Jump to content
Gas2No99

Potential lineups for Jets: What could defense look like?

Recommended Posts

 

Potential lineups for Jets: What could defense look like?

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media

What could the Jets defense look like this coming season? Here are a few of the variations which include Sheldon Richardson and Calvin Pryor on the field withJamal Adams, Marcus MayeLeonard Williams and Muhammad Wilkerson

 
mauldin 
 
 
Multiple variations

Todd Bowles is a coach heralded for his versatility:lol:. One of the big reasons the Jets hired him was for his ability to build schemes around the players at his disposal. 

The Jets roster has its deficiencies, no doubt, but also several talented players. In what ways will Bowles line them up this coming season? 

Here are a few predictions. 

 
 
BASE 3-4 DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB), Jordan Jenkins (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Jamal Adams (SS), Marcus Maye (FS)

ANALYSIS: Some changes from last year's team, specifically at the safety and cornerback position. Jets coach Todd Bowles likes to run a variety of fronts, but expect the Jets to go with a base 3-4 the majority of the time. 

 
4-3 DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Leonard Williams (DT), Steve McLendon (DT), Sheldon Richardson (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Darron Lee (WLB), David Harris (ILB), Jordan Jenkins (SAM)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: Last year, depending on the opponent, the Jets trotted out a 4-3 defense. Expect them to do more of the same this coming season. Steve McLendon will likely come in for Deon Simon. McLendon has a bit more versatility as a defensive tackle. 

 
NICKEL DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: The Jets like the versatility of Buster Skrine. He's best suited in the slot, which is where he'll play in the nickel package. Juston Burris should come in as the outside corner in this situation, but he could be jumped on the depth chart by Darryl Roberts. (the Forgotten CB on the depth chart, not very durable w/constant minor nicks, but has made sporadic plays)

In passing situations, look for Williams to move to nose tackle, and Richardson to check in at defensive end. Williams played some nose last year and dominated interior offensive linemen. 

 
3 SAFETY PACKAGE (NICKEL)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Darron Lee (ILB), David Harris (ILB), Calvin Pryor (Money LB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: Todd Bowles designed the money linebacker position brilliantly executed by Deon Bucannon in Arizona. If he believes Pryor can play the position, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets run a ton of 3-safety formations. Pryor would slide in and replace Lorenzo Mauldin. 

 
 
3 SAFETY PACKAGE (BASE)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB), Calvin Pryor (Money LB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: This package would give the Jets a bit more athleticism. Pryor would essentially replace Jordan Jenkins as a standup, roaming linebacker. 

 
PASS RUSHING (1) 

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Steve McLendon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Sheldon Richardson (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: McLendon gives the Jets a bit more versatility as a pass rusher than Simon. Richardson checks in on the outside for Jordan Jenkins, who's more of a run stuffer. Darron Lee is off the field in this situation:blink:. Throughout his career, David Harris has been a very good blitzing linebacker. 

 
 
 
PASS RUSHING (2)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Leonard Williams (NT), Sheldon Richardson (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Dylan Donahue (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: This package may or may not be used. It all depends on the progression and development of rookie outside linebacker Dylan Donahue. If he comes along faster than expected, the Jets could look to work him in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

ya know..everyone seems to be penciling in Maye and Adams as both being great...it is kinda rare for both the 1st and 2nd round picks to pan out as starters let alone be great. We see them in every article as every down starters from day one. The odds seems to be against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just dont see us being that good on defense. Despite the years of defensive picks we just are just not talent rich  I think our defensive ceiling is like middle of the road, but unless we get some offense our defense will be on the field so much that it will likely be bottom third.

I still believe the JAG potential of 2 safeties is just huge.

I have been thinking lately that the way to build a defense might no longer be inside out, but building around players that can take slot receivers and TEs out of the game. I see none of that on this team. Just images of Harris and Lee and Pryor trailing these guys as they rack up the yards.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

ya know..everyone seems to be penciling in Maye and Adams as both being great...it is kinda rare for both the 1st and 2nd round picks to pan out as starters let alone be great. We see them in every article as every down starters from day one. The odds seems to be against that.

Adams will have a Landon Collins like impact, but offenses will focus on the CB away from Claiborne, Maye and Skrine. 

Maye will look good sometimes, not so good other times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing I see wrong with every single package is the name David Harris . The guy hasn't been a 3 downs linebacker in years and these schemes has him in every alignment of the defense . 

Other than that, I see the comic relief has made it's way to yet another thread .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I just dont see us being that good on defense. Despite the years of defensive picks we just are just not talent rich  I think our defensive ceiling is like middle of the road, but unless we get some offense our defense will be on the field so much that it will likely be bottom third.

I still believe the JAG potential of 2 safeties is just huge.

I have been thinking lately that the way to build a defense might no longer be inside out, but building around players that can take slot receivers and TEs out of the game. I see none of that on this team. Just images of Harris and Lee and Pryor trailing these guys as they rack up the yards.

 

 

Have you actually watched Jamal Adams play?  Here are his snap stats from last season:  41% of his snaps at free safety, 31% at cornerback, and 11% as a strong safety (or box safety).  Those are numbers of a player who will be able to come down towards the LOS (NOT IN THE "BOX") and be able to cover a TE or WR, while at the same time not being a liability in run support like marcus williams or skrine is.   

Really cant understand people questioning the Adams pick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I just dont see us being that good on defense. Despite the years of defensive picks we just are just not talent rich  I think our defensive ceiling is like middle of the road, but unless we get some offense our defense will be on the field so much that it will likely be bottom third.

I still believe the JAG potential of 2 safeties is just huge.

I have been thinking lately that the way to build a defense might no longer be inside out, but building around players that can take slot receivers and TEs out of the game. I see none of that on this team. Just images of Harris and Lee and Pryor trailing these guys as they rack up the yards.

 

 

If you believe that building a defense involves finding a way to beat slot guys and tight ends then this team is being built for that. Especially with Adams and May being drafted. In theory that's what they and Darron Lee will do, that being said Lee needs to improve in the "head turning, omg he looks like Kyle Wilson" department.

The biggest flaw in this article is the idea that Mauldin will play over Jenkins. Jenkins is more versatile, he's bigger, faster, more athletic and graded out well in pass coverage last year. There is little chance he comes out in sub packages in favor of Mauldin unless it's a strict pass rush scenario and even then it might be Pryor or Lee that sits. Harris is a great blitzer so he should stick around but he should never drop back in coverage when a team goes 4 wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way for us to get Adams, Maye, Pryor, Rontez Miles, Doug Middleton, and Ronald Martin on the field all at once? That would be the best defense ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think our personnel fits the 4-3 better.

Also in all defenses from nickel on, why not put Richardson in the interior line, like the Giants used to do with all their DE, instead of sitting him or having him OLB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, varjet said:

Adams will have a Landon Collins like impact, but offenses will focus on the CB away from Claiborne, Maye and Skrine. 

Maye will look good sometimes, not so good other times.

You say these things, but the draft odds of players being starters don't make it seem likely. The odds say that one of these players will not be the player people expect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the Jets using a combination of Mo, Sheldon, Leo, Lee, Harris, Pryor, Maye, Adams, Claiborne, Skrine, and Burris as much as possible especially against pass heavy spread you out offenses.

And like past history we will watch Harris, and Pryor get burned for 6 yard outs on 3rd, and 5 all day as Lee, and Skrine blitzes don't get home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it will look like eleven disinterested men jogging in the general direction of a streaking Julian Edelman.

And slow and slower.  The only guy in the front seven who can run is Lee.  The front 7 is built for like 1980s football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Think our personnel fits the 4-3 better.

Also in all defenses from nickel on, why not put Richardson in the interior line, like the Giants used to do with all their DE, instead of sitting him or having him OLB

I don't know.  No edge rusher and the LBs, outside of Lee, are slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't read any of this... I'm going to assume that it's some sort of historically thematic mish-mash of the Jets implementing a 3-4 scheme but perpetually missing that key 1-2 players that makes the whole thing work, or in short "without players that fit the system", on a roster that has anywhere between 4-8 first and second round picks starting on defense, but is incapable of categorically ranking in the top 5 of any positive defensive category.

Sound about right? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

 

Potential lineups for Jets: What could defense look like?

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media

What could the Jets defense look like this coming season? Here are a few of the variations which include Sheldon Richardson and Calvin Pryor on the field withJamal Adams, Marcus MayeLeonard Williams and Muhammad Wilkerson

 
mauldin 
 
 
Multiple variations

Todd Bowles is a coach heralded for his versatility:lol:. One of the big reasons the Jets hired him was for his ability to build schemes around the players at his disposal. 

The Jets roster has its deficiencies, no doubt, but also several talented players. In what ways will Bowles line them up this coming season? 

Here are a few predictions. 

 
 
BASE 3-4 DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB), Jordan Jenkins (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Jamal Adams (SS), Marcus Maye (FS)

ANALYSIS: Some changes from last year's team, specifically at the safety and cornerback position. Jets coach Todd Bowles likes to run a variety of fronts, but expect the Jets to go with a base 3-4 the majority of the time. 

 
4-3 DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Leonard Williams (DT), Steve McLendon (DT), Sheldon Richardson (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Darron Lee (WLB), David Harris (ILB), Jordan Jenkins (SAM)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: Last year, depending on the opponent, the Jets trotted out a 4-3 defense. Expect them to do more of the same this coming season. Steve McLendon will likely come in for Deon Simon. McLendon has a bit more versatility as a defensive tackle. 

 
NICKEL DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: The Jets like the versatility of Buster Skrine. He's best suited in the slot, which is where he'll play in the nickel package. Juston Burris should come in as the outside corner in this situation, but he could be jumped on the depth chart by Darryl Roberts. (the Forgotten CB on the depth chart, not very durable w/constant minor nicks, but has made sporadic plays)

In passing situations, look for Williams to move to nose tackle, and Richardson to check in at defensive end. Williams played some nose last year and dominated interior offensive linemen. 

 
3 SAFETY PACKAGE (NICKEL)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Darron Lee (ILB), David Harris (ILB), Calvin Pryor (Money LB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: Todd Bowles designed the money linebacker position brilliantly executed by Deon Bucannon in Arizona. If he believes Pryor can play the position, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Jets run a ton of 3-safety formations. Pryor would slide in and replace Lorenzo Mauldin. 

 
 
3 SAFETY PACKAGE (BASE)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Deon Simon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Darron Lee (ILB), Calvin Pryor (Money LB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: This package would give the Jets a bit more athleticism. Pryor would essentially replace Jordan Jenkins as a standup, roaming linebacker. 

 
PASS RUSHING (1) 

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Steve McLendon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Sheldon Richardson (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: McLendon gives the Jets a bit more versatility as a pass rusher than Simon. Richardson checks in on the outside for Jordan Jenkins, who's more of a run stuffer. Darron Lee is off the field in this situation:blink:. Throughout his career, David Harris has been a very good blitzing linebacker. 

 
 
 
PASS RUSHING (2)

DEFENSIVE LINE: Muhammad Wilkerson (DE), Leonard Williams (NT), Sheldon Richardson (DE)
LINEBACKERS: Lorenzo Mauldin (OLB), David Harris (ILB), Dylan Donahue (OLB)
CORNERBACKS: Morris Claiborne (CB), Buster Skrine (SCB), Juston Burris (CB)
SAFETIES: Marcus Maye (FS), Jamal Adams (SS)

ANALYSIS: This package may or may not be used. It all depends on the progression and development of rookie outside linebacker Dylan Donahue. If he comes along faster than expected, the Jets could look to work him in. 

huh? starting skrine at corner?  maybe at slot.  i'm not a skrine hater but the guy is a little short and got far too many pass int penalties.  they should start burris, robert or williams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd much rather Skrine be the slot corner and Burris or Darryl Roberts (is he still with the team?) playing #2. Don't worry, Skrine will get the spot back when Claiborne suffers his annual season-ending injury. I still think they can make good use of Calvin Pryor in run defense/blitzing schemes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think it will look like eleven disinterested men jogging in the general direction of a streaking Julian Edelman.

I dont think eleven will be moving in that direction.....   maybe 3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I haven't read any of this... I'm going to assume that it's some sort of historically thematic mish-mash of the Jets implementing a 3-4 scheme but perpetually missing that key 1-2 players that makes the whole thing work, or in short "without players that fit the system", on a roster that has anywhere between 4-8 first and second round picks starting on defense, but is incapable of categorically ranking in the top 5 of any positive defensive category.

Sound about right? 

 

You couldn't be anymore wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure everyone he's got listed on the defensive line in the 4-3 should be a defensive tackle in a typical 4-3 defense. I get trying to squeeze three in, but not all four. Hard to take anything seriously after reading that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gas2No99 said:

You couldn't be anymore wrong. 

You'll realize I'm right in about 3 years. That seems to be the yutz learning curve here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On May 17, 2017 at 0:17 AM, jeremy2020 said:

ya know..everyone seems to be penciling in Maye and Adams as both being great...it is kinda rare for both the 1st and 2nd round picks to pan out as starters let alone be great. We see them in every article as every down starters from day one. The odds seems to be against that.

I don't think it has anything to do with being first and second round picks, but there is a reason teams rarely start two rookie safeties.( as good as both could eventually become , they are going to experience some  growing pains next season. ). For that reason I would expect Adams and Pryor to be the Jets starting safeties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of concerned for our LB core, Harris is slow as hell and Mauldin and Jenkins setting the edge?  Let's hope Greene can coach them up.  I at least expect Lee to improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

Kind of concerned for our LB core, Harris is slow as hell and Mauldin and Jenkins setting the edge?  Let's hope Greene can coach them up.  I at least expect Lee to improve.

Everyone seems to have high expectations for Kevin Greene.  Maybe he will be good but Mike Singletary was a HOFer but not a successful HC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rangerous said:

huh? starting skrine at corner?  maybe at slot.  i'm not a skrine hater but the guy is a little short and got far too many pass int penalties.  they should start burris, robert or williams.

Yeah, I agree. I think the only reason he is put there right now is b/c that was his spot last year. Skrine needs to be in the slot with Burris on the outside across from Claiborne. I think he will make that next step and earn the #2 spot. I think Adams will make an immediate impact. If Maye turns out to be solid starter, with Burris and Claiborne on the outside, Skrine in the slot and Roberts/Wiliams coming in on Dime packages and serving as depth I think this could be a solid young secondary for the Jets. Much improved from last year. 

The Jets will still need to improve upon their pass rush to stop defenses on third down.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×