Decker / Richardson

Sarge4Tide

Opening Day Roster?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eric Decker be on the Jets opening day roster?

• Yes, Definitely
    • Probably
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Probably Not
    • Definitely Not
  2. 2. Will Sheldon Richardson be on the Jets opening day roster?

• Yes, Definitely
    • Probably
    • Neutral / No Opinion
    • Probably Not
    • Definitely Not

Yes to both. Makes no sense to release Decker when you don't even have another starter (Enunwa? On the outside? Give me a break) and no one will pay up for Sheldon. He's more valuable to us than others. 

lol Sheldon is NOT a difference maker...which is why no-one wanted to pony up for him. Jets fans have overrated this loudmouth blowhard for years. Yes he made rookie of the year in one of the worst rookie classes we have seen in quite some time but that was how many years ago? People like to blame Bowles for not using him properly and that's why he has been ineffective because he is on the edge but Mo has been played on the edge and he has been MUCH more productive. Sheldon is a decent player but not anything near the pro-bowl "difference maker" this fan base had made him out to be. I don't even have to mention his possible suspension or locker room disruptive behavior. There are too many reasons to get this guy off the team which is why no-one is jumping through hoops to take him on. He will be here all year and try to be more effective than normal because the selfish bastard wants to get paid. I would lay money on this...he will display a level of effort and production that we have not seen from him in years and we wont hear a peep from that porthole all year.......he doesnt give a damn about being a Jets player and never did. He is exactly the kind of player you need to get rid of. His level of productivity doesnt match the other bullshyt that comes along with it. 

That being said....he will be here ALL SEASON.

Decker isn't going anywhere, it doesn't make sense to get rid of him. He is still productive, the only proven WR we have, any new/young QB that plays is going to need him the same way Geno needed him. This is a new offense, lots of young and inexperienced guys, suspect O-line. If Q will stop with those ill-timed, dropped passes he will grow into some special I believe. This is the first year we will really get to see what he has but without Decker on the team Everyone will double Q and play single coverage on all the young guys. Nobody else on this squad had PROVEN they can beat a double team or press coverage yet.

Decker will be here ALL SEASON. 

19 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

lol Sheldon is NOT a difference maker...which is why no-one wanted to pony up for him. Jets fans have overrated this loudmouth blowhard for years. Yes he made rookie of the year in one of the worst rookie classes we have seen in quite some time but that was how many years ago? People like to blame Bowles for not using him properly and that's why he has been ineffective because he is on the edge but Mo has been played on the edge and he has been MUCH more productive. Sheldon is a decent player but not anything near the pro-bowl "difference maker" this fan base had made him out to be. I don't even have to mention his possible suspension or locker room disruptive behavior. There are too many reasons to get this guy off the team which is why no-one is jumping through hoops to take him on. He will be here all year and try to be more effective than normal because the selfish bastard wants to get paid. I would lay money on this...he will display a level of effort and production that we have not seen from him in years and we wont hear a peep from that porthole all year.......he doesnt give a damn about being a Jets player and never did. He is exactly the kind of player you need to get rid of. His level of productivity doesnt match the other bullshyt that comes along with it. 

Accidentally made the Pro Bowl too I guess.

24 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

What possible suspension are you talking about?   Did something happen that no one knows about but you??

Here's an unpopular opinion but hear me out.... Sheldon is our best defender on the line when he plays with his hand in the dirt, can't we just let him play his position and not have him at a position he isn't a pro bowl caliber player at? Mac messed up signing Wilk back, Should have let him walk and signed Sheldon to the contract because he's a better player

25 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

What possible suspension are you talking about?   Did something happen that no one knows about but you??

are you not aware of the possibilty of a suspension because of his previous drug suspensions? or do you not know the meaning of the word "possible"?

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Oh, I see, like Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, those guys. Yeah, Erik Decker isn't one of those. Luckily, we have tons of em.

Yeah,  Belichik and Patricia don't sleep the week of the Jet game worrying about how they are going to stop Decker. 

2 hours ago, section314 said:

Sheldon, yes. He's an elite player in this league on a team that is starved for talent. Decker, no. He is not a difference maker.Give him credit....he's made a fortune riding D.Thomas's  and B Marshall's coattails.

Richardson has done very little to be proclaimed an "elite player in this league". He is a good player buried in the depth chart by two better players, so he is not even a great backup. Decker should stick around one more season - if healthy - to help mentor the young guys, and there are plenty of them.

36 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Yes,he made the probowl as an alternate and what has he done since? I knew someone would bring that up so I purposely left it out so I could ask this question.

Considering he is still a young guy  I would expect and hope for him to improve especially with contracts coming up.Additionally pro bowl caliber talent must be easy to find I guess.

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Yeah,  Belichik and Patricia don't sleep the week of the Jet game worrying about how they are going to stop Decker. 

Maybe they should have.  Who was it that scored the game winning TD against them in that OT game at the end of 2015 when they were still trying to get home field advantage?  Maybe that had just a little bit to do with them losing in Denver in the playoffs? 

49 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

are you not aware of the possibilty of a suspension because of his previous drug suspensions? or do you not know the meaning of the word "possible"?

Possible means there is a reason.  

Hate in him all you want but you don't have to make stuff up.   It's possible every player on the Jets could fail a drug test and get suspended by your thinking. 

13 minutes ago, sciond said:

Considering he is still a young guy  I would expect and hope for him to improve especially with contracts coming up.Additionally pro bowl caliber talent must be easy to find I guess.

like I said in my original post...he will improve DRAMATICALLY this year...because he wants to get paid...he is not pro bowl caliber if he only made it once as an alternate and never again even came close. He isnt good enough to play ahead of the guys on his own sh*tty arse team. 

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Possible means there is a reason.  

Hate in him all you want but you don't have to make stuff up.   It's possible every player on the Jets could fail a drug test and get suspended by your thinking. 

I dont hate him at all...You like him so you pretend that the chances of him getting a long term suspension this year because he has TWO prior suspensions is the same as every other player with zero suspensions. That is simply not the case. 

28 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Richardson has done very little to be proclaimed an "elite player in this league". He is a good player buried in the depth chart by two better players, so he is not even a great backup. Decker should stick around one more season - if healthy - to help mentor the young guys, and there are plenty of them.

Spending the 7-8 million on Decker just to 'mentor' these pups is absurd. Decker is gone after this year anyways. It's money that can be saved for the following year.  You can sign a vet wr for a quarter that amount and even if you did, you're going to have to put one of here guys on the practice squad instead of giving them game time experience. If you're going to rebuild then do it. Which makes the McGowan signing totally puzzling ?. Some of these guys you're stuck with for another year like Sheldumb and Pryor while others like Deck and Harris can be cut loose now.  Strange rebuild.

4 minutes ago, sciond said:

He has potential and incredible natural talent. He's also a complete moron, drug addict and all around lazy piece of crap that will never actually realize his full potential.  There are lots of reasons why draft picks don't work out.  We get all pissed off when the player gets injured (Milliner) or is so raw and needs years to develop despite having the ability (Ducasse) or flat out just isn't good enough (Geno).  We piss and moan about the coaches, GM and scouts, but when we take a selfish loser with no work ethic or drive or love of the game or just plain old common sense, but we know he has the ability to play at this level, we can't stop making excuses for him in the hopes that he can turn it around.  Bottom line: You can't fix stupid or lazy. Just another case where the scouts/GM should have found out more about the person than the athlete.

1oyv4a.jpg

28 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

Maybe they should have.  Who was it that scored the game winning TD against them in that OT game at the end of 2015 when they were still trying to get home field advantage?  Maybe that had just a little bit to do with them losing in Denver in the playoffs? 

Is that the game that Belichick tried to win so much that he kicked off in the OT? 

13 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Spending the 7-8 million on Decker just to 'mentor' these pups is absurd. Decker is gone after this year anyways. It's money that can be saved for the following year.  You can sign a vet wr for a quarter that amount and even if you did, you're going to have to put one of here guys on the practice squad instead of giving them game time experience. If you're going to rebuild then do it. Which makes the McGowan signing totally puzzling ?. Some of these guys you're stuck with for another year like Sheldumb and Pryor while others like Deck and Harris can be cut loose now.  Strange rebuild.

Harris still has value for this team. Decker has none.

As absurd as bringing Mccowm in for that money.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Decker will still be around because he's still the best of the WRs if he can avoid injury. There aren't better free agents floating around for less. We have a lot of young and unproven guys who might be ready but you can't go into a season blindly without anybody you know can be a 1 or 2.

Richardson will be back. There's no cap savings to cut him so he either has to be played or traded. Few teams will want to take him on the last year of his contract knowing (a) he could walk and (b) he will want a huge contract. Richardson is a good but not elite player but he will want an elite contract. I think Macc would trade him but I don't see many teams finding value in that trade. Maybe if we take peanuts on the deal. In that case we might as well play him this year and hope for a comp pick. 

Decker has to stick around.  Who the hell is going to catch the ball if he leaves?  He is going to get double teamed all day long now that he is our #1.  I think most of us have ranted at some point at the lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball.  The last time Decker was our #1 receiver we won 4 games.  This is why we went after BMarsh in the first place. There is no way we should be going into a season with this WR group.  Enunwa is a hybrid WR/TE without the top end speed of a #1 or #2.  Sure we have young talent, but none of them are ready to take on #1 or #2 duties.  We desperately needed to either draft a WR higher than the 3rd round or we should've gotten a replacement for BMarsh in free agency.  We never did and unfortunately we will pay the price with abysmal WR production this year.  

Too bad our Safeties can't play WR.

3 hours ago, Lil Woody said:

He has potential and incredible natural talent. He's also a complete moron, drug addict and all around lazy piece of crap that will never actually realize his full potential.  There are lots of reasons why draft picks don't work out.  We get all pissed off when the player gets injured (Milliner) or is so raw and needs years to develop despite having the ability (Ducasse) or flat out just isn't good enough (Geno).  We piss and moan about the coaches, GM and scouts, but when we take a selfish loser with no work ethic or drive or love of the game or just plain old common sense, but we know he has the ability to play at this level, we can't stop making excuses for him in the hopes that he can turn it around.  Bottom line: You can't fix stupid or lazy. Just another case where the scouts/GM should have found out more about the person than the athlete.

1oyv4a.jpg

maybe he self repairs..

17 hours ago, section314 said:

Harris still has value for this team. Decker has none.

Wow, talk about disagreeing lol. I would say that the 180-degree, polar opposite is true. The Jets aren't winning anything this year, so the only value a veteran player has - if he's not in the team's long-term future himself - is in helping assess those who might be. Decker could help evaluate the young QBs on the roster. Harris can and will have no such value. 

I'm not even a particular fan of Decker's with his brittleness and his childishness over Fitzpatrick. The reality is he just turned 30 only several weeks ago, and he'll still be starting in this league when a couple of these younger guys are bouncing around as camp fodder and emergency/special teams players. If they're so good & worthy already, let them beat him out. I thought the point was to make players earn playing time, not have it simply handed to them (or that they only have to beat out other nobodies).

Even lacking the optimism of some about our young QBs, I can see the value in giving each (or either) the very best possible chance of on-field success. That does not come by tossing onto the field 1-season starter Enunwa plus a group that collectively doesn't have a dozen starts among them all.  Then if Enunwa gets injured himself, is Robbie Anderson going to be the veteran leader of our WR corps that the rest look up to? I mean, right after serving out (or narrowly escaping) his suspension, of course.

If he's able to play to the point where he is an asset on the field, and not hobbled around with "he's recovering" excuses all season long, then he has value. If he's still injured, then and only then cut him. Harris could go tomorrow for all I care. They never should have re-signed him in the first place.

Probably both will be back 

A healthy Decker, Yes, Definitely - the only experienced WR on the roster, great router runner, team player, etc... an injured Decker could provide cap savings like Mangold

Richardson has top 10 talent and is playing for his next contract (maybe career) I think he is smart enough to understand the implications of his "prove it" year and stay out of trouble at least until he gets paid, plus he provides great insurance for Wilkerson, one more mail in year and the Jets can escape that contract  

If healthy Dekker should be here. He is valuable no matter who the QB is. While Q has played well I am not sold on him being  "the guy" just yet. Dekker will be an asset to whomever is the starter at QB. After he got hurt sh*tz fell apart. Coincidence? While I hated sh*tzpatrick he was even more exposed without Dekker. Do I think he would have made a difference in win-loss last year? Hard to say. Maybe. I do think they need to keep Dekker if healthy and see what plays out. If he excels and the team is horrible they might be able to pick-up a draft pick from a contender before the trade deadline. Just another reason to keep him.

Archived