ESPN reshuffles "talent" - New MNF w/Rex and a chick

Gas2No99

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2017 at 11:30 PM, win4ever said:

I honestly don't mind Rex in the booth.  Yeah, he's going to be partial to some of "his guys" but I'd rather get a coach in there that actually knows what he is talking about than some guy who uses fancy words to frame a play.  That's why I like Gruden because he can see things going on in a game that someone else might now and actually relay it.  Unless I'm going blind, I don't really need play by play on ESPN, so I'd rather get some insight as to what each team might be doing or how X, Y, Z scheme is working.   

I haven't heard the lady do a show so I'll refrain from commenting on her work.  Although I hope it's better than ESPN's attempt at a lady broadcaster in MLB.  She was horrible, and did stupid things like "Here's a tour of Joe Maddon's RV" during the Yankees/Cubs game, or complain about the game going into extra innings.  

Rex Ryan is a coach and he has a sense of humor.  I'm looking forward to seeing how he does because I think he's actually made for TV.  

I actually think he could be this generations John Madden in the booth.

Madden was perceived as a nut, Al Davis' puppet, and became the 1/2 the best announcer duo of my life.   Summerall and Madden in the 80s and 90s were great.

On 5/16/2017 at 0:32 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No one cares. People just care if the announcers are good or bad. Jessica Mendoza does Sunday night baseball and is great. She was great when she did the College World Series. 

I watched the first Sunday night game this year and thought 'Oh, so now they have a woman instead of a former player babbling on about nothing during every second of non-play'.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

I actually think he could be this generations John Madden in the booth.

Madden was perceived as a nut, Al Davis' puppet, and became the 1/2 the best announcer duo of my life.   Summerall and Madden in the 80s and 90s were great.

I wasn't a big fan of Madden mainly because by the time that I started to pay attention to games (late 90's onward), he was past his prime.  It didn't help that I kept hearing him in Madden games to the point of over-exposure.  However, he did really pave the way for announcers because he knew the game, knew what a team was doing, and could actually dissect a play right after it happened.  Anyone can dissect it after it happens with various camera angles, but he could do it in real time and notice things that many couldn't.  

I think Rex can do that on defense, discuss what a team is doing and how they are setting things up or doing things wrong.  And he's genuinely funny.  I see on the spot humor as the best form of comedy, taking situations that are unpredictable and turning them into comedy.  I've been to a bunch of stand up comedy stuff over the past few years, and someone like Bill Burr or Russel Peters could really pull it off.  They could take anything going on in the crowd and just turn it funny.  I noticed similar traits with Rex in those post-game interviews where he would take questions and turn them into being funny.  Now I don't know how much ESPN is going to curtail his humor but I think he'd be a very good announcer.  I would love to see a Rex-Gruden tandem in the future.  Those two together, with a random play by play guy calling out the plays would work exceptional IMO.  

My main concern is, how is ESPN going to screw it up?  

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

I watched the first Sunday night game this year and thought 'Oh, so now they have a woman instead of a former player babbling on about nothing during every second of non-play'.

I though Jessica Mendoza was horrible in the Cubs-Yankees Sunday night game.  But it's not because she's a woman, I think a lot of these announcers are horrible, especially the Yankee radio broadcast.  Pretty sure Sterling is blind, and Waldman isn't too far behind.  And Kay sucks.  The Harold Reynolds, John Kruk team was basically muted on my TV every time.  

Baseball needs to embrace saber metrics, which is why I actually enjoy David Cone on Yankees broadcast.  He tries to introduce the stuff but it feels like he's introducing it every game, instead of going deeper into it.  I care more about spin rate than "the ball jumps out of his hand", or exit velocity instead of "it just sounds different off the bat".   A lot of announcers don't take advantage of the stats available, and it bothers me because it holds back knowledge from people who could understand it better.  

Football needs to do the same thing too, I would love to hear velocity readings on throws, or how fast a receiver ran down the field.  It not only helps you understand how the game works, but it really helps finding out the strengths and weaknesses of a player.  For example, everyone loves Amari Cooper because he keeps most of his speed through his cuts, which allows for separation.  I would love to find players similar to him, that might not be that well known with similar traits. 

Archived