Can Chad Hansen be the next Eric Decker ?

JetNation

Hansen_Decker.jpg?fit=2101%2C694

On the most recent episode of Jet Nation Radio, an intriguing topic came up by our hosts Glenn Naughton and Joe Blewett.  They spoke about our new rookie Chad Hansen and veteran wide receiver Eric Decker.  A caller spoke about Hansen being the Decker 2.0 carbon copy.

Can Chad Hansen be the next Eric Decker?

If Chad Hansen wants to improve his receiver skills, he should focus on Eric Decker like a hawk.  They are similar in stature and have familiar traits in playing style.  Both show soft hands and have a large catch radius, even on errant throws.  Both run block well, maintain high-field awareness, and show toughness catching the ball in the middle of the field.

Where Decker excels & what Hansen needs to mimic is the ability to work through press coverage off the line. Eric has exceptional hand fighting skills and uses his quickness in short areas to separate from cornerbacks.  His precise route running makes up for his lack of deep speed.

Coming into camp, Hansen has mostly been considered an outside vertical threat.  He creates separation with his long speed on the boundary.  He can come over the top and high point the football.  According to Pro Football Focus, Hansen was a perfect 16 out of 16 on catchable deep targets over 20 yards or more.  He tracks the deep ball well and can finish over the shoulder receptions with ease.

I do believe there is more to Chad then being a deep-ball threat.  His run blocking is impressive.  He delivers a nice punch and locks his arms into defenders.  In 2016, he totaled  92 receptions, 1249 yards and 11 TD’s which proves he can be utilized as the main target.  Chad is reliable in traffic on intermediate routes but sometimes lacks separation.  He can be a bit stiff when coming in and out of his breaks.  They will have to create scheme diverse plays to get him the ball quickly.  I can see them involving him in rub routes and the screen game.  Hansen has exceptional run after the catch ability on quick hits and screens.

With time, proper coaching, and Eric Decker as his mentor I think his potential to be an offensive weapon is promising.  It will be very intriguing to see how John Morton utilizes him in the new yet unknown offensive scheme.

To find out more about the hot topics by Joe & Glenn, check out our website and subscribe to our NY Jets podcast on iTunes and Google Play.

Hansen_Decker.jpg?resize=1024%2C338

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Ll13kPcnQK0

Click here to read the full story...

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Both lunch pail, gym rat, heady, cerebral types who overcome their athletic limitations with grit and work ethic. I can see it.

Love those not a natural athlete blue collar high motor 100% on every play will do whatever it takes athletes. 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He's white so he's either Decker or Chrebet

They should line him up at HB.  Jets let Danny Woodhead get away once, this would totally make up for it.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Both lunch pail, gym rat, heady, cerebral types who overcome their athletic limitations with grit and work ethic. I can see it.

Interesting.  I was expecting you to take your comment in a different direction - some kind of joke about their looks and whiteness.  But it's the offseason so maybe you're saving such jokes for when more eyes on are this forum.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Interesting.  I was expecting you to take your comment in a different direction - some kind of joke about their looks and whiteness.  But it's the offseason so maybe you're saving such jokes for when more eyes on are this forum.

I believe what TS did there was take every line you hear that's often used to describe white players and attributed all of them to both receivers.

Well played.

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Okay, "High field awareness" = "Crafty" = "White"

"Lack of deep speed" and "Stiff in and out of his breaks" = "Nonathletic" = "White"

Both of these guys are fast and athletic for their size in any flavor. 

24 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Okay, "High field awareness" = "Crafty" = "White"

"Lack of deep speed" and "Stiff in and out of his breaks" = "Nonathletic" = "White"

Both of these guys are fast and athletic for their size in any flavor. 

I hear ya but he didn't cover the "pretty boy" thing.  

Decker and Chrebet should never included in the same sentence.  I feel I'm breaking it now to prove a point.  Decker is an injury waiting to happen who spends his life at the whim of his C celebrity wife.  Chrebet was the best example of determination and overachiement that ever graced a Jets roster.

(Oh and Keyshawn, go ____ a ____.)

1 hour ago, pdxgreen said:

Decker and Chrebet should never included in the same sentence.  I feel I'm breaking it now to prove a point.  Decker is an injury waiting to happen who spends his life at the whim of his C celebrity wife.  Chrebet was the best example of determination and overachiement that ever graced a Jets roster.

(Oh and Keyshawn, go ____ a ____.)

C celebrity wife sure.  But ya gotta admit, those are some great Cs.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

This article was written by Alex, our newest writer. Good job Alex, welcome to JetNation.

Thank you.

Damn, now I feel bad for disageeing.  My bad Alex.

Fine, yes we do need another bratty overpirced WR, who barely plays and gets extra support because he's white.

8 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Damn, now I feel bad for disageeing.  My bad Alex.

Fine, yes we do need another bratty overpirced WR, who barely plays and gets extra support because he's white.

Opinions are what we do here, no need to feel bad.

Wow this board is the most salty group of fans Ive ever seen.  2016 was a bad year, but now we criticize every single member of the organization????

Decker had 70+ catches playing with horrendous QB play in 2014.  Then had 80 catches and 12 TDs in 2016 and got hurt last year.  Lets crush him for sucking and being injury prone even though he played 15 games in each of his first 2 seasons here and is underpaid for his ability and production.

The same people whining that hes injury prone and talking about his wife, will be the same ones whining if we release him and he goes to a team with a real QB, and produces like he did in Denver (back to back 80-1000-double digit Tds)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but maybe we leave the actual good players, who are good guys off the field alone 

He got hurt last year and the whole offense imploded.  The previous 4 years he had 80,74,87, 85 catches with only one year under a thousand yards (962) 12,5,11,13 tds each of those years.

The guy is a good receiver who gets open and is a good red zone target.  Can hansen be the next Decker?  Lets cut decker and find out if he can!?!?!

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He got hurt last year and the whole offense imploded.  The previous 4 years he had 80,74,87, 85 catches with only one year under a thousand yards (962) 12,5,11,13 tds each of those years.

The guy is a good receiver who gets open and is a good red zone target.  Can hansen be the next Decker?  Lets cut decker and find out if he can!?!?!

Decker is a really good player.  And the only time the offense looked good last year is when he was healthy.  That's not a coincidence. 

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Wow this board is the most salty group of fans Ive ever seen.  2016 was The same people whining that hes injury prone and talking about his wife, will be the same ones whining if we release him and he goes to a team with a real QB, and produces like he did in Denver (back to back 80-1000-double digit Tds)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but maybe we leave the actual good players, who are good guys off the field alone 

No not really.  Once he pulled that BS when he skipped camp to protest for sh*tz, I then lost any respect for him.

He's a good player when healthy.  But he's also a brat.  Stay or go, no sleep lost.

Welcome to JN Alex.

It's an interesting comparison because Matt Miller from Bleacher Report had the same player comparison for Hansen prior to the draft in the big WR ranking post.  I think he has potential, but Decker was a better route runner by the time he came out, and played in a system that was more pro-friendly than Hansen.  One of the big issues for Hansen is his limited route tree, and trying to learn routes on the fly in the NFL.  I think he will have some growing pains on that aspect, but I like the physical profile since he seems to high point the ball well, and he's fast enough to take the top off.   I think the best case scenario is Decker, especially if he does work on his routes and can learn to set up defenders better.

Worst case scenario? I think Stedman Bailey from a few years ago.  Besides three inches in height, they had almost the exact same combine performance, and both dominated in college with an Air Raid style system.  

Also, I'm not sure why people hate on Decker.  Pretty sure he took a pay cut to be here, mainly because it allowed his wife to get NY media exposure, and he's produced when on the field.  

12 hours ago, JetNation said:

Hansen_Decker.jpg?fit=2101%2C694

On the most recent episode of Jet Nation Radio, an intriguing topic came up by our hosts Glenn Naughton and Joe Blewett.  They spoke about our new rookie Chad Hansen and veteran wide receiver Eric Decker.  A caller spoke about Hansen being the Decker 2.0 carbon copy.

Can Chad Hansen be the next Eric Decker?

If Chad Hansen wants to improve his receiver skills, he should focus on Eric Decker like a hawk.  They are similar in stature and have familiar traits in playing style.  Both show soft hands and have a large catch radius, even on errant throws.  Both run block well, maintain high-field awareness, and show toughness catching the ball in the middle of the field.

Where Decker excels & what Hansen needs to mimic is the ability to work through press coverage off the line. Eric has exceptional hand fighting skills and uses his quickness in short areas to separate from cornerbacks.  His precise route running makes up for his lack of deep speed.

Coming into camp, Hansen has mostly been considered an outside vertical threat.  He creates separation with his long speed on the boundary.  He can come over the top and high point the football.  According to Pro Football Focus, Hansen was a perfect 16 out of 16 on catchable deep targets over 20 yards or more.  He tracks the deep ball well and can finish over the shoulder receptions with ease.

I do believe there is more to Chad then being a deep-ball threat.  His run blocking is impressive.  He delivers a nice punch and locks his arms into defenders.  In 2016, he totaled  92 receptions, 1249 yards and 11 TD’s which proves he can be utilized as the main target.  Chad is reliable in traffic on intermediate routes but sometimes lacks separation.  He can be a bit stiff when coming in and out of his breaks.  They will have to create scheme diverse plays to get him the ball quickly.  I can see them involving him in rub routes and the screen game.  Hansen has exceptional run after the catch ability on quick hits and screens.

With time, proper coaching, and Eric Decker as his mentor I think his potential to be an offensive weapon is promising.  It will be very intriguing to see how John Morton utilizes him in the new yet unknown offensive scheme.

To find out more about the hot topics by Joe & Glenn, check out our website and subscribe to our NY Jets podcast on iTunes and Google Play.

Hansen_Decker.jpg?resize=1024%2C338

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

Ll13kPcnQK0

Click here to read the full story...

Im sure he can protest against the FO to bring back Fitz, so yeah, he can be our Decker v.2017

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Opinions are what we do here, no need to feel bad.

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

This article was written by Alex, our newest writer. Good job Alex, welcome to JetNation.

Thank you.

Thank you Max, looking forward to working with the Jet Nation crew.  Go JETS!!!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan2482 said:

Thank you Max, looking forward to working with the Jet Nation crew.  Go JETS!!!

Alex: First time, long time. Player most like Larry Bird: Detlef Shrempf or Wally Sczerbiak? I'll hang up and listen. 

Archived