• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more...

ordan Leggett   TE   Clemson

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS
Jordan reminds me a lot of Jared Cook. He has excellent athletic talent to block and catch the ball. He can play in a tree point stance on the line or as an H-Back blocking in space and when used on the outside as a receiver inside the fifty yard line he is difficult to defend. Jordan has the vision and run after the catch skills to be an impact offensive weapon for the team that selects him. He has those long arms and long legs that give him a big catch radios and makes it hard to cover him the deeper he is into his routes. With the right quarterback and in the right offensive system there is no reason why Jordan can’t become the impact player his talents suggest he should become if he starts paying attention to the details of his position. 

CONCERNS
The talent is there, the lack passion, consistency and attention to completing his blocking assignments is also there. He does a good job of gaining leverage and getting into his blocks quickly but seems to lack the passion to follow through and stay with his blocks although he very really gets penalized for holding and that is a positive…I guess. 

BOTTOM LINE
What can I say; when this kid turns it on he’s as good as the top Tight End in this draft. When he makes his blocks fully he’s one of the best blockers in this draft. It doesn’t matter where he lines up, on the line, in the backfield, out on the edge; anywhere, he has the talent to compete an impact in the passing game. So what do you do with a player who has talent and has played at a pretty good level for his college team but really should have been more constant and more impact because he lacks the attention to detail? You draft him and hope for the best. He seems like a good kid and maybe he just was overwhelmed by all of the positions and responsibilities in this offense. This is why you have scouts and this is why you trust them to get you all the information along with their opinions. I know I would. When Jordan plays well he is very good, when he doesn’t… he is average. 

Drew Boylhart  MAR.2017

Those comparisons have to do with their skill set and measurables but are not an indication of ceilings and floors...people take these comparisons too literally they are not the same player as their comparison they may be much better or much worse. Just to put it into perspective because I know jetfans have thick skulls nfl.coms comparison for odell Beckham jr was Victor Cruz....

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Those comparisons have to do with their skill set and measurables but are not an indication of ceilings and floors...people take these comparisons too literally they are not the same player as their comparison they may be much better or much worse. Just to put it into perspective because I know jetfans have thick skulls nfl.coms comparison for odell Beckham jr was Victor Cruz....

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

I actually think he's a good fifth round pick.  I like how he goes up and gets the ball like a man.  I'm just piling on Mac right now.

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Supposedly the kid can't block.  That's a big minus.  Same problem Gronk had before he buckled down and became one of the league's best blocking TEs.  Let's get him on Gronk's program ASAP.

The blocking issues are def why he fell this far. He's a dynamic pass catcher and playmaker... If they can get him to just be a decent blocker, this is an absolute steal. He's that good catching footballs. He's a big time mismatch. 

1 minute ago, DMan77 said:

The blocking issues are def why he fell this far. He's a dynamic pass catcher and playmaker... If they can get him to just be a decent blocker, this is an absolute steal. He's that good catching footballs. He's a big time mismatch. 

A lot of TEs are subpar blockers in college. Putting up receiving numbers is what gets you drafted, and that's what they work on more. I can hardly blame them.

Since we're not talking about left tackles, among TEs/WRs/RBs, blocking is a mindset. He doesn't need to pancake his man or bulldoze a path through a LB and two DBs to be an adequate-enough blocker. I think being a "dynamic pass catcher and playmaker" is a far harder skill to teach, to the degree that it's even teachable. 

He'll either be a willing blocker or he won't be. These guys are all athletic enough if the desire is there.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

A lot of TEs are subpar blockers in college. Putting up receiving numbers is what gets you drafted, and that's what they work on more. I can hardly blame them.

Since we're not talking about left tackles, among TEs/WRs/RBs, blocking is a mindset. He doesn't need to pancake his man or bulldoze a path through a LB and two DBs to be an adequate-enough blocker. I think being a "dynamic pass catcher and playmaker" is a far harder skill to teach, to the degree that it's even teachable. 

He'll either be a willing blocker or he won't be. These guys are all athletic enough if the desire is there.

True words!

Jordan is from the town I live in in Florida. He's a real solid young man. I've watched him grow since high school. This is a VERY good pick at the right time. I was hoping we'd wait and take him instead of Howard. Don't over react to the Kellen comparison - this kid is gonna be very good for the Jets!!

3 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

Leggett is the opposite of Kellen Davis. Leggett was a steal. I would have preferred to draft Butt because he is a better all around player and his injury issue isn't a big deal for a team not ready to compete. But landing Leggett in the 5th was a nice surprise for 2 reasons. First, he isn't a good blocker and second he isn't a player that gives it all on every play. But when  he plays hard he certainly is a potent weapon in the passing game which is why the Kellen Davis comp is a little baffling. 

He caught 70 passes out 70 attempts, how the hell can he be likened to Kellen Davis, and he can't block? You can at least teach a guy to use his body to cut people off, you can't teach natural athletic ability.

"Lazy Leggett" is the term I keep reading when looking him up. The physical talent is undeniable, but it's a material Red Flag if a NatlChamp & 2 time Mackey Award Finalist TE falls to the fifth and is selected AFTER players from Ashland, FIU, South Alabama, and a Torn ACL Michigan TE. Is it  REALLY THAT questionable of a motor and desire to play the sport at the professional level that caused him to fall that far? I hope not, but what I've come across indicates otherwise; I sense a tease of a pick that won't produce despite sheer physical talent mandating otherwise. 

Archived