Since we didn't draft a center.....

section314

Seeing that Nick is still a FA, has had, what, 2 FA visits tops, maybe the general consensus about him around the league is that he's done?

Can't think of one instance where a team brought in an OL off his couch once camp began.

I believe the jets started converting Dakota to center last off-season.  He also looked pretty good to me last season in his few reps at guard due to injury...he did not look out of place.  Maybe they really like him and feel he can be a good center.  I would watch how they use him in PS at worst he could come in and backup Wesley and at best maybe he sticks and starts next year.   Oh or maybe this is his last year a jet......time will tell.

29 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

We are trying to lose games this year you don't bring in good players in free agency to lose games

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Then we should have kept Geno.  Not that we really improved the position anyway but we'll need every negative turnover we can get just in case the defense is good again this year.

3 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

The Johnson situation is somewhat odd.   i wonder if the jets were waiting until after the draft to make a decision at C. If they are confident in Johnson then they should extend him now to avoid UFA next season.   

Maybe not so much waiting to make a decision, but waiting to see where they are at money-wise post draft, post cuts. 

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

This team believes it has its center already in Wesley Johnson! We weren't drafting a center and the tackle prospects were not good this year

Not sure if they are sold on Johnson as a long term answer but he was serviceable last season. As far as the draft depth at O-line it was poor. No expert but when the top preseason Tackle prospect is preserved as a better guard by many and the top Centers the same it most definitely a weak to non existent class.

Archived