Report: Jets Decline Fifth-Year Option on Calvin Pryor

JetNation

IMG_0151-1.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

File this one under “least surprising developments” as the Jets will reportedly decline to pick up the fifth-year option on safety Calvin Pryor.

Kimberly Martin of Newsday says a source has told her that the team won’t be picking up Pryor’s option just days after the team drafted LSU safety Jamal Adams and Florida safety Marcus Maye.

Following the draft, GM Mike Maccagnan was asked if the team would in fact decline the fifth-year option, but declined comment as neither Pryor nor his agent had been made aware of the team’s decision.

Rumors surfaced during the draft that Pryor, along with defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson were being made available via trade but neither player garnered enough interest to make a trade worthwhile.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
RCpjqHH5sbY

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Freemanm said:

Too bad, I still think he could be a very good player in certain situations and if Todd Bowles had any sort of creativity he could create plays that utilize his talents

First round picks should not be situational players

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

That shows he has no trade value either. If a team wanted to trade for him, you would think that 5th year option would be attractive, rookie contract and all.

More shows how desperate the Jets are, given their current state. If a crack addict offers to sell you his flat screen TV, you know you could probably get it for ten bucks, so why pay more?

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

That shows he has no trade value either. If a team wanted to trade for him, you would think that 5th year option would be attractive, rookie contract and all.

No more scholarship time on the Jets these days. Good

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Athletic, aggressive, with poor instincts for the position and a questionable attitude. Nevertheless, was highly regarded by the draft community and the Jets took the bait. But enough about Darron Lee.

LOL!!!!!!!!  That was good.

This puts the pressure on Lee. Because if you had either Pryor or Lee I think you could use them to accomplish the same goal. But having both of them is pointless.

So Lee has to perform, which I think he will. No room for error though.

1 minute ago, Jetdawgg said:

First round picks should not be situational players

Yeah, and the first and second round picks shouldn't be two guys playing the same position either, especially when you're team has gaping holes all over the place. Go figure

Bowles is betting his job that he can construct a defense where Adams and Maye can play at the same time.  

I think that is a defense where there are more DBs, some of whom who are bigger, and fewer LBs, or at least middle lbs, could work.

But if he is wrong, he is toast.

18 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Could be. At his position, and given the way he plays, $6m was steep for a 5th year option (I think it'd become guaranteed if he got injured. Same reason they dumped Coples early, just in case, since they did exercise his $7m option earlier that spring). So all that's even without drafting two more safeties when they did.

He could have some trade value, but it won't be a lot. They may have figured he'd be easier to trade without the option exercised. I'd think even if they got a nibble they'd have exercised it, and let the new team rescind it if they like.

12 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Wonder if I am in the minority and hope we resign him. I doubt he is going to cost much on a contract extension and I think he could be an exceptional situational player he is good when he plays close to the line but takes bad angles and has bad coverage when there is separation.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

Its possible he has a use.  He does not seem like a bad guy.   He is looking at a second contract for not alot of money.  If it works for the Jets, fine, but my guess is that it is better team building to use a lower round pick next year for a backup/3rd safety.

There are also Miles, Martin and Middleton.  

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well I think the idea is that if Pryor was all that in coverage it might have saved a game, in which case we pick a little lower and someone else drafts Adams.

I think the idea is that maybe investing a sh*t ton of high picks on safeties within a 4-year span blows zebra balls.

Obviously the jets know something the rest of us don't. 

Not sure how a guy goes from being maybe our best defender in 2015 (defense went to the sh*tter after he got hurt late in the year) to completely despensiable a year later. 

Same with Sheldon. 

Im highly worried that our coach is incapable of putting these guys in positions to succeed.

9 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the idea is that maybe investing a sh*t ton of high picks on safeties within a 4-year span blows zebra balls.

7 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Not sure how a guy goes from being maybe our best defender in 2015 (defense went to the sh*tter after he got hurt late in the year) to completely despensiable a year later. 

Same with Sheldon. 

Im highly worried that our coach is incapable of putting these guys in positions to succeed.

I agree with all of this, but I think 2015 was a blip on the screen for Pryor, at least with this regime.  To keep him around year 5 is like $6mm, unless they can agree to something else.  He may also want a fresh start.

I am willing to start fresh with the Jets and this draft and look only forward.  I think and hope Macc and Bowles have learned from their practice years.  Hopefully Woody is looking at it the same way.  Rather than hire guys and quickly fire them, he needs to give them more time, and particularly more space.  

The approach they are taking with safety is a good one.  In four years I can see moving on to a big money contract and exercising Adams' option.  Maye would be replaced wtih a draft pick, and more money would be applied to corner.

But for this year, it works.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think you should have looked up what that 5th year option is worth.  No one was going to pay that loser almost $6MM for anything.

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Same with Sheldon. 

Our defense was average in 2015, and exactly what you said 1 year later, Just like our QB was  . How does a pitcher go from winning 15 games 1 yr  to losing 10 the next  . You can blame the coach all you want, but when people find out what a player can't do, it's hard to hide him when the other coach is scheming to find ways to attack those weaknesses .

Pryor can't cover, and neither can Harris . Last year Lee was a rookie and so was Jenkins while Mauldin was in and out of the lineup . It was easy to identify where Gilchrist was and work from there .

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Athletic, aggressive, with poor instincts for the position and a questionable attitude. Nevertheless, was highly regarded by the draft community and the Jets took the bait. But enough about Darron Lee.

You have nothing good to say about the Jets EVER. 

Surprise, surprise, you tend to stay away from talking about L.Williams. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is a thread about Calvin Pryor, not Quinton Coples.

4 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Too bad, I still think he could be a very good player in certain situations and if Todd Bowles had any sort of creativity he could create plays that utilize his talents

Wrong.  Pryor is not useful in any situation.  Whenever he is on the field, QB eyes get wide.   They cannot wait to audible to a play to take advantage of either his bad angles on something like a stretch running play..  or of course, any formation that will isolate him in coverage.

He is AWFUL.  Does not belong in the NFL.  What does it take for some of you to get this through your heads?

Better than 50/50 he doesn't even make the roster as some camp body or UDFA beats him out in training camp.

Obviously they weren't going to extend him. 

Best hope here is that Pryor decides he needs to do something to extend his career and plays a great year. Macc is not going to extend him after drafting first and second round safeties but it might get Pryor a trade after the preseason. At a minimum it might turn him into a comp pick if he hits free agency. 

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Screen-Shot-2015-10-27-at-2.23.10-PM.png

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

Same with Sheldon. 

Pryor wasn't the best defender on anything.  He's always blown.

Archived