Its not a lack of effort

Jetster

When Bowles made these comments last year, I doubt he was talking about our veterans. He was talking about guys like Lee, Jenkins, Burris. Lee ALMOST made a lot of plays last year, he was SO close on many. Jenkins was more concerned about holding the edge than playing fast. Burris actually played well, and teams actually attacked our other corners more than they went after him.

I can't state this enough, Adams & Maye are what every draft guru called TREMENDOUS TACKLERS. How many tackles did this team miss last year? In fact I think I saw a stat where our secondary was the worst in giving up YAC. But, Burris was a sure tackler, Lee got better when he avoided the big uglies, Jenkins started showing up after starting slowly missing time in camp with an injury.

Usually it's the 2nd year when defenders in the NFL start playing faster. Lee was trying to do to much or asked to do too much. Adams & Maye will take some of that burden off of Lee, so in his 2nd year, he'll actually have a lot less to think about & field to cover. I think he'll now be used more of a Bobby Wagner type role. The one thing this team lacked on defense last year were guys who had the speed & strength to knock guys off of their routes. Way to many free releases all over the place culminated in probably the WORST effort I've ever seen displayed in a secondary in that Colts game. I watched that in a hotel & shut it off & went to sleep after that 3rd drive where it looked like a high school team playing Alabama. It cracks me up that a Jet fan could forget that embarrassment & kill the Jets for taking two stud Safeties in this draft. 

Delvin Cook or Joe Mixon weren't going to help the Jets that night, lol. 

It's not the Job of Darren Lee to avoid OGs, but the Job of the NT to prevent them from stopping him from doing what he was drafted to do based on his skill set . The problem wasn't drafting Darren Lee, it was allowing Snacks to leave while keeping 3 DEs none of whom could fill his shoes and adding a NT whose skill set was closer to the DEs we had than the NT we lost .

The signing of Mike Pennell is an attempt to correct a mistake that should never have been allowed .

Believe it or not, football today even in a passing league is still about tackling and blocking . If the offensive lineman blocks his man, the QB has all day to throw the ball or the RB has holes to run through . If the NT blocks his assignment, the ILB can run and make plays sideline to sideline just like Ray Lewis did in Baltimore for years .

I absolutely hate to quote the head cheat, but if everyone simply do their job, the outcome would be satisfactory .  

23 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It's not the Job of Darren Lee to avoid OGs, but the Job of the NT to prevent them from stopping him from doing what he was drafted to do based on his skill set . The problem wasn't drafting Darren Lee, it was allowing Snacks to leave while keeping 3 DEs none of whom could fill his shoes and adding a NT whose skill set was closer to the DEs we had than the NT we lost .

The signing of Mike Pennell is an attempt to correct a mistake that should never have been allowed .

Believe it or not, football today even in a passing league is still about tackling and blocking . If the offensive lineman blocks his man, the QB has all day to throw the ball or the RB has holes to run through . If the NT blocks his assignment, the ILB can run and make plays sideline to sideline just like Ray Lewis did in Baltimore for years .

I absolutely hate to quote the head cheat, but if everyone simply do their job, the outcome would be satisfactory .  

I agree that losing Snacks had a big impact on the play of others around him.

The problem as I see it is a lack of understanding what fits and what comprises a premium position based on the defensive front you deploy as your base defense . In a 34 base defense, defensive ends are not a premium position, so drafting 3 of them with 1st round picks is a mistake . A true NT is a premium position in any defense, and when you find one in free agency, it's like finding a strike after wondering the desert for years .

This defense is made up all wrong, and that's why folks don't understand what it is . we play a base 34 with the defensive line as the strength while having no true NT . The defensive linemen are all excellent as DEs, but would be superb 3T defensive tackles in the 43 next to the true NT we don't have . All their strengths are getting up the field, which leaves the  linebackers unprotected . 

The way this defense is constructed, the Jets would be better off not having any linebackers at all, but a strong defensive line and a bunch of defensive backs capable of tackling and  running . The defensive linemen are miscast as DEs in the 34 and 43 and because of it, the Linebackers are nullified >

10 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

All I know is most of our players look lumbering slow last season, while other team, especially the good ones, were flying around the field.  Is that lack of effort or crap coaching?  I think we are twice cursed.

You have to coach what you have . It was decent not great for the 1st year and worst the second year.  The Players don't fit the scheme the coach wants to run that got him the Job .  The players the Jets drafted on defense last year and this year are better fits for what this coach want to deploy . He's building what he wants, so now he has to prove it was worth it .

13 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You have to coach what you have . It was decent not great for the 1st year and worst the second year.  The Players don't fit the scheme the coach wants to run that got him the Job .  The players the Jets drafted on defense last year and this year are better fits for what this coach want to deploy . He's building what he wants, so now he has to prove it was worth it .

Now this I totally agree with. Bowles now has Lee, Jenkins, Adams & Maye. I'm not expecting miracles in the 1st half of the season regarding how this group gels together but if I see the same stupid mistakes or no type of stunts or schemes with these guys after the bye, Woody can send the Wooden Indian packing & I don't care if the door hits him on his azz on the way out.

Bowles last year in Arizona, I was supremely impressed with the way the Cards defended the Patriots in a game at Gillette. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t, even Belichicks defenses sucked half the time he's been in New England. Still holding out hope that the Jets were divided, the Fitz debocle threw everyone into turmoil, Mo was never really healthy after missing camp, and the youngsters getting their feet wet was to much to overcome with the decline in Revis, Skrine, Gilchrist & Pryors play. 

44 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

All I know is most of our players look lumbering slow last season, while other team, especially the good ones, were flying around the field.  Is that lack of effort or crap coaching?  I think we are twice cursed.

Agree, slow in every aspect of the game noticed this quite often while watching other NFL teams.

1 hour ago, Il Mostro said:

Lack of effort due to crappy coaching

1 hour ago, Il Mostro said:

Coaching, and lack of leadership/intelligence on the field.

This is why we took those two safeties. The hope is that they will correct the obvious lack of communication on the field and get everyone running full speed in the right direction.

Everyone looks slow when they are unsure where they are going. 

Archived