TE Jordan Leggett

Lupz27

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

In the video below, Morton is already riding him telling him he wants the guy that was catching the seam passes in the championship game..

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/All-Access-Jets-Staff-Calls-TE-Jordan-Leggett/d1828d25-1432-4e91-ad45-8b12254cfe32

VALIDATION!

Not a good sign that he needs a constant fire lit up his @$$;)

Now saw the video . . . something about Morton's demeanor comes across as NO-$hit coaching style (maybe it's that twang with which he speaks) that is reassuring and hopefully will get the best out of Leggett who has his critics. 

I am a fan of the pick and the prospect, just hope that I'm wrong about what I've read regarding his lack of fire for the game (or perhaps it's JUST when it comes to blocking).

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gas2No99 said:

VALIDATION!

Not a good sign that he needs a constant fire lit up his @$$;)

just setting expectations...

I don't know his whole story. I thought the lazy label was early in his Clemson career not sure if it still applied to his Jr/Sr years. He was a Mackey Award finalist the past 2 years

Just now, C Mart said:

just setting expectations...

Don't have to do that with Adams, he already did it himself when asked by Jeane Coackley :wub: first word that comes to mind: Jamal Adams?

He said: Legendary. 

THAT is the type of mindset you want your players to have. It seems, w/Leggett it may take some extra push to get him performing consistently to maximize his NATURAL talent.

Just now, Gas2No99 said:

Don't have to do that with Adams, he already did it himself when asked by Jeane Coackley :wub: first word that comes to mind: Jamal Adams?

He said: Legendary. 

THAT is the type of mindset you want your players to have. It seems, w/Leggett it may take some extra push to get him performing consistently to maximize his NATURAL talent.

absolutely! but they all aren''t the same. It's part of the reason he probably fell..It doesn't mean he can't play or become a very good player..

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

absolutely! but they all aren''t the same. It's part of the reason he probably fell..It doesn't mean he can't play or become a very good player..

read up what I posted on him earlier in this thread. He's a typical Boom or Bust and can he coast at the NFL level or will he apply himself? The fact lesser (physically and competition-wise) TE prospects when ahead of him hammers the fact, IMO, there is a legit "football desire" concern. He may not make it to a 2nd contract if that's the case. I PRAY I am wrong. 

we'll see in the summer. . . . 

On 4/30/2017 at 8:18 AM, jack48 said:

this guy does not block well. he is a receiver. I actually don;t know what Kellen Davis was

Do not follow college football but if Clemson is a good passing team was he asked to block much? I don't know the answer but I think we should find out soon 

5 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

Do not follow college football but if Clemson is a good passing team was he asked to block much? I don't know the answer but I think we should find out soon 

Westhoff, a Clemson guy, said that he used to be called lazy leggett. Not s great sign for a blocker.. Then again Evan engram isn't much of a blocker either.

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Westhoff, a Clemson guy, said that he used to be called lazy leggett. Not s great sign for a blocker.. Then again Evan engram isn't much of a blocker either.

Engram will be primarily a HUGE slot WR and Shifter to expose defensive formations and coverages. He's a GREAT chess piece. I like the pick for the Giants at THAT point to take their O to a completely HIGHER level. 

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Except I don't expect too many "big stage games" this season.  Also, is putting a guy known as "lazy" on a bad team like the Jets really the best idea?

Do you guys even know who it was that referred to Leggett as "Lazy"?

I'll tell you....It was Leggett himself. HE referred to Half as "lazy". He knows he could have worked harder and been even better, and now he has experienced what that cost him.... Probably 2-3 rounds and a few million dollars. But the fact that he was candid about it, and wasn't EVER given that label by his teammates or coaches tells you that this guy has a higher ceiling than most are giving him credit for - and when you see his actual talent level, production, and how he showed up in big games and big spots, then this kid could wind up being the steal of the Jets draft.

Watch some interviews with him, he's a likeable, smart guy. He's got good character, he just needs to be pushed a bit in the right direction on the field. 

19 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Westoff if a crusty old dinosaur that the game has passed by. Love the guy, but he's definitely in the Get off my Lawn club...

On 4/29/2017 at 2:42 PM, munchmemory said:

Supposedly the kid can't block.  That's a big minus.  Same problem Gronk had before he buckled down and became one of the league's best blocking TEs.  Let's get him on Gronk's program ASAP.

He has got to want it first. That's his problem - lack of motivation - and I am not sure Bowles is the guy to bring that out in him. Hopefully he wants to be a great player in this league. If not he won't outlast his rookie contract.

25 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'll tell you....It was Leggett himself. HE referred to Half as "lazy". He knows he could have worked harder and been even better, and now he has experienced what that cost him.... Probably 2-3 rounds and a few million dollars. But the fact that he was candid about it, and wasn't EVER given that label by his teammates or coaches tells you that this guy has a higher ceiling than most are giving him credit for - and when you see his actual talent level, production, and how he showed up in big games and big spots, then this kid could wind up being the steal of the Jets draft.

Watch some interviews with him, he's a likeable, smart guy. He's got good character, he just needs to be pushed a bit in the right direction on the field. 

I like the fact that he caught every f*cking pass & played big in every big game! When your a rookie in the NFL, every games a big game!

40 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Engram will be primarily a HUGE slot WR and Shifter to expose defensive formations and coverages. He's a GREAT chess piece. I like the pick for the Giants at THAT point to take their O to a completely HIGHER level. 

The only thing standing between leggett and being a force in the offensive game was his 40 time. Then again guys like gronk and Bennett had less than ideal 40 times. 

I'm very optimistic about leggett.. He wasn't one of my top choices at TE, but he was a steal in the 5th. 

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I'm glad to hear that and I'll be thrilled to be wrong about the kid. 

26 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Lazy TE's always work out for the Jets. 

I really think this pick is an enigma. It was necessary, too good to be true, and thus some skepticism (myself included) on IF Leggett will last to another contract.

these are the arguments I see on how he can pan out - and thus fodder for argument on whether Mac COMPROMISED too much talent (got too cute) by trading back so often:

1) Kid has the talent and shows up in the BIG games as a weapon. BUT he has COASTED on pure given talent and it has gotten him as far as a college education and an NFL paycheck. For him to fall to the 5th round means his head is not in the game, as scouts have admonished, and will flame out completely. He labeled himself as lazy at times.

2) The kid has natural talent for the game and can be effective, but at the Pro Level, EVERYONE has talent, and if he doesn't continue to work and IMPROVE his game, he won't last in the league. His lack of work ethic will be his demise in a competitive league.

3 ) Offensive weapon with natural talent, a good guy, who played when motivated, and NOW that he lost MILLIONS of dollar$ by plummeting in the draft, the light has gone off and he's going to TEAR it UP! - chip on his shoulder. A motivated STEAL! (best case scenario) 

4) He's a good person and football player but just HATES to block and will constantly need to have coaches ride him to fulfill potential. A frustrating tease because he can be a better all-around TE and just isn't. 

5) Glorified WR in a TEs body w/NO inclination to block and another Jace Amaro. 

Help me out here .  .  . which of these scenarios do you think best correctly forecasts Leggett ?

He's an interesting piece, and quite honestly he looks faster than the 4,71 40 he ran.  Off the game tapes, I had him pegged in the 4.5 range, so the slow speed was surprising (Tabor too).  I thought in college, he was more Dustin Keller than Kellen Davis, but the speed score is surprising to me.  

He does have good hands, and he'll have a shot with ASJ suspended to start the year.  

I'm not sure if he's a bad blocker, or he's just bad at reading blitzes as a blocker.  In the Ohio State game, they used him fairly often as the lead blocker for most of Watson's designed runs and he did pretty well.  He seemed to struggle badly when he was supposed to disengage from one blocker and pick up a blitzer.  

I think he has a chance to develop into a poor man's version of Travis Kelce (they are somewhat comparable physically according to mockdraftable) but that's really just the best case scenario.  If he can improve his inline blocking, then I think he could really be helpful to the team because he has the hands, size, and enough speed to be a force. 

15 hours ago, jetfan39 said:

I am like you. Do not care for the college game. rEad a scouting report on his blocking and the fact that he is lazy. What better man to coach himup that Mr. Locker Room--Todd Blowes?  He does have receiving talent and good size, though.  Sounds like Amaro, no?

Don't forget that his college QB was Deshaun Watson. Mike Williams is credited quite often for making Watson look better due to many inaccurate throws. If that's the case and now that I have heard Leggett is 70 catches for 70 attempts that is a huge plus. Really warming up to this pick.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Seems the lazy tag was from his younger days..

Clemson's Jordan Leggett keeps pushing for his fallen teammate

Nov 24, 2016

A Livestrong bracelet is a fixture on Jordan Leggett's wrist, but it takes a beating. In the trenches at Clemson, it invariably stretches or tears, so a few times each season, a new one arrives in the mail as a replacement. As Leggett's playing time has increased since his freshman year and his tenacity as a blocker has blossomed, he has started wrapping tape around the bracelet to keep it intact, but it still snaps from time to time.

"They're getting broken more often," said Denise Lockwood, who's been supplying the senior tight end with the bracelets from his hometown of Navarre, Florida, since he arrived at Clemson. "We just sent him 10 more."

The bracelets are meant to be symbolic, to serve as reminders. But for Leggett, this routine is particularly fitting. He wears it for the teammate who'd always pushed him to work harder, and now each time he needs a little extra, Ian Lockwood's family is still there with a little more motivation.

Jordan Leggett was a mainstay around Ian Lockwood's house and family before Lockwood's death in 2011. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

Six years after Lockwood died of brain cancer, Leggett's career at Clemson is coming to a close. He arrived overmatched, blissfully unaware of how hard his path to success would be. He is leaving as a two-time finalist for the Mackey Award -- given annually to college football's most outstanding tight end -- and as the school record holder for catches, yards and touchdowns for a tight end. Lockwood has been with him every step of the way.

"We both loved football," Leggett said, "and with it being taken away from him, I just try to keep his legacy on my shoulders."

Leggett was a high school sophomore when he was paired up to share a locker with Lockwood, a senior and team captain at Navarre High School. Leggett was all talent -- bigger and faster than nearly everyone else on the field. Success came easily. Lockwood was all effort -- "one of those 110 percent all the time kids," his mother, Denise, said. Lockwood asked to be partnered with Leggett. He wanted to see how good Leggett could be if that talent was matched with Lockwood's drive.

The two became fast friends, and Leggett soon felt he was part of the Lockwood family. When Ian got sick, Leggett became a fixture at the house. The two were virtually inseparable.

Lockwood played six games his senior season in 2010 before the cancer forced him from the field. He delayed a third brain surgery until after Navarre's season ended -- a one-point defeat in triple overtime that Denise described as devastating. The family became close with former Florida and current Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, staying at the Meyer house on trips to Gainesville for treatment. Lockwood addressed the Gators before their bowl game that December, barely able to get out of bed but determined to make an impact. Leggett had planned to visit Lockwood in the hospital on Jan. 28, 2011, but Denise said Ian wasn't feeling up to it. Ian died hours later.

"It was rough," Leggett said. "A sad day."

But it wasn't the end of Ian Lockwood's story. Leggett and the rest of his Navarre teammates have seen to that.

Leggett was promised Lockwood's No. 10 at Clemson, but that didn't pan out. Instead, he wears No. 16 -- the sum of Lockwood's high school jersey and his own.

When Leggett left Navarre for Clemson, Denise gave him a small vial with Ian's ashes inside. She'd done it for all of Ian's former teammates who'd moved along. Most kept it close -- on a bedside table or hanging from a rearview mirror -- but Leggett had another idea. Before Clemson's spring game in 2013, he walked to one of the 10-yard lines at Memorial Stadium and spread his friend's ashes there. Three years later, the Lockwoods watched from the stands as Leggett and Clemson knocked off Florida State. Afterward, they took a family photo at the 10-yard line.

Earlier this season Ian Lockwood's family visited Memorial Stadium, where a portion of his ashes were spread. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

For Leggett, however, the mementos are everywhere.

On his first bus ride around Clemson Memorial Stadium (aka Death Valley) before Clemson hosted Georgia in 2013, he texted Denise. He was thinking of Ian. He could feel Ian with him.

"I cried a lot," Denise said. "Then we watched the bus stop and saw Jordan run down the hill, and it was really special."

There's a cross hanging in Leggett's bedroom that Denise gave him. Leggett looks at it every day and thinks of Ian.

"All my passwords for social media have something to do with him," Leggett said.

What matters most, however, are those trips back home. Six years after Ian's death, Leggett still thinks of the Lockwood house as a second home and still calls Denise "Mama." They'll make sushi together for dinner or go out on the Lockwoods' boat to relax. In so many ways, it's as if Ian is still there with them. The ashes and the cross and the bracelet are Leggett's reminders, but for the Lockwoods, simply having Leggett in their lives is a way to stay close to their son.

"It helps fill that little empty spot they have in their heart now," Leggett said.

The Lockwood family has helped push Leggett, too, and that's something he's desperately needed during his career.

The photo of Leggett scattering Ian's ashes came up in Denise's Facebook Timehop app recently, and she was astonished at how young he looked. He was thin and baby-faced, hardly the physically imposing presence he is today on Clemson's offense. Those early years were a struggle for Leggett, far from home with limited playing time and an uncertain future. He'd chosen Clemson because it felt like family, but he wondered if he'd made the right decision. Denise was astonished.

"We told him to go back, to show them you want it," Denise said. "And that's what he did."

Jordan Leggett spread ashes of his friend and high school teammate, Ian Lockwood, at Memorial Stadium before Clemson's 2013 spring game. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

It wasn't that Leggett had been lazy, it's just that he'd been used to things coming easily. He was talented, and that was both an asset and a drawback.

"It wasn't uncommon when kids are more gifted talent-wise, they rely on those things," said Chad Lashley, Leggett's high school coach. "There were times you had to challenge him and get onto him, but he'd always respond."

Ian had seen that early, and he pushed Leggett to make the most of his ability. Denise has done the same.

Leggett returned to Clemson with renewed enthusiasm. He hit the weight room and bulked up. He worked on his blocking to become a more refined tight end. He engaged his teammates, pushing them to follow his lead. He tried to follow in Ian's footsteps.

"It took a little while early on to get him to understand," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. "He's just become so much more of a complete player these last couple years and has impacted our team in a great way. He's become a great leader, too. He's become one of the most committed guys."

Leggett finished his junior season with 40 catches for 525 yards and eight touchdowns, a school record for tight ends. He considered leaving for the NFL, but the draw of a final run for a championship was strong. He wanted to keep getting better, to finish what he started. It's another lesson learned from his friend, who was forced to leave so many dreams unfulfilled.

Denise sees the impact it's made. Leggett is stronger, more humble. He's comfortable in his role but pushes to do more. She sees the impact her son made on Leggett, and for her, it's a way to keep Ian's memory alive.

And so she sends the bracelets, and Leggett wears them as both a reminder and a motivator. Before each game, he'll get a text from Denise, just saying she's thinking of him and wishing him luck, and he knows the family will be watching him.

"Everybody wants to make Ian proud," Denise said. "They work hard knowing he didn't get that opportunity."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18124397/clemson-tigers-tight-end-jordan-leggett-lives-strong-fallen-high-school-teammate

31 minutes ago, Dcat said:

WTF is that?

What does that mean?  Context?  Cause I surely don't like the sound of that tweet.

48 hours after he was drafted he asked someone to swap his Jet jersey for a patriots jersey. It's ok because later he deleted it and said it was a typo. Team leadership. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

48 hours after he was drafted he asked someone to swap his Jet jersey for a patriots jersey. It's ok because later he deleted it and said it was a typo. Team leadership. 

Don't like him already.

45 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Seems the lazy tag was from his younger days..

Clemson's Jordan Leggett keeps pushing for his fallen teammate

Nov 24, 2016

A Livestrong bracelet is a fixture on Jordan Leggett's wrist, but it takes a beating. In the trenches at Clemson, it invariably stretches or tears, so a few times each season, a new one arrives in the mail as a replacement. As Leggett's playing time has increased since his freshman year and his tenacity as a blocker has blossomed, he has started wrapping tape around the bracelet to keep it intact, but it still snaps from time to time.

"They're getting broken more often," said Denise Lockwood, who's been supplying the senior tight end with the bracelets from his hometown of Navarre, Florida, since he arrived at Clemson. "We just sent him 10 more."

The bracelets are meant to be symbolic, to serve as reminders. But for Leggett, this routine is particularly fitting. He wears it for the teammate who'd always pushed him to work harder, and now each time he needs a little extra, Ian Lockwood's family is still there with a little more motivation.

Jordan Leggett was a mainstay around Ian Lockwood's house and family before Lockwood's death in 2011. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

Six years after Lockwood died of brain cancer, Leggett's career at Clemson is coming to a close. He arrived overmatched, blissfully unaware of how hard his path to success would be. He is leaving as a two-time finalist for the Mackey Award -- given annually to college football's most outstanding tight end -- and as the school record holder for catches, yards and touchdowns for a tight end. Lockwood has been with him every step of the way.

"We both loved football," Leggett said, "and with it being taken away from him, I just try to keep his legacy on my shoulders."

Leggett was a high school sophomore when he was paired up to share a locker with Lockwood, a senior and team captain at Navarre High School. Leggett was all talent -- bigger and faster than nearly everyone else on the field. Success came easily. Lockwood was all effort -- "one of those 110 percent all the time kids," his mother, Denise, said. Lockwood asked to be partnered with Leggett. He wanted to see how good Leggett could be if that talent was matched with Lockwood's drive.

The two became fast friends, and Leggett soon felt he was part of the Lockwood family. When Ian got sick, Leggett became a fixture at the house. The two were virtually inseparable.

Lockwood played six games his senior season in 2010 before the cancer forced him from the field. He delayed a third brain surgery until after Navarre's season ended -- a one-point defeat in triple overtime that Denise described as devastating. The family became close with former Florida and current Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, staying at the Meyer house on trips to Gainesville for treatment. Lockwood addressed the Gators before their bowl game that December, barely able to get out of bed but determined to make an impact. Leggett had planned to visit Lockwood in the hospital on Jan. 28, 2011, but Denise said Ian wasn't feeling up to it. Ian died hours later.

"It was rough," Leggett said. "A sad day."

But it wasn't the end of Ian Lockwood's story. Leggett and the rest of his Navarre teammates have seen to that.

Leggett was promised Lockwood's No. 10 at Clemson, but that didn't pan out. Instead, he wears No. 16 -- the sum of Lockwood's high school jersey and his own.

When Leggett left Navarre for Clemson, Denise gave him a small vial with Ian's ashes inside. She'd done it for all of Ian's former teammates who'd moved along. Most kept it close -- on a bedside table or hanging from a rearview mirror -- but Leggett had another idea. Before Clemson's spring game in 2013, he walked to one of the 10-yard lines at Memorial Stadium and spread his friend's ashes there. Three years later, the Lockwoods watched from the stands as Leggett and Clemson knocked off Florida State. Afterward, they took a family photo at the 10-yard line.

Earlier this season Ian Lockwood's family visited Memorial Stadium, where a portion of his ashes were spread. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

For Leggett, however, the mementos are everywhere.

On his first bus ride around Clemson Memorial Stadium (aka Death Valley) before Clemson hosted Georgia in 2013, he texted Denise. He was thinking of Ian. He could feel Ian with him.

"I cried a lot," Denise said. "Then we watched the bus stop and saw Jordan run down the hill, and it was really special."

There's a cross hanging in Leggett's bedroom that Denise gave him. Leggett looks at it every day and thinks of Ian.

"All my passwords for social media have something to do with him," Leggett said.

What matters most, however, are those trips back home. Six years after Ian's death, Leggett still thinks of the Lockwood house as a second home and still calls Denise "Mama." They'll make sushi together for dinner or go out on the Lockwoods' boat to relax. In so many ways, it's as if Ian is still there with them. The ashes and the cross and the bracelet are Leggett's reminders, but for the Lockwoods, simply having Leggett in their lives is a way to stay close to their son.

"It helps fill that little empty spot they have in their heart now," Leggett said.

The Lockwood family has helped push Leggett, too, and that's something he's desperately needed during his career.

The photo of Leggett scattering Ian's ashes came up in Denise's Facebook Timehop app recently, and she was astonished at how young he looked. He was thin and baby-faced, hardly the physically imposing presence he is today on Clemson's offense. Those early years were a struggle for Leggett, far from home with limited playing time and an uncertain future. He'd chosen Clemson because it felt like family, but he wondered if he'd made the right decision. Denise was astonished.

"We told him to go back, to show them you want it," Denise said. "And that's what he did."

Jordan Leggett spread ashes of his friend and high school teammate, Ian Lockwood, at Memorial Stadium before Clemson's 2013 spring game. Courtesy of Denise Lockwood

It wasn't that Leggett had been lazy, it's just that he'd been used to things coming easily. He was talented, and that was both an asset and a drawback.

"It wasn't uncommon when kids are more gifted talent-wise, they rely on those things," said Chad Lashley, Leggett's high school coach. "There were times you had to challenge him and get onto him, but he'd always respond."

Ian had seen that early, and he pushed Leggett to make the most of his ability. Denise has done the same.

Leggett returned to Clemson with renewed enthusiasm. He hit the weight room and bulked up. He worked on his blocking to become a more refined tight end. He engaged his teammates, pushing them to follow his lead. He tried to follow in Ian's footsteps.

"It took a little while early on to get him to understand," Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. "He's just become so much more of a complete player these last couple years and has impacted our team in a great way. He's become a great leader, too. He's become one of the most committed guys."

Leggett finished his junior season with 40 catches for 525 yards and eight touchdowns, a school record for tight ends. He considered leaving for the NFL, but the draw of a final run for a championship was strong. He wanted to keep getting better, to finish what he started. It's another lesson learned from his friend, who was forced to leave so many dreams unfulfilled.

Denise sees the impact it's made. Leggett is stronger, more humble. He's comfortable in his role but pushes to do more. She sees the impact her son made on Leggett, and for her, it's a way to keep Ian's memory alive.

And so she sends the bracelets, and Leggett wears them as both a reminder and a motivator. Before each game, he'll get a text from Denise, just saying she's thinking of him and wishing him luck, and he knows the family will be watching him.

"Everybody wants to make Ian proud," Denise said. "They work hard knowing he didn't get that opportunity."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18124397/clemson-tigers-tight-end-jordan-leggett-lives-strong-fallen-high-school-teammate

Thanks for sharing that!  I'll be definitely rooting for the kid to succeed!

Agree. That article does lift some of the skepticism mentioned by pro scouts on Leggett's dedication and his "love of football"

If this kid applies himself, it could be one of the better bargains Mac has selected this late in the draft. 

21 hours ago, Jetster said:

I like the fact that he caught every f*cking pass & played big in every big game! When your a rookie in the NFL, every games a big game!

He showed up in big games and made clutch catches. If he needs to work harder, then I hope our coaching staff pushes him. But, to me he plays hard and gets results.

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

He showed up in big games and made clutch catches. If he needs to work harder, then I hope our coaching staff pushes him. But, to me he plays hard and gets results.

If he can't get motivated under the expert tutelage of Coach Bowles, he's a lost cause.

Archived