Fox vs. Ball

HessStation

7 hours ago, HessStation said:

I'll bet you $50 he or and the team who drafts him implodes and the whole thing is a mess by year 4 and no championships. That after year 4, at least 2 other PGs in this draft will be considered better NBA point guards. Not real money but like pretend money. lol. 

I originally thought it was all just an act and he wasn't going to be that big of a deal during the season, but watching him shill throughout this draft process is unprecedented. You have to wonder how much he's going to be bitching about contractual sh*t every offseason, or teammates, or the coach, or the GM. The Lakers are still a long way away and the West is going to be tough as hell for the next half decade, and while I'm sure Lonzo is a great kid and has everything to be a great player, we live in an age where the senior is going to cause nothing but stupid headlines; the self-reinforcing kind that can engulf pre and post game stuff every day. I have to now wonder how that is going to play out in a place like LA. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I originally thought it was all just an act and he wasn't going to be that big of a deal during the season, but watching him shill throughout this draft process is unprecedented. You have to wonder how much he's going to be bitching about contractual sh*t every offseason, or teammates, or the coach, or the GM. The Lakers are still a long way away and the West is going to be tough as hell for the next half decade, and while I'm sure Lonzo is a great kid and has everything to be a great player, we live in an age where the senior is going to cause nothing but stupid headlines; the self-reinforcing kind that can engulf pre and post game stuff every day. I have to now wonder how that is going to play out in a place like LA. 

Soap box, sorry. But the dad is a good example of why it's hard for me to stomach anything sports media related these days, and I don't think the blame even lies, solely with the dad. He's not the first crazy parent to ever have an all world talent kid, but the way the media is thrusting him to the spotlight, is really hard for me to stomach. There's this formula now, that you can do and/or say anything and get away with it, because there's the view from Host 1 and then the opposing view from Host 2, 3 or 4. It's not even real opinions anymore, you can actually see the smirk on Max Kellerman's face etc...it's viewpoint and counter viewpoint, pre-created and discussed to purposely senstionalize every topic. Same thing for the Kardashian popularity and hatred. Do or say something ridiculous for attention, then Opposing views = drama = good ratings or sales for the paper. So this guy can say anything and have at least half the press and/or ESPN back him...instead of ignoring him bc he's not good for the kid, he's not good for the sport, not good for anything but himself in the public eye. He's only going to manifest into a bigger and bigger axis of drama creation by the media for however long the kid is in the league. It's depressing to me bc the kid is so good and doesn't deserve it...and will/could probably end up a head case for it. 

5 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Exactly.  Jeanie, Magic and Walton are going to have to answer questions either weekly or even daily about Lavar Ball's complaints while Lonzo goes through his rookie ups and downs.  These are headaches that Lakers don't need as they rebuild.  Lonzo is not quantumly better than Fox.  If I'm the Lakers, I take Fox to play alongside Russell and they'd have a back court at least on par with Portland.  Now they just have to see how Ingram develops.

Lonzo isn't the guaranteed, can't miss franchise prospect which the headaches are considered the cost of doing business.

Lastly, this cannot be overlooked:  when Lavar is telling Lonzo that he is already the best thing in the world, what is Lonzo's motivation to be the best?  Where is the source of that drive?  We've seen that drive from Fox which gives him a chance to be great.  All the best players have that.  Does Lonzo?  

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Is the dad really now rocking a shirt with the line that he said to what's her face on it? While coaching kids rec? Holy **** is that dude insane. 

He just wants attention and he knows he will get it.  ESPN is now the Levar Ball channel

• 11 months later...

Archived