Gaping holes remain after the draft...

Freemanm

Is anyone surprised or disappointed? Does this mean Petty is going to stay, and that Hack will finally get his shot? Are we just waiting until next year? 

No offensive tackle or center, despite a relatively deep draft class. Are we in serious trouble with Wesley Johnson, Beecham and Adams?

1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

Does this mean Petty is going to stay

Yes.

and that Hack will finally get his shot?

No, McCown will start.

Are we just waiting until next year? 

"Suck for Sam" right?

Are we in serious trouble with Wesley Johnson, Beecham and Adams?

Probably.

Would people stop repeating the lie that this was a good OLine class.  It wasn't, that's why so few

went in the first round and when they did it was at the end of the round

4 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Is anyone surprised or disappointed? Does this mean Petty is going to stay, and that Hack will finally get his shot? Are we just waiting until next year? 

No offensive tackle or center, despite a relatively deep draft class. Are we in serious trouble with Wesley Johnson, Beecham and Adams?

Of course holes are still there! This team is in the middle of a giant rebuild. It's going to take time. This is just one step in that process.

If anything I have a "sliver" of hope that Morton & Bates have seen improvement in Hackenberg.

Because we didn't sniff any QB's and we had multiple opportunities to throughout the draft

Just now, KRL said:

If anything I have a "sliver" of hope that Morton & Bates have seen improvement in Hackenberg.

Because we didn't sniff any QB's and we had multiple opportunities to throughout the draft

Main reason we didn't go qb in this draft is Bowles was making the picks and he makes Rex look like Bill Walsh

27 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

The Jets had tons of holes coming into the draft and they addressed a few. This is the beginning of a multi year rebuild.  Definitely seems like Mac is committed to Hack in 2017.

I just don't see how they're going to keep any of the qbs upright or see how they are progressing with the OLine talent they have - it's going to be a long season

The class was deep at defensive backs it was very thin at offensive tackles

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Really?  Do you live in a bubble?  This is one of the worst drafts for offensive players outside of WRs I can remember.

This draft sucked!!! I don't care how good Adams is gonna be, when was the last time The jets had any playmaker on offense that could take it to the house on any given play from anywhere on the field. Enough with the defense already you've been building this defense with 1st rounders for what 5yrs now and you've got hardly anyone to show for it. A safety may help you not lose games, but it's the offensive players that can go out an win games 

I'm gonna remember this draft as the Jets could have walked away with Mike Williams and Dalvin Cook and I'm willing to bet they're gonna be more dynamic than what we got. Why don't we ever get a Beckham, an Elliot, a Hopkins, an Evans, a Cooper, a Bell, a Brown, anyone that can score more than a 20 yd TD   

Yet year after year we get these "can't miss" defensive guys that are gonna make us a top 10 defense. Forget the top 10 defense, I want a top 10 offense for once in my damn lifetime, I want to go to a game and see an 70 td pass to a WR that just blew by the corner not had the guy fall down or a RB bust through the line and just breakaway from the field. Now I understand you need a qb for an explosive offense and we still don't have one but come on get some fn playmakers on this team for once in our lives

Of COURSE there are gaping holes still.  Do you honestly think you go from one of the worst teams in the league to the best after one draft?  My god people, perspective....its a great thing.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

This.  Come on guys.  I know based off of the history that is the Jets franchise we have every reason to give up on Hackenberg before he even takes his first NFL snap but come on.  Doesn't the fact that we didn't draft a QB at all mean that maybe Hackenberg isn't this quarterback who can't throw a ball in the ocean??  Maybe he actually looks the part of an actual NFL quarterback.  Maybe he progressed and improved and John Morton sees something in this kid.  Enough something to feel okay with going into the season with McCown, Petty, and Hackenberg.

Yes there are still holes.  We aren't going to fill every single hole through one draft.  It doesn't work that way.  We'll fill the holes we have based on how the draft goes.  I love what we did.  We're a rebuilding team that drafted high character guys who love the game of football.  That's a huge x factor.  What happens if Stewart and Hansen and Leggett actually turn out and start clicking with Hackenberg?  After watching years upon years of the Jets and being an absolute die hard fan I'm sadly wired in a way where it's impossible for this team to do any good or show any sort of upside but what if??

I'd love if Hansen and Anderson turned out to be our outside receivers with Adarius Stewart in the slot.  I'd love if Morton's idea was to utilize Enunwa as a TE who can catch and block.  I'd love Leggett to carry over his play making ability at the TE position along with ASJ and actually give us an option at the TE position.  I'd love for Morton to realize that Powell is an actual legit RB and make him our starting RB.  If these young guys turn out our offense can look a lot different and actually kind of dangerous.  It'll all rely on the progress of Hackenberg and Petty but I have hope because that's all I have.  Hackenberg showed an above average ability to go to the line of scrimmage and read a defense in college where very few showcased that ability.  I'm hoping that in year 2 he capitalizes on that ability while improving his foot mechanics and actually becomes decent.  

The defense is stout.  I love the additions of two top rookie safeties in a league where offenses roll out 3 WRs what?  70% of the time?  I for one would not mind two thumpers roaming back there ready to take someones head off.  The defense will set the tone for this team and we have a young offense who will hopefully only improve as they go against this defense in practice every day...

And as quoted in the other thread like this.  Of COURSE there are gaping holes.  You don't fix a team in one draft.

And this is why Jets fans have the reputation they so richly have earned.

Archived