What Bothers You Most About the Current Situation ?

Smashmouth

58 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The only thing that really bothers me is how so few people think the Jets are going to be good this year. Yet when it happens so many won't admit they were nervous.

Max I agree ..I think when you are dealing with young hungry players there's always the chance things can turn around ...The problem is I don't have faith Bowles is the type of coach to pull this off. If Harbaugh was here, then that's another story

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Max I agree ..I think when you are dealing with young hungry players there's always the chance things can turn around ...The problem is I don't have faith Bowles is the type of coach to pull this off. If Harbaugh was here, then that's another story

Bowles has to get better. No denying that.

Year 1 - week 17, Bowles was bad. Ivory active, big run, no other carries. What the hell. 

Year 2 - Bowles screwed it up the second year 1 ended by saying Fitz was the starter.

He has the speed he wants on defense now. This defense either disrupts things while the offense figures out a minor issue called the QB position -OR- Bowles fails.

I think he will get better.

Just now, Maxman said:

Bowles has to get better. No denying that.

Year 1 - week 17, Bowles was bad. Ivory active, big run, no other carries. What the hell. 

Year 2 - Bowles screwed it up the second year 1 ended by saying Fitz was the starter.

He has the speed he wants on defense now. This defense either disrupts things while the offense figures out a minor issue called the QB position -OR- Bowles fails.

I think he will get better.

I hope he does Max Just Like I hope Hack can pull off a stunner and give us the QB we have needed for 47 years

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I hope he does Max Just Like I hope Hack can pull off a stunner and give us the QB we have needed for 47 years

This will read like a shameless plug, but I am excited to see the camp reports this year from @KRL and @AFJF. We actually just brought on another writer that will be covering camp (announcement coming soon). But having people reporting what is actually happening on the field is appealing. The Daily News and ESPN NY will have their agendas and it gets in the way of the coverage.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

This will read like a shameless plug, but I am excited to see the camp reports this year from @KRL and @AFJF. We actually just brought on another writer that will be covering camp (announcement coming soon). But having people reporting what is actually happening on the field is appealing. The Daily News and ESPN NY will have their agendas and it gets in the way of the coverage.

no shameless plug at all. You guys offer something that brings me to those practices I would other wise not have. I love this team and I love the service you guys provide to the fans. I enjoy reading AFJF material because we agree on so many topics so that means I'm getting information from a true fan who feels similar to how I feel which is all I can ask for at this stage. I can't go to any practices since I live in Texas for the past 25 years :) so you keep plugging brother keep plugging

what bothers me most is that last season, we didn't stop the run and we quit. With all the bad seasons with Rex Ryan, we always stopped the run at least, and we didn't quit. Bad teams like Cleveland at least compete every game. We didn't compete. We haven't been able to stop the pass for years, but last year's inability to stop the run too makes the games even more unbearable. Aren't we at least supposed to have a good DL? After that first Cinci game, it looked like we would be beasts in pass rushing and the DL would be a force. But it was all downhill after that...    Steven Hill also had a good first game.

13 hours ago, roscoeword said:

what bothers me most is that last season, we didn't stop the run and we quit. With all the bad seasons with Rex Ryan, we always stopped the run at least, and we didn't quit. Bad teams like Cleveland at least compete every game. We didn't compete. We haven't been able to stop the pass for years, but last year's inability to stop the run too makes the games even more unbearable. Aren't we at least supposed to have a good DL? After that first Cinci game, it looked like we would be beasts in pass rushing and the DL would be a force. But it was all downhill after that...    Steven Hill also had a good first game.

The players never gave up on Rex the way they did last year

It's all good.  Come January Macc, Bowles, McCown and Hackenturd will all be gone

On 5/21/2017 at 2:39 AM, roscoeword said:

I don't think they quit. I think they were a lot of veterans that just expired. And they were all cut.

Bowles never really had an answer on defense once Revis became 10% of the player he used to be. Which is why I thought Kacy should have been fired. They went in another direction and that is okay, because if the defense struggles this year, there are no excuses. Bowles will be fired.

18 hours ago, thadude said:

The players never gave up on Rex the way they did last year

It's all good.  Come January Macc, Bowles, McCown and Hackenturd will all be gone

lol, yes they did. More than once. 

If you want to be good at trolling, you have to pose preposterous arguments that are less easy to shrug off. 

The organizational tree is built for utter failure.  The owner has his mind on things other than the team.  The coach and gm are on even footing and report independently to the owner.  Sooner or later one will be seen as back stabbing the other,

Also the GM is trying to build the team to suit the head coach who is another one of these great gurus that are good,.,.as long as you provide them with a host of probowlers via high picks and fa dollars.

Mac is going down with the ship sooner or later because he is pandering to an awful head coach,

24 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The organizational tree is built for utter failure.  The owner has his mind on things other than the team.  The coach and gm are on even footing and report independently to the owner.  Sooner or later one will be seen as back stabbing the other,

Also the GM is trying to build the team to suit the head coach who is another one of these great gurus that are good,.,.as long as you provide them with a host of probowlers via high picks and fa dollars.

Mac is going down with the ship sooner or later because he is pandering to an awful head coach,

very similar to Tannenbaum's pandering to Rex. I agree...  Just a terrible organizational structure.  Designed for failure no matter who is in place.

46 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

don't forget Woody said Macc and Bowles are on the same level so Bowles has just as much a say in who they draft as Macc does which is ridiculous 

fans that buy into terrible coaches and gms and want us to wait 3-5 years when the regime  has no history of winning. I wonder what some folks do for a  living that they tolerate and justify incompetence year in and year out.

I understand having hope but some jet fans are delusional -this team is awful -our coach is awful and our gm has been awful-our roster is one of the worst if not the worst in the league no matter how much you try and talk up some scrub that would not be starting on any other team.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

fans that buy into terrible coaches and gms and want us to wait 3-5 years when the regime  has no history of winning. I wonder what some folks do for a  living that they tolerate and justify incompetence year in and year out.

I understand having hope but some jet fans are delusional -this team is awful -our coach is awful and our gm has been awful-our roster is one of the worst if not the worst in the league no matter how much you try and talk up some scrub that would not be starting on any other team.

In my job if I was as bad as Macc and Bowles I would have already been fired

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

don't forget Woody said Macc and Bowles are on the same level so Bowles has just as much a say in who they draft as Macc does which is ridiculous 

Lee, Adams and Maye picks all  have Bowles written all over them

12 minutes ago, RJIII said:

Problem 1A - Bowles, Problem 1B - Not drafting Mahomes II

I think the Jets did the right thing not drafting Mahomes II or Watson. 

Those two QBs had great potential but need development.  I think in the life cycle of an NFL team, a team that is otherwise good needs to invest a 1st round pick or better in a successor QB that can be developed behind the starter.  That is what KC is doing.  Because they were picking so late, they needed to trade up.   But they can add a QB like that now because they have already drafted many good players and have a good roster.  The point Mac is making, which is not a bad one, is that it does not make sense to invest heavily in a QB when your roster is weak.  You should build the roster first.   If you have a strong roster, maybe you get a veteran to come play for you (like Denver did with Manning).

4 hours ago, thadude said:

Lee, Adams and Maye picks all  have Bowles written all over them

Who would you want the GM to draft players for, the HC that takes over or the next GM who will hire the next HC.

3 hours ago, varjet said:

I agree completely with this.  I can see these picks being made based on majority vote of Woody, Bowles and Macc.

Bowles loves tweeners.  The problem with not having a position is sometimes those people aren't actually good at anything

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Who would you want the GM to draft players for, the HC that takes over or the next GM who will hire the next HC.

I'd like my GM to pick players he wants and not listen to a brain dead DC whose defense stunk last year.

What bothers me most is TB as HC and KR as DC.  Irrespective of how many changes TB made to the coaching staff he is still the HC and has show no ability to learn on the job and get better... Indeed, if anything he has gotten worst from year 1 to 2 and what's worst for any coach at any level is ...losing the team.

I never want the JETS to lose but this year I can honestly say I do not expect much because of TB the actor playing the part as a HC. 

2015 really bothered me, bc of the expenses spent on free agents and the lack of building for the future.  Last year really bothered me bc we saw it all fall apart,the locker room seemed to fracture and few of our young players developed (and our vets regressed giving us essentially nothing in value).  

This year is the start of the real rebuild.  It's going to be miserable from an XO point of view, but at least it's the correct direction and I'll be looking for progress from our young guys...  that's my barometer for success.

What bothers me most is that the approach we are taking now is the one we should have taken two years ago.  Coming off of a 4-12 season in 2014.  New coach, new GM.  That was the time to commit to the rebuild, but instead, we spent a ton of money on a bunch of aging veterans who are no longer on the team.  And here we are two years into the Bowles-Macc regime and we still have huge questions about the most important positions in the game: QB, #1WR, Edge, a 31 year old feature back, #1CB, and question marks at both tackle positions.  

I am happy to see them finally commit to a rebuild.  I am excited to see what some of the young guys can do, but we should have done this two years ago.  Two wasted years -- thats what bothers me most.

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

What bothers me most is that the approach we are taking now is the one we should have taken two years ago.  Coming off of a 4-12 season in 2014.  New coach, new GM.  That was the time to commit to the rebuild, but instead, we spent a ton of money on a bunch of aging veterans who are no longer on the team.  And here we are two years into the Bowles-Macc regime and we still have huge questions about the most important positions in the game: QB, #1WR, Edge, a 31 year old feature back, #1CB, and question marks at both tackle positions.  

I am happy to see them finally commit to a rebuild.  I am excited to see what some of the young guys can do, but we should have done this two years ago.  Two wasted years -- thats what bothers me most.

I absolutely agree with this. 

What bothers me the most is this myth that "patient rebuilding" is the right path for the Jets.

The biggest success we had as a franchise is from 2000-2013 when we went crazy signing proven free agents to fill holes and only did marginally well in the draft.  In that 14 year span we had 6 playoff appearances, 8 winning seasons, 10 non-losing seasons, we were the 5th or 6th best team in the AFC in that period as far as having only 4 losing seasons, and that's with the legendary Belichick/Brady bloackage in our own division.

You look at these "patient rebuilding" teams who don't aggressively pursue free agents and you're looking at teams like the Browns, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders, etc. who have had (or are still in the middle of) these down periods of 20 years or more.

If you look at it big picture, for teams who don't have a bonafide franchise quarterback the way to get to winning and the playoffs is to spend money on validated, successful NFL players instead of betting the farm on draft picks.  That's who the Jets were since 2000, that's who the Jets are in 2017. 

Woody Johnson's soundbyte of "trying to do it differently" is a suicide mission unless you have 20 years of patience.  And look at the Cowboys, perhaps the epitome of doing it the so-called right way and finding a franchise quarterback, twice.  They're nowhere.  We should have stayed the course, should continue to be the Freewheelin' Free Agent Jets.

SAR I

Archived