Gary Myers comes to the rescue of sane Jets fans while shaming Cimini and Mehta in the logic department

Jetsbb

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

What we may want =/= what we may predict.

I don't think you'll find even one poster who would want Hack to fail or who would want McCown to start.

But until Hack shows us otherwise, all we have to judge/predict is the facts in evidence to-date. And those do not make Hack look good.

So yes, we'll see. 

No doubt. I guess I am going with my heart on this one. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't start hackenberg..when he sucks again, everyone will be pissed they didn't draft a QB. They have to go with the start McCown and let him get hurt or suck so the fanbase is raving to have him replaced. That way when hack sucks, they can hope that people won't be as pissed. Until 6-10 anyway and the Bills or Cleveland use that second 1st to trade up for a QB.

5 hours ago, Pac said:

Petty is atrocious.  I'm not sure why people keep bringing him up as a potential starter.

If this hick UDFA QB they signed from the boonies shows anything they might punt Petty out of Florham Pk.

LOL says the guy who, despite the prescence of Joewilly12, made the least intellectual pro-Geno arguments.

Atrocious is the standard here.

11 hours ago, 20andOut said:

Playing McCown accomplishes nothing. Either Hack or Petty should be taking every snap this year.

This times a million, and the same goes for the second half of last season, no, wait, the entire last season as it turned out.

20 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

LOL says the guy who, despite the prescence of Joewilly12, made the least intellectual pro-Geno arguments.

He could be right though, Petty is brittle, and always injured. Perhaps if we had someone who could block for him, that would change, but since we don't, he will start the season as the #1 and be out by the second half of that first game anyway.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Compared to Petty, Geno is Bart Starr.

2 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

He could be right though, Petty is brittle, and always injured. Perhaps if we had someone who could block for him, that would change, but since we don't, he will start the season as the #1 and be out by the second half of that first game anyway.

Ya know, even I believe that Petty has been hurt an awful lot...

But to call him 'brittle' after seeing some of the shots he took is a bit extreme.  The OL did him no favors last year...PS and/or regular season.

On 5/5/2017 at 8:55 AM, slats said:

I believe that Woody has been sold on the rebuild from the bottom up and that Todd Bowles' job security is not tied to his win-loss record. I think the criteria for Bowles will be the team continuing to play hard thru the end of the year and players showing improvement in their play. Things that clearly didn't happen last year. That's why the majority of the disgruntled veterans are missing, and we're still discussing trading Sheldon and cutting Decker. 

Starting Hackenberg is the logical play as long as he looks reasonably competent. Really, if he sucks, that's more of an indictment on Maccagnan, anyway. And the fact that the two men report to Woody equally works in Bowles' favor in that case. Mac offers his mea culpa, and then does whatever he has to do to draft the best QB in 2018. 

Contrary to this Myers article, I've read that the Jets were pleased with Hackenberg's progress over the course of the season, A lot is made of him never getting on the field last year, but I'm not sure what throwing him into a losing situation on a team that had already given up would've done for him besides sap his confidence. Fresh, new, young team, with the little optimism that goes with opening day, that's the time to start Hack. 

agree with most.  i'm not sure woody is as sold on bowles irregardless of the record. imo what he is going to want to see is the team win the games they should win and play sound football for the whole game.  at least that's how i'd be looking at bowles.  as for hack, there is no reason why mccown should start unless hack is either injured or he has stunk it up.

In theory I agree 100% that starting Hackenberg is the right move. He's young and has talent, we invested a 2nd round pick in him, and in the worst case scenario he's absolutely dreadful and leads us to a terrible record where we can draft the real guy next year.

I'm concerned, however, that he's SO bad that it would simply be irresponsible to start him, and subsequently the Jets won't. Like, embarrassingly bad, shouldn't be on an NFL roster bad. Like, horrific, headline making, lose the locker room, incredibad. The fact that he didn't play in the first two preseason games last year, the fact that he played about as poorly as any QB I've ever seen in that fourth preseason game against the Eagles, the fact that despite horrific QB play the team never considered putting him out there, the fact that there were tons of negative leaks about his performance from coaches... I think there's real reason to think the guy simply cannot play. And if he simply cannot play he simply will not play.

Fingers crossed he makes real progress and that the team truly wanted to reshirt him (which makes little sense when he gets zero reps and we change offensive coordinators.) But I'm not overly optimistic.

Archived