Gary Myers comes to the rescue of sane Jets fans while shaming Cimini and Mehta in the logic department

Jetsbb

After Rich Cimini and Manish Mehta embarrassingly put their foot in their mouths and stated Mccown will be the starter bec he has more experience Gary Myers comes out with this article and puts these fools to shame.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/christian-hackenberg-jets-starting-qb-week-1-article-1.3133882

Here’s why Christian Hackenberg should be the Jets starting QB in Week 1 

Back The Hack.

No Joshing Around.

That’s my quarterback game plan for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.

Maccagnan did the right thing not trading up for Mitchell Trubisky and then passing on Patrick Mahomes II and Deshaun Watson in the first round and DeShone Kizer in the second.

Joe Namath wants to see Christian Hackenberg win Jets QB job

The Jets invested a second round pick on Christian Hackenberg last year and that’s too much capital to spend to then draft his replacement before he even gets the chance to step on the field.

The assumption is that Josh McCown, a less accomplished and more travelled journeyman than Ryan Fitzpatrick, will go into the season as the starter and then as soon as the Jets hit their first losing streak, Bowles will switch to Hackenberg.

NOV. 13, 2016, FILE PHOTO

Why wait until the Jets lose a few games to throw Christian Hackenberg into the mix?

(Bill Kostroun/AP)

There’s no reason to take the intermediate step.

McCown will be 38 in July, the Jets are his eighth team and his record as a starter is 18-42. What possible benefit is there to the Jets to let him open the season as the starter? Considering his track record, he is lucky to still have a job in the NFL.

Woody says Jets are trying out a new strategy to build winner

If Hackenberg is going to be given the best opportunity to succeed, then he must be the opening day starter. Why wait until the Jets are 2-4 or 1-5? Then morale in the locker room will have slipped, injuries will have piled up and Hackenberg will be taking over a failed operation. He deserves the chance to be the guy from day one to prove what he can do. If he’s a complete disaster, then go to McCown or Bryce Petty to get the Jets through the season leading up to them taking a QB in next year’s deep QB draft.

This plan might not be beneficial to Bowles’ job security, but this is bigger than Bowles.

McCown has the reputation of being a great teammate and mentor. He is playing for the $6 million that Fitzpatrick turned down as part of the three-year offer the Jets made last year, opting to take the one-year, $12 million. It would have been difficult for Fitz to transition from starter to backup with the Jets. McCown signed with the Jets with the expectation he will at the very least be given the chance to compete to start the season opener against the Bills, but if he doesn’t win the job, then his track record suggests he will do everything he can to help Hackenberg.

Christian Hackenberg needs to start the season as the starter in order for Jets to figure out what they have in the young QB out of Penn State.

Christian Hackenberg needs to start the season as the starter in order for Jets to figure out what they have in the young QB out of Penn State.

(Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)

What about Petty? I saw enough in his limited time on the field last season to know that his future in the NFL is as a backup at best. The Jets, who are making the switch from an overpaid underachieving team of veterans to a hungry bunch of kids, need to dedicate this season to finding out about Hackenberg.

McCown pickup hasn't ended Jets' Trubisky crush, and it shouldn't

By now, everybody knows the draft class of 2018 is loaded with QB prospects: USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Wyoming’s Josh Allen. We also know teams making the transition the Jets are attempting tend to struggle as their young players develop. If by the end of the season the Jets are not convinced Hackenberg is their guy, if he has not shown enough flashes to think there are big things in his future, then they will certainly be in position to get one of the top three QBs.

Of course, a lot can change with any of the college QBs during the 2017 season. Potential franchise quarterbacks today could be considered projects one year later. That’s what happened to Hackenberg and Geno Smith. So, while next year appears to be among the best QB drafts since 2004 – Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers – that’s nothing the Jets can count on right now.

As a result, all their focus needs to be on Hackenberg.

Bad sign: Despite one of the worst QB years in team history, the closest Hackenberg came to getting on the field was when he was the only healthy backup behind Fitz in the final game of the season. Bowles went from Fitz to Geno to Fitz to Petty and back to Fitz.

Jets Mailbag: Did GM Mike Maccagnan trade down too much in draft?

Josh McCown needs to play the role of veteran mentor with the Jets.

Josh McCown needs to play the role of veteran mentor with the Jets.

(Jason Miller/Getty Images)

Bowles said the plan all along was to redshirt Hackenberg his rookie year, which is coachspeak for saying he was just not ready and it would have been detrimental to the team and Hackenberg to let him play. He should have been given the chance to get some game experience in December to get used to the speed of the game. Nothing the Jets can do about that now.

The reviews on Hackenberg at training camp and then at practice during the season were not positive. Hackenberg played poorly at Penn State his last two seasons after a strong freshman year, but Maccagnan saw something that gave him the confidence to take him at least two rounds earlier than he was projected.

Even so, he didn’t even get a uniform on game day until the final day of the season. Meanwhile, Dak Prescott, a fourth round pick by the Cowboys, was 13-3 as a rookie and forced Tony Romo into retirement.

Hackenberg’s redshirt year is over. It’s time to take off the training wheels and see if the kid can fly.

Back The Hack. Not a bad motto for the season. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I don't think there's a writer in NY who knows less about the Jets than this dude....but in this case, he's right.

It is highly unfortunate Woody Johnson setup the hierarchy where Bowles and Mac are on equal footing reporting to him. If Hack is competent in the preseason but Mccown plays better bec of his experience Macagnin  will want to start Hack but we all know Bowles would rather go 5-11 with Mccown  than 3-13 trying out Hackenberg and if failing getting a stud in the draft.

Myers is absolutely right. Putting Hackenberg in later in the year when "morale is down and injuries have piled up" is exactly what they did with Petty last year. 

Not making excuses for Petty. He showed something, but overall was bad. But, how much can you really see in Hack if its November, we're in last and half our starters are hurt? 

McCown will be 38 in July, the Jets are his eighth team and his record as a starter is 18-42. What possible benefit is there to the Jets to let him open the season as the starter? Considering his track record, he is lucky to still have a job in the NFL.

Bowles just got done force-feeding the franchise a 32-year old quarterback with a record of 27-49-1 who was going on his sixth team, so maybe Myers could have saved us all a bit of time by just sending this as an email straight to Todd.

Hack needs to prove he can even function in the offense before we have this debate, IMO. Hack wasn't even at the level where you could put him in let him struggle and make the occasional play. He was just so far off. Apparently, he was even terrible in practice.

So I might be in the minority, but if Hack's still in a similar boat as last year where he can't make basic reads and is missing wide open throws, I understand why he wouldn't be starting.

Ideally, we wouldn't be starting McCown, but it is what it is at this point. 

I look at it this way...

Every game McCown starts and wins is detrimental to the long-term success of this team.  If he starts, we find ourselves rooting for a loss.  If Hack (or Petty) starts, I can root for wins but losses are okay as long as its mostly one or the other.  Given that choice, there is no choice.

Or...since it's May 4th...Hack or Petty.  There is no McCown.

5 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

It is highly unfortunate Woody Johnson setup the hierarchy where Bowles and Mac are on equal footing reporting to him. If Hack is competent in the preseason but Mccown plays better bec of his experience Macagnin  will want to start Hack but we all know Bowles would rather go 5-11 with Mccown  than 3-13 trying out Hackenberg and if failing getting a stud in the draft.

I believe that Woody has been sold on the rebuild from the bottom up and that Todd Bowles' job security is not tied to his win-loss record. I think the criteria for Bowles will be the team continuing to play hard thru the end of the year and players showing improvement in their play. Things that clearly didn't happen last year. That's why the majority of the disgruntled veterans are missing, and we're still discussing trading Sheldon and cutting Decker. 

Starting Hackenberg is the logical play as long as he looks reasonably competent. Really, if he sucks, that's more of an indictment on Maccagnan, anyway. And the fact that the two men report to Woody equally works in Bowles' favor in that case. Mac offers his mea culpa, and then does whatever he has to do to draft the best QB in 2018. 

Contrary to this Myers article, I've read that the Jets were pleased with Hackenberg's progress over the course of the season, A lot is made of him never getting on the field last year, but I'm not sure what throwing him into a losing situation on a team that had already given up would've done for him besides sap his confidence. Fresh, new, young team, with the little optimism that goes with opening day, that's the time to start Hack. 

It's been stated Hack has made progress to the point he is closing in on Petty. Although that sounds promising it's not really because we all saw what happened to Petty.
What we have not seen practice or otherwise is Hack working primarily with the number 1 starters...gaining chemistry with them so they are all on the same page. I think this goes for Petty as well...he was really thrown in a mess of a situation where the entire team had already checked out.

It seemed like only Petty and Anderson were the only 2 that were clicking when Petty was behind center.

I think this time with the starters will be huge for both QB's.

No doubt as well the Pro Fitz pack of players will no longer be causing issues...I'm sure that did not help either.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, D'Pez Poopsie said:

Hack needs to prove he can even function in the offense before we have this debate, IMO. Hack wasn't even at the level where you could put him in let him struggle and make the occasional play. He was just so far off. Apparently, he was even terrible in practice.

So I might be in the minority, but if Hack's still in a similar boat as last year where he can't make basic reads and is missing wide open throws, I understand why he wouldn't be starting.

Ideally, we wouldn't be starting McCown, but it is what it is at this point. 

if that's the case, and it might be, you open the season with Petty.  If McCown opens the season I'll be fishing on Sunday's 

So the best case scenario with starting Hack right away is he develops and becomes the franchise QB. The worst case scenario is he doesn't develop they go 2-14 and are in prime position to get a franchise QB in the draft.

The best case scenario with starting Mccown right away is he plays like he did that one season with the Bears and they miraculously go 7-9 have no clue about Hackenberg and are out of the running in getting one of the franchise QB's.

With these 2 options Cimini and Manish write articles stating its a forgone conclusion and obvious that Mccown is the starter. **** me

32 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

This is what happens when your GM has no clue.

We needed a QB and he got a Safety.....  errrr....3 Safeties.

They draft a Qb and they're in the same situation as last year - 4 QB's, not enough time for the drafted rookie and the aged vet probably starts again.

At least now Hack & Petty should get enough 1st team reps to force their way into the starters spot. Its hard to start when your given virtually no reps with the #1's.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I believe that Woody has been sold on the rebuild from the bottom up and that Todd Bowles' job security is not tied to his win-loss record. I think the criteria for Bowles will be the team continuing to play hard thru the end of the year and players showing improvement in their play. Things that clearly didn't happen last year. That's why the majority of the disgruntled veterans are missing, and we're still discussing trading Sheldon and cutting Decker. 

Starting Hackenberg is the logical play as long as he looks reasonably competent. Really, if he sucks, that's more of an indictment on Maccagnan, anyway. And the fact that the two men report to Woody equally works in Bowles' favor in that case. Mac offers his mea culpa, and then does whatever he has to do to draft the best QB in 2018. 

Contrary to this Myers article, I've read that the Jets were pleased with Hackenberg's progress over the course of the season, A lot is made of him never getting on the field last year, but I'm not sure what throwing him into a losing situation on a team that had already given up would've done for him besides sap his confidence. Fresh, new, young team, with the little optimism that goes with opening day, that's the time to start Hack. 

Great post. If Hack does start it will make the Jets look as though they really DO have a plan.

1 hour ago, nicg4360 said:

It's been stated Hack has made progress to the point he is closing in on Petty. Although that sounds promising it's not really because we all saw what happened to Petty.
What we have not seen practice or otherwise is Hack working primarily with the number 1 starters...gaining chemistry with them so they are all on the same page. I think this goes for Petty as well...he was really thrown in a mess of a situation where the entire team had already checked out.

It seemed like only Petty and Anderson were the only 2 that were clicking when Petty was behind center.

I think this time with the starters will be huge for both QB's.

No doubt as well the Pro Fitz pack of players will no longer be causing issues...I'm sure that did not help either.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

HMMM...I saw Bryce Petty running for his life then getting injured behind a crappy O-line.  Maybe Tom Brady wins with that line we had last year but he'd be the only qb able to do so.

24 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

So the best case scenario with starting Hack right away is he develops and becomes the franchise QB. The worst case scenario is he doesn't develop they go 2-14 and are in prime position to get a franchise QB in the draft.

The best case scenario with starting Mccown right away is he plays like he did that one season with the Bears and they miraculously go 7-9 have no clue about Hackenberg and are out of the running in getting one of the franchise QB's.

With these 2 options Cimini and Manish write articles stating its a forgone conclusion and obvious that Mccown is the starter. **** me

Cimini and Mehta, like most others, probably agree with Myers. Their cynical tweets happened after Myers' article.

Cynical like 90% of JN that has little faith in Bowles' decision making ability. But imagine if Hack played WK 17 and suffered a serious injury in a meaningless game? 

IMO if Bowles has been guaranteed he'll be back in 2018, one of the kids will start.  If he hasn't been guaranteed job security it'll be McCown.

From the way they are acting so far, it looks to me that Woody has told both Macc and Woody they have a job after next season no matter what 

If T Blowes tries that hackneyed "best chance to win" bromide again, Jet fans will storm the field.  Why in God's name would you bring in the ultimate loser to mentor your young pups?  What is he going to teach them? How to fall more softly on the grass?  If you must bring in an old timer bring someone who won womething once.  First Fitz, with no career PO appearances, Now McCown at 18-42, for God's sake!

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There seems to be a very large disconnect between what the jets should do and what they will do.

There seems to be this false thought that if a person says that McCown will start that they want him to start.

I think it represents the general cynicism around here more than anything else. 

Archived