My excitement for this season is at about nil

Pointdexter

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I can't wait for Todd Bowles to use his last time out on defense with 27 seconds left with the ball at the pats 45 when we are up by 2 points and new england has no time outs left because he is caught substituting.

the unrealistic part is the Jets leading....

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agree to a point, it would have been fun to get a highly-touted quarterback or RB in here and see if he is a gamechanger.

But here's the one thing that has me excited to show up on opening day:  Christian Hackenberg might be a great quarterback.

Mike Maccagnan probably was the greatest scout in the NFL last April, as the only NFL scouting director promoted to GM the year before and then with a full year as GM under his belt he had access to real world experience and data to make great decisions.  And all his instincts told him to pick Christian Hackenberg in the second round.  And this year, none of his instincts told him to take a quarterback in any round.  So I believe there is something there.  And I believe we have enough talent on offense to allow some of it to peek through this year.

Archie Manning is thought to be one of the best QB's of his era despite never having a team around him good enough to get a winning record.  You could see his ability and his talent even on a team bereft of it.  Point being, if Christian Hackenberg is going to be what Mike Maccagnan clearly thinks he can be, we're going to see it on display this season no matter how lousy the team is.  And that's something to be excited about.

SAR I

Every year, Archie Manning somehow gets better.....Lol

Guy was a loser and is a douche. 

Basically the most excited I've been since '11 when we broke up the trio of Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery to bring in Mason and Plaxico. Being a Jet fan has been a half assed experience for me since then and this is the first time I'm really into the draft class in a long time.

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

You guys speak like hack is starting.

hes not

its gonna be 16 games of mcclown for a 6 game win

We have a pretty difficult schedule!  So we aren't winning 6 games, even if we had an average NFL starter at QB (which we don't).  The QB battle will be between Petty and McCown, and its not a pretty picture with either one.

I agree with the OP, I can't remember the last time that I was this disinterested in an upcoming Jets season. There have been plenty of seasons where we knew we were going to be bad. This is something more than that - the fact that they'll be bad is part of it, admittedly, but not the whole thing.

No one on this team particularly excites me, we don't have any of those guys that you really have to stop and take notice of, the kind that can dominate a game all by themselves. I also couldn't care less about any individual player as a person and a character in the way that I could in the past with guys like Mangold, Bart Scott, etc. Where's the personality? And many of our best players just aren't that into the team or the game (Mo, Sheldon)... if they don't care, why should we?

Who cares if you don't want to watch? I don't understand the thread. Are you asking who will be joining you boycotting the season? 

Im a Jet fan & a football fan, of course I'll be watching. How much more exciting does it get when you finally see a concerted effort to rid the team of malcontents. There's plenty of interesting subplots to the upcoming season. 

Number one is Hackenberg. Second is the defense as a whole. Does Mo turn things around being 100% healthy. Does Sheldon beast playing for a future contract. Does Clairborne stay healthy? Will Burris nail down the #2 CB spot? Is Adams as great as the hype. Can Greene develop our LBs (Lee, Jenkins, Mauldin) & get some pass rush. Does Leo become the monster we expect him to be in his 3rd year in the league. Our special teams were horrific, can we turn that around?

Lets take a look at the offensive side of the ball after the QB. I'm interested to see Mortons offense. Will Enunwa, Anderson & Peake continue on an upward arc? Has ASJ finally decided to devote more effort? Stewart, Hansen, Leggett are all interesting prospects, how long will it take before we see them rotating in? 

Did we find a couple more UDFAs that will stick? I think it will be one of the more interesting seasons in a long time, plus the 2018 draft seems to have at least 3 top prospects & you know a couple more will rise after the college football season. Plus, there will be free agent QBs available too. Maybe Glennon again, Garapolo?, Taylor? maybe a few more. 

It's gonna be a lot more fun than last year. The Patriots have loaded up for another Super Bowl. What you hope for is the Patriots going 19-0 winning the Super Bowl & Brady and Belichick retiring. 

If we had drafted one of these marginal QB prospects from this draft, my enthusiasm would be at a zero.  At least we look like we have some sort of plan by supporting the development of Hackenburg and Petty by bringing in McCown and not drafting anyone else.  It may not work, but at least it is a coherent plan.

This season starts the way the last the last 35 have started for me; UNDEFEATED BABY!? One thing that's different about this season is that ownership, aka Mr. Johnson is willing to do what it takes to build a world class team. Make no mistake, the foundation of all teams, starts at the top and I'm elated to see a different mind set for our Jets from Woody. 

On 5/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, Pointdexter said:

For a brief moment, I really got excited about the Jets, thinking about all the possibilities they could add to the roster to make this team interesting again.

I'm sorry but a couple safeties do nothing to bring that excitement... that is a couple safeties and some mid-round wr's and a TE that really feel like Jalen Saunders -  Shaq Evans -  Quincy Enunwa. Honestly feels a lot like Idzik's 2014 draft (with admittedly better players,  could anyone do worse?).

My interest level is just bleh. If we had Deshaun Watson or Mahomes or Trubisky or Dalvin Cook or McCaffrey or Mike Williams, then ya,  I would be interested to follow this team. Something exciting to give hope. Jets right now are a cardinal sin of awful and completely uninteresting.

Call me a fairweather fan. I probably deserve it. But I'm checking out until next April. Team is unwatchable, and no I don't believe a couple safeties are the foundation to better days.  

I give you guys a lot of credit for being a better/stronger man than I. All the best, my Jet brethren. 

You are crying because the jets didn't pick 1 of these hackenberg 2.0's ? Jet fans are so impatient and stupid. We are getting a top 5 pick next yr, and there are 2-3 qbs coming out who are much better prospects. I'm surprised mac didn't want a high pick on yet another weak prospect for the 3rd yr in a row. Just have to look at next yr like a rookie training camp for 2018. 

And you know this how?

Darnold is the only sure thing and if we win more than 2 games we miss out on him.  The bust rate on other 1st round Qb's is like 80%

Which Qb class in the last decade will be more highly regarded than next years? Going in? As it stands, many predict that Qbs will go 1,2 and 3 overall

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

16 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Which Qb class in the last decade will be more highly regarded than next years? Going in? As it stands, many predict that Qbs will go 1,2 and 3 overall

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Yep. Faulk and Rosen sure look dam good to me. If you don't get #1, we gotta assure we get 1 of those two. Who knows who else comes out of nowhere too..

22 hours ago, thadude said:

And you know this how?

Darnold is the only sure thing and if we win more than 2 games we miss out on him.  The bust rate on other 1st round Qb's is like 80%

Shocking, a negative response from THADUDE.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:47 PM, kdels62 said:

Basically the most excited I've been since '11 when we broke up the trio of Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery to bring in Mason and Plaxico. Being a Jet fan has been a half assed experience for me since then and this is the first time I'm really into the draft class in a long time.

The bold!  WFT were they thinking!  Sanchez was in his low level adequacy rhythm when they pulled the rug out from under him.   

Last season gave us the worst play I have seen in 35 years of watching this team. Players straight gave up and the HC couldn't do anything about it. 

Then they cut Revis, Mangold and Marshall.

Then they bring in McCown.

Then they draft 2 safeties.

I too was pissed, but after speaking to my ancestors in the peyote hut and putting all the pieces together I have had a revelation.

I love it!

3 months ago I posted I wanted them to do what Theo did with the cubs, "Hey fans please be patient, we are going to tear this thing down and rebuild with youth".

Maybe.

Just maybe Mac and Bowles finally got through to Woody and told him no shiny toys, no favres, tebows or sanchez's, we are going to bring on the right types of young players and let them play.

If that is the case, I am really excited to see young hungry players fighting their asses off every week!

If they throw in the bonus and start the Hackenator, we either develop a young QB or pick high enough next year to draft from a good QB class.

23 hours ago, Larz said:

Last season gave us the worst play I have seen in 35 years of watching this team. Players straight gave up and the HC couldn't do anything about it. 

Then they cut Revis, Mangold and Marshall.

Then they bring in McCown.

Then they draft 2 safeties.

I too was pissed, but after speaking to my ancestors in the peyote hut and putting all the pieces together I have had a revelation.

I love it!

3 months ago I posted I wanted them to do what Theo did with the cubs, "Hey fans please be patient, we are going to tear this thing down and rebuild with youth".

Maybe.

Just maybe Mac and Bowles finally got through to Woody and told him no shiny toys, no favres, tebows or sanchez's, we are going to bring on the right types of young players and let them play.

If that is the case, I am really excited to see young hungry players fighting their asses off every week!

If they throw in the bonus and start the Hackenator, we either develop a young QB or pick high enough next year to draft from a good QB class.

Amen brother! 

Go back & look at EVERY YEAR, the Jets make a STUPID MOVE. Even f*cking Idziot couldn't help himself trading a 4th round pick for Percy Harvin? WTF! This after pretty much dismantling the entire team? STUPID! This year, so far thank god I haven't seen that SAVE FACE move that eventually always backfires on the Jets.

If it wasn't Macc/Bowles who finally convinced Woody to go on a complete rebuild, I believe Woody probably was convinced by guys like Casserly that he had to pull the bandaid right off. These older ex-GMs aren't always right when evaluating young players anymore, but they sure as hell can evaluate a team after a year like the Jets had in 2016 & say, "it's time to cut the cord on this faux veteran team and truly rebuild". You could see the lack of urgency and quit in the remaining veterans. Anyone with eyes could see guys that were literally only picking up pay checks, NY Jets franchise be damned.

On 5/2/2017 at 0:40 PM, Pointdexter said:

For a brief moment, I really got excited about the Jets, thinking about all the possibilities they could add to the roster to make this team interesting again.

I'm sorry but a couple safeties do nothing to bring that excitement... that is a couple safeties and some mid-round wr's and a TE that really feel like Jalen Saunders -  Shaq Evans -  Quincy Enunwa. Honestly feels a lot like Idzik's 2014 draft (with admittedly better players,  could anyone do worse?).

My interest level is just bleh. If we had Deshaun Watson or Mahomes or Trubisky or Dalvin Cook or McCaffrey or Mike Williams, then ya,  I would be interested to follow this team. Something exciting to give hope. Jets right now are a cardinal sin of awful and completely uninteresting.

Call me a fairweather fan. I probably deserve it. But I'm checking out until next April. Team is unwatchable, and no I don't believe a couple safeties are the foundation to better days.  

I give you guys a lot of credit for being a better/stronger man than I. All the best, my Jet brethren. 

Feel free to root for the Giants man. To be honest, I think the Jets fan base needs to have fewer negative nancy's anyway.

Archived