Josh McCown says he's planning to win the Jets QB job--and he will

joewilly12

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yes, it should.

There is no logical argument for starting McCown when it comes to this franchise and its future.

Question, what exactly did the rams learn about Jared Goff last season that was so important to rush him on to the field when he clearly wasn't ready . If the Jets feel Hackenberg is ready they should let him sit until he earns his playing time . If Petty isn't capable of outplaying McCown, then it's time to move on from Petty .                                                   

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Yes, it should.

There is no logical argument for starting McCown when it comes to this franchise and its future.

Not only are there no logical reasons TO start him there are many many many MANY reasons NOT to start McCown this year. Sadly, I think Bowles is at least as stubborn and stupid as he appears

53 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well what can you say? As long as Bowles is the HC McCown probably will start. If McCown does start with his career record I guess the suck for sam guys will get their wish. With the Jets luck they secure a high draft pick and Darnold stays in school rather than play for them! Can't ya just see it?

There are at the very least 5 top tier QB's that will go in round one next draft. The NFL is desperate for quality QB's. We'll get one of the top 3. ?

1 hour ago, peebag said:

No, that's not what it is.  The one thing McCown has that the other two qbs don't is EXPERIENCE .  And you don't get that riding the pine.

They have to see what they have in Petty and Hack.  Maybe they don't have the talent McCown has; maybe they do.  But we need to find out this year.

Going 6-10 or 8-8 with McCown does nothing for this team.

Nice to see peebag took his smart pills today. 

While I have no interest in defending anything about Bowles, I still cannot comprehend what kind of logic leads someone to believe that something done one time is a proof of a supposed trend.  He deserves no benefit-of-the-doubt after last year, but anyone going on about what he "always" does is fabricating this little story.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Question, what exactly did the rams learn about Jared Goff last season that was so important to rush him on to the field when he clearly wasn't ready . If the Jets feel Hackenberg is ready they should let him sit until he earns his playing time . If Petty isn't capable of outplaying McCown, then it's time to move on from Petty .                                                   

Respectfully, I reject such soft-handed lack of accountability and expectation.

A draft pick from the 2nd round must be able to take an NFL snap and look vaguely professional by the start of his second season.  If he's not, what the hell are we doing?  

If he is still unable to even take a snap, the GM who selected him made a massive mistake investing so high for such a long-shot, long-term project player.  

And in the end, thats an argument for sitting Hack, NOT an argument for playing McCown.  Playing McCown is the least effective, useful thing this franchise can do.  Even if Hack is sh*t, playing him all season does more for our team than playing McCown one play does.  It at least tells us, definitively, that Hack is sh*t, and must be replaced asap.

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

1st

2nd

And

1st...

The draft positions of McCown's teams the last 3 years.  

Let's just hope that doesn't change.  We're paying him good money for his draft positioning expertise.

damn! if we could get a top QB next year that woudl be great, but i would be happy wth 8 and 8 and we spend a crap load to get the QB we want

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Respectfully, I reject such soft-handed lack of accountability and expectation.

A draft pick from the 2nd round must be able to take an NFL snap and look vaguely professional by the start of his second season.  If he's not, what the hell are we doing?  

If he is still unable to even take a snap, the GM who selected him made a massive mistake investing so high for such a long-shot, long-term project player.  

And in the end, thats an argument for sitting Hack, NOT an argument for playing McCown.  Playing McCown is the least effective, useful thing this franchise can do.  Even if Hack is sh*t, playing him all season does more for our team than playing McCown one play does.  It at least tells us, definitively, that Hack is sh*t, and must be replaced asap.

Why can't the coaching staff not playing Hack because they deem him not ready definitively tell you that . The folks who need to see if Hack needs to play are they people who see him on a daily basis, not those who visit camp on select day and think they no better . If you can tell after weeks of playing that Hack is worthless, why can't you believe that those who see him those days and on a daily basis in practice can't .

IMO, this seems to be all about what you want instead of what's best for the Jets . Hack will be entering his 2nd year but his 1st year in this new scheme and he might need time to acclimate himself to this scheme . Petty had a year to learn Gailey's system and started games in his 2nd year that proved him less than desirable . McCown has played or been in various schemes and can be a bridge until  a suitable replacement presents itself .

Like I said, the ball is in Hacks court, because IMO and quite obviously yours, this season has to be all about Hack .

5 hours ago, peebag said:

No, that's not what it is.  The one thing McCown has that the other two qbs don't is EXPERIENCE .  And you don't get that riding the pine.

They have to see what they have in Petty and Hack.  Maybe they don't have the talent McCown has; maybe they do.  But we need to find out this year.

Going 6-10 or 8-8 with McCown does nothing for this team.

The one thing McCown knows that the others don't is how to fit lots of sh!t in a Samsonite

He's here so the FO can show STH's that they're bringing in a veteran to try to compete.  Hack or Petty will take the job soon enough to get a significant number of reps this season.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

If we had a good staff, it might.

We don't.

For the better part of 40 years, we haven't had a good coaching staff, but the one thing we did have was the same fans who keep flooding radio stations with calls for coaching change . With every change, 2 prior years go out the window and we wonder why things don't change .

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

He's here so the FO can show STH's that they're bringing in a veteran to try to compete.  Hack or Petty will take the job soon enough to get a significant number of reps this season.

In the meantime please send in your money. 

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

For the better part of 40 years, we haven't had a good coaching staff, but the one thing we did have was the same fans who keep flooding radio stations with calls for coaching change . With every change, 2 prior years go out the window and we wonder why things don't change .

it would help if Woody would stop hiring absolute morons.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Josh McCown is is not putting people in the seats I can assure you that. 

He puts more people in the seats than the FO annoucing to STH's that the goal is to go winless does.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

He puts more people in the seats than the FO annoucing to STH's that the goal is to go winless does.

Has the FO ever openly said that we are tanking on purpose it seems to be the excuse every year, I think its come to smart fans realizing this organization just doesn't get it and the winning formula is nowhere to be found here. 

You couldn't pay me to be a season ticket holder, been there done that the Kotite year was enough misery and aggravation for a lifetime. 

Has the FO ever openly said that we are tanking on purpose it seems to be the excuse every year, I think its come to smart fans realizing this organization just doesn't get it and the winning formula is nowhere to be found here. 

I know.  It's almost like nobody in the FO reads message boards to find out how to dethrone Belichick and the Pats.  So frustrating.

8 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I know.  It's almost like nobody in the FO reads message boards to find out how to dethrone Belichick and the Pats.  So frustrating.

Message boards would be an option considering the inept clueless individuals who are leading the Jets  here they could learn a thing or two from message boards. 

Hey look we signed another free agent nobody wanted the kid ran a 4.25 in pop warner and he has a heartfelt story about his high school playing days in bum**** Egypt. 

Message boards would be an option considering the inept clueless individuals who are leading the Jets  here they could learn a thing or two from message boards. 

Hey look we signed another free agent nobody wanted the kid ran a 4.25 in pop warner and he has a heartfelt story about his high school playing days in bum**** Egypt. 

Sounds legit.

8 hours ago, AFJF said:

Well that would require one of them to actually play better than McCown in TC and preseason

That's not happening.

7 minutes ago, thadude said:

Well that would require one of them to actually play better than McCown in TC and preseason

That's not happening.

I could see Hack or Petty, whoever looks better, getting 10 or more starts this season.

Either way, it's not out of the question for them to end up with a top-3 pick.

win/win

In my mind there is no way Bowels is going to start anyone BUT McCown because he will be in full win now mode to save his job.  This is why you cant do a proper tank job with a coach who needs to win and McCown is good enough to pull out 3-5 wins from this schedule.  Don't bank on him getting hurt either.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

it would help if Woody would stop hiring absolute morons.

I wonder if people who go to Zoo to see animals ever consider what the animals there're looking at think about them . People who depend on the emotional state of 53 other people to get the Job they were hired to do are morons, but people who pays thousands of dollars to give themselves heart disease due to the efforts of the morons because of the actions of 106 men who get paid millions are smart enough to judge them .

Archived