2017 RE-DRAFT

Powpow

4 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Let me point out why HessStation says this, then maybe you'll understand.

LOL. You are one funny guy.

5 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

"What do you already know? NOTHING. That's why these arguments are pointless. The entire draft is a crap shoot".

- OK the premise is there's no point arguing since the whole draft is a crapshoot and I kind of agree to a certain degree.

"To say these guys can play or not play in the NFL is ridiculous. To say they can play any position in the secondary in the NFL is just plain wrong until they do it on the field".

- Further supports his initial point, no problems here. 

"There were other players available who had better "evaluations" than the guys picked in the 2nd and 3rd rounds yet Mac still made the moves he did".

- This is where it all falls apart.  Here's the contradiction:  What the hell are pre-draft evaluations worth if (based on your earlier points) the whole draft is a crapshoot and you don't really know till they do it on the field. 

"His picks are indefensible and cannot be justified no matter what spin is put on them".

- Your logic is indefensible regardless of what spin you put on it.  

The reason evaluations are in quotes is to denote SCARCASM. This is to point out how silly use of the term was in the original argument. Now that I have explained that to you maybe you get it.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Maybe we can have the teams draft the players, let them play for a year then do a re-draft. :huh:

Or maybe we can go with the premise that a team with as many holes as this one has should not draft 2 players in back to back rounds at the same position. Or assume that those players are interchangeable at different positions because they did it at the college level. That is whole point.

11 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

LOL. You are one funny guy.

The reason evaluations are in quotes is to denote SCARCASM. This is to point out how silly use of the term was in the original argument. Now that I have explained that to you maybe you get it.

You've confused me.

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Who can argue with such genius logic. Great job here.

Obviously you can't or you would have come up with something other than this bullspit one liner. What does it matter anyway? We will never agree on this subject so why bother?

43 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Or maybe we can go with the premise that a team with as many holes as this one has should not draft 2 players in back to back rounds at the same position. Or assume that those players are interchangeable at different positions because they did it at the college level. That is whole point.

Ok so you're just mad at two same positions and nothing to do w the actual players? You would have been happy if their 2nd was an OT and 4th was a Rb, you just didn't like the duplication?

8 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Obviously you can't or you would have come up with something other than this bullspit one liner. What does it matter anyway? We will never agree on this subject so why bother?

If you bothered to try and pay attention to my first post, I was essentially agreeing with you. See premise. But, you decided to try some type of tough guy approach, for God knows what reason.

2 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Does that mean that the other 31 GMs that passed on him will get fired too?

I know you're trying to be cute, so I'll make it simple for you:  The other GMs who also made bad decisions will get fired.  Selecting a safety over a guy who is an absolute weapon on offense after already selecting a safety in the top 5 (which was also a questionable move) is terrible.  

Cook is an AWESOME talent.  He's a great runner and a receiver who will impact the game immediately.  The chance of Maye -- or any safety -- being a bigger difference maker than an offensive weapon who touches the ball 20 times a game is slim to none.

On 4/29/2017 at 6:02 PM, Obrien2Toon said:

Honestly just change out Maye for Cook and I'd be happy with this draft

100% this.  Exactly how I feel.

Also, when was the last time the Jets didn't a draft a single lineman (offense or defense) in a Draft?  Has that ever happened. 

28 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

I know you're trying to be cute, so I'll make it simple for you:  The other GMs who also made bad decisions will get fired.  Selecting a safety over a guy who is an absolute weapon on offense after already selecting a safety in the top 5 (which was also a questionable move) is terrible.  

Cook is an AWESOME talent.  He's a great runner and a receiver who will impact the game immediately.  The chance of Maye -- or any safety -- being a bigger difference maker than an offensive weapon who touches the ball 20 times a game is slim to none.

I would have preferred Cook in Round 2 as well.  No idea how good he'll turn out to be but it seemed like a no-brainer when he fell into our laps.  This offense has NO IDENTITY.  Not only don't we have a QB as a face of the franchise, we have no identifiable "go to" option on the offense.  It's a jumbled mess.  Every team in the NFL has at least 1 somewhat elite player at EITHER QB, WR or RB.  The best teams have excellent talent at each spot (Think Steelers with Roethlisberger, Le'veon Bell, Antonio Brown or Dallas with Dak, Dez Bryant, Elliott).  Even bad teams can point to at least one somewhat elite talent on their offense (ex. Jacksonville with Allen Robinson, Rams with Gurley, Cincinnati with AJ Green, etc.).  What is this team's offensive identity?  I can't even name our best player on offense.  It might be our gosh damn long snapper!

I wanted Adams or Fournette in Round 1.  When we got Adams I was dead-set on the idea of going offense in Round 2.  Cook was a gift that the Jets left under the tree.  Sad.  Negligent in fact.

19 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Like everyone else I was shocked at picking a safety in round 2. I liked CB Quincy Wilson from Florida. At 6'1" and a warrior mentality I think he would have been a nice fit. You never have enough CB's. 3rd round I stay put and pick OLB Jordan Willis from K State. Just one mans opinion. Only time will tell.

ding ding ding - we have a winner!  I would have done the same thing.  No way should we (or any team) take back-to-back safeties in rounds 1 & 2.  Especially when the 2nd one is ranked low 2nd at best to low 3rd.  Cook, a corner or Edge rusher should have been our 2nd rounder.  If Maye was there in round 3, then fine, but not round 2.  

= R-E-A-C-H

And for no good reason too 

The draft smacked of trying to save todd bowles ass.  Right down to the experts pontificating that picks were made to fit into Todd Bowles multi safety system.

I can't wait until half way thorough the season as we are getting ripped to shreds the experts saying A) Can't blame Todd because he has rookies in the back end and rookies make mistakes and B Can't blame Todd because the offense can't move the ball and his D is tired.  (After spending the last 9 1st round picks on defense and the majority of cap space on defense.)

On 4/29/2017 at 8:23 PM, Maxman said:

The 2nd pick reminded me of when they went Keyshawn round one and Alex Van Dyke (I think that was his name in round two). I don't like double dipping position wise (that sounds dirty). But if they get them both right all will be forgiven.

Double dipping sometimes works real well.  

Cousins in the 4th after using #2 overall on a QB.  TO in the 3rd after trading up to get a WR #10 overall by the 49ers.

I was pissed at the time, but, we shall see.  If they were the 2 best players on the board when we picked, and we do actually need 2 safeties, it's not bad. 

As for us having a good D next year, we have no pass rush, and 2 probably rookie starters at the safety position.   Gronk with no spine will get 9 catches for 284 yards with 6 touchdowns.

21 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Like everyone else I was shocked at picking a safety in round 2. I liked CB Quincy Wilson from Florida. At 6'1" and a warrior mentality I think he would have been a nice fit. You never have enough CB's. 3rd round I stay put and pick OLB Jordan Willis from K State. Just one mans opinion. Only time will tell.

Hey man good to see you here again!

Props to Pow and all other posters who have the courage to pick their alternate draft while killing Mac. 

The rest of you complainers should put your name on what you would have done and don't cop out by saying "I would have taken one of these 5 players".

4 minutes ago, dcJet said:

No Cook.  He's dumb ghetto sh*t like Lawrence Phillips.  These guys don't change their stripes.

He's nowhere close to being as good as Phillips was, but your point is very well taken. There are just some bad guys you take off the board, and this guy was one of them.

Archived