lots of dead cap money

kmnj

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Mac is gone next January.  Woody can pretend to buy into the stupidity but he will eventually grow a brain and sink the costs.  He did with Tebow and Idzik

To do that Woody will have to admit that he too failed.  Woody also knows that in the current structure, it will be hard to get someone good to replace Mac.  So my guess is that they ride it out.  Maybe Bowles goes if he coaches like he did last year.

44 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

He's here for at least 2 more years. It is what it is. Enjoy the ride my friend.

I agree with this.

30 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

And that keep perpetuating the cycle and we become the Cleveland Browns. Mac hasn't done a bad job, let's give him time instead of firing HC/GM every two years.

I don't know about you, but the Cleveland Browns look like they currently have their heads screwed on straight.  They could be ahead of the Jets.  They certainly have a better coach.

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Irrelevant, the Jets are not Winning anything this year. Next season we will be spending like a crazy man.

Woody breaks down next year and spends.   The "patient" build is a one year build.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You are saying this after the fact, even the biggest fitz critics were eating their words after the big win streak before falling on our ass vs buffalo.  Fitz was not only good he was outstanding in that i think 6 game win streak. 

No I am not, I'm just repeating my sentiments from when the Jets acquired Fitz, Fitz kept the job when Geno was healthy in 2015, and every game after including the 5 game win streak vs 4 pop warner teams, and 1 completely depleted team at the time do to injuries, and kept repeating my opinion since never waivering, go look it up if you don't believe me.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

more on the plus side is 20 of 21 mac draft choices are currently on the team.  maybe he hasn't drafted great players beyond leo but he has made this team much younger and cheaper.

After making it much older and more expensive, sure.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

more on the plus side is 20 of 21 mac draft choices are currently on the team.  maybe he hasn't drafted great players beyond leo but he has made this team much younger and cheaper.

Also, short of "hands draft cards in before time expires," guys being on the roster is the lowest standard to which one can hold a GM. Making the team younger and cheaper by drafting a bunch of sh*tty players is basically a one-sentence summary of what Idzik did.

15 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

After making it much older and more expensive, sure.

They had to spend that money under the CBA. You know that.

Idzik did most of damage. He bombed out on almost every pick. Skipped drafting a Franchise QB because of Geno, and Drafted utter sh*te. But please continue with the Bashing :-)

1 hour ago, varjet said:

To do that Woody will have to admit that he too failed.  Woody also knows that in the current structure, it will be hard to get someone good to replace Mac.  So my guess is that they ride it out.  Maybe Bowles goes if he coaches like he did last year.

I agree with this.

I don't know about you, but the Cleveland Browns look like they currently have their heads screwed on straight.  They could be ahead of the Jets.  They certainly have a better coach.

Woody breaks down next year and spends.   The "patient" build is a one year build.

Now they do , but for what seems like decades they did exactly what the poster I replied to wanted the Jets to do , fire the GM and HC every two years. 

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

They had to spend that money under the CBA. You know that.

Idzik did most of damage. He bombed out on almost every pick. Skipped drafting a Franchise QB because of Geno, and Drafted utter sh*te. But please continue with the Bashing :-)

Idzik sucks and so does Maccagnan

31 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Also, short of "hands draft cards in before time expires," guys being on the roster is the lowest standard to which one can hold a GM. Making the team younger and cheaper by drafting a bunch of sh*tty players is basically a one-sentence summary of what Idzik did.

It's also code for "literally anyone not on the team can make the team." 

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

And that keep perpetuating the cycle and we become the Cleveland Browns. Mac hasn't done a bad job, let's give him time instead of firing HC/GM every two years.

Year 3 and we have THE worst roster in the league. How has he not done a bad job? I don't care who he cut and why he cut. I don't care if he drafted Leo. I don't care if he found a soon-to-be felon as an UDFA in Anderson. I care how the team is overall. We have no WRs worth a crap once Decker gets hurt. We have a makeshift OL. We have no QB or TE. His hand picked RB is older than my dead grandma in NFL RB age terms. We always had one of the best DL but he's made it sh*t with Richardson and Mo not being even half as productive under a different regime. David Harris is still our starting LB. We don't have a secondary unless you think the two rookie safeties will light the NFL on fire from the get-go? So there's that. Our strongest unit is the DL, which has ALWAYS been our strongest unit under most regimes. 

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Where did I say Franchise changing?  Signing Fitz added 2 more years to the rebuild process.

Hows so?

I disagree this team was always weak but they thought they could compete for 2 years then rebuild. We have been drafting to rebuild this club since Mac came here. We did not have access to a franchise QB so they took the best route they thought. He has stuck to the BPA drafting plan and nothing about that has changed no matter how our QB has sucked. The only possible QB misstep was Hackenburg but it is too early to tell for sure

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

c'mon.  give it a rest. mac has had 3 drafts.  he landed leo as he should have with a top 10 pick. nobody could've predicted the injury issues with smith and hack?  well let's just say we'll find out soon enough. in this draft adams, by all accounts is going to be a very good player and mayes, stewart, hansen and leggett were not reaches. this is in contrast with idzik who draft picks barely made it out of training camp. if you want to fault mac so far, blame him for not finding a solution at qb but the players he's picked up are clear upgrades over what the team had. 

30 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Year 3 and we have THE worst roster in the league. How has he not done a bad job? I don't care who he cut and why he cut. I don't care if he drafted Leo. I don't care if he found a soon-to-be felon as an UDFA in Anderson. I care how the team is overall. We have no WRs worth a crap once Decker gets hurt. We have a makeshift OL. We have no QB or TE. His hand picked RB is older than my dead grandma in NFL RB age terms. We always had one of the best DL but he's made it sh*t with Richardson and Mo not being even half as productive under a different regime. David Harris is still our starting LB. We don't have a secondary unless you think the two rookie safeties will light the NFL on fire from the get-go? So there's that. Our strongest unit is the DL, which has ALWAYS been our strongest unit under most regimes. 

at least get the facts straight.  anderson's arrest was for a misdemeanor. i agree about the rb.  forte is just not a really good running back at his age.  as for picking the safeties, a bit of a head scratcher with maye but it not like the jet dline has been lighting it up from a pass rushing aspect.  i imagine they will use lots of safety blitzes to get the pressure on.  in any case the two safeties are much better than the pryor/gilchrist combo.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

c'mon.  give it a rest. mac has had 3 drafts.  he landed leo as he should have with a top 10 pick. nobody could've predicted the injury issues with smith and hack?  well let's just say we'll find out soon enough. in this draft adams, by all accounts is going to be a very good player and mayes, stewart, hansen and leggett were not reaches. this is in contrast with idzik who draft picks barely made it out of training camp. if you want to fault mac so far, blame him for not finding a solution at qb but the players he's picked up are clear upgrades over what the team had. 

The ironic thing about these increasingly tortured defenses is that all you guys are really doing is bean-counting. Maccagnan rostered this many guys. So-and-so's an upgrade over so-and-so. He got good value. If all this were true, you'd think the team would be, you know, good. I enjoy thin-slicing and obsessive overanalysis as much as anyone, but this one's pretty simple: the team sucked when Idzik was here because he picked a bunch of sh*tty players, and the team sucks now because Maccagnan has picked a bunch of sh*tty players. 

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

at least get the facts straight.  anderson's arrest was for a misdemeanor. i agree about the rb.  forte is just not a really good running back at his age.  as for picking the safeties, a bit of a head scratcher with maye but it not like the jet dline has been lighting it up from a pass rushing aspect.  i imagine they will use lots of safety blitzes to get the pressure on.  in any case the two safeties are much better than the pryor/gilchrist combo.

I thought Forte was a good signing.   I disliked how he was used. 

He's older, so they fed him the ball, and in a shocker, he got hurt.   If he was splitting carries with Powell all year, I think both would have been more effective.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Actually Anderson's arrest was for a felony.

Doubt it will stand, but right now he's charged with a felony.  

Just now, dbatesman said:

The ironic thing about these increasingly tortured defenses is that all you guys are really doing is bean-counting. Maccagnan rostered this many guys. So-and-so's an upgrade over so-and-so. He got good value. If all this were true, you'd think the team would be, you know, good. I enjoy thin-slicing and obsessive overanalysis as much as anyone, but this one's pretty simple: the team sucked when Idzik was here because he picked a bunch of sh*tty players, and the team sucks now because Maccagnan has picked a bunch of sh*tty players. 

imo not exactly.  the teamed last season because a bunch of overpriced vets decided to mail it in.  you get guys who want to be there and play the game and the team will automatically do better.  again you can't tell about a draft class until about year 3. from the 2015 draft we know leo is legit and we know smith is toast but the rest of the choices are still around and should be getting better.  we'll see.

Just now, rangerous said:

imo not exactly.  the teamed last season because a bunch of overpriced vets decided to mail it in.  you get guys who want to be there and play the game and the team will automatically do better.  again you can't tell about a draft class until about year 3. from the 2015 draft we know leo is legit and we know smith is toast but the rest of the choices are still around and should be getting better.  we'll see.

Why does he get credit for bringing in "guys who want to be there and play the game" and not get blasted for overpaying for a bunch of old guys who didn't want to do either?

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Why does he get credit for bringing in "guys who want to be there and play the game" and not get blasted for overpaying for a bunch of old guys who didn't want to do either?

you mean he hasn't gotten blasted for revis, cro, gilchrist, clady, skrine, marshall etc?  he certainly has but i didn't see anyone complaining when those same guys got them to a 10-6 record in 2015.  be honest.  who would've cut any one of those guys after 2015?  okay clady wasn't on the team so he doesn't count.

and if these draft picks pan out beyond being jags then he should get credit because these are the guys who are the jet's future.  and yes, he should get discredit if they are busts.

58 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Yes, keep reading the beat writer propaganda. You blame Mac for the Dline under performing, did he personally break Mo's leg , did he play Sheldon out of position . We have no franchise Qb  but we are not alone there. The previous OC didn't use a TE so Mac should have traded  for or got a star one anyway . Can he help it if Forte was rarely used as a pass catching RB . A lot of what you complain about falls under the HC  not the GM. Sure the team isn't great but Mac hasn't made bad moves with two exceptions 1) signing Fitz last year and 2) not trading Sheldon. He rightfully cut aging vets and malcontents this season after the ill fated run with a piece of sh*t Fitz last year. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

Yes, keep reading the beat writer propaganda. You blame Mac for the Dline under performing, did he personally break Mo's leg , did he play Sheldon out of position . We have no franchise Qb  but we are not alone there. The previous OC didn't use a TE so Mac should have traded  for or got a star one anyway . Can he help it if Forte was rarely used as a pass catching RB . A lot of what you complain about falls under the HC  not the GM. Sure the team isn't great but Mac hasn't made bad moves with two exceptions 1) signing Fitz last year and 2) not trading Sheldon. He rightfully cut aging vets and malcontents this season after the ill fated run with a piece of sh*t Fitz last year. 

First thing is first. If you think Jets aren't the worst team in the league, I can live with that. If you think we aren't one of the worst 3 teams in the league, I'd ask you to take off those green shades. And if Mac picked up a starting LB, maybe Sheldon wouldn't ever play out of position? And for all the leg breaking excuse Mo, AKA Albert Haynseworth, uses, he didn't miss any time. Domino effect if u ask me. And Franchise QB? We have NO half decent QB, let alone praying for a franchise QB. Speaking of TEs, I guess Mac thinks Gailey is still our OC. And Forte was shot. There's a reason why he wasn't being used. He has no speed or power left. And his "exceptions" list is exceptionally long. His only good signing in 3 years has been Carpenter. Outside of that, everything falls on that exceptions list of failed FA pickups and trades. Pretty exceptional. The Fitz deal was actually just the final nail in coffin for me. You had to be blind and deaf to pay what you paid that garbage. Not a single team wanted Fitz and still the GM of the year thought he was worth $12mil. Really thick in the head. Please kee your bs excuses away. Incase you didn't notice, Idsh!t won almost as many games with half the payroll as Mac. Half. Let that sink in first before you start hugging his **** again. 

Did I mention the cap hell we faced this year? I blame Mr. T for that. It's barely been 5 years. Speaking of Tanny, he's had much more success in the NFL with all those failed trades and big signings than our GM of the year has with all his failures. Hope his ass gets canned after we go 3-13 just like Idsh*t. I don't care if this a blowup year. Idzik had that toon he was dropped off at the airport just to make sure he actually leaves town. 

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

Robby is charged with a felony and a misdemeanor. The two safeties can't really be worse than what we have anyways so I guess that's a win win situation. 

15 hours ago, kmnj said:

in addition to having one of the worst rosters in the league we have the second most dead cap money-way to go mac-those revis and fitz deals were just terrific

If only the Jets had another $10 million in cap space, they'd be super bowl contenders.

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

How about repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results with McCown?

Macc, genius that he is, offered 300% more than anyone else for McCown.  This organization literally learned nothing from last year.  

I'm convinced he's there to be a backup, either hackenberg or petty will start and get some experience (hopefully one of them is good enough to get a shot long term), other theory is.... perfect way to tank the season and draft a QB in a talented QB class next year

There are plenty of things to kill Mac over. IMO dead money, in a year with zero chance to compete, is not a big deal. If the dead money was the difference between a playoff spot and not, there would be a point. But without a QB, who gives a flying fart??

7 hours ago, j4jets said:

First thing is first. If you think Jets aren't the worst team in the league, I can live with that. If you think we aren't one of the worst 3 teams in the league, I'd ask you to take off those green shades. And if Mac picked up a starting LB, maybe Sheldon wouldn't ever play out of position? And for all the leg breaking excuse Mo, AKA Albert Haynseworth, uses, he didn't miss any time. Domino effect if u ask me. And Franchise QB? We have NO half decent QB, let alone praying for a franchise QB. Speaking of TEs, I guess Mac thinks Gailey is still our OC. And Forte was shot. There's a reason why he wasn't being used. He has no speed or power left. And his "exceptions" list is exceptionally long. His only good signing in 3 years has been Carpenter. Outside of that, everything falls on that exceptions list of failed FA pickups and trades. Pretty exceptional. The Fitz deal was actually just the final nail in coffin for me. You had to be blind and deaf to pay what you paid that garbage. Not a single team wanted Fitz and still the GM of the year thought he was worth $12mil. Really thick in the head. Please kee your bs excuses away. Incase you didn't notice, Idsh!t won almost as many games with half the payroll as Mac. Half. Let that sink in first before you start hugging his **** again. 

Did I mention the cap hell we faced this year? I blame Mr. T for that. It's barely been 5 years. Speaking of Tanny, he's had much more success in the NFL with all those failed trades and big signings than our GM of the year has with all his failures. Hope his ass gets canned after we go 3-13 just like Idsh*t. I don't care if this a blowup year. Idzik had that toon he was dropped off at the airport just to make sure he actually leaves town. 

On paper you can argue that we are surely in the bottom five, but games aren't played on paper. And I don't place a lot of stock in what prognosticators say about the Jets because its an easy mark for them to lambast and ridicule them as the majority of Jet fans buy right into their sthick.

This offense can be adequate if we get any semblance of QB play. My hope is Hack takes a leap this year and plays proficiently enough that it takes heat off of the defense which by midseason should be much better than last season - I do expect some early growing pains with the younger D players , but I really feel by mid season Adams and Maye will help galvanize the defense.

I believe our Oline is in better shape than it was last year , too many here are bemoaning the loss of Mangold, Clady ,Giacomini - these guys were all inefficient and on the downswing. I loved what Mangold brought to the Jets but his time had come, In addition Wes Johnson played pretty well last year.  Our wr's aren't household names but I'd take Decker/Enumwa/Anderson/Stewart/Hansen/J Marshall over the dreck we rooled out at this position just a few short years ago.

At TE I feel ASJ and Leggett can be a decent duo given ASJ can get his head on straight a big IF, but bottom line the OC needs to get the TE involved, clearly Gailey did not. Too many here have already pegged Leggett a bust because someone sniped he reminded them of Kellen Davis. I predict Leggett will exceed all expectations and then some. 

I agree the Fitz signing last season was horrible but not due to the money. What would it have mattered if they only paid $4M for him , the extra cap space wasn't bringing a star player that would have a difference on the roster. The mistake period was believing Fitz was the best option for the team it divided the team and half and set them up for failure at first sign of adversity.

RB is an issue, Forte needs to be used in space but IMO Powell is very under rated here ,the problem with him is durability.

I won't spend the time on the D now, have a meeting I need to run to .

Bottom line Mac hasn't made slam dunk type moves to improve the team but I believe he has set a foundation of youth that can solidify into a solid core moving forward , something Jet fans are typically too impatient to wait for.

2 hours ago, NoBowles said:

There are plenty of things to kill Mac over. IMO dead money, in a year with zero chance to compete, is not a big deal. If the dead money was the difference between a playoff spot and not, there would be a point. But without a QB, who gives a flying fart??

Because it's more evidence of Mac's ineptitude.  He created this mess

It's like Phil Jackson trying to blame Carmelo for not waiving his no trade clause.  Phil, you gave that to him

Archived