The positive outlook

JetsFanNick12

I'm seeing a lot of mixed reviews on our draft.  DBs usually take a year or 2 to fully break out(and this is the tank year to do it). We have a potential home run at safety now, we get to see if Hack is for real, if not we are in line to get a top QB next draft trading up if needed or just flat out tank. We are going to have 50+ million in cap space. That money can be used to address OL CB and maybe pass rush. Draft wise if Hack sucks like he probably will then we go QB. Hopefully Leggett turns out decent and will be a good safety blanket. But with the young WR core we have and DBs this team can grow this season. Lot of competition and guys who want to play. If McCown starts over Hack or Petty ill flip out. That should not happen. But with the money we will have and potential top pick for a QB there is a bright side. Yes I wanted Cook round 2 and was not happy with a safety but the kid reviews well as well as King mid rounds as well. 

Just my optimistic 2 cents

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I am on the same page, especially with McCown. 

But next year they should have more than 70 million in cap space.

I'm underestimating the cap. I assumed maybe with some re signs but 70 million is accurate. That plus a top 3 pick means QB and a lot of protection. It's crucial either Hack works or we get a top pick. It's almost like a win win. One of the 2 will happen and I heavily lean 4 wins tops

So walterfootball has been notoriously hard on the Jets for years.  It takes a lot for him to be at all complimentary and not take a cheap shot.  But he liked their draft more than I did and more than almost anyone here so it's worth the read.  In particular he was very high on Maye.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2017nyj.php

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

6. Jamal Adams, S, LSU: A Grade
The Jets have done a great job in the draft for the most part lately because of their stance of selecting the best player available. That's exactly what they're doing here rather than reaching for need. Then again, the Jets do need everything, so... never mind.

At any rate, after seeing the Bears and Titans do something idiotic, the Jets are looking great with this selection. Adams was widely projected to be taken in the top three, and he probably should've been. The Jets aren't complaining, as Adams fills a huge need for New York and its atrocious secondary.

39. Marcus Maye, S, Florida: A- Grade
Back-to-back safeties!? It makes sense, as the Jets had multiple needs at the position. The Jets just broke a lot of hearts, as many teams were hoping he'd fall to them in the second round. I guess it wasn't very realistic because there was some speculation Maye could go late first. He'll pair well with Jamal Adams to bolster New York's atrocious secondary.

79. ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama: B Grade
Most teams we spoke to had ArDarius Stewart in the third-round range, so I'm definitely not surprised to see him taken in this area. He also fills a need for the Jets, who had to replace Brandon Marshall. This is a solid pick for the Jets. At the very least, they'll get great special-teams play out of Stewart.

141. Chad Hansen, WR, California: A- Grade
I thought Chad Hansen could potentially be chosen in the third round, so I like this value, and Hansen obviously fills a need with Brandon Marshall gone. Hansen was a productive receiver at California who made acrobatic catches, but his speed is a major question mark.

150. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson: A Grade
And yet another great tight end value pick in the fifth round. This tight end class is tremendous, and I'm surprised that some of these players didn't go earlier. The Jets won't complain, as they might be able to finally fill their massive need at the position. Leggett is a poor blocker, but figures to be a productive pass-catcher.

181. Dylan Donahue, DE/OLB, West Georgia: C+ Grade
Dylan Donahue nearly made my mock draft, but he didn't make the cut. He could have though, as he was very productive in college, albeit at a small school. Donahue is 25, so that's a negative, but he could end up being a rotational pass-rusher for the Jets.

188. Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette: A- Grade
The Jets are quietly having a stellar draft, as they've traded down a bunch to pick up lots of resources, which they desperately needed. Elijah McGuire is a value selection, as I had him going off the board 50 selections earlier than this. McGuire tested poorly during the pre-draft process, but he's an effective pass-catching weapon coming out of the backfield.

197. Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan: B+ Grade
Jeremy Clark may have snuck into the second day of the draft had he not sustained a torn ACL in September. Clark dropped all the way to Round 6, but the Jets are getting decent value with him. He has the potential to emerge as a starter in 2018, but the durability concerns are real.

204. Derrick Jones, CB, Ole Miss: B Grade
The Jets are swinging for the fences here, which is fine. Derrick Jones has elite athleticism, but not very much production. He has starter potential, but could also fail to make the roster.

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

So walterfootball has been notoriously hard on the Jets for years.  It takes a lot for him to be at all complimentary and not take a cheap shot.  But he liked their draft more than I did and more than almost anyone here so it's worth the read.  In particular he was very high on Maye.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2017nyj.php

NFL Draft Individual Grades:

6. Jamal Adams, S, LSU: A Grade
The Jets have done a great job in the draft for the most part lately because of their stance of selecting the best player available. That's exactly what they're doing here rather than reaching for need. Then again, the Jets do need everything, so... never mind.

At any rate, after seeing the Bears and Titans do something idiotic, the Jets are looking great with this selection. Adams was widely projected to be taken in the top three, and he probably should've been. The Jets aren't complaining, as Adams fills a huge need for New York and its atrocious secondary.

39. Marcus Maye, S, Florida: A- Grade
Back-to-back safeties!? It makes sense, as the Jets had multiple needs at the position. The Jets just broke a lot of hearts, as many teams were hoping he'd fall to them in the second round. I guess it wasn't very realistic because there was some speculation Maye could go late first. He'll pair well with Jamal Adams to bolster New York's atrocious secondary.

79. ArDarius Stewart, WR, Alabama: B Grade
Most teams we spoke to had ArDarius Stewart in the third-round range, so I'm definitely not surprised to see him taken in this area. He also fills a need for the Jets, who had to replace Brandon Marshall. This is a solid pick for the Jets. At the very least, they'll get great special-teams play out of Stewart.

141. Chad Hansen, WR, California: A- Grade
I thought Chad Hansen could potentially be chosen in the third round, so I like this value, and Hansen obviously fills a need with Brandon Marshall gone. Hansen was a productive receiver at California who made acrobatic catches, but his speed is a major question mark.

150. Jordan Leggett, TE, Clemson: A Grade
And yet another great tight end value pick in the fifth round. This tight end class is tremendous, and I'm surprised that some of these players didn't go earlier. The Jets won't complain, as they might be able to finally fill their massive need at the position. Leggett is a poor blocker, but figures to be a productive pass-catcher.

181. Dylan Donahue, DE/OLB, West Georgia: C+ Grade
Dylan Donahue nearly made my mock draft, but he didn't make the cut. He could have though, as he was very productive in college, albeit at a small school. Donahue is 25, so that's a negative, but he could end up being a rotational pass-rusher for the Jets.

188. Elijah McGuire, RB, Louisiana-Lafayette: A- Grade
The Jets are quietly having a stellar draft, as they've traded down a bunch to pick up lots of resources, which they desperately needed. Elijah McGuire is a value selection, as I had him going off the board 50 selections earlier than this. McGuire tested poorly during the pre-draft process, but he's an effective pass-catching weapon coming out of the backfield.

197. Jeremy Clark, CB, Michigan: B+ Grade
Jeremy Clark may have snuck into the second day of the draft had he not sustained a torn ACL in September. Clark dropped all the way to Round 6, but the Jets are getting decent value with him. He has the potential to emerge as a starter in 2018, but the durability concerns are real.

204. Derrick Jones, CB, Ole Miss: B Grade
The Jets are swinging for the fences here, which is fine. Derrick Jones has elite athleticism, but not very much production. He has starter potential, but could also fail to make the roster.

Hard to disagree. We got great players / great value for where we picked. Perfect for a rebuilding team and they are all at positions of need. 

Archived