Jets taking steps to improve leadership, Quincy Enunwa says

Gas2No99

NFL: Buffalo Bills at New York Jets

NEW YORK --  Quincy Enunwawas about as blunt as he could be back in December. He had just finished cleaning out his locker, one day after the Jets' miserable 5-11 season mercifully came to an end.

The year was supposed to be one that ended with a playoff appearance. Instead, it was filled with drama. The problem was simple, Enunwa said, the Jets never felt like a team.

Apparently, Todd Bowles is trying to change that.

"Coach did a great job doing leadership things for us this year," Enunwa said at the United Way of New York City's Gridiron Gala in Midtown, where he and Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich and were honored for their charitable works. "We did a type of workout that builds character. A group came in and helped us out a little bit.

"That was cool to do. To build leadership and build relationships together. I think this year we're going to be a stronger group."

The Jets roster looks an awful lot different than it did a year ago. General manager Mike Maccagnan purged the team of its aging stars. In their place, young guys like Enunwa, whom the team hopes develop into capable replacements.

And for Enunwa specifically, that could mean expanding his role. As a rookie sixth-round pick in 2014, he essentially redshirted. In 2015, he played minimally. Last year, he was arguably the best player on offense. He caught 58 passes for 857 yards and four touchdowns -- all career highs.

Namath wants Hackenberg to start

With Chan Gailey gone, and new offensive coordinator John Morton in his place, Enunwa hopes things get even better this year.

"Last year, I was almost in a box," Enunwa said. "I wouldn't be able to do the stuff everyone else was doing because we had guys who were capable of doing it. Now, everyone is on a level field. I can go out there and compete and show myself as the H position, and do more."

The real question is who will be throwing Enunwa passes. Josh McCownChristian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty will compete to be the Week 1 starter.

McCown is a soon-to-be 38-year-old who's 2-20 as a starter since 2014. Hackenberg was a second-round pick last year, but didn't play. Petty left much to be desired in six game appearances in 2016, and there are rumors the organization views him as nothing more than a backup.

Enunwa has been working out with all three during the Jets' organized offseason workouts. He said McCown is a bit more athletic than he thought -- citing his 360 dunking ability. As for Hackenberg?

"He has definitely taken a next step," Enunwa said. "He has definitely gotten better. He knows what he has to work on. I'm excited for him to put it together.

"It's hard when we're going against air to really tell what he's doing. But you can tell he has worked hard this offseason."  

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Brain Winters was quoted saying he was eager to step up as a leader too. Seems this is the word of the year..Leadership. Rightfully so.. but is it just talk or is this new generation of Jet players going to be hard working and successful?

i think a good many of these players were frustrated last year and had no shot of stepping up with some of the other personalities on the team.  

I remember specifically reading something last off season about what Bowles wanted from his team. He said he wanted more players to step and become leaders and he would be more hands off. Clearly, no one stepped up and our talent wasn't good enough to pick up that void.

Hopefully Bowles and his new staff can build a cohesive unit that can have us trending upwards. 

Mac and Bowles have been focused on finding good player/leaders for the team, but my main concern is Bowles.  He has the most to prove this year that he can effectively lead despite the win loss column which will most likely not be the litmus test to judge him by.

Brain Winters was quoted saying he was eager to step up as a leader too. Seems this is the word of the year..Leadership. Rightfully so.. but is it just talk or is this new generation of Jet players going to be hard working and successful?

It doesn't hurt but remember all the weird stuff that has gone on here since WJ and the coach carosel?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quincy Enunwa - WR -  Jets

SNY's Ralph Vacchiano suggests Quincy Enunwa could be the Jets' No. 1 receiver this season.

It's contingent on Eric Decker's (shoulder, hip) health, of course, but otherwise Enunwa's target competition consists of a slew of rookies and unproven pass catchers. Enunwa says he felt "limited" by ex-OC Chan Gailey's scheme and expects to play more X receiver this year, in addition to slot duties. Coming off a 58/857/4 breakout season, Enunwa makes for an intriguing late-round pick in best-ball leagues, where he is severely underpriced.

Source: SNY 
May 10 - 11:01 PM

20 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

NFL: Buffalo Bills at New York Jets

NEW YORK --  Quincy Enunwawas about as blunt as he could be back in December. He had just finished cleaning out his locker, one day after the Jets' miserable 5-11 season mercifully came to an end.

The year was supposed to be one that ended with a playoff appearance. Instead, it was filled with drama. The problem was simple, Enunwa said, the Jets never felt like a team.

Apparently, Todd Bowles is trying to change that.

"Coach did a great job doing leadership things for us this year," Enunwa said at the United Way of New York City's Gridiron Gala in Midtown, where he and Giants linebacker Mark Herzlich and were honored for their charitable works. "We did a type of workout that builds character. A group came in and helped us out a little bit.

"That was cool to do. To build leadership and build relationships together. I think this year we're going to be a stronger group."

The Jets roster looks an awful lot different than it did a year ago. General manager Mike Maccagnan purged the team of its aging stars. In their place, young guys like Enunwa, whom the team hopes develop into capable replacements.

And for Enunwa specifically, that could mean expanding his role. As a rookie sixth-round pick in 2014, he essentially redshirted. In 2015, he played minimally. Last year, he was arguably the best player on offense. He caught 58 passes for 857 yards and four touchdowns -- all career highs.

Namath wants Hackenberg to start

With Chan Gailey gone, and new offensive coordinator John Morton in his place, Enunwa hopes things get even better this year.

"Last year, I was almost in a box," Enunwa said. "I wouldn't be able to do the stuff everyone else was doing because we had guys who were capable of doing it. Now, everyone is on a level field. I can go out there and compete and show myself as the H position, and do more."

The real question is who will be throwing Enunwa passes. Josh McCownChristian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty will compete to be the Week 1 starter.

McCown is a soon-to-be 38-year-old who's 2-20 as a starter since 2014. Hackenberg was a second-round pick last year, but didn't play. Petty left much to be desired in six game appearances in 2016, and there are rumors the organization views him as nothing more than a backup.

Enunwa has been working out with all three during the Jets' organized offseason workouts. He said McCown is a bit more athletic than he thought -- citing his 360 dunking ability. As for Hackenberg?

"He has definitely taken a next step," Enunwa said. "He has definitely gotten better. He knows what he has to work on. I'm excited for him to put it together.

"It's hard when we're going against air to really tell what he's doing. But you can tell he has worked hard this offseason."  

gjx1b.jpg

Archived