Gary Myers comes to the rescue of sane Jets fans while shaming Cimini and Mehta in the logic department

Jetsbb

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Petty or Hack. I don't care which. Only thing that makes this season worth watching... otherwise, we're still running in place.

I would prefer a taller, less injury prone guy with a stronger arm

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jack48 said:

If T Blowes tries that hackneyed "best chance to win" bromide again, Jet fans will storm the field.  Why in God's name would you bring in the ultimate loser to mentor your young pups?  What is he going to teach them? How to fall more softly on the grass?  If you must bring in an old timer bring someone who won womething once.  First Fitz, with no career PO appearances, Now McCown at 18-42, for God's sake!

No they won't

A few of them will raise hell here, the rest will just sell their tickets to opposing fans

27 minutes ago, jack48 said:

If T Blowes tries that hackneyed "best chance to win" bromide again, Jet fans will storm the field.  Why in God's name would you bring in the ultimate loser to mentor your young pups?  What is he going to teach them? How to fall more softly on the grass?  If you must bring in an old timer bring someone who won womething once.  First Fitz, with no career PO appearances, Now McCown at 18-42, for God's sake!

Being a winner and being a good teacher don't necessarily go hand in hand. There have been quality NFL HC's who never player the game and vice versa there have been SB winning players who couldn't teach or coach a lick .

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Being a winner and being a good teacher don't necessarily go hand in hand. There have been quality NFL HC's who never player the game and vice versa there have been SB winning players who couldn't teach or coach a lick .

Very good points.

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There seems to be a very large disconnect between what the jets should do and what they will do.

There seems to be this false thought that if a person says that McCown will start that they want him to start.

On the what the Jets should do side  - its generally a consensus and a positive of what the fans think will benefit the team.

On the what they will do  side- its the naysayer SOJF mentality that the Jets will always do the wrong thing. And its the unrelenting certainty from some that it will happen which is annoying.

Its not a problem  that fans believe McCown will start , its the whole aura of smugness and negativity that encompany those statements that is the problem.

Holy ****.  Throw the kid in there this year. Starting the year off with McCown accomplishes nothing and is just delaying the inevitable. If Hack falls on this face, let him fall. The entire existence of the 2017 season is for the Jets to find out if Hack (or Petty) can actually be a starting NFL QB. The only way to do that is to get them on the field. **** McCown. Let him 'mentor' with his $6M on the bench. Throw in Hack. Let him sink or swim.  If he sh*ts up the bed, Petty gets the nod down the stretch and you are in a position to draft a top QB in 2018. 

It's not that complicated. 

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

On the what the Jets should do side  - its generally a consensus and a positive of what the fans think will benefit the team.

On the what they will do  side- its the naysayer SOJF mentality that the Jets will always do the wrong thing. And its the unrelenting certainty from some that it will happen which is annoying.

Its not a problem  that fans believe McCown will start , its the whole aura of smugness and negativity that encompany those statements that is the problem.

Like it or not the smug, negative people have been right about 90% of the time re players and coaches on this team for years.  The super happy positive guys have been right about 10% of the time if that.

The smug, negative posters are also far more logical than the other side when looking at the team.  Once this team starts doing the right thing more than wrong they can shut up the negative nelllies.

27 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Like it or not the smug, negative people have been right about 90% of the time re players and coaches on this team for years.  The super happy positive guys have been right about 10% of the time if that.

The smug, negative posters are also far more logical than the other side when looking at the team.  Once this team starts doing the right thing more than wrong they can shut up the negative nelllies.

Its easy to claim that when your negative about everything , you can always  point out the ones you were right about, but few will comeback and admit they were wrong about players or coaches etc.....

Never happen. In my 30+ years in the corporate world I've learned there are people who will complain no matter the circumstances. The same is true of Jet fans , this last decade or so has been the the best in terms of winning/success in team history - even if the Jets won a SB there would still be fans here telling us the win was lucky or some other nonsense.  Bottom line people love to be miserable and they try desperately to drag everyone down with them.

32 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Its easy to claim that when your negative about everything , you can always  point out the ones you were right about, but few will comeback and admit they were wrong about players or coaches etc.....

Never happen. In my 30+ years in the corporate world I've learned there are people who will complain no matter the circumstances. The same is true of Jet fans , this last decade or so has been the the best in terms of winning/success in team history - even if the Jets won a SB there would still be fans here telling us the win was lucky or some other nonsense.  Bottom line people love to be miserable and they try desperately to drag everyone down with them.

Who knew Ray Ray had a new forum name. 

Logic and critical analysis now = hate and whining guys, donchaknow.

Utopian Fans, the only good fans.

If Woody is telling his fanbase not to look at wins or losses before the season, there's no way they're not giving Hack and Petty every chance to start. I expect them to get most of the reps. And one of them to start most of the preseason. Maybe mccown gets the 2nd game. That's about it. 

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or maybe, just maybe, Jets fans fall within the same reality that is inexplicably impossible for so many people to grasp in any phase of the world: there are more than just the two opposite extremes.  Sure, there are some laughably homerific who would never say an unkind word about the team, and there are also other incessant whiners who desperately try to turn everything into some catastrophically unmatched disaster.  Both are complete wastes of bandwidth, as they provide nothing of value while having the amazingly similar trait of painting themselves as the constant victims of everyone else on the board, unappreciated for their self-proclaimed superiority.

The reality of the situation is that a great many fall somewhere in between, with of course a sliding scale of how positive or negative they tend to be, but meanwhile are actually capable of using real logic (not the fabrications that whiners/homers call "logic") to make an argument, and amazingly don't feel the need to crucify themselves anytime someone disagrees.

Hack should start from start of season if he shows in training camp that he has a chance to be a competent QB.

Can't understand starting with McCown and having expectation that Hack will take over later in season.  Would think Hack will be best prepared at start of season if he's named starter and taking starter reps, than if he comes in midseason after getting limited backup reps for weeks.  

But if, as very well may be the case, Hack just sucks, then don't play him, play McCown.

4 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If Woody is telling his fanbase not to look at wins or losses before the season, there's no way they're not giving Hack and Petty every chance to start. I expect them to get most of the reps. And one of them to start most of the preseason. Maybe mccown gets the 2nd game. That's about it. 

Serious question.  Why do you think they paid McCown 3 times what the nearest suitor did?

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Typical response , when offered a logical counter response - throw insults.

I'll call the Jets out when I  believe its warranted . And FTR I've had many a battle with Ray Ray over Rex , so I'm far from being a sunshiner.

10 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

After Rich Cimini and Manish Mehta embarrassingly put their foot in their mouths and stated Mccown will be the starter bec he has more experience Gary Myers comes out with this article and puts these fools to shame.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/christian-hackenberg-jets-starting-qb-week-1-article-1.3133882

Here’s why Christian Hackenberg should be the Jets starting QB in Week 1 

Back The Hack.

No Joshing Around.

That’s my quarterback game plan for Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles.

Maccagnan did the right thing not trading up for Mitchell Trubisky and then passing on Patrick Mahomes II and Deshaun Watson in the first round and DeShone Kizer in the second.

Joe Namath wants to see Christian Hackenberg win Jets QB job

The Jets invested a second round pick on Christian Hackenberg last year and that’s too much capital to spend to then draft his replacement before he even gets the chance to step on the field.

The assumption is that Josh McCown, a less accomplished and more travelled journeyman than Ryan Fitzpatrick, will go into the season as the starter and then as soon as the Jets hit their first losing streak, Bowles will switch to Hackenberg.

NOV. 13, 2016, FILE PHOTO

Why wait until the Jets lose a few games to throw Christian Hackenberg into the mix?

(Bill Kostroun/AP)

There’s no reason to take the intermediate step.

McCown will be 38 in July, the Jets are his eighth team and his record as a starter is 18-42. What possible benefit is there to the Jets to let him open the season as the starter? Considering his track record, he is lucky to still have a job in the NFL.

Woody says Jets are trying out a new strategy to build winner

If Hackenberg is going to be given the best opportunity to succeed, then he must be the opening day starter. Why wait until the Jets are 2-4 or 1-5? Then morale in the locker room will have slipped, injuries will have piled up and Hackenberg will be taking over a failed operation. He deserves the chance to be the guy from day one to prove what he can do. If he’s a complete disaster, then go to McCown or Bryce Petty to get the Jets through the season leading up to them taking a QB in next year’s deep QB draft.

This plan might not be beneficial to Bowles’ job security, but this is bigger than Bowles.

McCown has the reputation of being a great teammate and mentor. He is playing for the $6 million that Fitzpatrick turned down as part of the three-year offer the Jets made last year, opting to take the one-year, $12 million. It would have been difficult for Fitz to transition from starter to backup with the Jets. McCown signed with the Jets with the expectation he will at the very least be given the chance to compete to start the season opener against the Bills, but if he doesn’t win the job, then his track record suggests he will do everything he can to help Hackenberg.

Christian Hackenberg needs to start the season as the starter in order for Jets to figure out what they have in the young QB out of Penn State.

Christian Hackenberg needs to start the season as the starter in order for Jets to figure out what they have in the young QB out of Penn State.

(Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)

What about Petty? I saw enough in his limited time on the field last season to know that his future in the NFL is as a backup at best. The Jets, who are making the switch from an overpaid underachieving team of veterans to a hungry bunch of kids, need to dedicate this season to finding out about Hackenberg.

McCown pickup hasn't ended Jets' Trubisky crush, and it shouldn't

By now, everybody knows the draft class of 2018 is loaded with QB prospects: USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen and Wyoming’s Josh Allen. We also know teams making the transition the Jets are attempting tend to struggle as their young players develop. If by the end of the season the Jets are not convinced Hackenberg is their guy, if he has not shown enough flashes to think there are big things in his future, then they will certainly be in position to get one of the top three QBs.

Of course, a lot can change with any of the college QBs during the 2017 season. Potential franchise quarterbacks today could be considered projects one year later. That’s what happened to Hackenberg and Geno Smith. So, while next year appears to be among the best QB drafts since 2004 – Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, Philip Rivers – that’s nothing the Jets can count on right now.

As a result, all their focus needs to be on Hackenberg.

Bad sign: Despite one of the worst QB years in team history, the closest Hackenberg came to getting on the field was when he was the only healthy backup behind Fitz in the final game of the season. Bowles went from Fitz to Geno to Fitz to Petty and back to Fitz.

Jets Mailbag: Did GM Mike Maccagnan trade down too much in draft?

Josh McCown needs to play the role of veteran mentor with the Jets.

Josh McCown needs to play the role of veteran mentor with the Jets.

(Jason Miller/Getty Images)

Bowles said the plan all along was to redshirt Hackenberg his rookie year, which is coachspeak for saying he was just not ready and it would have been detrimental to the team and Hackenberg to let him play. He should have been given the chance to get some game experience in December to get used to the speed of the game. Nothing the Jets can do about that now.

The reviews on Hackenberg at training camp and then at practice during the season were not positive. Hackenberg played poorly at Penn State his last two seasons after a strong freshman year, but Maccagnan saw something that gave him the confidence to take him at least two rounds earlier than he was projected.

Even so, he didn’t even get a uniform on game day until the final day of the season. Meanwhile, Dak Prescott, a fourth round pick by the Cowboys, was 13-3 as a rookie and forced Tony Romo into retirement.

Hackenberg’s redshirt year is over. It’s time to take off the training wheels and see if the kid can fly.

Back The Hack. Not a bad motto for the season. 

I was right there with him until this.  It is so assinine to go by the limited reps he got in TC and practice.   Also just what would have been the purpose of playing the last game of the season when every body and their mother had given up and was waiting to clean out their locker?  Why not start with a clean slate, a fresh group of players the next season?   I am going to go on record and say Hackenberg is going to shut up a lot of know it alls on this site.  The kid has the right attitude and all the tools to be successful.  I am all in on the kid and hope he gets a legit shot to be the starter.  As I have said in previous posts, if McCown is the starter, I will find something else to do on my Sundays. 

10 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Serious question.  Why do you think they paid McCown 3 times what the nearest suitor did?

Possibly - who else was out there that was willing to accept the role they asked of McCown.

13 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I just don't see any benefit in starting Mccown. The only reason I can think of is maybe it's easier to develops the offense with veteran talent. Even that's not a good reason. 

And I really do believe they wanted a strong leadership presence in the quarterback room(this has been the theme of the offseason). Mccown has been praised as just that, along with being a coach someday. Maybe that's why they passed on Cutler? 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree with the article. It's what "should" happen.

I do not believe at this time that this is what WILL happen.

Why?  I mean this not the veteran laden team Fitz played on. This a team of young players, they are iin the midst of a true rebuild, even Woody acknowledged this.  I mean unless both Hack and Petty totally suck or get hurt, there is absolutely NO upside or logical reason to starting McCown. NONE. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

There seems to be a very large disconnect between what the jets should do and what they will do.

There seems to be this false thought that if a person says that McCown will start that they want him to start.

I don't even know why you think he will start... 

31 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Or maybe, just maybe, Jets fans fall within the same reality that is inexplicably impossible for so many people to grasp in any phase of the world: there are more than just the two opposite extremes.  Sure, there are some laughably homerific who would never say an unkind word about the team, and there are also other incessant whiners who desperately try to turn everything into some catastrophically unmatched disaster.  Both are complete wastes of bandwidth, as they provide nothing of value while having the amazingly similar trait of painting themselves as the constant victims of everyone else on the board, unappreciated for their self-proclaimed superiority.

The reality of the situation is that a great many fall somewhere in between, with of course a sliding scale of how positive or negative they tend to be, but meanwhile are actually capable of using real logic (not the fabrications that whiners/homers call "logic") to make an argument, and amazingly don't feel the need to crucify themselves anytime someone disagrees.

Awesome Post my friend, I have nothing to add because you just said it all.  Rep Plus 1,000.

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Petty or Hack. I don't care which. Only thing that makes this season worth watching... otherwise, we're still running in place.

Petty is atrocious.  I'm not sure why people keep bringing him up as a potential starter.

If this hick UDFA QB they signed from the boonies shows anything they might punt Petty out of Florham Pk.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I agree with the article. It's what "should" happen.

I do not believe at this time that this is what WILL happen.

I agree. In all liklihood what will happen is McCown will outplay Hack & Petty in preseason games (& practice) and get the start on opening day. Not happy about it, but seems likely.

10 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

If Hack is competent in the preseason but Mccown plays better bec of his experience Macagnin  will want to start Hack but we all know Bowles would rather go 5-11 with Mccown  than 3-13 trying out Hackenberg and if failing getting a stud in the draft.

I think Bowles and Mac have been given assurances that they will not be judged by this season alone. Unless the team absolutely quits on Bowles which is unlikely given the youth of the team, so I doubt Bowles will be fired. It would not be fair to him to can him in a rebuilding year. Lets see how he develops players on defense and how well Hackenberg develops. I totally agree that Hackenberg should be the starting QB from day one unless he proves he can't do it.

1 minute ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I agree. In all liklihood what will happen is McCown will outplay Hack & Petty in preseason games (& practice) and get the start on opening day. Not happy about it, but seems likely.

I disagree. I think McCown knows that he is here primarily as a backup and veteran mentor. I doubt he has been given any assurances of starting unlike Fitzpatrick who knew he would start. This has to be Hackenberg's year, because I see Petty as no more than a backup. If Hackenberg bombs, then I would go with McCown but I would also give Hackenberg a very loooooong leash.

16 minutes ago, Pac said:

Petty is atrocious.  I'm not sure why people keep bringing him up as a potential starter.

If this hick UDFA QB they signed from the boonies shows anything they might punt Petty out of Florham Pk.

Tulsa is not exactly "the boonies" but I agree. I he shows more than Petty then cut Petty. I pounded the table for Petty when Mac drafted him, but he showed very little and had the frustrating habit of dropping the ball down when his primary target was covered and was inaccurate when he brought it back to passing level.

46 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Why?  I mean this not the veteran laden team Fitz played on. This a team of young players, they are iin the midst of a true rebuild, even Woody acknowledged this.  I mean unless both Hack and Petty totally suck or get hurt, there is absolutely NO upside or logical reason to starting McCown. NONE. 

Two possible why:

1. Bowles want to win to save his own ass.

2. McCown is simply vastly better than Hack.

Bonus reason:

1. Hack still isn't close to being ready to actually play yet.

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Two possible why:

Bonus reason:

Fair enough; we shall see.  Personally if Bowles thinks playing McCown will save his ass he is as good as gone anyway.  I think Hack will prove he is more ready than you think. 

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

McCown has said he was told he would compete for the starting job.

Right - and the role I speak of is that of mentor with a chance to compete for the job.

Not many vet backups out there who would be interested in the mentor role eventhough they'd have a chance at potentially starting.

14 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Fair enough; we shall see.  Personally if Bowles thinks playing McCown will save his ass he is as good as gone anyway.  I think Hack will prove he is more ready than you think. 

What we may want =/= what we may predict.

I don't think you'll find even one poster who would want Hack to fail or who would want McCown to start.

But until Hack shows us otherwise, all we have to judge/predict is the facts in evidence to-date. And those do not make Hack look good.

So yes, we'll see. 

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

I was right there with him until this.  It is so assinine to go by the limited reps he got in TC and practice.   Also just what would have been the purpose of playing the last game of the season when every body and their mother had given up and was waiting to clean out their locker?  Why not start with a clean slate, a fresh group of players the next season?   

Exactly. What good would playing football have done for a football player? 

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Two possible why:

Bonus reason:

If you want a reason to justify starting McCown, look at what he did for Travis Benjamin and Gary Barnidge. McCown sucks, but he somehow helps receivers put up numbers.

Archived