Jeremy Clark CB: Round 6 (197 Overall)

JetNation

Jeremy_Clark2.jpg

Jeremy_Clark.pngThe NY Jets selected CB Jeremy Clark from Michigan in the 6th round. Clark is an interesting pick, reports all say he would have gone earlier but he is recovering from a torn ACL. He has excellent size for a cornerback (6’3″) and it is a position of need for the Jets. Free agent acquisition Morris Claiborne would seem to have a starting job, and there will be a competition at the other spot. From his scouting report on NFL.com:

Clark impressed them with the way he began his senior season, starting the first three games (10 tackles, two pass break-ups) before tearing his left ACL in the fourth game of the year. He attempted to get a sixth year of eligibility but was denied by the NCAA because he redshirted the 2012 season without an injury.

STRENGTHS

Exciting size and length outside. Is an imposing figure in press coverage. Maximizes arm length when attacking passing lanes. Ball skills are solid. Athletic enough to play in multiple coverages. Displays necessary timing for high-point disruption even in a retreat. Able to maintain his feel for route down the field. Has a make-up gear when beaten and can close out separation distance. Looks to run through the receiver and deliver some thump after the catch. Heads up tackler looks to attack the legs and wrap-up. Has potential to challenge for a role as gunner or jammer on special teams.

WEAKNESSES

Leggy transitions can put him behind when forced to open and run. Tends to bend at the waist and lean into receivers when matching their release. Lacks fluidity to recover quickly when beaten by route fakes. Will struggle to stick with complex routes. Doesn’t always play to his size. Slow to disengage from perimeter blocks. Too passive on the perimeter and needs an angrier heart against the run. Needs to improve his lower body strength. Season-ending ACL tear will likely prevent him from running and proving his speed pre-draft.

https://twitter.com/jetswhispers/status/858416854657892352

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Ye9yG0G718A

Click here to read the full story...

Despite ACL, Michigan DB Jeremy Clark confident in NFL future

His 6-3, 220-pound frame appeals to teams as NFL draft approaches

At February’s NFL scouting combine, former Michigan defensive back Jeremy Clark wasn’t sure about his NFL future.

Almost two months later, he’s much more confident.

Despite the ACL tear and surgery that kept him from doing nearly anything at the combine — though he put up 20 bench press reps of 225 pounds, third among all cornerbacks — he got a chance to talk to teams and feel them out.

He has continued to rehab from the injury suffered in September and visited a few teams: Oakland Raiders, Indianapolis Colts, New York Jets and Detroit Lions.

They all say the same thing, nowadays people come back from an ACL like it’s nothing, so it’s not something to be worried about,” Clark said. “There’s different schemes with all the teams. Some teams like the big, press corner, that’s where they like me at and some teams just like my size.”

Which may be as important as anything, given he is 6 feet, 3⅜ inches tall and 220 pounds, the tallest and heaviest corner available in this draft class.

Related:

“They’re saying a guy like me is rare, to be as athletic as I am and to be that big,” Clark said. “So everybody likes that about me. A lot of people said I was a natural out there.”

Yet they all think he’s a cornerback, with none of those teams looking at him as a safety.

“Nobody has really talked to me about going undrafted,” Clark said. “After talking to teams and seeing the interest, I’m not worried about that aspect of it.”

Even with only four games of film from last season before the injury, Clark showed enough for teams to see how he can run. The doctors are telling him he’ll be a “full go” in July, right around when NFL training camps begin.

“They’re just like, 'you have to take your time, you only get one career, don’t do anything stupid,' ” Clark said.

Teams noticed his evolution throughout his career, moving from safety to corner midway through college, and focused primarily on the 2016 games.

“I told them I just got better with reps,” Clark said. “They see the exact same thing. … A lot of teams think I’m a true corner. When they throw on the film, they see I’m fast out there.”

The changing approach to ACL rehab is paying off for Clark, as well.

The team visits were more of an introductory environment, touring the facilities, meeting with the administrators and coaches and building a personal relationship.

Clark said his background working with secondary coach Mike Zordich was a repeated topic and said there were many compliments for U-M’s defensive backs, saying “it was one of the most put-together secondaries they’ve seen.”

Clark intends to spend Saturday at home in Kentucky, watching Rounds 4-7 of the NFL draft.

“I’m a football fan, so I’d like to keep up with everybody, regardless,” he said.

Sixth round

• Cornerback Jeremy Clark was drafted No. 197 by the New York Jets. His situation was always interesting because Clark tore his ACL in Michigan’s fourth game last season. He was strong in the first few games, playing aggressive and making 10 tackles with three pass breakups. After the tear, he was out of mind for the team and NFL personnel. But his size at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds was massive for a cornerback and he showed on tape that he is able to run. While some thought that meant he would play his previous position of safety, the tantalizing aspect of him at corner got him a combine invite, even though he couldn’t do anything with his legs. Still he had an impressive 20 reps on the bench, raising his profile.

Didn't see a thread (understandable) for the last pick CB Jones so I thought I would put this here   

Derrick Jones/DB/Mississippi: Jones was graded as a street free agent by scouts entering the season, which was understandable. His four seasons on the Ole Miss football team was split between receiver as well as cornerback, and Jones never developed at any one position. He put much of that concern to rest during pro day. Jones first turned in a terrific workout then performed brilliantly in position drills. Measuring 6020/189 pounds, he touched 41 inches in the vertical jump, 11 feet in the broad jump and timed as fast as 4.40 in the 40. During cornerback drills, Jones was fluid, smooth and very quick. Those on hand mentioned he looked more like a second-day pick rather than a street free agent. At the very least, Jones will now get late-round consideration. 

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Didn't see a thread (understandable) for the last pick CB Jones so I thought I would put this here   

Thanks, I can't find ANYTHING definitive or in-depth on the guy. 

37 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

Thanks, I can't find ANYTHING definitive or in-depth on the guy. 

Because he was flipping between WR & CB.

It's interesting when Maccagnan mentioned he was interested in trading down to acquire more picks he said you can still find terrific players in the later rounds and referenced Richard Sherman in the 5th as a converted WR.  Seems he may have been zeroing in on Jones.

Have to give Tony Pauline credit. His site does a great job on the pro days. I had heard about Jones on Sirius radio a few weeks ago and did a google search and came across Tony's pro day info and saved it my draft notes.  I just stumbled upon it relooking at my notes. 

It was interesting that link I included has pro day info on the 2 safeties, Leggett and  Donahue too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jets sign CB Jeremy Clark, 6th-round draft pick

Jets Rookie Minicamp

The Jets on Wednesday signed cornerback Jeremy Clark, a sixth-round draft pick.

They have now signed three of the nine players whom they drafted late last month.

All three of the signed players so far -- Clark, running back Elijah McGuire, and cornerback Derrick Jones -- were Round 6 picks. They were the Jets' final selections in this draft. 

The Jets' unsigned draft picks are safety Jamal Adams, safety Marcus Mayewide receiver ArDarius Stewart, wide receiver Chad Hansen, tight end Jordan Leggett, and outside linebacker Dylan Donahue

Like all draft picks, Clark received a four-year deal. He was the 197th overall pick. 

Enunwa sees changes

Here is a breakdown of his contract, via overthecap.com's estimate. The only guaranteed money in the contract is the signing bonus. 

Total max value: $2,548,424 

Signing bonus: $148,424

Yearly salary cap numbers (2017-20): $502,106, $592,106, $682,106, $772,106

Archived