McCown discusses Jets QB situation

C Mart

By Ralph Vacchiano

Josh McCown said it will be a "full competition" for the Jets starting quarterback job this summer between him, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Clearly it's a competition he expects to win.

But he also knows that's not the only reason he's here.

The Jets didn't sign the 37-year-old McCown just to be their starting quarterback this season, they brought him in to help groom their young quarterbacks for their future rules. That's not always an easy thing for a player to do in the midst of fighting for playing time. But it's a role McCown says he'll embrace whether he's the starter or not.

"I think you don't know something as well as you think you do until you have to teach it," McCown said on Wednesday in his first interview since signing with the Jets in March. "When I got back into league with Chicago (in 2011 after sitting out in 2010), helping a guy like Jay Cutler, I realized 'You know what? This is helping me.' I played some of my best football (with the Bears).

"So I look forward to coming in here every day and working with Bryce and Hack and trying to give away the things that I've learned in my career and hopefully make their journeys better as they go throughout their career. That's the goal. And that's something I believe as a person -- not just inside of football but in every walk of life. If you can give away something that you know that can make somebody else's journey better, I think you're going to have a deeper sense of peace."

That's a mature way to handle a potentially difficult situation - albeit one the Jets were likely very clear about before they offered McCown a one-year, $6 million deal. They are in rebuilding mode and searching for a future franchise quarterback. McCown is simply the bridge until they find one, and he's expected to help Hackenberg and Petty along the way.

But McCown said he doesn't just see it as grooming the Jets' future. He believes that by helping the young quarterbacks he can help the Jets in the present, too.

"Then, as we compete, if they're at their best, they're pushing me to be my best and I think it hopefully makes our room better," he said. "So that's my ultimate goal. I don't see that being an issue because I want them to know everything they can to help them be at their best. If they're at their best and I have to play an even higher level because they're pushing (me), then ultimately that's good for everybody."

For the moment, though, it seems pretty clear that McCown will at least enter spring drills and summer training camp as the starter, and he's the favorite to be the starter on Opening Day as well. There's a good chance, though, that no matter what happens during the season he'll be asked to hand the job off to Hackenberg at some point. The Jets have made it clear that they want to get a look this season at their 2016 second-round pick.

But McCown said that if he wins the job he'll approach it as if it's his, not as if he's only a placeholder for someone else.

"That's my mindset," he said. "I think that's everybody's mindset. You do that until it changes. So absolutely, that's the goal. I hope that's Hack's goal and Bryce's goal as well. You just go in to compete and win the job, and if it changes it changes. … Obviously as a competitor you don't expect that to change, you don't want that to change. You plan to go out and play well. But as far as (the Jets') expectations, that's really a question for them."

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/mccown-discusses-jets-qb-situation/228078658

And yet there is an entire thread of SOJFs whining about giving him a few more bucks than the Cowboys were wiling to give him. We  have plenty of cap space this year and will have even more next year. Sometimes having a quality backup for young QBs is more important than a couple of million dollars for a rebuilding teams. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

And yet there is an entire thread of SOJFs whining about giving him a few more bucks than the Cowboys were wiling to give him. We  have plenty of cap space this year and will have even more next year. Sometimes having a quality backup for young QBs is more important than a couple of million dollars for a rebuilding teams. 

You also have to pay him more than the Cowboys do.

#1, Texas, no state income tax

#2, There, he can win, here he will not.

#3, Here, he has a chance to be a starter for maybe a couple 4-5 games.  There, he is the backup, true.  But a backup on a young team coming off a good season who should win a lot of games.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nothing here makes me change my opinion that McCown is the starter opening day.

If we waste another year with some washed up vet, I will not be happy. I could understand last year with all of the high priced vets, but this fall, it better be one of the young guys slinging to all these young WRs we have. Time to build some chemistry for our 2019 coming out party.

Kind of hope Petty just up and takes the job, and everyone involved looks stupid for getting him hurt last year, and then only going to him reluctantly at the end.

Wait. They all look stupid already. Okay, well, look stupider-er.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

That would be so monumentally stupid of the Jets it boggles the mind

They are approaching this as if Hack is a true rookie.  Last year was a mulligan.  The often rookie strategy is to have the veteran stopgap start the season and then have the rookie play mid-season if he is good.

There is also a film aspect to this.  NFL coach prep is very front loaded.  Other teams will prepare for McCown.  When the switcheroo occurs, Hack will have an advantage, at least for awhile.  It is next year that will be hard for him, after BB has 9 months to watch the 2017 Hack film.

I think that was the original plan for Wentz, but he looked so good by the end of pre-season that they just started him.   And he looked great....for awhile.  Then film was studied, and he tailed off.  People still think Wentz will be great, based on first impressions.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If Hack or Petty can't beat out McCown, why should either be handed the Job when it would have become abundantly clear that neither would be the future starter with what's on tap next year .

52 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I hope you aren't right. I fear you are.

The thing is, if the schedule was tougher from the start I could see starting the vet and then bringing along a kid. This schedule is the opposite. Going to get tougher as they go. Start a kid from day one.

I think the front office needs an OMG! They can't beat out McCown! moment so they can get busy choosing our Qb next year.

Here is the scenario that will have people on this board imploding.

McCown as we all know will get injured around game 4 or 5.  The Jets next step?  Sign Cutler.  :D

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

I hope you aren't right. I fear you are.

The thing is, if the schedule was tougher from the start I could see starting the vet and then bringing along a kid. This schedule is the opposite. Going to get tougher as they go. Start a kid from day one.

Agreed. It makes no sense to start Mccown against the likes of the Bills/Jags/Fish/Browns and then pull him to let Hack start against the Pats/Falcons/Panthers/Chiefs/Broncos etc..

If you want to give the kid a chance,  you let him get his feet wet against the easier part of the schedule on the hopes that by the time he faces the top end talent, he is ready for that challenge. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

a couple of posters have said it before, but Bryce Petty might actually be the best QB on the Jets right now 

The guy who couldn't throw a wet football last year and hasn't thrown a football since because he is recovering from an injured shoulder . 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I think the front office needs an OMG! They can't beat out McCown! moment so they can get busy choosing our Qb next year.

Here is the scenario that will have people on this board imploding.

McCown as we all know will get injured around game 4 or 5.  The Jets next step?  Sign Cutler.  :D

I think some Jet fans need an OMG - Hack can actually play QB moment , to interrupt them from their wet dreams of sucking for Sam narratives.

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think some Jet fans need an OMG - Hack can actually play QB moment , to interrupt them from their wet dreams of sucking for Sam narratives.

My optimistic side tells me to be excited for Hack. My realist side tells me that the only way to land a franchise QB is to suck for Sam or whichever QB emerges next year as the top QB prospect. This draft already has 3 or 4 guys that scouts are very high on. 

The worst case scenario is Mccown starting every game and the Jets go 7-9. We will be heading into 2018 without a franchise QB for the 40th year. 

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

My optimistic side tells me to be excited for Hack. My realist side tells me that the only way to land a franchise QB is to suck for Sam or whichever QB emerges next year as the top QB prospect. This draft already has 3 or 4 guys that scouts are very high on. 

The worst case scenario is Mccown starting every game and the Jets go 7-9. We will be heading into 2018 without a franchise QB for the 40th year. 

I am prepared to give Hackenberg a clean slate as the plan all along was to redshirt him last year.   It is entirely possible to have a horrible record next season and still have found our franchise quarterback.   See Peyton Manning, Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman to name a couple.  The key is to see IF Hackenberg can be the franchise quarterback, not whether we can win more games with McCown.  If he clearly not the answer, then we will be in perfect position to get a true blue chip quarterback next draft and continue the rebuild.  However, if he shows signs that he can be that guy we can simply build AROUND him adding more pieces to the OL, perhaps a true number 1 receiver. etc.  

46 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I hope I will find a stash of gold doubloons in my attic someday as well.

Everyone and their momma think the Jets have the worst roster in the league, with the worst QB situation in the league and for the most part the worst Head coach . With all this bad, there's no chance for this team in the coming season .  When this team does better than you all expect, I won't call you out, but welcome you home so you can help me cheer .

Archived