2017 RE-DRAFT

Powpow

10 hours ago, Skeptable said:

They both can play both positions. .. as seen by adams playing time and the fact that most teams projected maye as a FS

You don't know that. Sure they did it in college but there is no way to know they can do it in the much faster pace that is the NFL. They did a bad job in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in a shallow draft. Maye was a luxury this team could not afford. Mac's draft looks to me to be geared to all that cap space we will have in 2018. His track record is to sign rather than draft. A bad policy that has not worked out so well so far.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You don't know that. Sure they did it in college but there is no way to know they can do it in the much faster pace that is the NFL. They did a bad job in the 2nd and 3rd rounds in a shallow draft. Maye was a luxury this team could not afford. Mac's draft looks to me to be geared to all that cap space we will have in 2018. His track record is to sign rather than draft. A bad policy that has not worked out so well so far.

There's no way of knowing any prospect ever MI. You have to take what you already know.

The evaluation is the entire point.  

26 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You don't know that. Sure they did it in college but there is no way to know they can do it in the much faster pace that is the NFL. 

So , what you are saying is we should look to see players actually play at the next level, before we make judgments?

Very unique thought there.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

I guess that the OP doesn't realize that once you change the Jets 2nd round choice, that then creates a chain of events that change the course of many other picks. Quite possibly affecting his other "great" picks, that now may or may not be there.

I recommend watching the series "back to the Future" this afternoon.

No REALLY

1 hour ago, varjet said:

There was no way the Jets were spending a premium pick on Cook or Mixon.  Not with their roster holes, not with their locker room, not with their other issues.

And for running backs that last 3-4 years, it's a bit early for the Jets to take one.

Based on the above, I agree with the Jets on this one.    Thought Maye could have been a corner, Stewart, Elfein.  

Exactly, and Maye was predicted in many mock drafts to go anywhere from the end of the first round to end of the second round. Far from a "reach" from where we took him. 

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Orrrrrrrr, think of it two years from now when he blows up the team locker room and we're kicking ourselves for taking another player with questionable background who was not worth the headache. We will be complaining that  Mac learned nothing from Sheldon Richardson and Calvin Pryor . 

This.  After last season, I think there was a huge premium placed on high-character guys.  The Jets need to re-invent their team chemistry and commitment immediately.  When you have a strong locker room in place with veterans who lead by example and help keep the culture strong, then you can take chances on a guy here or there.  We're not that team yet.  In fact, we haven't been in a long time since the stars we had who were great guys, weren't really vocal leaders so the inmates had free run.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

There's no way of knowing any prospect ever MI. You have to take what you already know.

The evaluation is the entire point.  

What do you already know? NOTHING. That's why these arguments are pointless. The entire draft is a crap shoot. To say these guys can play or not play in the NFL is ridiculous. To say they can play any position in the secondary in the NFL is just plain wrong until they do it on the field. There were other players available who had better "evaluations" than the guys picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds yet Mac still made the moves he did. His picks are indefensible and cannot be justified no matter what spin is put on them.

11 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

WOW....JUST WOW.....A 1017 redraft before one player even puts a helmet on.

This is why Jets fans are looked upon the way they are.

Hoser, I guarantee you every team has a message board with a what if we drafted this way thread. It's normal

how about

R1 - Jamal Adams- S

R2- Marcus Maye - S

R3- Dalano Hill - S

R4- Desmond King - S

R5 - Treston Decoud -S

R6-  Rudy Ford - S

R6(2) Leon McQuay- S

Just think how good our Depth at Safety would be right now! (our draft really wasn't that bad though i guess time will tell)

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Hoser, I guarantee you every team has a message board with a what if we drafted this way thread. It's normal

And a message board with a way on earth ? did we take safeties back to back in first 2 rounds. 

58 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

So , what you are saying is we should look to see players actually play at the next level, before we make judgments?

Very unique thought there.

Nice. This sentence was in response to a guy who claimed that the two guys drafted could play both safety positions. His reasoning was they did it in college. What else ya got bro?

6 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

how about

R1 - Jamal Adams- S

R2- Marcus Maye - S

R3- Dalano Hill - S

R4- Desmond King - S

R5 - Treston Decoud -S

R6-  Rudy Ford - S

R6(2) Leon McQuay- S

Just think how good our Depth at Safety would be right now! (our draft really wasn't that bad though i guess time will tell)

I like it! Adams is a stud can't miss prospect. Maye on the other hand ehhhh. But in your scenario, Hill can take over at safety, King can play corner, Maye can be switched to nickel. Decoud Ford and McQuay can join the rest of Mac's inept draft picks on the bench or practice squad. 

39 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

What do you already know? NOTHING. That's why these arguments are pointless. The entire draft is a crap shoot. To say these guys can play or not play in the NFL is ridiculous. To say they can play any position in the secondary in the NFL is just plain wrong until they do it on the field. There were other players available who had better "evaluations" than the guys picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds yet Mac still made the moves he did. His picks are indefensible and cannot be justified no matter what spin is put on them.

LOL you're entire premise is a contradiction. 

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

LOL you're entire premise is a contradiction. 

Let me point out why HessStation says this, then maybe you'll understand.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

"What do you already know? NOTHING. That's why these arguments are pointless. The entire draft is a crap shoot".

- OK the premise is there's no point arguing since the whole draft is a crapshoot and I kind of agree to a certain degree.

"To say these guys can play or not play in the NFL is ridiculous. To say they can play any position in the secondary in the NFL is just plain wrong until they do it on the field".

- Further supports his initial point, no problems here. 

"There were other players available who had better "evaluations" than the guys picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds yet Mac still made the moves he did".

- This is where it all falls apart.  Here's the contradiction:  What the hell are pre-draft evaluations worth if (based on your earlier points) the whole draft is a crapshoot and you don't really know till they do it on the field. 

"His picks are indefensible and cannot be justified no matter what spin is put on them".

- Your logic is indefensible regardless of what spin you put on it.  

14 hours ago, prime21 said:

Cook has talent but it looks like we are avoiding potential locker room headaches. I'm fine with Mac's draft. We selected many talented players with good upside. 

Martavis Bryant was and is still a better pick than Evans and Saunders, even though he can't lay off the weed.

So is Antonio Brown a 6th rd pick All Pro because of the Big Ben factor as well??

That's part of his success. If Brown had been on the Jets how do you think his career would be going? He probably would have one good season with Fitz two years ago. Other than that he would be the guy who looks like he would put up big numbers in the right offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

58 minutes ago, prime21 said:

That's part of his success. If Brown had been on the Jets how do you think his career would be going? He probably would have one good season with Fitz two years ago. Other than that he would be the guy who looks like he would put up big numbers in the right offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

And Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans couldn't put up big numbers in any offense.

Ha, right.  Martavis Bryant is a better WR than either of those two guys with or without Ben Roethlisberger.

Never said he was or wasn't. My point is that if you don't have the QB, you don't get the "stats". You're a talented WR on the wrong team.

Just now, prime21 said:

Never said he was or wasn't. My point is that if you don't have the QB, you don't get the "stats". You're a talented WR on the wrong team.

The point was that the Jets picked a 5'6", 150 pound WR who runs a 4.5 over a talented, 6'5" WR who runs a 4.3.  Only a green goggle wearing clown could try to defend that move.

Like everyone else I was shocked at picking a safety in round 2. I liked CB Quincy Wilson from Florida. At 6'1" and a warrior mentality I think he would have been a nice fit. You never have enough CB's. 3rd round I stay put and pick OLB Jordan Willis from K State. Just one mans opinion. Only time will tell.

Look I like what Mac has done since he arrived. One of the main things is a lack of leaks coming out. The information about Smith did not come out till they were ready to announce it. Explains drafting Wr's when other areas needed addressing. Could there be information about the Safety situation we are not privileged to. Just asking.

Archived