QB dept. : " a Long-Range view of the Jets' chances for Sam Darnold or Josh Allen " ~ ~ ~

kelly

You're supposed to go one game at a time in the NFL, but it's hard not to peek into the future when you're talking about the New York Jets' quarterback situation. So here's a futuristic question from the weekly mailbag :

@RichCimini #jetsmail #NYJ, if in 2017 go 5-11, have the sixth pick next year, do they have enough ammunition to move up a grab a top QB in 2018 Draft?

@RichCimini  : Never in all my years of covering the Jets have I seen so much early interest in the following year's draft, but this is the new reality and there's no sense in pretending it doesn't exist. Chances are it will be a storyline throughout the season, especially if the quarterback struggles continue.

The answer to your question hinges on how many so-called elite quarterbacks are in the 2018 draft. In his recent Way-Too-Early Big Board, ESPN's Mel Kiper, Jr. lists Sam Darnold, Josh Allen and Josh Rosen -- all underclassmen -- among the top seven prospects. Taking it a step further, colleague Todd McShay has them going 1-2-3 in his way-too-early mock draft.From talking to scouts, I can tell you there's a lot of fascination with Allen, who could wind up being the No. 1 quarterback prospect. Instead of a "Suck for Sam" campaign, maybe disgruntled Jets fans should change adopt, "Junk for Josh."

So much can happen between now and then, but let's say Allen, Darnold and Rosen enter the draft and emerge as premier prospects. To jump from No. 6 overall to No. 3, the Jets probably would have to give up their second- and fourth-round picks, based on the trade value chart. The price could get higher because that's how it goes when there's a quarterback involved, but I don't think it would be prohibitive for the Jets.

Don't forget, folks: The Buffalo Bills have two first-round picks, which will make them big players if they enter the quarterback market.

I know some fans want the Jets to stink to the high heavens so they can secure the No. 1 pick. Believe me, they're not trying to do that. They want to see what they have in Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty before investing a high pick in another quarterback.

If they go 1-15, there probably will be a new regime in place, looking to draft its own quarterback. If the Jets finish 8-8, it probably means Hackenberg (or Petty) showed enough promise to warrant a vote of confidence. The worst outcome would be your scenario, which essentially amounts to no-man's land. I still think they'd get one of the top quarterbacks, but they'd have to pay extra.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/68863/a-long-range-view-of-the-jets-chances-for-sam-darnold-or-josh-allen

Jets get sixth pick. Bills, at number 9, easily trade up to 5 with Chicago for the third and last big QB. Jets fan, in his authentic Jamal Adams jersey, wonders why this stuff keeps happening to him, then spends next six months on the internet yelling at people that picking a rangy DE at six was actually the better move anyway.

19 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

Does the quality of QB really drop that far from the tree after the first 3? There is always a Trubisky that no one forecasted to be on the radar.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

It's always been a crap shoot I know a 3rd rd pick and a 6th rd pick that have 9 rings between them..:)

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets get sixth pick. Bills, at number 9, easily trade up to 5 with Chicago for the third and last big QB. Jets fan, in his authentic Jamal Adams jersey, wonders why this stuff keeps happening to him, then spends next six months on the internet yelling at people that picking a rangy DE at six was actually the better move anyway.

Three years from now, when QB 'X", taken with pick #5 is out of the NFL, and the Pugula's are on coach # 4, we will hear them complaining that "we should have stayed put in 2017 and just taken Watson. At least he's a viable #3 QB in this league." And the Jets fan, in his new authentic Hackenberg jersey, will sit back and laugh, as Hackenberg takes the Jets to consecutive playoff appearances and are the odds on favorites to win the AFC east . Again.

With between $60M and $80M (if they cut a few players) in cap space next year (plus perhaps some rollover from this year) I don't think losing some draft picks is going to matter much. They can buy the players they want. I just hope we don't sign any idiot contracts that kill us later on. 

With this much cap space I'm not buying the current "we're going to build through the draft" speak.... big spending will go on next year.

With between $60M and $80M (if they cut a few players) in cap space next year (plus perhaps some rollover from this year) I don't think losing some draft picks is going to matter much. They can buy the players they want. I just hope we don't sign any idiot contracts that kill us later on. 
With this much cap space I'm not buying the current "we're going to build through the draft" speak.... big spending will go on next year.

Wonder if they would consider a Kirk Cousins...Mac had interest in him before. It's highly unlikely he will resign with Washington and they won't franchise him again. He will be 29 next year which is still a good age for a QB. With all the cap room he could be looked at especially if the jets don't find themselves in a spot to get a decent QB in the draft. Just sayin.

Another thing to consider is the 49ers are someone who would have a lot of interest next year in cousins,. Which even with a crappy record would take them out if the top 3 QB sweepstakes.

11 hours ago, section314 said:

Three years from now, when QB 'X", taken with pick #5 is out of the NFL, and the Pugula's are on coach # 4, we will hear them complaining that "we should have stayed put in 2017 and just taken Watson. At least he's a viable #3 QB in this league." And the Jets fan, in his new authentic Hackenberg jersey, will sit back and laugh, as Hackenberg takes the Jets to consecutive playoff appearances and are the odds on favorites to win the AFC east . Again.

You need to stop playing so much Madden. It's a great game but you're becoming delusional. :eek:

My preference would be to draft our own QB and have him be our franchise guy for about 15 years. But if we lose out on Darnold, Allen, Rosen etc...trying to sign Garoppolo would be huge.

Belichecks reluctance to trade him is all you need to know about how good he is.  

10 hours ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Those dollars go quick and Mac doesn't exactly have a good eye. Ennie Minnie Minee Moe catch a nickel by the toe. In other words, he's Over His Head. 

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

My preference would be to draft our own QB and have him be our franchise guy for about 15 years. But if we lose out on Darnold, Allen, Rosen etc...trying to sign Garoppolo would be huge.

Belichecks reluctance to trade him is all you need to know about how good he is.  

I was all in on taking Jimmy G but NO, we had GGGGeno. You can't make this stuff up. 

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Josh Allen put up Hackenberg numbers in the Mountain West last season.

Not really.  Allen totalled 3700 yards last year, Hack's high was about 2900.  Hack also got worse as he got older.

10 hours ago, Powpow said:

I was all in on taking Jimmy G but NO, we had GGGGeno. You can't make this stuff up. 

Jimmy G, Derek Carr, and Terry Bridgewater I wanted in the second about as bad as one could want a player drafted.

I hated the Geno pick. But, maybe Garoppolo wouldn't have developed as wel anyway under Rex/Morningweig.

Either way, Jimmy G will be hitting the market next year and if we can't get in position to draft one or two, he should be our target.

16 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Jimmy G, Derek Carr, and Terry Bridgewater I wanted in the second about as bad as one could want a player drafted.

I hated the Geno pick. But, maybe Garoppolo wouldn't have developed as wel anyway under Rex/Morningweig.

Either way, Jimmy G will be hitting the market next year and if we can't get in position to draft one or two, he should be our target.

Didn't hate the Geno pick. More like despised it. Thank God that insufferable POS is outta here.  Mac should have exiled him immediately. I wasn't crazy about Carr but wouldn't have pulled my hair out if he were taken. Turns out the kid is the real deal. Teddy was definitely someone we should have taken given the circumstances we were experiencing. Too bad he was injured.  As far as Jimmy G is concerned, it's really puzzling why Belicheat didn't trade him this offseason. Do they get a comp pick if he leaves after next year? Can't see him resigning with Pats again. Or has Brady let it be known to Belicheat he's retiring sooner than later? ?

58 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I can honestly say that I wanted Carr, but had zero interest in the others... including Geno.

46 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Didn't hate the Geno pick. More like despised it. Thank God that insufferable POS is outta here.  Mac should have exiled him immediately. I wasn't crazy about Carr but wouldn't have pulled my hair out if he were taken. Turns out the kid is the real deal. Teddy was definitely someone we should have taken given the circumstances we were experiencing. Too bad he was injured.  As far as Jimmy G is concerned, it's really puzzling why Belicheat didn't trade him this offseason. Do they get a comp pick if he leaves after next year? Can't see him resigning with Pats again. Or has Brady let it be known to Belicheat he's retiring sooner than later? ?

I think belicheck knows, all it takes is one play and Brady could be out for the year. But he believes they could still win it with Jimmy G. 

Or if Brady had a bad career ending injury, he could keep Jimmy.

USC Qbs usually fail for the same reason Alabama QB's usually fail: Their college team is jacked with first rounders at every position and makes them look better than they really are. It was the story with Sanchez, Leinart, like every one of these USC QBs.  The only decent USC Qb was Carson Palmer and he won the Heisman. If Sam Darnold wins the Heisman we can revisit the situation otherwise it's likely fool's gold. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

USC Qbs usually fail for the same reason Alabama QB's usually fail: Their college team is jacked with first rounders at every position and makes them look better than they really are. It was the story with Sanchez, Leinart, like every one of these USC QBs.  The only decent USC Qb was Carson Palmer and he won the Heisman. If Sam Darnold wins the Heisman we can revisit the situation otherwise it's likely fool's gold. 

Spot on with the assessment. Think you can add that teams that draft these QB's over estimate where they are in their development and expect to much from them as far as carrying the offense. By doing this they have reduced the talent levels around them. Another factor is the desire to be the best or just hit a big payday. NFL rules regarding paying top draft picks has helped reduce this in resent years. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I think belicheck knows, all it takes is one play and Brady could be out for the year. But he believes they could still win it with Jimmy G. 

Or if Brady had a bad career ending injury, he could keep Jimmy.

True but Jimmy G has waited long enough. Can't see him sign for another year unless he knows the job is his in 2018. 

Archived