Time to have the Hackenberg discussion

Persiussa

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Jets might believe in Hackenberg.

The Jets might be wrong for believing in Hackenberg.

Or they could be right.

Too bad we'll likely not know till week 17 because McCown is our starter.

That thought is so scary. A pulled hammy for McCown in camp is the best thing that could happen. He can still mentor. He can still help out during the year.

But they will have to pick Petty or Hack and let it fly.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That thought is so scary. A pulled hammy for McCown in camp is the best thing that could happen. He can still mentor. He can still help out during the year.

But they will have to pick Petty or Hack and let it fly.

McCown gets hurt in camp they'll probably bring Fitz back. :)

I appreciate the way they handled the QB position this draft. Not a supposedly strong QB draft - there were two acceptable approaches IMO. Identify a guy you love at the top of the draft and go get him, or don't draft a QB at all. Anything else would have smacked of repeatedly throwing crap against the wall and seeing if something sticks because they have no idea how to evaluate QB's. There's no need to keep drafting guys in the first they like but don't love.

Also glad to see three pass catchers drafted. Some combination of Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Stewart, Hansen, Seferian-Jenkins, Leggett, and maybe some UDFA's this year if they earn their way on the roster could certainly form a core of solid receivers for a young quarterback to throw to.

Now its sink or swim for Hackenberg this year once McCown gets injured. If he's somehow a franchise QB, great. And if not we know, the team likely has a horrible season, still have a core of young pass catchers, some young secondary guys, a DL, and some younger linebackers to build off of, and they can go get their QB next year. Plus shore up the OL and maybe find an edge rusher for once.

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

This was always the plan but for some reason Jet fans and the media wouldn't buy it. Hack was going to redshirt last year no matter what and get every chance to start this season. 

Please don't post this anymore because folks will invariably attempt to say you are clueless; when what you posted are the facts

Zero chance McCown starts game one unless Hack and Petty are injured. Zero.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I would say there is virtually a 100% chance McCown starts game one. Like, it's a total lock unless Hackenberg takes a massive leap forward.

I'd say Petty has a better chance of being unemployed than starting game one.

McCown only starts if Hack is so in over his head that he cant be put out there.

Petty is a non factor as we all saw last year that he is terrible.

McCown wont win us a game so the only way i see us not getting the number 1 pick is if Hack blossoms and becomes a franchise qb.

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

McCown wont win us a game so the only way i see us not getting the number 1 pick is if Hack blossoms and becomes a franchise qb.

Not sure about that.  This team has historically found a way to win games they have no business winning when losing would actually benefit them. They don't even know how to tank properly.  Hopefully they get it right this time, unless of course as you said, Hack blossoms and turns into Joe Montana in 2017.

I think it's just as likely they did not like any of the QBs in this draft as it is they still believe in Hackenberg. All of them have plenty of question marks. See what Hack has this year, if he sucks as bad as most think, better chance at a good QB in this years draft.

16 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Zero chance McCown starts game one unless Hack and Petty are injured. Zero.

Well we won't know what to make of Hackenberg until at least the first public practice.  If he was blowing the doors off so to speak, then why not have him display that in front of at least someone who could communicate that to the fans that are currently thinking we won't win a single game this year.

I applaud Macc in the fact that he convinced Woody that we had to roll with the current roster rather than over draft someone in this draft class.  None of these guys will be ready to play this year, let alone with our roster.

This doesn't mean anything to Hackenberg, it just meant that by drafting another QB anywhere in this draft wouldn't improve 2017.  And based on the fact that we will probably be in a position for a first round QB next year, this class would have been a back up or cut.

I think McCown starts.  If the Jets lose coming out of the gate, McCown starts in an attempt to win a single game.  Around our bye, Petty takes over.

Bowles gets fired.  Draft Darnold or Rosen in 2018.  Macc stays on until after the 2019 draft, at which time the new HC picks his GM.  

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

McCown only starts if Hack is so in over his head that he cant be put out there.

Petty is a non factor as we all saw last year that he is terrible.

I agree that Petty is not the answer but like last preseason, before his injury, he was the best guy on the roster.  The team hasn't had enough time to work with Hack to have any clue on his progress.  Like last year, they will hide him to conceal his practices as long as possible.  I can't see how that helps our team, coaching staff, or front office.  It's just degrading their credibility and prolonging the inevitable.

Starting McCown is an instant ticket for both Macc and Bowles to lose their lobs end of season. There will be zero chance of playoffs with McCown, and all he can potentially do is take us out of the running for Darnold by winning just a bit more than 2 or 3 games. It will be a full on admission that Hack is a bust so bad they cant even try him. They are throwing Hack out there hell or high water. If he fails at least they can try to blame a youth movement and draft Darnold.

I saw somewhere that kinda blew me away....Josh McCown has not finished more than 11 games since he was 25. If they knew this going in I highly doubt they brought in McCown to play the whole season. Actually with that consistent record of never finishing a season there is no chance he will be our starter from week one to week 17. Numbers don't lie and our offensive line is not helping him beat the odds. No worries my friends we will be Hackenberg.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

On 4/29/2017 at 5:53 PM, Warfish said:

The Jets might believe in Hackenberg.

The Jets might be wrong for believing in Hackenberg.

Or they could be right.

Too bad we'll likely not know till week 17 because McCown is our starter.

If Hack can't beat out McCown in a full season, we have our answer on Hack. 

And that answer becomes:  Sam Darnold.

@The Crusher @HessStation

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Mike's pride is what is going to get him fired.  He messed up drafting Hack, and all he had to do was try again.  Nope, let it burn.  Mac is gone after this season.

They knew the second they drafted him that he wasn't going to play all year. He didn't play all year.

I love how everyone knows that 1) Macc knows Hack is terrible and 2) He is so terrible that it prevented Macc from drafting another QB this year.

On 4/29/2017 at 11:12 PM, derp said:

I appreciate the way they handled the QB position this draft. Not a supposedly strong QB draft - there were two acceptable approaches IMO. Identify a guy you love at the top of the draft and go get him, or don't draft a QB at all. Anything else would have smacked of repeatedly throwing crap against the wall and seeing if something sticks because they have no idea how to evaluate QB's. There's no need to keep drafting guys in the first they like but don't love.

Also glad to see three pass catchers drafted. Some combination of Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, Marshall, Stewart, Hansen, Seferian-Jenkins, Leggett, and maybe some UDFA's this year if they earn their way on the roster could certainly form a core of solid receivers for a young quarterback to throw to.

Now its sink or swim for Hackenberg this year once McCown gets injured. If he's somehow a franchise QB, great. And if not we know, the team likely has a horrible season, still have a core of young pass catchers, some young secondary guys, a DL, and some younger linebackers to build off of, and they can go get their QB next year. Plus shore up the OL and maybe find an edge rusher for once.

I think you hit the nail on the head. No need to reach for a quarterback just for the sake of drafting a quarterback.  Mac is doing a true rebuild and is quietly adding quality offensive talent to this squad.  I think Hackenburg will eventually emerge as our quarterback and will an opportunityt to grow along with our young receiving corp.  If he doesn't we can take one next year when the quarterback pool looks to be a lot better and deeper. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

They knew the second they drafted him that he wasn't going to play all year. He didn't play all year.

I love how everyone knows that 1) Macc knows Hack is terrible and 2) He is so terrible that it prevented Macc from drafting another QB this year.

So you're saying we should expect Hack to easily beat out a tired old JAG vet in McCown this year for the opening day starters job?

Great news, thanks!

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

For Macc to be right on Hackenberg, it would make him a super genius, because all available metrics make it extremely unlikely that Hack is an NFL success.

Him doubling down on Hack by not taking a QB doesn't really change much when it comes to Hack.  It was also the correct decision whether Hack is successful or not; this regime needs to ride or die this year with the QB's we have. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For Macc to be right on Hackenberg, it would make him a super genius, because all available metrics make it extremely unlikely that Hack is an NFL success.

Him doubling down on Hack by not taking a QB doesn't really change much when it comes to Hack.  It was also the correct decision whether Hack is successful or not; this regime needs to ride or die this year with the QB's we have. 

It could also be Macc and the Jets simply did not like the QB's in this years draft at all and figured since they were in rebuild mode lets actully buiild the team and if our young QB's don't get it done we have a nice chance next year of getting a top QB. In other words this probably does not just come down to Hack, I'm sure its a littler deeper than that

Just now, Smashmouth said:

It could also be Macc and the Jets simply did not like the QB's in this years draft at all and figured since they were in rebuild mode lets actully buiild the team and if our young QB's don't get it done we have a nice chance next year of getting a top QB. In other words this probably does not just come down to Hack, I'm sure its a littler deeper than that

Of course.  But when it comes to QB's, whatever they do is a big deal.  If Macc whiffs badly on Hack (as expected), do we really trust him to pick the right QB with our first pick in 2018?

12 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

This makes the most sense. None of this years QBs are anything close to plug and play. Especially on this roster. I think this was the perfect thing to do to have a very good chance at drafting a top QB next year. I would feel slightly better if Buffalo and Cleveland didn't have two first round picks but I do think that is what's happening here. See what if anything the youngsters have and try to get a QB next year. Worse case scenario is Josh McGown starts and wins 3-4 games. That does nothing but set us back another few years. Best case scenario Hack comes out and looks modestly competent. 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So you're saying we should expect Hack to easily beat out a tired old JAG vet in McCown this year for the opening day starters job?

Great news, thanks!

Yes.

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We do? Any particular reason boss?  Or is this one of those times to just look confidently and nod? 

He's the future. Good things ahead for hack.

Next year there are QB's that have the potential to be FQB's...not just Darnold. Beyond that of the bottom feeders of the teams that picked in the '17 draft there is an A** backwards way to look at things. The bears have there guy. Cleveland could have there guy. Tennessee has there guy. Jacksonville MAY have there guy. The 49ers do not have there guy.
With that said there will be a very good chance that we can land a FQB with probably 3-4 being available if the same Sh*t teams occupy the top 5 picks.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

This makes the most sense. None of this years QBs are anything close to plug and play. Especially on this roster. I think this was the perfect thing to do to have a very good chance at drafting a top QB next year. I would feel slightly better if Buffalo and Cleveland didn't have two first round picks but I do think that is what's happening here. See what if anything the youngsters have and try to get a QB next year. Worse case scenario is Josh McGown starts and wins 3-4 games. That does nothing but set us back another few years. Best case scenario Hack comes out and looks modestly competent. 

The good news is that Buffalo still has Tyrod Taylor and will win some games.  Could see them getting to at least 6.  Cleveland is interesting.  We play them again, and I think they are better than us, so hopefully that puts us ahead of them.  Jax could be a problem.  The 49ers may be an issue, and while it's a new regime, last year they were willing to tank (see their loss to us) and so they could easily end up ahead of us.  Surprise team to perhaps worry about is the Chargers.  Also, I wouldn't discount the Bears being up there, and then we have a high-bidder option.

Archived