NFL Front Offices Moves (Post Draft Edition)

C Mart

5 hours ago, Darkheart said:

So far this weekend:

JN Posters "Macc can't complete trades !"

-Macc trades down 5 times in a draft, a franchise record.

JN Posters " The rest of the AFC East did WAY better"

Bills fire their GM a day after the draft

Hilarious

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

I've heard of this before. The day after the draft FO people getting fired. I think we've done it. But not the GM.

I think the normal thing is - on black Monday, you get a new GM.  But the scouting staff stays on until the draft, as they've already done most of the work.  After the draft, the new GM gets rid of them and brings in his own people.

He was obviously going to be turfed as soon as rex was let go but your gm and scouts are working all year around so you don;t want to start over as you are getting close to the draft.  The day after the draft then see ya later.  The same reason that whole scouting depts are not let go when a new gm is hired until after the draft.

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That a guy who just lost his job is a lot better than the guy who has that job here.

The guy who lost his job just got fired. That guy built a roster that we swept last year. So tell me again the evidence that they have done a better job.

1 hour ago, Darkheart said:

The guy who lost his job just got fired. That guy built a roster that we swept last year. So tell me again the evidence that they have done a better job.

I'm busy right now, but I have an erection thinking about the brutal shaming I'm going to hand you later. I'm considering live-streaming your immolation on one of those extreme BDSM sites. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That a guy who just lost his job is a lot better than the guy who has that job here.

Assuming Maccagnan makes it through year 4, is there any chance this team will be 30-34 on his watch? Any chance whatsoever?

56 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Assuming Maccagnan makes it through year 4, is there any chance this team will be 30-34 on his watch? Any chance whatsoever?

Well they already have 15. And the SOJ law means that instead of tanking, they will get 6-9 wins this year

On 4/30/2017 at 1:12 PM, ScarletKnight89 said:

So the Bills owners let the GM make all off season decisions like keeping Tyrod Taylor, who to sign in FA. And then after the last big off season weekend (the draft) decide to fire him? They basically committed to his vision for next season. That's such a dumb move.

The Bills are a complete mess.

This is not what happened at all. Whaley was end-arounded most or all of the offseason (for better or for worse long term). Even since before the hiring of McDermott, apparently the writing was on the wall and it seems they should have just made a move back then.

From what I've read:

1, Whaley didn't fire Ryan. In the post-firing presser Whaley was asked why and he kinda shrugged and said you'd have to ask someone else. 

2. Whaley didn't hire McDermott. He didn't know McDermott, barely knew anything about him, and wanted to keep Lynn on as HC.

3. Whaley didn't address the press much all offseason, despite significant events. He was increasingly becoming a figure of less importance, and it happened right under his nose.

4. Whaley didn't want to keep Tyrod Taylor. Or at a minimum, he didn't want to keep Taylor under the current contract, which guaranteed an additional $27m over the next 2 seasons.

5. Whaley didn't get final say on any of the draft picks last week. Sure it was Whaley and his scouts that put together any charts, lists,and reports they worked off, but before every pick or move was made, it first had to be ok'd by McDermott. It's what made their draft room (reportedly) so tense and awkward. 

The Pegulas apparently knew weeks go (possibly a month or two ago) they were going to fire Whaley. At that point they were likely just keeping Whaley on a little while longer just because he was the one who knew the most about all the cumulative scouting reports; Whaley could have been hired by another team - or multiple other teams if he thought his career was over - for a quick buck, to spill the beans on whom the Bills liked in the draft, and where they were targeting certain players; Whaley was the one who best knew other teams' GMs (in the event of trades, and there was a big one made in round 1 that may not have happened if they'd fired him right beforehand). 

It had likely been brewing for a while, but especially since getting hired McDermott had been slowly making a power play to get Whaley fired. This is just how long it took, with the process made even longer because they were busy doing the same with the Sabres' GM. Right now it's a mess up there, no doubt. 

The Pegulas now get the envious task of looking for a GM that not only won't be able to pick his own HC (we know how well that goes), but a GM who will know McDermott privately lobbied and schemed to get the prior GM fired.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is not what happened at all. Whaley was end-arounded most or all of the offseason (for better or for worse long term). Even since before the hiring of McDermott, apparently the writing was on the wall and it seems they should have just made a move back then.

From what I've read:

1, Whaley didn't fire Ryan. In the post-firing presser Whaley was asked why and he kinda shrugged and said you'd have to ask someone else. 

2. Whaley didn't hire McDermott. He didn't know McDermott, barely knew anything about him, and wanted to keep Lynn on as HC.

3. Whaley didn't address the press much all offseason, despite significant events. He was increasingly becoming a figure of less importance, and it happened right under his nose.

4. Whaley didn't want to keep Tyrod Taylor. Or at a minimum, he didn't want to keep Taylor under the current contract, which guaranteed an additional $27m over the next 2 seasons.

5. Whaley didn't get final say on any of the draft picks last week. Sure it was Whaley and his scouts that put together any charts, lists,and reports they worked off, but before every pick or move was made, it first had to be ok'd by McDermott. It's what made their draft room (reportedly) so tense and awkward. 

That's such a weird way to run an organization. If you don't trust your GM to make player decisions, why is he your GM?

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

That's such a weird way to run an organization. If you don't trust your GM to make player decisions, why is he your GM?

No argument here.

As their story goes, the Pegulas were so distracted with the Sabres' GM situation, they let this go for longer than they should have. Seems like a pretty weak answer to me.

On 4/30/2017 at 2:46 PM, C Mart said:

This bares watching as it was rumored a couple of months ago Ballard was interested in getting Jets Dir of College Scouting Rex Hogan. Ballard and Hogan were scouts together in Chicago

Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

4/30/17, 2:26 PM

Bills not alone. Colts releasing director of college scouting T.J. McCreight and others from scouting department, per league sources.

Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI)

5/8/17, 9:41 PM

Sources: #Jets sr. dir of college scouting Rex Hogan expected to join #Colts. So is #Seahawks exec Ed Dodds

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI  

Source: #Jets have hired former #Rams scout Evan Ardoin ... He was let go before the draft

Rams part with 4 scouts, 3 weeks before draft

Posted by Michael Gehlken on April 9, 2017, 6:25 PM EDT

NFL personnel department changes are fairly common in the spring, mainly because the scouting calendar does not end in the regular season as it does with coaches but instead continues through the draft.

That’s why the Rams’ moves are somewhat unusual.

With the draft less than three weeks away, Los Angeles has parted with four scouts. Those dismissed reportedly are director of pro personnel Ran Carthon and three area scouts: Evan Ardoin, Danton Barto and Sean Gustus.

Much of a club’s legwork for the draft is already done. Pro days are over. Draft boards are all but set.

Moving on from these scouts now may assist their job search, although most jobs elsewhere won’t become officially available until May.

Carthon was the Rams’ director of pro personnel the past five seasons. The ex-Florida running back also worked with Rams GM Les Snead for five years as a Falcons scout.

Ardoin spent eight seasons with the Rams. Barto, a former Arena Football League head coach, and Gustus spent four and five years, respectively.

The timing of the Rams’ decision, however unusual, is far from unprecedented. At about this time last year, the Browns parted  with six scouts whose contracts were set to expire.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/09/rams-part-with-4-scouts-3-weeks-before-draft/

Colts Announce Five Player Personnel Hirings

By Colts.com

Intro: On Friday afternoon, the Colts announced five additions to the player personnel department. The team has hired Morocco Brown as director of college scouting, Kyle Childress as college scouting coordinator, Brian Decker as player personnel strategist, Ed Dodds as vice president of player personnel and Rex Hogan as vice president of player personnel.

Scout's Tale: E.J. Gaines

There are numerous ways NFL teams acquire players, and the Rams’ scouting staff is always hard at work trying to find the next guy who can help them win. In Scout’s Tales, we’ll visit with members of Les Snead’s personnel department and they’ll share stories of how the process brought certain current Rams to St. Louis.

Evan Ardoin on the National Scouting Service and following E.J. Gaines.

The National scout role is part of a co-op system that certain teams in the league are involved in. When I filled that role, there were 20 teams. There are 20 teams that participate, and of those 20, 11 will commit a scout to working for National. When I was in that role, I was taken out of the Rams-specific operation and I went to Indianapolis to train to learn the National system.

In that role, I’m responsible for going out in the spring and advance scouting the next year’s senior talent. This year, I went to schools, looked at their entire roster and gave the rising seniors the Wonderlic test. I weighed and measured them so we have verified measurables for all of the teams. It gives a much clearer picture for the teams to create a road map for their own scouting operation. Everyone who subscribes to National has access to that information - it’s public.

There’s a generic system so it’s not tailored to a specific team. For instance, the Jets would grade defenders differently than the Rams because we run a 4-3 and they’re a 3-4 in New York. You talk about players in a very generic sense and what their overall value is. A player who may be a third-round pick for Seattle may not be that high for the Rams, just depending on the scheme fit.

It’s an interesting way to cut your teeth as a scout because it’s really the nuts and bolts of player evaluation. You go into a school without any information. All you have is a roster and a couple of coaches recommending their most talented seniors. You have to determine who the prospects are and at what level they’re prospects.

Being on the other side of it now as an area scout, you take that data and you plan your fall season based on what you see in that data. “I didn’t realize Michigan had seven prospects. I may need to make another trip there...” That’s the kind of thing you see when you read the National reports. It gives you more detail to make the best decisions for your own club.

It’s a difficult role. It’s two seasons of scouting as opposed to one-and-a-half like an area guy because you’re out by yourself in the fall. The NFS scout pairs with a scout from the other scouting service, BLESTO, to put on ‘junior pro days’ where we measure the next year’s seniors. If the coaches will allow us to measure guys, we’ll get verified 40 times on them as well. We’ll spend all day watching tape and then we’ll grade them.

Then there’s an opportunity for you to speak on all your players at a big presentation in front of all the other teams involved in your scouting service. That’s a positive experience for your scout because you get the chance to sit up there with confidence and speak about the things you’ve seen and evaluated. It’s a great tool for a young scout who is going to have to sit at his draft table and convince coaches and front office people that what he’s seeing is where they want to take this particular player.

I’m now working as an area scout, and one of the schools I’m responsible for is University of Missouri (Mizzou). E.J. Gaines was a player that I got to track during his career at the university. E.J. played well this season, and for that reason I often am asked how a guy like that falls to the sixth round. Sometimes those questions are hard to answer, and I just know the Rams are fortunate he did.

He ran a solid 40 time. He had incredible production. He was a senior who came out and played well over the course of his career. He wasn’t one of those juniors that was pushed up through the offseason process. He was just a really steady football player who did his job extremely well in the nation’s most competitive conference. For whatever reason, he was overlooked.

It’s interesting how the offseason circuit can push certain guys up and certain guys down. Everybody’s obsessed with the sexy 40 time, the length, height and all of these pretty measurables. A lot of times, you can’t measure a football player in those terms. E.J. is just a tremendous young man and a really competitive kid. I think some of those things got overlooked, especially how important he was as a player.

I think E.J. has proven what those intangibles mean to him, and he’s shown that since he’s been here. He’s mature, mentally tough and he’s focused. People underestimate just how difficult that position is to play. Some of those intangibles – mentally, emotionally, psychologically – are extremely important to a young man playing well, and E.J. has them.

All of the coaches at Mizzou loved E.J. and went to bat for him – Coach (Gary) Pinkel, defensive coordinator Dave Steckel and Cornell Ford, who was E.J.’s position coach and the St. Louis recruiting contact there. We deal with Cornell frequently and I have a great relationship with him. When those guys started beating their chest about a guy like E.J., it made me feel really good about recommending him to our club because of those strong relationships and the maturity with which E.J. handled himself at Mizzou.

He wasn’t just a leader there; he was a tone setter. He was the nerve center on their defense. The toughness, quiet confidence and swagger that he played with - those were things that defense fed off of. I feel we’re really fortunate to have him here and I’m proud of the way he’s played. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen a rookie play as consistent as he has.

http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Scouts-Tale-EJ-Gaines/d92e212d-f290-48fa-87c5-558be70e4255

Archived