Jump to content
joewilly12

Buccaneers agree to deal with free-agent Ryan Fitzpatrick

Recommended Posts

Buccaneers agree to deal with free-agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

10:11 AM ET
  • ESPN.com news services 

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reached an agreement with veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, the team announced Friday.

Fitzpatrick, 34, is coming off a two-year run with the New York Jets that was marked by one terrific season, a long contract dispute and one disappointing season. Technically, he became a free agent on Feb. 10, when his contract automatically voided.

The contract, signed on the eve of last training camp, paid him $12 million for one season.

Fitzpatrick received a raise after a career season in 2015. After replacing the injured Geno Smith in the preseason -- Smith's jaw was broken by a teammate in a locker-room altercation -- Fitzpatrick led the Jets to 10 wins and set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes.

It was a contract year for Fitzpatrick and, although there was mutual interest in another deal, it took a six-month stalemate before the two sides reached an agreement. The Jets were reluctant to commit long term because they felt his 2015 performance may have been an aberration.

In 2016, Fitzpatrick was benched twice, threw 17 interceptions and only 12 touchdowns and compiled a league-low passer rating (69.6) as the Jets stumbled to 5-11. The lowpoint was a Week 3 loss in Kansas City, where he threw six interceptions.

At the end of the season, Fitzpatrick acknowledged his starting days in the NFL probably are over, but he expressed a strong interest in resuming his career.

Fitzpatrick, who entered the league as a seventh-round pick of the Rams in 2005, is 46-69-1 as a starter while playing for six different teams. He has 166 touchdown passes, 133 interceptions and has thrown for 25,888 yards, 14th on the active list.

ESPN's Rich Cimini contributed to this report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
34 minutes ago, KRL said:

Worst move Maccagnan/Bowles made was allowing Fitzpatrick to hijack the whole off-season.  They 

should've set a hard date for him to sign and if he refused move on to Geno

Ruined our Super Bowl chances 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, KRL said:

Worst move Maccagnan/Bowles made was allowing Fitzpatrick to hijack the whole off-season.  They 

should've set a hard date for him to sign and if he refused move on to Geno

This was the key 🔑 

Fitz was a great signing initially, he was brought in as a backup got an opportunity and did a good job, not great but good.  

At that point the Jets brain trust had to do what you said and fairly evaluate what Fitz was worth based on his entire career and not just on one outliner year.  And if Geno essentially sucked so bad that he couldn't see the field absent nuclear war then he should have been shown the door as well.

Imo just a bad series of mistakes from the FO to the HC last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jetrider said:

and Glennon replaced McCown

So when Hack beats out McCown I think that means that Hack is better than both Josh Freeman and Jameis Winston.

Don't quote me though, the Kevin Bacon game was never a strength for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, KRL said:

Worst move Maccagnan/Bowles made was allowing Fitzpatrick to hijack the whole off-season.  They 

should've set a hard date for him to sign and if he refused move on to Geno

This was said 1000 times one year ago but a 10 win season was all they heard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Fitz is better than Mike Glennon.

true  :(.. i marked Nov. 12  :rolleyes:

 

 

 

 

cheers ~ ~ 

:beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So when Hack beats out McCown I think that means that Hack is better than both Josh Freeman and Jameis Winston.

Don't quote me though, the Kevin Bacon game was never a strength for me.

Freeman yes, Winston no. I hope either Petty or Hack is ready to roll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Youre nuts. With mitchell doing well, glennon might be ours next year

Next year, in all likelihood, the Jets will have a chance ( and I emphasize the words "a chance") to get a finally get a franchise QB. That QB will not be Glennon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Buccaneers agree to deal with free-agent QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

10:11 AM ET
  • ESPN.com news services 

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reached an agreement with veteran quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, the team announced Friday.

Fitzpatrick, 34, is coming off a two-year run with the New York Jets that was marked by one terrific season, a long contract dispute and one disappointing season. Technically, he became a free agent on Feb. 10, when his contract automatically voided.

The contract, signed on the eve of last training camp, paid him $12 million for one season.

Fitzpatrick received a raise after a career season in 2015. After replacing the injured Geno Smith in the preseason -- Smith's jaw was broken by a teammate in a locker-room altercation -- Fitzpatrick led the Jets to 10 wins and set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes.

It was a contract year for Fitzpatrick and, although there was mutual interest in another deal, it took a six-month stalemate before the two sides reached an agreement. The Jets were reluctant to commit long term because they felt his 2015 performance may have been an aberration.

In 2016, Fitzpatrick was benched twice, threw 17 interceptions and only 12 touchdowns and compiled a league-low passer rating (69.6) as the Jets stumbled to 5-11. The lowpoint was a Week 3 loss in Kansas City, where he threw six interceptions.

At the end of the season, Fitzpatrick acknowledged his starting days in the NFL probably are over, but he expressed a strong interest in resuming his career.

Fitzpatrick, who entered the league as a seventh-round pick of the Rams in 2005, is 46-69-1 as a starter while playing for six different teams. He has 166 touchdown passes, 133 interceptions and has thrown for 25,888 yards, 14th on the active list.

ESPN's Rich Cimini contributed to this report.

Did Fitz get Osweiler money since he's a backup too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Glad someone saw what I was doing there. :)

Mission accomplished

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Winston, out for the year by week 2, take it to the bank.

then Fitzpatrick to have great season...See, the bucs know the Fitzpatrick cycle. The Jets didn't. 

Watch Mac trade for him at the deadline because he's having a great year and is 'cheap'. 

Quote

Mac: We traded next year's 1st round because we're only 5 games out of 1st place in our division. Fitzpatrick has done real well this year and at 2 million, he's an excellent deal. This is a guy who made 12 million last season and we're able to get him for only 2.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×