Mo Wilkerson #19th Highest Paid in the NFL

BurnleyJet

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000809063/nfls-biggest-contracts-for-2017

Only Von Miller on more money for a Defensive player. Not bad for 4 Sacks.

Terrible Contract.

1) Andrew Luck, Indianapolis Colts - $24,594,000

2) Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - $24,250,000

3) Kirk Cousins, Washington Redskins - $23,943,600

4) Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens - $22,133,333

5) Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers - $22,000,000

6) Russell Wilson, Seattle Seahawks - $21,900,000

7) Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - $21,850,000

8) Carson Palmer, Arizona Cardinals - $21,000,000

9) Eli Manning, New York Giants - $21,000,000

10) Philip Rivers, Los Angeles Chargers - $20,812,500

11) Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers - $20,760,000

12) Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons - $20,750,000

13) Tom Brady, New England Patriots - $20,500,000

14) Ryan Tannehill, Miami Dolphins - $19,250,000

15) Von Miller, Denver Broncos - $19,083,333

16) Brock Osweiler, Cleveland Browns - $18,000,00

17) Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions - $17,666,667

18) Sam Bradford, Minnesota Vikings - $17,500,000

19) Muhammad Wilkerson, New York Jets - $17,200,00

20) Fletcher Cox, Philadelphia Eagles - $17,100,000

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

Terrible Contract.

not worth it.  period.  note that the guys ahead save von miller are qb's.  it's pure bs.  wilk is probably on the way down and he's taking way too many team resources.

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

I get the hate but he got the going rate...

He should have been resigned earlier, however. And that would have cost less.

or traded..

He got WAY above the going rate.  How many other DT's or 3-4 DE's do you see in that group?

Even if he plays to his potential, which he's not, he doesn't belong in that group

Von Miller Won the Broncos a Super Bowl in his own. Everyone else is a QB on that list.

We got a lazy run stuffer, who's a 3-4 End, with 4 sacks. Should have kept snacks for half that, and got a third rounder in a comp pick.

Instead we are carrying this dead weight. Please do sign DE's to QB money, but make sure they are getting you at very least double digit Sacks every year! - J.J Watt is not even on the list, for Fook sake!

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

The NFL makes 13 billion dollars..... yeah Mo is really overpaid.  I love how the salary cap has the fans against the players.  Man these owners are smart.

It is about the value. The ROI is difficult to see. Right now that contract is terrible.

4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Von Miller Won the Broncos a Super Bowl in his own. Everyone else is a QB on that list.

We got a lazy run stuffer, who's a 3-4 End, with 4 sacks. Should have kept snacks for half that, and got a third rounder in a comp pick.

Instead we are carrying this dead weight. Please do sign DE's to QB money, but make sure they are getting you at very least double digit Sacks every year! - J.J Watt is not even on the list, for Fook sake!

That's what happens when every latest player to threaten to hit FA is rewarded with the highest contract for the position.  JJ Watt if due for his contract today would hit 20M. It's all about timing. It's a stupid system. Cox got paid before Mo and then Mo had to get more than Cox.  Just like when we were trying to sign Revis and Asomoguah got 20M per. 

I like Mo, I think he will rebound. But I didn't want to have to pay that much for him. 3-4 DEs shouldn't cost the same as 4-3 DEs. But the Jets just love having great interior defensive players. DL, ILB, S.  Who needs to focus on corners and edge rushers anyway?

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

That's what happens when every latest player to threaten to hit FA is rewarded with the highest contract for the position.  JJ Watt if due for his contract today would hit 20M. It's all about timing. It's a stupid system. Cox got paid before Mo and then Mo had to get more than Cox.  Just like when we were trying to sign Revis and Asomoguah got 20M per. 

I like Mo, I think he will rebound. But I didn't want to have to pay that much for him. 3-4 DEs shouldn't cost the same as 4-3 DEs. But the Jets just love having great interior defensive players. DL, ILB, S.  Who needs to focus on corners and edge rushers anyway?

Teams that like to Win Rings.

13 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Terrible Contract.

gjx1b.jpg

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Mo quits again this year, that should be the thing to trigger a Bowles firing. I can't imagine Maccagnan will want to take the heat for Mo's contract when it seems likely the somnambulant coach is the reason he sucks.

To be fair, Mo also had the best year of his career under Bowles, hence the contract. But I hear where you are going with this. A coach's job is to get the most out of his players, not the least.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If Mo quits again this year, that should be the thing to trigger a Bowles firing. I can't imagine Maccagnan will want to take the heat for Mo's contract when it seems likely the somnambulant coach is the reason he sucks.

57 minutes ago, section314 said:

To be fair, Mo also had the best year of his career under Bowles, hence the contract. But I hear where you are going with this. A coach's job is to get the most out of his players, not the least.

Though I never agreed with the contract, and I did notice that he had by far his worst season last year along with being somewhat of an off the field problem, I have to give the benefit of the doubt here and say that the man broke his leg the last game of the season. He probably want 100%, and given what was going on with the team as a whole probably further demoralized him. It seems like Marshall was getting on everyone's nerves, the Fitz favoritism reached its peak, the Jets were losing badly, Revis stopped playing, Sheldon was Sheldon, the coaching staff mismanaged games and players etc. 

Im not trying to make an excuse for his contract, that contract was tragic and he should have been traded to Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon the moment we drafted Big Cat, but being that size, having to anchor, and deal with offensive linemen just from a physical standpoint he probably wasnt the same last year. 

I do believe that he'll have a better season, but even if he were to repeat his first season under Bowles, that contract was still outrageous. We should have let him walk or just tagged him with the money we ended up giving to Fitz. 

Maccagnan totally botched that situation for sure. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If you look at him close enough it actually looks like someone painted eyeballs on his closed eyelids. Like a college prank. 

2 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Though I never agreed with the contract, and I did notice that he had by far his worst season last year along with being somewhat of an off the field problem, I have to give the benefit of the doubt here and say that the man broke his leg the last game of the season. He probably want 100%, and given what was going on with the team as a whole probably further demoralized him. It seems like Marshall was getting on everyone's nerves, the Fitz favoritism reached its peak, the Jets were losing badly, Revis stopped playing, Sheldon was Sheldon, the coaching staff mismanaged games and players etc. 

Im not trying to make an excuse for his contract, that contract was tragic and he should have been traded to Tampa Bay for Mike Glennon the moment we drafted Big Cat, but being that size, having to anchor, and deal with offensive linemen just from a physical standpoint he probably wasnt the same last year. 

I do believe that he'll have a better season, but even if he were to repeat his first season under Bowles, that contract was still outrageous. We should have let him walk or just tagged him with the money we ended up giving to Fitz. 

The Pats unloaded Chandler Jones who had the same amount of sacks as Mo did playing 1 less year for a 2nd rd pick to the Cards.. Of course he didn't have the same sacks as the year before(12.5) with just 11..:) Some of us said Mo was looking for more money then Watt I guess we were right..

21 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

The Pats unloaded Chandler Jones who had the same amount of sacks as Mo did playing 1 less year for a 2nd rd pick to the Cards.. Of course he didn't have the same sacks as the year before(12.5) with just 11..:) Some of us said Mo was looking for more money then Watt I guess we were right..

I remember a couple years back when I said that anything more than 10 million per year is too much for Mo Wilkerson, let alone giving him anything near JJ Watt money...and I was even being generous about that amount. I remember people looking at me as if I was some dude that just pee'd in the pool lol. 

egEUsf.gif

37 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Didn't Sheldon have his joyride before Mo signed his contract?  I don't remember exactly, but if that was the case maybe that's why Mo was resigned. 

If Sheldon hadn't gotten in trouble it's possible Mo would have been out and we would have kept Snacks. 

Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

Didn't Sheldon have his joyride before Mo signed his contract?  I don't remember exactly, but if that was the case maybe that's why Mo was resigned. 

If Sheldon hadn't gotten in trouble it's possible Mo would have been out and we would have kept Snacks. 

Im not sure, you could be right.  But even if so, you dont sign a guy to a contract that he simply isnt worth, even if Sheldon had a Grand Theft Auto V joyride around Missouri. 

Drafting Leonard Williams and having control of him for 5 years on a rookie deal along with having to only pay Snacks a 3-4 DT contract rendered Wilkerson's contract unnecessary. We dont even have to touch the Sheldon situation to know that the Wilkerson deal was terrible. When Macc became GM of the Jets his first order of business should have been to trade Wilk literally the moment he drafted Big Cat. 

This is a good thing actually, we're going to suck next year anyway. Pay a large portion of his contract this year that way it's easier to cut him down The road. 

Maccagnan likes to front load his contracts specifically for this reason. 

40 minutes ago, jett said:

This is a good thing actually, we're going to suck next year anyway. Pay a large portion of his contract this year that way it's easier to cut him down The road. 

This works when you're constantly having to get out of contracts early given that they end up being bad. Wilk's contract shouldnt have happened to begin with. Macc has to learn how to call players "bluff" and walk away. He let Wilk put him in a corner, he let Fitz put him in a corner as well. 

Both of those contract financially were bad to begin with, but he tried to hold out and they did as well and at the last minute he caved. That's alot of money to go 5-11. 

1 hour ago, jett said:

LOL the Jets formula that never works for success, rinse wash repeat. 

4 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

Mo was gonna get paid no matter what weather by the jets or another team .. the market was when those other 3-4 DEs got big money deals. 

Not a guy with all of 4 sacks.  No opposing  OC lays sleepless the night before his team plays the Jets because of Wilkerson; he can be defensed with your base OL. He isn't an edge pass rusher, nobody else was paying him this kind of stupid money. The contract is an embarrassment. 

26 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This works when you're constantly having to get out of contracts early given that they end up being bad. Wilk's contract shouldnt have happened to begin with. Macc has to learn how to call players "bluff" and walk away. He let Wilk put him in a corner, he let Fitz put him in a corner as well. 

Both of those contract financially were bad to begin with, but he tried to hold out and they did as well and at the last minute he caved. That's alot of money to go 5-11. 

We should get Baby for GM no one puts Baby in the corner just ask Johnny Castle..:)

Archived