Would you pay a Kings ransom for TOP QB Prospect next year?

BornJetsFan1983

Lets say we have a crap season but somehow win enough games to have a mid round pick, say number 12. There is supposedly 3 or 4 great QB prospects but they would all gone because other QB teams know not to pass up on possible franchise quarterback or just want to cash in!! 

Put your BigMac hat on and ask yourself would you spend the picks necessary to move up? A first rounder, plus next years, maybe the year after that too. Hell a couple 2nd and 4th rounders just to sweeten the pot and hopefully land the next Namath?

HELL YES I WOULD!! whatever it takes. Sanchez sucked and I don't know what we paid for him, but at least we took a shot. Building pieces are all well and good but we need that D. Carr/A. Luck type player to get us going in the other direction. And I get Carr probably wasn't drafted high at all, don't really know, but I for one firmly believe we don't have any damn chance in the world to get lucky and finding a late round starter with a damn late flyer on QB. 

We are going to have to pay if we want someone good, and pay at the JET premium to get one of the prospects next year and I am 100 % ok with paying a KINGS ransom to get him. A guy that could usher in a new Jets Era, who could represent for the first time in a long time the next great NYJ QB.

I fear Hack wont get the start until mid season and we will win 5-8 games. I had no problem this year when we didn't reach for a QB and chose to just fix our back end, but next year is crucial and the guys coming out are legit starters supposedly. Spend that money, take a chance MAC. I know I want you to.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My reply would be based on the offensive line play this season. If play is poor no if adequate yes. I base my argument on how many QB's have had their talent wasted by being exposed as tackling dummies. Even Luck can be placed in this category. And there arguably may have not been a better prospect in resent drafts. Just one persons opinion sure it will differ from many.

2 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Lets say we have a crap season but somehow win enough games to have a mid round pick, say number 12. There is supposedly 3 or 4 great QB prospects but they would all gone because other QB teams know not to pass up on possible franchise quarterback or just want to cash in!! 

Put your BigMac hat on and ask yourself would you spend the picks necessary to move up? A first rounder, plus next years, maybe the year after that too. Hell a couple 2nd and 4th rounders just to sweeten the pot and hopefully land the next Namath?

HELL YES I WOULD!! whatever it takes. Sanchez sucked and I don't know what we paid for him, but at least we took a shot. Building pieces are all well and good but we need that D. Carr/A. Luck type player to get us going in the other direction. And I get Carr probably wasn't drafted high at all, don't really know, but I for one firmly believe we don't have any damn chance in the world to get lucky and finding a late round starter with a damn late flyer on QB. 

We are going to have to pay if we want someone good, and pay at the JET premium to get one of the prospects next year and I am 100 % ok with paying a KINGS ransom to get him. A guy that could usher in a new Jets Era, who could represent for the first time in a long time the next great NYJ QB.

I fear Hack wont get the start until mid season and we will win 5-8 games. I had no problem this year when we didn't reach for a QB and chose to just fix our back end, but next year is crucial and the guys coming out are legit starters supposedly. Spend that money, take a chance MAC. I know I want you to.

you mean like ricky williams to the saint?  no effin way.  rb is a lot easier to find than a qb, especially an nfl caliber type.  we won't know how these supposed qb stubs pan out until it gets closer to the draft.  i can see some serious jockeying being done with their projected draft position.

If we are assuming that the draft process plays out and we love the guy in question...absolutely I'd pay through the nose for a FQB.

Here's the rub. Whoever is holding THAT pick won't be trading it for anything.

I mean theoretically if the Colts or Bucs or whoever end up with it and they already have their FQB on the roster, then they likely would be open to trading the pick, but the odds of that are so low.  Guys with FQBs don't lose 14 games in a season. Something would have to go horribly wrong there, like Luck gets an Achilles tear in camp or something.

1 minute ago, Lil Woody said:

If we are assuming that the draft process plays out and we love the guy in question...absolutely I'd pay through the nose for a FQB.

Here's the rub. Whoever is holding THAT pick won't be trading it for anything.

I mean theoretically if the Colts or Bucs or whoever end up with it and they already have their FQB on the roster, then they likely would be open to trading the pick, but the odds of that are so low.  Guys with FQBs don't lose 14 games in a season. Something would have to go horribly wrong there, like Luck gets an Achilles tear in camp or something.

Things like that can happen.  Say Winston needs surgery on his non-throwing shoulder.    Fitz comes in, BAM, you have the 1st pick in the draft.

Your right though , it won't be cheap

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

This team is so ******* bad there's no way they're not top five. 

Top 3. Only the Browns or Niners could possibly get a higher pick.  Rams will be much better with Goff. They have a stellar defense. The Bills were 7-9. Cant see them going lower than that.  The Chargers were incredibly 5-11 just like us. But the Chargers have a brutal schedule but lost many close games last year so they are extremely competitive.  Plus then have a QB whose good for at least 3-4 wins alone.  Key game Jets vs. Chargers @ NY. The Jags were horrible last year 3-13. That will not happen again. Marrone is a very good coach and this team is stacked with crazy young talent. Darnold or Allen. Niners and Shannahan will sign Cousins. We may have to deal picks to move up to #1 or #2.

9 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I absolutely wouldnt pay a king's ransom to get any of those QB's. Here's why you dont do it. 

There are the list of the QB's taken with the 1st pick of the draft the past 30 years. 

1. Jared Goff

2. Jameis Wilson

3. Andrew Luck

4. Cam Newton

5. Sam Bradford- Bust

6. Matt Stafford

7. JaMarcus Russell- Bust

8. Alex Smith- middle of the pack

9. Eli Manning- SB winner

10. David Carr- victim of circumstance but still a bust

11. Mike Vick

12. Tim Couch- Bust

13. Peyton Manning- SB winner

14. Jeff George- Bust

15. Troy Aikman- SB winner

16. Vinny Testaverde Middle of the pack

Of the 16 QB's, only 3 have won the Superbowl. You do have a couple who've made it to the dance but lost (Cam, George) and you do have a couple here who are considered legit franchise QB's, but what people must remember is if you give up a king's ransom to get your guy you're INSTANTLY putting that QB in a bad position. Why? 

#1. He could end up being a bust and wasnt worth the trade.

#2. He could end up being just a middle of the pack guy and wasnt worth the trade

#3. He could end up being great but you've traded away all of your draft picks because you mortgaged your future in order to get him so you cant build around him. 

#4. If the Jets win 5 or 6 games they're pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick. Most of the QB's that have won superbowls or are considered "ELITE" in this league werent taken with the 1st pick of the draft, they were taken in the mid first (Roethlisberger), late first (Rodgers), 2nd round (Brees) 3rd round (WIlson) 6th round (Brady) etc. 

#5. During the last 30 years, half of the 1st overall picks have been QB's yet only 3 have won superbowls (Manning brothers, Troy Aikman), and we have more busts drafted with the 1st pick than we do superbowl winners (5 total busts). 

The odds of these "cant miss prospects" being any good are slim. They're always "franchise QB's" until you mortgage your future, draft a guy like RG3 then end up getting your franchise guy during the same damn draft in the 4th round (Kirk Cousins). 

You dont pay a King's ransom, period. You evaluate the talent, let foolish teams like the Rams move up to take a guy like Goff and you sit and find the guy with skills that's being overlooked. 

I don't give up a king's ransom but understand that there are good QBs in that first round that all can't go top 5. You pick the best available. Giving up everything for a prospective franchise qb never works, whether that's because of desperate scouting or because it creates a talent void idk but it doesn't work. If you can get Luke Falk from 9-12 next year you take it and count your blessings.

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

You dont pay a King's ransom, period. You evaluate the talent, let foolish teams like the Rams move up to take a guy like Goff and you sit and find the guy with skills that's being overlooked. 

You should make this your signature before someone steals it .

3 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I absolutely wouldnt pay a king's ransom to get any of those QB's. Here's why you dont do it. 

There are the list of the QB's taken with the 1st pick of the draft the past 30 years. 

1. Jared Goff

2. Jameis Wilson

3. Andrew Luck

4. Cam Newton

5. Sam Bradford- Bust

6. Matt Stafford

7. JaMarcus Russell- Bust

8. Alex Smith- middle of the pack

9. Eli Manning- SB winner

10. David Carr- victim of circumstance but still a bust

11. Mike Vick

12. Tim Couch- Bust

13. Peyton Manning- SB winner

14. Jeff George- Bust

15. Troy Aikman- SB winner

16. Vinny Testaverde Middle of the pack

Of the 16 QB's, only 3 have won the Superbowl. You do have a couple who've made it to the dance but lost (Cam, George) and you do have a couple here who are considered legit franchise QB's, but what people must remember is if you give up a king's ransom to get your guy you're INSTANTLY putting that QB in a bad position. Why? 

#1. He could end up being a bust and wasnt worth the trade.

#2. He could end up being just a middle of the pack guy and wasnt worth the trade

#3. He could end up being great but you've traded away all of your draft picks because you mortgaged your future in order to get him so you cant build around him. 

#4. If the Jets win 5 or 6 games they're pretty much guaranteed a top 10 pick. Most of the QB's that have won superbowls or are considered "ELITE" in this league werent taken with the 1st pick of the draft, they were taken in the mid first (Roethlisberger), late first (Rodgers), 2nd round (Brees) 3rd round (WIlson) 6th round (Brady) etc. 

#5. During the last 30 years, half of the 1st overall picks have been QB's yet only 3 have won superbowls (Manning brothers, Troy Aikman), and we have more busts drafted with the 1st pick than we do superbowl winners (5 total busts). 

The odds of these "cant miss prospects" being any good are slim. They're always "franchise QB's" until you mortgage your future, draft a guy like RG3 then end up getting your franchise guy during the same damn draft in the 4th round (Kirk Cousins). 

You pay whatever it takes.  

Much of what you stated is true but point #3 is simply wrong.  You have 15 years to build a team around him.  The first 3 years are his time to learn anyway -let him take his lumps but stick with him..  The fact many first round and second round picks bust - there's just a good a chance that whoever you do end up taking (with the ransom picks) will bust too.

Until you find the QB everything is meaningless, floating in football purgatory.  Get the QB and start building.

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

You should make this your signature before someone steals it .

It's sad to see bad teams making the same bad mistakes. The Rams did all that moving and Dak was sitting right there. The Eagles did the exact same thing with Wentz. Now the Wentz move only looks good today because of Teddy Bridgewater going down. However the Eagles made the same stupid move and was only saved because Min decided to trade a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford. 

Redskins made that stupid move (Rg3) but they were able to save face by drafting cousins and hiding him. Imagine if the would have simply kept their picks and drafted cousins and sat him for a few years behind a FA qb? 

Every time we see king ransoms or teams sucking for a guy (Colts) it never works out...probably because these teams are stupid enough to be influenced with the false statement of franchise QB's win championships...when the reality is that complete teams win championships more often than not. 

It's a shame really. 

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Much of what you stated is true but point #3 is simply wrong.  You have 15 years to build a team around him.  The first 3 years are his time to learn anyway -let him take his lumps but stick with him..  The fact many first round and second round picks bust - there's just a good a chance that whoever you do end up taking (with the ransom picks) will bust too.

Until you find the QB everything is meaningless, floating in football purgatory.  Get the QB and start building.

In the barber chair now. Will get back to this in about an hour

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And if those 1st 3 years include a torn Labrum or a busted ACL because you haven't acquired decent talent around what you chased .

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

It's sad to see bad teams making the same bad mistakes. The Rams did all that moving and Dak was sitting right there. The Eagles did the exact same thing with Wentz. Now the Wentz move only looks good today because of Teddy Bridgewater going down. However the Eagles made the same stupid move and was only saved because Min decided to trade a 1st round pick for Sam Bradford. 

Redskins made that stupid move (Rg3) but they were able to save face by drafting cousins and hiding him. Imagine if the would have simply kept their picks and drafted cousins and sat him for a few years behind a FA qb? 

Every time we see king ransoms or teams sucking for a guy (Colts) it never works out...probably because these teams are stupid enough to be influenced with the false statement of franchise QB's win championships...when the reality is that complete teams win championships more often than not. 

It's a shame really. 

Exactly . Peyton Manning is considered the greatest QB or one of the top 3 in league history, yet it took a loaded defensive Broncos team to help him win his 2nd SB and a defense that couldn't stop the run all year to suddenly become the Steel Curtin during a playoff run for him to win his 1st SB . Eli Manning is considered a borderline HOF yet he together with inspired defensive play won 2 SBs .

Then there's Andrew Luck, considered a once in a generation type talent who's recovering from injuries that almost ended his career  . All the weapons in the world around him, and an Offensive line that can't protect him . Finally, there's Russell Wilson, a QB who's nothing special, just makes plays when a play needs to be made . Surrounded by an all world defense, clutch but not spectacular offensive weapons and one of the best hardest running  RBs  the league has witness in years getting to 2 SBs and bring home 1 .

Teams win Championships, not all world QBs who take up so much of your cap that you can't field a decent team . 

Archived