Josh McCown says he's planning to win the Jets QB job--and he will

joewilly12

Josh McCown says he's planning to win Jets' QB job -- and he will

May 4, 2017
  • cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer 

Josh McCown wants to be the New York Jets' starting quarterback. He expects to win the job and keep it.

Yes, he's still competitive after all these years and all those stops in his career. But the 37-year-old McCown also recognizes there's more to this gig. He's getting $6 million to be a bridge quarterback, which, in the language of the NFL, means he'll play until someone younger is ready to take over.

Mark it down: Christian Hackenberg will start at some point in 2017. If not, it's a wasted season for the Jets. In the meantime, McCown's job is to raise the bar in the quarterback room. He intends to beat Hackenberg and Bryce Petty in the open competition, which is what the Jets are calling this three-man ... uh, situation.

The Jets got a close look at Josh McCown in October, when he threw for 341 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions for the Browns in a loss at Cleveland. Ken Blaze/USA TODAY Sports

"That's the goal," McCown said Wednesday, commenting for the first time since signing in March. "You go in to compete and win the job. If it changes, it changes. My mindset is to come and learn the offense, do everything I can to master it this spring and training camp. Then, if I'm the guy, play the position as well as I can until it changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Obviously, as a competitor, you don't expect that to change. You don't want that to change. I plan to go out and play well."

McCown hasn't played well in a few years. He has lost 20 of his past 22 starts, with 29 touchdowns and 24 interceptions over that three-year span. Not good. But he has brought a winning attitude to his new job -- his ninth team -- and that will be an important dynamic in the quarterback room.

The success of the upcoming season hinges, in large part, on improvement at quarterback. Just ask owner Woody Johnson. McCown will have a role, whether he's playing or carrying a clipboard.

The offseason program began only two weeks ago, but McCown already has impressed folks inside the building at One Jets Drive with his professionalism and upbeat personality. On the field, he's a vocal presence. Guard Brian Winterscalled him "a great leader," adding that McCown "wasn't quiet, wasn't sitting in the back. [He was] trying to lead us from the beginning."

Yes, McCown is looking out for No. 1, but he also embraces his role as a mentor to No. 2 and No. 3.

"I look forward to every day coming in and working with Hack and Bryce, and trying to give away the things that I learned in my career and, hopefully, make their journeys better as they go through their careers," he said. "That is the goal. That is something I believe in as a person, not just inside football, but in every walk of life."

Quarterback competitions can get messy. They can chafe feelings and divide a locker room. McCown recognizes the value of keeping the peace, but it can be a challenge to strike a balance between sage mentor and fierce competitor.

"It's a full competition between the three of us," he said. "I think all three of us will approach it as trying to be the guy. I think that's good for our team. It's healthy for our team for all of us to compete as hard as we can."

Chances are, McCown will emerge as the opening-day starter. He knows the game, knows how to read a defense and knows the concepts of a West Coast-style offense. That gives him the edge over Hackenberg and Petty.

Naturally, the Jets would love for Hackenberg to light up the preseason and snatch the job, but that would take a small miracle. It'll be McCown versus the Buffalo Bills on Sept. 10. Bet on it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Josh McCown is name the starter it will be because the Organization had no choice and are not done with Petty and 1 step closer to being done with Hackenberg .  I take Todd Bowles at his word, which was that  " On this team, you earn your playing time" . If the 2 young cubs don't earn the job, it shouldn't be given to them . 

If Hack can't beat out McCown then there is no point in starting him.  

That said, I'm sure he'll be given every benefit of the doubt during the competition.

I know everyone seems to want them to tank but that's not how organizations or players are wired.  There is more of a chance that a couple of these QB's next year bust out then turn into a Manning.

When all is said and done I think Hack will win and I want him to win but not if he's clearly outperformed.  They kept throwing out the worst QB in the league last year and that's a big reason why Bowels lost the team.

50 minutes ago, Pac said:

That said, I'm sure he'll be given every benefit of the doubt during the competition.

I know everyone seems to want them to tank but that's not how organizations or players are wired.  There is more of a chance that a couple of these QB's next year bust out then turn into a Manning.

When all is said and done I think Hack will win and I want him to win but not if he's clearly outperformed.  They kept throwing out the worst QB in the league last year and that's a big reason why Bowels lost the team.

This entire line of thinking is flawed.  Rookies and young QB's rarely outplay veterans in camp.  They are drafted based on potential and they play based on their ability to improve and their potential.  

Rookies are usually lost in yr 1.   In sure Glennon was better than Winston in Tampa but the team knew Winston was the long term QB so they let him struggle in year 1.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

If Josh McCown is named the starter this organization it truly clueless.

They would not be clueless.  They would be hosed...

21 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

If we wins the job it means that Petty and Hack suck.  So we get a better chance to get Darnold. Win-win for me.

...because of this.  Or at least the first sentence. 

Winston in Tampa was a number one pick.  They had to start him and give him the chance to learn on the job.  They also knew his floor was relatively high.

Hack's floor is the basement.   In order for Hack and Petty to do their best, they should be pushed in competition.  But if it is a tie or close to a tie, the youth should win.

Even if McCown starts he gets hurt by week 8. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I could not agree more. Hackenberg and Petty need to be put in competition for the job PERIOD. McCown is a bridge QB which means he is there to mentor and backup the starter. I firmly believe that Bowles has been given leeway for the teams' record this season. In other words his job is not in jeopardy unless the team shows no upward mobility or progress. I think he is back even if the Jets go 4-12, so there is no reason to start McCown.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Hackenberg or Petty have got to have the season to show what they can do. If one or both are abysmal then we know we have to draft another QB or sign a young FA. Any game McCown starts takes reps away from the young QB's and sets the team back. McCown should play only when both have exhausted coaches patience and show they aren't ready or able.

1 hour ago, LionelRichie said:

This entire line of thinking is flawed.  Rookies and young QB's rarely outplay veterans in camp.  They are drafted based on potential and they play based on their ability to improve and their potential.  

Rookies are usually lost in yr 1.   In sure Glennon was better than Winston in Tampa but the team knew Winston was the long term QB so they let him struggle in year 1.

The 54th overall pick does not get the same benefit of doubt as the #1 overall.  It's a bogus comparison.

I think if Hack plays even 70% as well as McCown then he'll start and you can justify that with your team.  What you can't do is start a player who is clearly a much worse option than someone else you have on the roster.  It completely undermines everything you're trying to establish as a head coach.  

It's a huge reason why last years team was abysmal.  Geno was clearly the better option but they kept rolling out that bearded farce.  Destroyed team morale and ultimately led to the removal of many players.  There can NOT be a repeat of that if Bowles hopes to survive the year.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If Josh McCown is name the starter it will be because the Organization had no choice and are not done with Petty and 1 step closer to being done with Hackenberg .  I take Todd Bowles at his word, which was that  " On this team, you earn your playing time" . If the 2 young cubs don't earn the job, it shouldn't be given to them . 

Yes, it should.

There is no logical argument for starting McCown when it comes to this franchise and its future.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yes, it should.

There is no logical argument for starting McCown when it comes to this franchise and its future.

Exactly, starting McCown is as productive as starting Fitzpatrick the last 2 years it put this organization 2 years behind and continued us in the backwards direction. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Exactly, starting McCown is as productive as starting Fitzpatrick the last 2 years it put this organization 2 years behind and continued us in the backwards direction. 

He gives us the best chance to win :wub:

Of course absolutely no one wants to have McCown starting for the Jets, for a variety of different reasons, but this still is the exact mindset he should have.  The Jets want him to be both pushing the young guys via competition, while still helping them out.  Now if he ends up significantly outperforming them both through camp and preseason, there are much bigger problems out there than him.  If it's anywhere remotely close, hopefully they are smart enough to go with one of the kids.

6 minutes ago, August said:

If McCown wins the job then it is what it is. It's an indictment on Petty and Hackenberg if they can't beat out McCown. 

That's fine as long as both young QB's are given a fair opportunity to win the stating job, unlike last year when Bowles guaranteed Fitz the job before he was even signed.

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

That's fine as long as both young QB's are given a fair opportunity to win the stating job, unlike last year when Bowles guaranteed Fitz the job before he was even signed.

I agree. 

Well what can you say? As long as Bowles is the HC McCown probably will start. If McCown does start with his career record I guess the suck for sam guys will get their wish. With the Jets luck they secure a high draft pick and Darnold stays in school rather than play for them! Can't ya just see it?

24 minutes ago, August said:

If McCown wins the job then it is what it is. It's an indictment on Petty and Hackenberg if they can't beat out McCown. 

No, that's not what it is.  The one thing McCown has that the other two qbs don't is EXPERIENCE .  And you don't get that riding the pine.

They have to see what they have in Petty and Hack.  Maybe they don't have the talent McCown has; maybe they do.  But we need to find out this year.

Going 6-10 or 8-8 with McCown does nothing for this team.

11 minutes ago, peebag said:

No, that's not what it is.  The one thing McCown has that the other two qbs don't is EXPERIENCE .  And you don't get that riding the pine.

They have to see what they have in Petty and Hack.  Maybe they don't have the talent McCown has; maybe they do.  But we need to find out this year.

Going 6-10 or 8-8 with McCown does nothing for this team.

If they have the talent then it should show in training camp and preseason. I want to see what we have in them but I don't want to hand them the job just because they're young. 

I am eager to see how Hackenberg does after coming in 4th place in a Quarterbacking competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty, in a Quarterbacking competition that includes Bryce Petty and Josh McCown!

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Is there an option where Hackenberg and Petty are so bad that there's no reason to actually bother starting them?

11 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I am eager to see how Hackenberg does after coming in 4th place in a Quarterbacking competition that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Geno Smith, and Bryce Petty, in a Quarterbacking competition that includes Bryce Petty and Josh McCown!

Was there really a competition when Fitz was handed the job before even signing the contract.

1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

He gives us the best chance to win :wub:

such a bowles move....playing to "salvage" a 6-10 season for some marginal improvement.  

Bowles press conference after the season  -  "well, we won one more game than last year.  that's improvement, 20% improvement.  it's not good enough but it's improvement.   As a team we need to get better, I need to get better, but we have this going in the right direction."   

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Was there really a competition when Fitz was handed the job before even signing the contract.

Hackenberg came in third in a QB competition that included Geno Smith and Bryce Petty.

Feel better?

Archived