Breer On The Jets

KRL

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/04/deshaun-watson-houston-texans-nfl-draft-notebook

3. Jets double down at safety. Woody Johnson’s comments over the past few days are proof positive that the Jets football braintrust has sold its owner on a teardown. And if you want to know why the Jets took two safeties in the first 40 picks last weekend, that’s a good place to start. The picks are indicative of a number of things in the way the team is internally mapping this out.

First, they were the best players available. The Jets saw LSU’s Jamal Adams as a Top 3 player in the class, and Florida’s Marcus Maye as the top player not selected on Thursday. Second, and related to that, the double-dip acknowledges that the team knows it’s in no position to push needs now, given the state of its roster. Third, they reflect coach Todd Bowles carrying over to New York in earnest the player that defined his Arizona defenses—the hybrid. Maye is a better centerfielder than Adams, and Adams is more versatile overall and more comfortable closer to the line, but both can play in different spots, on different calls, and do different things. Tony Jefferson had that sort of adaptability for Bowles in Arizona, and it’s why the Jets went after him in March, with the idea that having two safeties, as one Bowles’ confidant describes it, that are “mirror images of one another so you have no idea where either is coming.” And fourth, and this shouldn’t be overlooked given the Sheldon Richardson and Mo Wilkerson situations, both guys were cultural fit. The Jets’ work showed that Maye and Jarrad Davis were the alpha dogs on a stingy Florida defense last fall, and Adams drew comparisons, from an intangible standpoint, to Chiefs All-Pro Eric Berry.Now, I can’t tell you that this is all going to work out, of course. But I can say that, in terms of how Mike Maccagnan and Co. see the total rebuild they’ve promised Johnson, last weekend went about as well as they could’ve hoped with their first two picks.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. But doing it right includes finding a franchise QB and finding a franchise QB means developing Hack/petty or tanking for a stud next year. 

I'm giving them this year and next to either suck for the next franchise QB or develop Hackenberg. Call me crazy. 

So when we eventually fire Bowles, and the new HC implements a different defense where having both Adams, and Maye doesn't fit, does double dipping look like the right play still?  I don't have a problem with BPA 1st round, and love the Adams pick, I have a HUGE problem drafting based on what Todd Bowles wants to do on defense it's a sure fire way to have players that don't fit down the road, if Bowles is say a proven safe HC sure NP, but he isn't regardless of what Woody has said he isn't getting 3 more years going 5-11, or worse, he might get 2, but that's it, and if Macc wants to stick around to hire another HC he should do what is best for the franchise as a whole not what is best for Todd Bowles defensive scheme, very stupid I year 3.

12 minutes ago, HessStation said:

I'm giving them this year and next to either suck for the next franchise QB or develop Hackenberg. Call me crazy. 

It's all you can do, really. No truly legit QB is going to come available as a FA and pick the Jets. And while it's good to constantly be on the prowl for QB talent, you cannot stay locked into stage 1 of draft a rookie QB and "develop" him, if you never let any of them transition to stage 2.

The QBs in this draft were unappealing. Hack is strong armed and inaccurate, and the same people that hate on him, wanted us to draft Patrick Mahomes... who is strong armed and inaccurate. I think we've invested 2 years in Petty (who lost most of his 2nd year, don't forget) and 1 year in Hack (who basically got table-scraps in 1st year). It's time to actually do something with these guys. Not just talk about developing them.

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's all you can do, really. No truly legit QB is going to come available as a FA and pick the Jets. And while it's good to constantly be on the prowl for QB talent, you cannot stay locked into stage 1 of draft a rookie QB and "develop" him, if you never let any of them transition to stage 2.

The QBs in this draft were unappealing. Hack is strong armed and inaccurate, and the same people that hate on him, wanted us to draft Patrick Mahomes... who is strong armed and inaccurate. I think we've invested 2 years in Petty (who lost most of his 2nd year, don't forget) and 1 year in Hack (who basically got table-scraps in 1st year). It's time to actually do something with these guys. Not just talk about developing them.

Patrick Mahomes, and inaccurate shouldn't be in the same sentence.

23 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

1)  I simply do not believe that Maye was the bpa at that pick

2)  Building a team to suit Todd bowels is a monumental mistake of epic proportions.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This whole "rebuild" thing is a mirage. Until they get rid of the Shrimp Boat Captain we have no future.

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

So when we eventually fire Bowles, and the new HC implements a different defense where having both Adams, and Maye doesn't fit, does double dipping look like the right play still?  I don't have a problem with BPA 1st round, and love the Adams pick, I have a HUGE problem drafting based on what Todd Bowles wants to do on defense it's a sure fire way to have players that don't fit down the road, if Bowles is say a proven safe HC sure NP, but he isn't regardless of what Woody has said he isn't getting 3 more years going 5-11, or worse, he might get 2, but that's it, and if Macc wants to stick around to hire another HC he should do what is best for the franchise as a whole not what is best for Todd Bowles defensive scheme, very stupid I year 3.

I don't think Maye is a scheme specific player. He's versatile. He can play both positions. So can Adams. So even though they may have taken a player Bowles likes for his system I think both guys can play at the same time in any system. It's fair to argue that Lee was a scheme specific draft selection, even though he too is versatile. But this is less true of Maye and Adams. Any defensive coordinator would love to have both guys and would most likely utilize them at the same time.     

I think the Jets had the right idea this draft and executed well given what they wanted.

Time will tell if their process leads to them having accurate grades on guys. That's what this all boils down to.

Just now, T0mShane said:

Breer in seven months, when they fire Maccagnan: "They couldn't seem to get him the right personnel to make his defense work..."

Seems pretty clear who has the upper hand here.

18 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

while it's good to constantly be on the prowl for QB talent, you cannot stay locked into stage 1 of draft a rookie QB and "develop" him, if you never let any of them transition to stage 2.

if 2nd year Hackenberg couldn't beat out "terrible" prospects like Watson or Mahomes as rookies, that's a reflection on Hackenberg. the rumblings are already starting that McCown is going to start. If Hack can't beat out bum of all bums Josh McCown that's a reflection on Hackenberg. 

Competition is what makes these guys good. Protecting the players by limiting competition doesn't help anyone.

Just once, I want the Jets to let the QB's truly compete with each other and earn the job like they do at other positions. Maybe that will happen this season but it hasn't happened for a really long time.  

10 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if 2nd year Hackenberg couldn't beat out "terrible" prospects like Watson or Mahomes as rookies, that's a reflection on Hackenberg. the rumblings are already starting that McCown is going to start. If Hack can't beat out bum of all bums Josh McCown that's a reflection on Hackenberg. 

Competition is what makes these guys good. Protecting the players by limiting competition doesn't help anyone.

Just once, I want the Jets to let the QB's truly compete with each other and earn the job like they do at other positions. Maybe that will happen this season but it hasn't happened for a really long time.  

Really???  You consider Manish and Cimini's predictions as rumblings? That is zero indication of who is going to start and more of an indication of two beat writers needing something to write about between the draft and OTAs.

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The QBs in this draft were unappealing. Hack is strong armed and inaccurate, and the same people that hate on him, wanted us to draft Patrick Mahomes... who is strong armed and inaccurate. 

OK now you're making stuff up to justify your stance on taking two safeties. Despite his awful mechanics and daredevil plays, Mahomes is very accurate.

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Really???  You consider Manish and Cimini's predictions as rumblings? That is zero indication of who is going to start and more of an indication of two beat writers needing something to write about between the draft and OTAs.

Bryce Petty is terrible and Hack wasnt allowed to see the field last year...seems like a strong indication to me.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Who's making these rumblings, the staff or outside forces that are no longer given free access to the daily workings of the Jets . The HC told us there will be a competition and so has the only QB who's made a public statement thus far . The rest is up to the QBs and the coordinator . We will just have to wait and see what becomes .

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Bryce Petty is terrible and Hack wasnt allowed to see the field last year...seems like a strong indication to me.

Who you going to believe, what you're told or your lying eyes ?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

2)  Building a team to suit Todd bowels is a monumental mistake of epic proportions.

Who are we supposed to build the team for?

I agree with the 1st part. There were better players imo at the time than Maye, but if we don't build the team in the draft to reflect what the HC wants to do then WTF are we doing? 

I generally didn't like it but if it works giving the man what he needs then isn't that what we all want?

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Again, Hack wasn't supposed to see the field last year. They said that from day 1. Not sure why some of you can't wait until Camp before sticking a nail on Hack's career. I am not expecting him to be good, but to write him off already is just stupid and typical SOJF nonsense. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Who are we supposed to build the team for?

I agree with the 1st part. There were better players imo at the time than Maye, but if we don't build the team in the draft to reflect what the HC wants to do then WTF are we doing? 

I generally didn't like it but if it works giving the man what he needs then isn't that what we all want?

The million dollar ? 

Some of our Jet fans want what we want even if it's not in the best interest of the team

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Then why is Breer going along with it? Why are so many people in the profession okay with this?

What's interesting about the double down on safeties is in theory they could've dropped to like 15 with Indy who reportedly wanted McCaffrey, picked up an extra 2, taken the rangiest safety in the draft (Hooker) and the biggest physical freak safety (Melifonwu), built a pseudo Thomas/Chancellor safety duo and still had 39 to play around with.

Obviously they really like the guys they got though. Seems they really prioritized character. Probably useful if you're looking to build a young roster and rebuild a locker room. But they have to be able to play too.

Breer said Adams was top 3 on the board. Probably the most interesting part of the article. That says 3 to me. If he was 2 you'd say top 2 I think. Guesses on 1/2? I say Garrett and Thomas.

ALSO back to safeties - the nice thing there is those guys are on the field regardless of down and distance.

Archived