What Bothers You Most About the Current Situation ?

Smashmouth

Its obvious we have entered the first full year of a rebuild. In today's NFL you can pull that off much sooner than in the past. It used to be the 5 year plan but now with free agency in high gear and trades becoming more common, a good GM can get a team back contending in about 2 years. A lot of times that comes with hiring a top notch coach as well. Some good examples of bad teams that turned it around were the Niners and the Chiefs we knew they had talent but we also knew they had terrible coaching. In walks Andy Reid and Jim Harbaugh and you have a totally different situation in one short year .Even Parcells coming to the Jets in 97 had a huge Impact on so many levels on a 1-15 football team.  Yes you can argue the talent was there but I think we could be in that situation with Todd Bowles In other words not knowing WTF we actually have talent wise because our coach is just not good at his job.

What bothers me most, is not so much the unknown young talent we will be adding or the FA signings its Todd Bowles. Personally I do not feel this guy gets the most out of his players and I do not feel hes made any strides in the coaching of this football team from year one too year two. It seems he continued to make the same mistakes he made in year one with the added bonus of losing the locker room and then in the off season just brushing it off. The question has to be will this guy mold these young players and form a team that can compete or do you trust him to do so ? Will he adjust during games and actually put this team in a position to win or will he deflate their confidence with some bone headed clock management or lack of preparation costing us games ? Losing confidence in a HC in any sport is tough on players and it creates problems and I feel that's exactly what happened last year.

With this upcoming year being the first in a rebuild I feel like Bowles is getting an automatic free pass no matter how bad this season goes and even worse the entire call seems to be on Woody since hes made his GM and HC on the same level which is dreadfully stupid. With a guy like Harbaugh I can see making the coach run the show but I can not see that with Todd Bowles.

So I'm always going to have Bowles in the back of my mind which will leave me wondering ... Are we just wasting 2 more years with this guy ? I just hope the Jets are able to figure out what can be chalked up top bad coaching and what can be chalked up to young players making mistakes and act accordingly. Because when I see a HC retain a coordinator like Kacy Rogers simply because they are buds, it really worries me along with all the other crap a HC is responsible for.

At this stage in development I'm not worried about the QB position because only one of 2 things can happen in a relatively short period of time ...Hack totally sucks and due to that suckage we get a high draft pick in a QB rich draft or Hack comes in and plays well and we move forward, Ideally Hack does well. 

Those are my concern's so what worries you the most about this rebuild ?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to shake my head at this stuff...

BTW how did Bill Belichickdo at his first coaching job. Also he was afraid he was going to be fired in NE before Brady started. He was too scared to start Brady...one injury later and the rest is history. Thanks for being patient.

How about Pete Carrol at his first coaching job.....

maybe some patience would help

Losing every game is not a way to build a program. All it does is enforce a culture of losing. 

There's no such thing as a successful rebuild in the NFL. It's literally never happened

certain teams got bad for a year at the right time (Luck, Eli) but teams like the Browns have been "rebuilding" since their inception. 

Specifically the most annoying thing about the current situation is the QB stuff. people pretend like Hack is going to be awesome, that dude isn't even good enough to beat out mcCown. They could have drafted a QB to compete like Watson and given us hope. Instead, they drafted safeties and sold us on the idea that losing every game this year would be the best way forward. 

here's the real truth: This franchise is killing time until Brady retires and not even trying. Woody can't even be bothered to stay in the country while it's happening. 

11 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Its obvious we have entered the first full year of a rebuild. In today's NFL you can pull that off much sooner than in the past. It used to be the 5 year plan but now with free agency in high gear and trades becoming more common, a good GM can get a team back contending in about 2 years. A lot of times that comes with hiring a top notch coach as well. Some good examples of bad teams that turned it around were the Niners and the Chiefs we knew they had talent but we also knew they had terrible coaching. In walks Andy Reid and Jim Harbaugh and you have a totally different situation in one short year .Even Parcells coming to the Jets in 97 had a huge Impact on so many levels on a 1-15 football team.  Yes you can argue the talent was there but I think we could be in that situation with Todd Bowles In other words not knowing WTF we actually have talent wise because our coach is just not good at his job.

What bothers me most, is not so much the unknown young talent we will be adding or the FA signings its Todd Bowles. Personally I do not feel this guy gets the most out of his players and I do not feel hes made any strides in the coaching of this football team from year one too year two. It seems he continued to make the same mistakes he made in year one with the added bonus of losing the locker room and then in the off season just brushing it off. The question has to be will this guy mold these young players and form a team that can compete or do you trust him to do so ? Will he adjust during games and actually put this team in a position to win or will he deflate their confidence with some bone headed clock management or lack of preparation costing us games ? Losing confidence in a HC in any sport is tough on players and it creates problems and I feel that's exactly what happened last year.

With this upcoming year being the first in a rebuild I feel like Bowles is getting an automatic free pass no matter how bad this season goes and even worse the entire call seems to be on Woody since hes made his GM and HC on the same level which is dreadfully stupid. With a guy like Harbaugh I can see making the coach run the show but I can not see that with Todd Bowles.

So I'm always going to have Bowles in the back of my mind which will leave me wondering ... Are we just wasting 2 more years with this guy ? I just hope the Jets are able to figure out what can be chalked up top bad coaching and what can be chalked up to young players making mistakes and act accordingly. Because when I see a HC retain a coordinator like Kacy Rogers simply because they are buds, it really worries me along with all the other crap a HC is responsible for.

At this stage in development I'm not worried about the QB position because only one of 2 things can happen in a relatively short period of time ...Hack totally sucks and due to that suckage we get a high draft pick in a QB rich draft or Hack comes in and plays well and we move forward, Ideally Hack does well. 

I don't like Bowles because I just don't see the adjustments in games and the locker room seems to be going downward.  Rex had a never ending affinity towards "his guys" and I see similar problems with Bowles.  His handling of the Geno-IK situation was probably one of the worst examples of coaching I've seen because he let it spiral out of control by trying to move on quickly.  

If we get a high pick in the draft, I think he's gone because it would mean that our offense and defense has sucked again, thus the new coaches didn't make much of a difference.  So they would likely go with a new coaching staff that can pick their stud QB choice in the draft and start over.

5 minutes ago, sciond said:

BTW how did Bill Belichickdo at his first coaching job. Also he was afraid he was going to be fired in NE before Brady started. He was too scared to start Brady...one injury later and the rest is history. Thanks for being patient.

I was patient and I have to wonder how much of Tood Bowles do you need to see ? 2 years with same mistakes made in year 2 as in year 1 and a lost locker room he seemed to just brush off. Including keeping a Defensive coordinator we saw him strip of play calling duties early in the season.

10 minutes ago, sciond said:

uh, i think the bellichicken knew early on that brady was going to take over for bledsoe.  mo lewis just provided the excuse.

7 minutes ago, sciond said:

Actually, the Bellichek sucked with the Browns scenario is somewhat over-blown.  That team was a disaster with an aging QB, and he helped turn it around into a play off team.  His staff there was one of the best coaching staffs assembled in football history, but that team took a nosedive when they announced the move.  Prior to the start of his last season, there was some Superbowl buzz around that team so it wasn't like a Dick Kotite era thing where it just sucked.  

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Losing every game is not a way to build a program. All it does is enforce a culture of losing. 

There's no such thing as a successful rebuild in the NFL. It's literally never happened

certain teams got bad for a year at the right time (Luck, Eli) but teams like the Browns have been "rebuilding" since their inception. 

Specifically the most annoying thing about the current situation is the QB stuff. people pretend like Hack is going to be awesome, that dude isn't even good enough to beat out mcCown. They could have drafted a QB to compete like Watson and given us hope. Instead, they drafted safeties and sold us on the idea that losing every game this year would be the best way forward. 

here's the real truth: This franchise is killing time until Brady retires and not even trying. Woody can't even be bothered to stay in the country while it's happening. 

Bitonti I never mentioned losing every game or throwing the season but a bad season is very possible with a bad HC an unknown QB and a roster full of young players. Since we know Bowles is here for this season lets see if he can motivate these kids and coach them up to some wins . If I see the guy improve that's great but up to this point Ive seen the guy go backwards.

18 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

i get the same feeling.  i guess the biggest issue with bowles is that his side of the field was really sucky last season and wasn't all that great the year before.  i'll give him some slack with dealing with players like revis because he's never held the top spot but he has to show some jump this season.  and he may say that missing team meetings is no big deal (to the press) but i hope he lays some wood on the players that do.

Actually, the Bellichek sucked with the Browns scenario is somewhat over-blown.  That team was a disaster with an aging QB, and he helped turn it around into a play off team.  His staff there was one of the best coaching staffs assembled in football history, but that team took a nosedive when they announced the move.  Prior to the start of his last season, there was some Superbowl buzz around that team so it wasn't like a Dick Kotite era thing where it just sucked.  

Looking back at people would agree. However nobody thought that back then.

Sent from my LEX727 using JetNation.com mobile app

I can see Woody and Macc turn on Bowles this year if Bowles plan and execution is not competitive.  Bowles is relatively easy to separate from Mac given his game responsibilties.

Macc then goes when Woody realizes that he is not making Woody look good.  Woody then retires to Florida and hires a real person to sell the team when he realizes that he needs to for estate planning purposes.

15 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Not sure if you heard but 20 of 21 draft picks are gonna be on this cleverly designed 3-13 squad homey get up

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

uh, i think the bellichicken knew early on that brady was going to take over for bledsoe.  mo lewis just provided the excuse.

Bledsoe was Parcell's QB. Belichick drafted Brady. BB wasn't interested in Tuna's creation, he wanted to develop his own. 

It bothers me that this regime has acquired very little top end talent. 3 years in and the most important positions are filled with JAGs.

It bothers me that we seem to be drafting players that specifically fit Bowles' scheme. This wouldn't be a problem if Bowles was a good HC. He's not.

It bothers me that our HC seems scared to play young QB's, and relies on veteran retreads who have proven time and again that they can't lead a team anywhere.

21 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i get the same feeling.  i guess the biggest issue with bowles is that his side of the field was really sucky last season and wasn't all that great the year before.  i'll give him some slack with dealing with players like revis because he's never held the top spot but he has to show some jump this season.  and he may say that missing team meetings is no big deal (to the press) but i hope he lays some wood on the players that do.

I'll never give Bowles a pass.  Revis was obviously mailing it in last year and should have been benched.  I would have liked to see his ass embarrassed with a benching and to send that message out to the rest of the team.  Revis Island, a healthy bench due to lack of interest.    

28 minutes ago, win4ever said:

This is true, but blaming all of his failure on the Browns tanking when they found out they were moving thing is overblown too.  True, they only won one game after they announced the move, but they had already lost 4 of their last 5 with the only win being OT against the Bengals.

Ozzie Newsome is no idiot and he seemed happy enough to dump Belichick and roll with Marchibroda.

Let me give some observations from Bowles 2015 to Bowles 2016. And I'm not supporting Bowles by any means.

2015 had a relatively soft season however the defense blitzed like a banchee. Why? Because secondary man coverage was successful. And the defense was very, very good.

2016 the secondary was unsuccessful in man coverage and Bowles adjusted to less blitzes and a stay at home read defensive line. That defensive scheme failed epically. Also the schedule was rough. Bowles had such great success with Fitz....record TD's. Marshall,Decker tendem....record dual receivers stats. He thought he had the formula for a winning Offense. So Bowles line of reason was go with what worked in 2015. And stay with it. Thus the Jets sucked in 2016. So the reason the Jets went secondary in DP's 1 and 2 IMHO is to try and get back to his bread and butter defensive blitz schemes. So I'm not expecting much from Bowles this year but I hope I'm surprised.

What bothers me most about the 2017 season, aside from Bowles, is the lack of stud infusion in the offensive line. A solid O-Line can cover a multitude of young QB sins. If these QB's don't have time to go through their progressions and are running for their life everytime they drop back to pass, it's going to be a long agonizing season.

1 hour ago, jetrider said:

Bledsoe was Parcell's QB. Belichick drafted Brady. BB wasn't interested in Tuna's creation, he wanted to develop his own. 

Thats nonsense....  Brady was a 6th round pick.  He was never on BB's radar as far as I have heard.

If Bledsoe played solid and did not get hurt, Brady would never have seen the field.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We're in year one of a rebuild and year three of a regime. We have the worst team in the league. What bothers me most about the current situation is goddamn everything.

I have no idea how anyone can have a different answer. 

Does anyone feel Mariota, Goff, or Wentz, or Trubisky s a legitimate top level stud QB and was willing to trade what would need to be traded to get any of them, and wait out their progress patiently? If so you're one of the folks that can legitimately feel bothered, and you still may have been wrong. Otherwise there were no options to make this a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ohhhh where do i start

Corn meal all over bottom of pizza...wtf when didthat start

People who talk Twitter...fkg losers

Media...how bout just reporting facts for a change and dispense with your meaningless predictions and opinions

Lose pants on girls...wtf happened to the days their pants so tight u could count the pubes

Ice cream...why the fck doesn't it melt anymore

Getting old sucks

2 hours ago, sciond said:

Shake your head until it falls off. The OP is spot on. You are comparing filet mignon to spam. Ok BB failed his first HC job, but he won how many SB's as DC? 2 I think, right? Carroll won how many National titles at USC? What has this guy won ever? He has ZERO CACHE. He brings Nothing. Nada. Zip. What Jet player, former or present has improved one iota since Bubba Gump Bowltite got here? I cannot believe, after watching last season that any real Jet fan could want this guy to remain HC for another minute, let alone another season. I understand continuity, absolutely, but does anyone want continuity of what went on here last season? Want continuity of his one word answers with attitude after every loss? Guys like you crack me up, it is as though you relish losing or something. Just so you know, the constant and continuous losing has affected me so much, I can almost not even bear to watch anymore. I mean for what, to listen to this idiot say Ryan Fitzpatrick gave him the best chance to win in week 17 at 4-11? Or to justify kicking a FG down 41-0 after being made to look like an amateur? Or after having his pants pulled down in front of National TV several times? But don't fear, our owner is clueless and you will not have to worry about your guy being fired, he is here I'm sure for the next 5 years at least.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

Thats nonsense....  Brady was a 6th round pick.  He was never on BB's radar as far as I have heard.

If Bledsoe played solid and did not get hurt, Brady would never have seen the field.

But after finishing 5-11 and starting the next season 0-2 Bledsoe's days were numbered even without the injury.

Going into year 3 my biggest complaint is the total lack of hope.   Right now we all pretty much accept that this team is going to suck in '17 and we aren't building around a young nucleus, we just lack talent and suck.   The most optimistic Jet fans are rooting for 0-16 and a shot at darnold...that pretty much says everything.  

To get into specifics, my 3 biggest problems with this regime: 

1.  3 years in and we are heading to camp with petty, hack, and mccown at the most important position in all of sports.   How is that possible?  A 12 year old, or anyone on this board could have done a better job in 3 off-seasons.   

2.  No pass rusher, no LT.   next in line of importance to QB is rushing the QB and protecting the QB.   it's like Macc doesn't get the game or something but this team has neglected the 3 most important positions and focused on depth + safeties.   

3.  Not benching Revis.   Forget Bowles total lack of in-game awareness (like punting vs. Pit or kicking a FG at 0-41) - watching revis avoid contact was a total embarrassment and the whole world saw that on film.   Once the team realized that there was no penalty for lack of effort the season was effectively over.   Bowles lost the lockerroom because he was afraid to lose the locker room.   

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

There has been a very casual approach about the need for a good offense generally and an effective passing attack specifically. Not only could they have picked an actual QB, they could have shored up the OL. Not sure what the point is to "improving" the defense if by design they will be on the field all day.   Let me stress again; these 2 safeties may be very good, but a team this bereft of offensive talent has no business taking 2 safeties with their top 2 picks. It's indefensible idiocy.And it says that the moron HC has waaaayyyyy too big a say in the draft. If Bowles is such a defensive genius, why does he need 2 brand new safeties? Can he coach up ANYONE on this defense? 

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

yes but he was afraid to make the change and lose the locker room

4 hours ago, jetrider said:

uh, fair enough but when you take a qb with the 6th pick it's not exactly a sure thing.  my point is that bledsoe's days were numbered when the bellichicken started looking at brady in camp. 

Archived