Matt Forte says Jets don't want repeat of locker room issues

Gas2No99

Let's see how Bowles handles the locker room when the L's start to stack up.

Even if we are bad, I want to see some fight. I don't want to see them mail it in like last year. That's on the H.C, and the main reason I wanted Bowles fired.

On 5/17/2017 at 5:13 PM, predator_05 said:

I think he delegated responsibility to senior players. Hard to revive a losing team though.

I have always believed that 'team spirit' is an illusion seen in the aftermath of victory.

A real Head Coach NEVER delegates anything to a player that's what coordinators and position coaches are for

On 5/17/2017 at 10:33 PM, joewilly12 said:

1 bad year?  Any year you don't make the playoffs is a bad year. 

Okay good. Now that we have that precedent set, are you going to whine and cry like this when a new coach comes in and misses the playoffs years 1 & 2 if Bowles gets canned???

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

A real Head Coach NEVER delegates anything to a player that's what coordinators and position coaches are for

Didn't you hear?  Jamal Adams is about to become our defensive coordinator as well as Strong Safety

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Let's see how Bowles handles the locker room when the L's start to stack up.

Gotta a funny feeling somehow the lockerroom will continue to be toxic next year even without Marshall

Here is just a thought. Maybe having the head coach, in January, tell the papers that he was going to hand the starting job to an unsigned Ryan Fitzpatrick was really stupid. It led to five months of the GM getting jerked off by Fitzpatrick, and to your alleged corps of veteran leaders (many of whom were thrown out of prior locker rooms--including Decker) staging little protests during camp, to which the coach not only didn't respond but seemed to applaud. And maybe seeing the coach not do sh*t in response to the "leaders" on the team giving the team the finger was the last straw in allowing the younger players on the team to identify Bowles as toothless. This, of course, was also something Bowles did by bringing in Cromartie for 7mil when he was on the street, then starting him week in and week out even though he was getting thrashed--not only because he was toast--but also because (as Bowles himself said) he wasn't using the right "technique," meaning Cro was out there playing like he was semi-retired and didn't give a ****. So Bowles treating washed-up vets like Cromartie, and then Revis and Fitzpatrick, with kid gloves is witnessed by other, established vets like Marshall and Decker who start to take their own liberties, which is witnessed by younger vets like Mo and Sheldon, who realize it's a free for all, which then infects guys like Calvin Pryor and Darron Lee, who both looked like they had never played a game of football before in their lives.

In sum, the "problems in the locker room" have been building since Bowles walked into that locker room for the first time, and what you saw last year was the end result of the players realizing exactly how soft Bowles was and how little they needed to give a sh*t and still get paid. The bad news is this: once the players know you're emasculated, you can't get their respect back--they know you're a phony. Bowles can draft all the "leaders" he wants, and he can hire a bunch of out-of-work coaches that like to scream and yell, but ultimately the players know that the head man is a poof, so it's only a matter of time until the bough breaks.

For kicks, even if you hate Parcells, imagine what Parcells would have done to Cromartie, or Marshall, or Fitz when Fitzpatrick complained about "respect," or what Parcells would do to Mo and Sheldon. Think about what Belichick would do to those guys.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Here is just a thought. Maybe having the head coach, in January, tell the papers that he was going to hand the starting job to an unsigned Ryan Fitzpatrick was really stupid. It led to five months of the GM getting jerked off by Fitzpatrick, and to your alleged corps of veteran leaders (many of whom were thrown out of prior locker rooms--including Decker) staging little protests during camp, to which the coach not only didn't respond but seemed to applaud. And maybe seeing the coach not do sh*t in response to the "leaders" on the team giving the team the finger was the last straw in allowing the younger players on the team to identify Bowles as toothless. This, of course, was also something Bowles did by bringing in Cromartie for 7mil when he was on the street, then starting him week in and week out even though he was getting thrashed--not only because he was toast--but also because (as Bowles himself said) he wasn't using the right "technique," meaning Cro was out there playing like he was semi-retired and didn't give a ****. So Bowles treating washed-up vets like Cromartie, and then Revis and Fitzpatrick, with kid gloves is witnessed by other, established vets like Marshall and Decker who start to take their own liberties, which is witnessed by younger vets like Mo and Sheldon, who realize it's a free for all, which then infects guys like Calvin Pryor and Darron Lee, who both looked like they had never played a game of football before in their lives.

In sum, the "problems in the locker room" have been building since Bowles walked into that locker room for the first time, and what you saw last year was the end result of the players realizing exactly how soft Bowles was and how little they needed to give a sh*t and still get paid. The bad news is this: once the players know you're emasculated, you can't get their respect back--they know you're a phony. Bowles can draft all the "leaders" he wants, and he can hire a bunch of out-of-work coaches that like to scream and yell, but ultimately the players know that the head man is a poof, so it's only a matter of time until the bough breaks.

For kicks, even if you hate Parcells, imagine what Parcells would have done to Cromartie, or Marshall, or Fitz when Fitzpatrick complained about "respect," or what Parcells would do to Mo and Sheldon. Think about what Belichick would do to those guys.

Bowles is totally inept.  It's incredible he survived and got a third year most other franchises would have fired him

On 5/19/2017 at 7:00 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Matt Forte says "He'd rather see Josh McCown start from an analyst perspective". 

The sad thing is, he's been a teammate of Hack and Petty last year and was a teammate with McCown a couple years back. 

By the end of camp, the team is going to make Josh McCown sound like the second coming of Joe Montana. He's the same dude that got Gary Barnidge and Travis Benjamin paid huge. Dude is better than Fitzpatrick, and this team treated Fitzpatrick better than Namath.

13 minutes ago, thadude said:

Bowles is totally inept.  It's incredible he survived and got a third year most other franchises would have fired him

The problem the Jets have is that nobody is going to take the job after they fire Bowles. 

On 5/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

What was the feud between Sheldon and Marshall about?  Is that old news?  I haven't seen anything on that, and although it's not surprising, I'd like to know more.

This is what it was: 

Brandon Marshall: "You're all weak-ass bitches."

Sheldon: "I'd like to believe you, but you've been thrown off of every team in the league and last week you kicked Petty's dog to death because you only caught one pass."

BM: "Well stated, good sir. Do you know anyone that can get me a good price on off-brand lithium?"

SR: "Do I? Let's not be coy, my friend. Step into my locker."

:Todd Bowles, previously looking on stoically, dives into laundry bin:

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

By the end of camp, the team is going to make Josh McCown sound like the second coming of Joe Montana. He's the same dude that got Gary Barnidge and Travis Benjamin paid huge. Dude is better than Fitzpatrick, and this team treated Fitzpatrick better than Namath.

You aint lying lol. 

23 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ridiculous. I was told - prior to the following 6 months of his middle-fingering the Jets - that the Bowles announcement in early January had no effect on negotiations.

You can't say it did because you weren't in the room or on the phone with them. Not even if one imagined right away what it would look like, if the Bowles early-Jan comment were going to have an effect. Even if history then matched what one thought it would look like, it still meant nothing.

I'm sure neither Fitzpatrick nor his agents uttered a word of this to Maccagnan/Davidson in half a year of back & forth, despite no other teams showing serious interest. Prolly never came up once. 

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Ridiculous. I was told - prior to the following 6 months of his middle-fingering the Jets - that the Bowles announcement in early January had no effect on negotiations.

You can't say it did because you weren't in the room or on the phone with them. Not even if one imagined right away what it would look like, if the Bowles early-Jan comment were going to have an effect. Even if history then matched what one thought it would look like, it still meant nothing.

I'm sure neither Fitzpatrick nor his agents uttered a word of this to Maccagnan/Davidson in half a year of back & forth, despite no other teams showing serious interest. Prolly never came up once. 

Do you believe that Fitz, looking at the roster, looking at his prior season, would have had his agent negotiate back-up money?

The Jets were very, very, very stupid that they never created a hard deadline, and a walk away stance at that point. That is on Macs, and he did a terrible job in that aspect. Fitz called their bluff and called it good. 

In my estimation, "fat and happy" players (Wilk, Revis, Fitz among them) created a void of energy and lifted entitlement on the team.

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

Do you believe that Fitz, looking at the roster, looking at his prior season, would have had his agent negotiate back-up money?

The Jets were very, very, very stupid that they never created a hard deadline, and a walk away stance at that point. That is on Macs, and he did a terrible job in that aspect. Fitz called their bluff and called it good. 

In my estimation, "fat and happy" players (Wilk, Revis, Fitz among them) created a void of energy and lifted entitlement on the team.

I believe a blatantly idiotic comment like that could only serve to help the other side of the negotiating table. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I believe a blatantly idiotic comment like that could only serve to help the other side of the negotiating table. 

OK, minus that comment (let's believe it did not happen-humor me here), and you are sitting there as Fitz' agent.

As you look at the roster, look at Fitz' year and the Jets needs, how do you negotiate his contract>

And, as I said Macc screwed the pooch on this.

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

OK, minus that comment (let's believe it did not happen-humor me here), and you are sitting there as Fitz' agent.

As you look at the roster, look at Fitz' year and the Jets needs, how do you negotiate his contract>

And, as I said Macc screwed the pooch on this.

With a draft coming up, and the Jets projected to take - if not trade up for - a QB early, I think (as Fitz's agent) I'm a little less bullish about how I've got the HC in my back pocket. As his agent, my negotiating position would be less -- particularly if the team that should want him most isn't going to guarantee me a starting job the following year. 

As it turns out, though, that's just what the team did. The Jets' negotiating position was further made that much worse by leaving my client with an unsigned offer for half a year, further showing desperation. But even that may have been pressured by the initial comments by the team's HC (which also had its effect on its rostered veterans acting the way they did).

Our team is run by checkers players, themselves employed by a rock-paper-scissors player.

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

With a draft coming up, and the Jets projected to take - if not trade up for - a QB early, I think (as Fitz's agent) I'm a little less bullish about how I've got the HC in my back pocket. As his agent, my negotiating position would be less -- particularly if the team that should want him most isn't going to guarantee me a starting job the following year. 

As it turns out, though, that's just what the team did. The Jets' negotiating position was further made that much worse by leaving my client with an unsigned offer for half a year, further showing desperation. But even that may have been pressured by the initial comments by the team's HC (which also had its effect on its rostered veterans acting the way they did).

Our team is run by checkers players, themselves employed by a rock-paper-scissors player.

First, you would not be my agent with that approach ;).

Secondly, I said that Macs screwed this up by not creating a hardline.

Fiz was always going to go after starter money with the jets. All water under a bridge now.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

First, you would not be my agent with that approach ;).

Secondly, I said that Macs screwed this up by not creating a hardline.

Fiz was always going to go after starter money with the jets. All water under a bridge now.

I was speaking to a situation of a team that didn't show its hand the way the Jets did right from the start.

It's convenient to say that the public comment by Bowles didn't have effects upon both sides: the Fitz camp, and his own. After the comment was made, it puts his own GM into a different position.

As Fitz's agent, I could easily see this. Then I could further see the GM transparently bringing in FA QBs and not sign them; then I see the same GM drafting a QB my client and I don't see as a starting threat this year; then beyond that I could further still see players having mini-revolts over not signing the QB that they and the HC clearly want back.

If Maccagnan had a spine, and was any good at negotiating (which he clearly isn't), he could have ignored all of it. So while I'm not one prone to come to his defense, one doesn't point to the row of dominoes falling down and ignore the one that tipped over that first domino.

Archived