Maybe This is Why the Jets Suck

The Troll

Just now, The Troll said:

Four defensive backs drafted this year, including in the first two rounds.

Four offensive linemen drafted in the last FIVE YEARS, none higher than the fourth round.

I'm fine with their picks this year, but I am sad they didn't grab any OL.

But most places agreed it was a fairly weak class. No use in reaching just to say "hey look, we took OL!" 

This team is a few drafts away from really getting where we need to be.  We might as well take the best players available and not try to push needs because no matter what direction we went in there was still always going to be holes.

i do agree I wanted oline badly but were just gonna have to address it next year.

Just now, Persiussa said:

This team is a few drafts away from really getting where we need to be.  We might as well take the best players available and not try to push needs because no matter what direction we went in there was still always going to be holes.

i do agree I wanted oline badly but were just gonna have to address it next year.

We're not going BAP tho

This entire draft is the Todd Bowles asskissfest

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I'm fine with their picks this year, but I am sad they didn't grab any OL.

But most places agreed it was a fairly weak class. No use in reaching just to say "hey look, we took OL!" 

Crazy thing is our OL isn't even that bad.  The main problems are no Qb, pass rush and we needed another receiver either wideout or tight end

Just now, thadude said:

Crazy thing is our OL isn't even that bad.  The main problems are no Qb, pass rush and we needed another receiver either wideout or tight end

It's just that LT piece that kills me! Not having that anchor to look to makes me feel like it can't be better than just OK.

But you're right.. Our guards are solid. I think RT is all set. Even our "new" center did a decent job... Just need a little more depth and an LT and it's really pretty good!

4 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

It's just that LT piece that kills me! Not having that anchor to look to makes me feel like it can't be better than just OK.

But you're right.. Our guards are solid. I think RT is all set. Even our "new" center did a decent job... Just need a little more depth and an LT and it's really pretty good!

I would have loved Cam at 39 but he wouldn't have fallen that far plus no way Mac drafts him he doesn't play Strong Safety

Dallas and Tennessee should be the blueprints of how to build a team right now. They both sunk a ton of draft capital into the offensive line and as a result, they have elite running games that take the pressure off their young QBs. Young QBs that look like franchise QBs because they are afforded the time to do so.

Instead the Jets spend premium picks on defense every single year, and do it poorly, mind you. We've ran a 3-4 for TWELVE years, never had an elite edge rusher, and spent one first rounder in trying to get one. That's one first rounder out of 15, only four of which were spent on offense. They take fliers and draft projects at skill positions and the offensive line and are almost completely dependent on free agency to be competitive because these projects rarely pan out.

Of those four offensive draft picks (none of which have come this decade), two were Brick and Mangold, a pair of decade long starters on the oline and the foundation of this team the last time it was worth a sh*t. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The Jets never, ever learn.

21 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Four defensive backs drafted this year, including in the first two rounds.

Four offensive linemen drafted in the last FIVE YEARS, none higher than the fourth round.

1 minute ago, The Troll said:

Dallas and Tennessee should be the blueprints of how to build a team right now. They both sunk a ton of draft capital into the offensive line and as a result, they have elite running games that take the pressure off their young QBs. Young QBs that look like franchise QBs because they are afforded the time to do so.

Instead the Jets spend premium picks on defense every single year, and do it poorly, mind you. We've ran a 3-4 for TWELVE years, never had an elite edge rusher, and spent one first rounder in trying to get one. That's one first rounder out of 15, only four of which were spent on offense. They take fliers and draft projects at skill positions and the offensive line and are almost completely dependent on free agency to he competitive because these projects rarely pan out.

Of those four offensive draft picks (none of which have come this decade), two were Brick and Mangold, a pair of decade long starters on the oline and the foundation of this team the last time it was worth a sh*t. Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. The Jets never, ever learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was not a good year for offensive lineman.  I would've been happy with Cam in round 2 but he didn't drop - it is what it is.  Broadly, I agree with you and I love how Dallas, Oakland and Tennessee have rebuilt their offensive lines and found success.  That just wasn't this draft.  This draft was deep with defensive back talent, and we acted accordingly.  

If you're making a broader point, I agree, if you're responding to this draft, than it think you're wrong.  

This was not a good year for offensive lineman.  I would've been happy with Cam in round 2 but he didn't drop - it is what it is.  Broadly, I agree with you and I love how Dallas, Oakland and Tennessee have rebuilt their offensive lines and found success.  That just wasn't this draft.  This draft was deep with defensive back talent, and we acted accordingly.  
If you're making a broader point, I agree, if you're responding to this draft, than it think you're wrong.  

You are correct. I'm referring to the Jets philosophy in general over the last decade. People that think I'm just referring to this draft are missing the point that this is what the Jets do every draft, regardless of where the talent lies in the class. Like taking Calvin Pryor in the best receiver class ever.

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

We have built 4-5 very solid defenses from Herm to Bowles and completely ignored offense in the process and it's gotten us nowhere. And here we are doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

The scary thing is Bowles is clueless about defense.  For all of Rex and Mangini's flaws they were both good at evaluating defensive players in certain aspects (Rex with DL, Mangini with DB's)

Bowles is clueless.  He thought Richardson could play OLB and let Revis play man to man with Sammy Watkins with our season on the line

6 minutes ago, The Troll said:

You are correct. I'm referring to the Jets philosophy in general over the last decade. People that think I'm just referring to this draft are missing the point that this is what the Jets do every draft, regardless of where the talent lies in the class. Like taking Calvin Pryor in the best receiver class ever.

This is going to be worse than Pryor and look at what we passed on for Pryor:

Cooks

Carr

benjamin

Clinton-Dix

Bridgewater

2 minutes ago, thadude said:

Lolz your funny

Let me know when our second round pick learns to cover

I guess you've loved the talent we've gotten in the past decade through the draft lol get over the position of the 2nd round pick and look at the pure talent. 

Archived