Gas2No99

Potential lineups for Jets: What could defense look like?

36 posts in this topic

I remember reading he basically used 2 down lineman a lot in Az due to what he had in talent. Campbell and Dockett.

On May 17, 2017 at 0:17 AM, jeremy2020 said:

ya know..everyone seems to be penciling in Maye and Adams as both being great...it is kinda rare for both the 1st and 2nd round picks to pan out as starters let alone be great. We see them in every article as every down starters from day one. The odds seems to be against that.

I don't think it has anything to do with being first and second round picks, but there is a reason teams rarely start two rookie safeties.( as good as both could eventually become , they are going to experience some  growing pains next season. ). For that reason I would expect Adams and Pryor to be the Jets starting safeties.

Kind of concerned for our LB core, Harris is slow as hell and Mauldin and Jenkins setting the edge?  Let's hope Greene can coach them up.  I at least expect Lee to improve.

2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Kind of concerned for our LB core, Harris is slow as hell and Mauldin and Jenkins setting the edge?  Let's hope Greene can coach them up.  I at least expect Lee to improve.

Everyone seems to have high expectations for Kevin Greene.  Maybe he will be good but Mike Singletary was a HOFer but not a successful HC.

16 hours ago, rangerous said:

huh? starting skrine at corner?  maybe at slot.  i'm not a skrine hater but the guy is a little short and got far too many pass int penalties.  they should start burris, robert or williams.

Yeah, I agree. I think the only reason he is put there right now is b/c that was his spot last year. Skrine needs to be in the slot with Burris on the outside across from Claiborne. I think he will make that next step and earn the #2 spot. I think Adams will make an immediate impact. If Maye turns out to be solid starter, with Burris and Claiborne on the outside, Skrine in the slot and Roberts/Wiliams coming in on Dime packages and serving as depth I think this could be a solid young secondary for the Jets. Much improved from last year. 

The Jets will still need to improve upon their pass rush to stop defenses on third down.  

This is word vomit. The problem is that there's nothing interesting about what is actually complicated and hard and matters, which is just keeping eleven moving parts on message for seven seconds. So you get all this nonsense about formations and playcalling because giving people jargon to fling around is always gonna sell better than talking about how coaches plow a hundred man-hours into eliminating four penalties.

Pryor can't play $LB he's 5'11"

On 5/17/2017 at 2:32 PM, detectivekimble said:

I don't know.  No edge rusher and the LBs, outside of Lee, are slow.

+1

People see we have more (higher-talent) DLmen than LBers, and then incorrectly conclude that means we should therefore play more DLmen than LBers. 

The problem, as you outline, is that none of them are real edge rushers. So in our front 7 we'd be lining up 4 DTs and 2 LBers with 4.8 and slower speed. Swapping a LB for a DT makes the defense faster and means our (mostly slow) LBers need to cover less ground from sideline to sideline. Or anyway, it would if our LBers ran noticeably faster than DTs.

The "big 3" on the DL may all be super-talented guys individually, but they don't all belong on the field at the same time (unless it's an obvious running down).

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The "big 3" on the DL may all be super-talented guys individually, but they don't all belong on the field at the same time (unless it's an obvious running down).

This is comically wrong. They're our three best players.

On 5/19/2017 at 5:23 PM, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

This is comically wrong. They're our three best players.

That they might be. But if we had Rodgers and Brady they'd be our 2 best players and still wouldn't belong on the field at the same time. 

An all-DT line is a slow line, even if they're all individually talented. 

On 5/18/2017 at 5:48 AM, pdxgreen said:

I expect Greene to lose his voice halfway through training camp. It's a good excuse why they'll suck.