TE Jordan Leggett

Lupz27

12 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

"Lazy Leggett" is the term I keep reading when looking him up. The physical talent is undeniable, but it's a material Red Flag if a NatlChamp & 2 time Mackey Award Finalist TE falls to the fifth and is selected AFTER players from Ashland, FIU, South Alabama, and a Torn ACL Michigan TE. Is it  REALLY THAT questionable of a motor and desire to play the sport at the professional level that caused him to fall that far? I hope not, but what I've come across indicates otherwise; I sense a tease of a pick that won't produce despite sheer physical talent mandating otherwise. 

Not all good NFLers come from big college programs. Come on, you know  this. 

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

Not to be the wet blanket, but he's different from Amaro how?

Amaro was soft, physically weak, had bad hands, and didn't go up to get the ball.  This guy is a smoother athlete and snatches the ball out of the air.  You want your TEs to play like Dennis Rodman.

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

"Lazy Leggett" is the term I keep reading when looking him up. The physical talent is undeniable, but it's a material Red Flag if a NatlChamp & 2 time Mackey Award Finalist TE falls to the fifth and is selected AFTER players from Ashland, FIU, South Alabama, and a Torn ACL Michigan TE. Is it  REALLY THAT questionable of a motor and desire to play the sport at the professional level that caused him to fall that far? I hope not, but what I've come across indicates otherwise; I sense a tease of a pick that won't produce despite sheer physical talent mandating otherwise. 

I read somewhere that of 70 targets he had 0 drops. 

20 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Supposedly the kid can't block.  That's a big minus.  Same problem Gronk had before he buckled down and became one of the league's best blocking TEs.  Let's get him on Gronk's program ASAP.

Had Mac not been a mad trader we could have secured a better TE. 

Are you guessing that jake butt will be better? We may have to wait a year to see he is coming off a major injury which should give legett a year worth of development to get ahead of him. If not butt who are you referring to? I think this kid is a pretty good prospect for where we landed him.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

3 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Are you guessing that jake butt will be better? We may have to wait a year to see he is coming off a major injury which should give legett a year worth of development to get ahead of him. If not butt who are you referring to? I think this kid is a pretty good prospect for where we landed him.

Exactly. Where you landed him. I'd have preferred Everett or Sheehan myself. Wasn't a Big Butt fan - to slow for me in today's NFL. 

22 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Supposedly the kid can't block.  That's a big minus.  Same problem Gronk had before he buckled down and became one of the league's best blocking TEs.  Let's get him on Gronk's program ASAP.

It's not that he can't block, he just hasn't shown much of an interest in it.  The net result is the same, but he has shown the ability to block when he applies himself.  It's a work ethic thing, not an inability to block.

The Kellen Davis comp is idiotic.  Leggett has great hands.  Davis couldn't catch water if he fell out of a boat.

1 hour ago, Powpow said:

He passed on Bucky so many times .. I dont get it there both bad blockers lol Leggett isn't bad tho. He carries his size well and stays on his feet . (Sudfeld had size but his legs and balance was bambi like) and he has terrific hands .  He will be a nice safety Net for the QBs

13 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

Can anyone explain why folks are against this pick for real reasons????

Considering his undeniable physical talent, the elite competition he faced, and the accolades he earned, IMO, it's rather telling that lesser prospects with WAAAY more of a learning curve due to lesser competition (smaller school TE picks) or are not as athletic (Butt, Kittle) were selected before him. I mentioned as such in a prior post.

12 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

From a value standpoint this is probably our second best pick of the draft.

Yes, He is s steal and EXCELLENT Talent Value at that pick in the 5th, but the constant criticism is NOT that he won't contribute as an offensive weapon, but WHETHER he WANTS to PLAY football with the necessary motor, consistency, and "want" to CAPITALIZE on his freak talent. Boom or Bust and I'm rooting for the former, but for him to drop THAT far makes me wary of the latter; Buyer Beware, but it was a NECESSARY pick. 

32 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

He passed on Bucky so many times .. I dont get it there both bad blockers lol Leggett isn't bad tho. He carries his size well and stays on his feet . (Sudfeld had size but his legs and balance was bambi like) and he has terrific hands .  He will be a nice safety Net for the QBs

Rather have Leggett than Hodges. Really wanted Everett or Sheehan, that dude is an anomaly.  Leggett looks like a reliable pass catcher and would create good matchups with 4 wr spread. 

58 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Considering his undeniable physical talent, the elite competition he faced, and the accolades he earned, IMO, it's rather telling that lesser prospects with WAAAY more of a learning curve due to lesser competition (smaller school TE picks) or are not as athletic (Butt, Kittle) were selected before him. I mentioned as such in a prior post.

Yes, He is s steal and EXCELLENT Talent Value at that pick in the 5th, but the constant criticism is NOT that he won't contribute as an offensive weapon, but WHETHER he WANTS to PLAY football with the necessary motor, consistency, and "want" to CAPITALIZE on his freak talent. Boom or Bust and I'm rooting for the former, but for him to drop THAT far makes me wary of the latter; Buyer Beware, but it was a NECESSARY pick. 

I hear what you are saying and you were clearly not one of the folks with irrational views. 

But at that pint if you want upside you have to take some risk. It is simple Jim Brown isn't getting drafted in round 5. 

JMO, so take it for what it is, but when you consider this kid's talent and the supposed reputation he has in the scouting community, I get the feeling that this kid doesn't love football, but plays the game because it comes easy to him and is a way for him to have a better way of life  . I would be more worried about giving him big money on his 2nd contract then what he will do in his 1st .

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

JMO, so take it for what it is, but when you consider this kid's talent and the supposed reputation he has in the scouting community, I get the feeling that this kid doesn't love football, but plays the game because it comes easy to him and is a way for him to have a better way of life  . I would be more worried about giving him big money on his 2nd contract then what he will do in his 1st .

Great point. Other than Gronk how many TEs get 2nd large contracts? Even the Saints traded Graham. Pats let Bennett go instead of re-upping. Luckily you have to be a really special TE to get a huge contract.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Instant improvement to the TE position imagine him and ASJ healthy and with a level head. 

Great competition now, ASJ thinking, "damn, this might be my last chance, don't want some lazy azz newbie to beat me out".

Leggett thinking, "ain't no way in hell im letting some drunk that sh*t himself beat me out"

Perfect competitive storm

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Great competition now, ASJ thinking, "damn, this might be my last chance, don't want some lazy azz newbie to beat me out".

Leggett thinking, "ain't no way in hell im letting some drunk that sh*t himself beat me out"

Perfect competitive storm

They're both really talented and both have their off the field issues (ASJ w/ alcohol and Leggett w/ work ethic).  But, at the end of the day, having these guys as your the top two TEs (in either order) is a huge upgrade from what the Jets have been running out there the last few years.

1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

From what I've seen, and read Leggett plays his best in big games, and in big spots. Not exactly what I would call lazy. More a matter of motivation. It's not ideal, of course, but comparing him to guys that have no love for the game, or have talent but haven't actually shown it on the field is just wrong. I've seen him do it

I'd much rather have a guy that plays better against the best, and in crunch time than a guy who padded his stats in garbage time, or against inferior competition like Amaro. 

It's like comparing Reggie to Winfield. 

For all we know the big NY stage in the NFL will bring out the best in him. 

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

From what I've seen, and read Leggett plays his best in big games, and in big spots. Not exactly what I would call lazy. More a matter of motivation. It's not ideal, of course, but comparing him to guys that have no love for the game, or have talent but haven't actually shown it on the field is just wrong. I've seen him do it

I'd much rather have a guy that plays better against the best, and in crunch time than a guy who padded his stats in garbage time, or against inferior competition like Amaro. 

Your right & every game in the NFL is a big game. I'm sure it was tough for him to get up for some of the schmos they play in college.

35 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I PRAY that you're correct.

I'm YET to be convinced Clemson players translate to the NFL. In addition, when stacked against all the other TE prospects, aside from OJ, Njoku, and Engram, Leggett was a SUPERIOR prospect athletically and competition-wise compared to the rest that were drafted before him. Only thing I can correlate for SUCH a talent from an ELITE program to PLUMMET to the 5th is his weak motor or lack of desire for the game. He got to go to college and now an NFL paycheck based on his natural gifts, I just hope for the Jets' sake, Leggett hasn't just been coasting on talent and runs into a wall of Reality at the NFL level and realizing that it takes a strong Work Ethic to have continued success at THAT level where your replacement can be drafted the following spring. 

I'm rooting like hell for Leggett to be our legit starting TE and offensive weapon to help develop our young QB, whomever or wherever He may be . . . . .

22 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Except I don't expect too many "big stage games" this season.  Also, is putting a guy known as "lazy" on a bad team like the Jets really the best idea?

22 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Sounds like Jace Amaro. 

On 4/29/2017 at 11:36 PM, thebuzzardman said:

Not to be the wet blanket, but he's different from Amaro how?

One guy has 10 3/8" hands, the other 9" hands.  I'm barely 5'9" and my hands are bigger.

On 4/29/2017 at 2:40 PM, bealeb319 said:

Those comparisons have to do with their skill set and measurables but are not an indication of ceilings and floors...people take these comparisons too literally they are not the same player as their comparison they may be much better or much worse. Just to put it into perspective because I know jetfans have thick skulls nfl.coms comparison for odell Beckham jr was Victor Cruz....

Right.  I hate Kellen Davis more than the next guy, but coming out he was a nice prospect.  Leggett would seem to have more upside, if anything, but still...

23 hours ago, Tinstar said:

In the video below, Morton is already riding him telling him he wants the guy that was catching the seam passes in the championship game..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/All-Access-Jets-Staff-Calls-TE-Jordan-Leggett/d1828d25-1432-4e91-ad45-8b12254cfe32

Archived