David Harris says Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

Gas2No99

David Harris says Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

New York Jets report to 2016 training camp

NORTH CALDWELL -- David Harris has heard it, read it. He's well aware the expectations for this year's Jets aren't very high.

How can a team put together a successful season with such quarterback concerns? A talent-deprived defense? An overall young roster with little regarding proven talent?

But Harris has a different outlook for the coming year: Just wait

"I think we're going to surprise some people," he said at his eighth-annual charity golf event on Monday.

This past season was an enormous disappointment for Harris and his teammates. After coming tiebreakers away from snapping a then five-year playoff drought the year before (and with the majority of the roster returning), the Jets finished 2016 5-11. There were reports of locker room turmoil, discord and a severe lack of leadership. Receiver Quincy Enunwa said, rather bluntly, the Jets' team didn't really "feel like a team."

Petty thinks he has legit chance to start

So, this offseason, general manager Mike Maccagnan gutted the roster, releasing many of the team's high-priced aging stars. Center Nick Mangold, cornerback Darrelle Revis, receiver Brandon Marshall and more were handed their walking papers.

Harris, 33, is now one of just six on the roster older than 30. He's the second-oldest behind 37-year-old quarterback Josh McCown.

"You look around, and there are not too many guys who have played more than seven years on the team," Harris said. "I'm the second-oldest guy, which is kind of crazy because I don't look at myself as being one of those old guys. Thank goodness Josh came around [joking].

"It's part of the business -- turnover -- especially when you have a year like we did. You expect it."

Hack not worried about pre-draft QB interest

While many see the Jets' youth, and subsequently label it a negative, Harris believes it can be a positive. Yes, the Jets lack experience, but they're overflowing in potential. If all things come together, it can be a good year.

"We can't worry about what's being said outside the locker room," Harris said. "We're the ones putting the work in every day. We're the ones who have to go out there and step on the field and prove it day in and day out. People can say what they want."

Harris was joined by coach Todd Bowles and several of his teammates at his golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.

Give the Kids Hope Foundation is a charitable organization, which directly benefits underprivileged children in New Jersey. The foundation has set a goal in 2017 to continue its support of providing needed renovations at Camp Hope, where over 2,700 underprivileged children from North Jersey attend at no cost every summer.

Hackenberg's confidence is growing

While Harris joked his golf game hasn't improved much in the years he has been hosting the event, he loves how much it helps those in need.

"It's a good cause to raise money to improve the grounds of the camp in West Milford, and sponsor underprivileged kids to go to some camps for free," Harris said. "It's always a good thing to have this event."

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

It's interesting to see which guys we're keeping on the team, Harris on Defense, Decker and Forte on Offense, all good solid leaders.  These and a few other players are really going to show the younger guys the ropes.  

Decker pushed for Futz last season. That divided the locker room IMO. I would rather develop a younger player that may be here in a few years than have 100+ targets thrown to Decker. 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

No question he was all in Fitz camp, but it was Sheldon and Brandon Marshall that were dividing the locker room. 

BM also pushed for Futz. He and Decker divided the locker room. Sheldon got upset because of the losing. Stop with the fantasy already. Decker is a divisive player here. This year though his power is limited and his mouth has been quiet this year. He should have never played his GM card.

lol you guys..  thanks for the laugh.:D

Well I'll join in.. I'm feeling good..it'll probably change after the 3rd week in but right now I think this team *COULD* spark and surprise people or least confuse other teams coaching against the Jets since it's such a huge overhaul. 

Seriously, you guys think we are as clueless as the ______ ______ Nets?  Really.... we aren't even at the level of dysfunction as the Knicks.  Bowles isn't Bill Walsh but he isn't Kotite either.  And please remind me when Macc pulled off a move as dumb as Billy King was capable of?  We can compare ourselves to losers but not friggin' incompetents.

10 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

BM also pushed for Futz. He and Decker divided the locker room. Sheldon got upset because of the losing. Stop with the fantasy already. Decker is a divisive player here. This year though his power is limited and his mouth has been quiet this year. He should have never played his GM card.

This is so stupid Forrest Gump is shaking his head. 

David Harris says it's 'odd' Jets selected safeties in first 2 rounds of NFL Draft

New York Jets linebacker David Harris meets with reporters as he and other Jets players report for training camp at their Florham Park training facility.  Florham Park, NJ  7/29/15 (Saed Hindash  | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

New York Jets linebacker David Harris meets with reporters as he and other Jets players report for training camp at their Florham Park training facility. Florham Park, NJ 7/29/15 (Saed Hindash | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

NORTH CALDWELL -- David Harris has been around the block a time or two during his seven years in the NFL. Considering his entire career has been spent with the Jets, he has seen quite a bit, too. 

It's hard for someone to do something to catch Harris off guard. But Jets general manager Mike Maccagnan did during the NFL Draft. 

"It's very odd to have two safeties get drafted in the first and second rounds," Harris said at his eighth-annual charity golf event on Monday. "All you can do is trust [the front office's] decision and try to move on." 

The Jets took a rather unconventional approach during the 2017 NFL Draft. They not only selected LSU's Jamal Adams No. 6, but then, 33 picks later, Florida's Marcus Maye. It was the first time in franchise history the team went with safeties -- and also defensive backs -- with its first two draft picks. 

Harris said he expected the Jets to draft one, the team "surprised everybody" when they doubled down. Then again, it's hard to say the Jets don't need both Adams and Maye.

The secondary was horrific in 2016, and a big reason the Jets limped to a 5-11 finish. The unit allowed 52 pass plays of 20-plus yards (14th most in NFL) and 13 of 40-plus (3rd most). They allowed 30 passing touchdowns (6th most) and intercepted just eight passes (second fewest). 

Harris: Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist were the starters most of the season. Pryor endured arguably his worst season as a pro, as he failed to intercept a pass or a sack. Gilchrist tore his patellar tendon in December. He would have started the season on the physically unable to perform list, so the Jets released him, citing a need for a roster spot. 

It seems highly likely the Jets start both Adams and Maye Week 1, barring injury. 

"It's feasible, yes," coach Todd Bowles said during rookie minicamp. "They're good football players. Obviously, if they learn it and they earn it, they'll start at safety... I can't recall when, but I've seen a bunch of rookies play."

Jets veterans and rookies got together for the first time during organized offseason workouts this week. They'll practice together for the first when the Jets begin organized team activities on May 23rd. 

While Maye is still rehabbing from a broken arm suffered in college, Harris came away impressed during his initial meeting with Adams. 

"Very professional," Harris said. "Just the way he carries himself. I noticed that right away [Monday]. The way he goes about himself. He works hard. You can see him. He's not quiet, but he gets it. He gets it. He gets it." 

Harris was joined by Bowles and several of his teammates at his golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.

Give the Kids Hope Foundation is a charitable organization, which directly benefits underprivileged children in New Jersey. The foundation has set a goal in 2017 to continue its support of providing needed renovations at Camp Hope, where over 2,700 underprivileged children from North Jersey attend at no cost every summer.

While Harris joked his golf game hasn't improved much in the years he has been hosting the event, he loves how much it helps those in need.

"It's a good cause to raise money to improve the grounds of the camp in West Milford, and sponsor underprivileged kids to go to some camps for free," Harris said. "It's always a good thing to have this event."

10 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Decker pushed for Futz last season. That divided the locker room IMO. I would rather develop a younger player that may be here in a few years than have 100+ targets thrown to Decker. 

I see so Decker 'pushed for Fitz'. Did it occur to you that the whole organization pushed for Fitz as well. Geno was an afterthought, Petty wasn't ready and Hack was redshirted so you're left with Fitz.  Challenging but work hard. You can do it. 

2 minutes ago, Powpow said:

I see so Decker 'pushed for Fitz'. Did it occur to you that the whole organization pushed for Fitz as well. Geno was an afterthought, Petty wasn't ready and Hack was redshirted so you're left with Fitz.  Challenging but work hard. You can do it. 

You are an idiot. How could the locker be divided yet the whole organization "pushed for Futz"? 

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

You wish you could be 1/10 as stupid as me. You are always trolling. Clearly you have a fetish for Marines

You are now entering the abyss of Joewillie12 territory. Tread carefully, you may never recover. 

3 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

You are an idiot. How could the locker be divided yet the whole organization "pushed for Futz"? 

Well douchebag let me elucidate the situation for your feeble minded single cell ameba brain. All the 'leaders' like Mangold, Decker, Marshall rallied around Fitz. No one wanted Geno or 'pushed' for him to start. Bowles and Mac totally endorsed Fitz. Saying Decker and Marshall divided the locker room for Fitz over Geno is asinine. It's Bowles job to maintain unity in the locker room despite the losing. If there was division in the locker room it wasn't caused by Marsh or Decker. Losing breeds contempt. Bowles was primarily responsible for losing the locker room ala Rex. 

Ahh the offseason where every team is going to surprise and every player feels they have improved. I just read something where "Bortles has improved, no doubt about it!"

Off season optimism is wonderful. Right up until Jets go 3 and out and the boo birds come out. 

48 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Well douchebag let me elucidate the situation for your feeble minded single cell ameba brain. All the 'leaders' like Mangold, Decker, Marshall rallied around Fitz. No one wanted Geno or 'pushed' for him to start. Bowles and Mac totally endorsed Fitz. Saying Decker and Marshall divided the locker room for Fitz over Geno is asinine. It's Bowles job to maintain unity in the locker room despite the losing. If there was division in the locker room it wasn't caused by Marsh or Decker. Losing breeds contempt. Bowles was primarily responsible for losing the locker room ala Rex. 

Your mind is a clusterfcuk

Archived