Coverage Radius/Ability of Derrick Jones.

Villain The Foe

@rangerous asked...

12 hours ago, rangerous said:

like the fact he's 6-2.  can he turn his head around and still cover?

I was looking at Derrick Jones highlights earlier and I was determined to find some clips of him. NYJets.com had an interview that showed a few clips and these are the GIF's that I made. 

#1. Control, awareness, speed and explosiveness

Derrick%20Jones%201.gif

This is total text book, from using his inside arm to guide the receiver taking the outside release, to staying under control and playing the ball and not the receiver. Let me explain why this play is so damn impressive. The play starts at the 31 yard line and ends at the 6 yard line where he breaks up the pass. Jones uses his inside arm to gauge what the receiver wants to do, putting him in position to stay with the receiver within the 1st 5 yards of the play. After those 5 yards he doesnt touch the receiver again. Jones notices at the 26 yard line that the receiver turns his head to track the ball, jones proceeds to turn his head when they're at the 24 yard line. This is the crazy part. Jones tracks the ball in the air for 18 yards, yet the play from start to finish was only 25 total yards. Jones completely outplayed the receiver on this play. To breakdown the 25 yards, the first 5 yards Jones uses his inside arm to guage the receivers outside release, from yards 5 to 7 Jones notices that the receiver is looking back to track the ball and takes just 2 yards in order to respond to track the ball as well. For the next 18 yards Derrick Jones is playing the ball in the air, fading toward the sideline along with the receiver at the 15 yard line. Then the best part of this play, Jones attacks the ball at the highest point (same as the receiver). The thing is though, Jones doesnt know that the receiver is going to in fact attack the ball at the heighest point given that Jones has been playing the football in the air for the past 18 yards and not the receiver. Jones slows down at the 10 yard line in order to prepare himself to attack the ball, and uses his 6-2 height and 41 inch vertical to break up this pass. 

For 18 of the 25 yards Jones played the ball. Jones never once got "feely" in an effort to get an idea of where the receiver was because it simply didnt matter, Jones knew where the ball was and decided to attack the ball and not the receiver after the initial 7 yards. He used textbook technique when the receiver decided to use the outside release. Jones shows great hip flexibility and great acceleration to be able to turn with the receiver while staying right in the receiver's hip pocket for the first 7 yards then playing the football for the duration of the play ending the play by high-pointing the ball and not once interfering with the route of the receiver. This shows absolute confidence in his ability to stay with the receiver and the play. Probably because he has excellent ability to track the ball given that he's a former WR. He also shows great hand-eye coordination being able to stick one hand in there to break up the pass while having the athletic ability to land and stay on his feet while the receiver ended up also trying to high-point the ball but ended up on the floor and Jones over him. 

Jones only gets better. Here's the next play. 

#2. Discipline and self confidence. 

ElderlyInfatuatedIndianjackal-size_restr

In this clip the we see the receiver try to fake Jones out with a triple move. Move 1. He fakes the outside release to his left which forces Jones to use technique by attempting to shoot his inside arm to gauge and control the outside release while moving his outside foot back in order to make the potential turn up field, the receiver quickly fakes back showing an inside release which causes Jones to quickly pull back his inside hand check and Jones takes a quick yet slight hop-step with both feet to maintain a neutral defensive posture, the receiver once again quickly fakes back outside and utilizes a swim move to ultimately get a free, virtually unimpeded outside release. Jones never once seems concerned about the triple move, swim and free release of the receiver. Jones quick hip turn after the hop step and great acceleration keeps Jones in the hip pocket of the receiver. This gif shows how Jones hip fluidity is truly top notch. Jones runs the route with the receiver in which the receiver begins his break inside and turning his head to track the pass at the 45 yard line. Jones responds by turning his head at the 48 yard line in order to track the ball. From the 48 yard line of the opponents side of the field until to the 47 yard line of his side of the field, where he ultimately intercepts the ball, he tracks the ball and uses his left arm as a visual extension to see and feel where the receiver is in space though without creating enough contact as to warrant a flag. He put his hand out there to reassure that the the receiver is where he believe he is to be.  As soon as he notices that the receiver isnt coming back to the ball Jones knows that he just ran this route better than the receiver and is in excellent position to make the play on the ball. Jones intercepts the ball, and runs it back 53 yards untouched for the pick 6. 

Yet another example of Jones tracking the ball, but this time adding his ability to trust himself and not panic at the LOS with triple moves, fakeouts and swim moves. Jones understands the WR position because he was once a WR. He trust his ability to stay with the receiver with his 4.40 speed, his ability to quickly turn his hips as well as his acceleration to be able to let a receiver free from the LOS but stay in their hip pocket. Most of all, watching his feet not get tangled up and tripping over themselves while keeping a neutral base in order to ultimately shadow the receiver when he decides to actually make a decision when going up field is rather elite from an athletic point of view. And speaking of shadowing...

#3. Shadowing the receiver stride for stride. 

PerfectUnknownBunting-size_restricted.gi

This right here is just ridiculous. It looks like Jones is covering the slot so there will be no touching of the receiver and the receiver will get a free release with enough field real estate to work his route. This clip has to be the most impressive of all because it's arguably the most difficult of the 3 given that he has no boundary to work with in support of his defense. This is pure coverage skills at its finest. And when I say at its finest, I want you to look at both players legs and look how Jones absolutely shadows this guy's every stride and cut on this route. Jones literally runs this route better than the receiver because once again, he allows to receiver his release but doesnt panic and his athleticism allows him to stay with the receiver once past him but his anticipation of the route is truly off the charts here. Look at how Jones cut on the route didnt come after the receivers cut. It was at the exact same time. This level of anticipation and being able to "feel" whats coming is world class. And as usual, the best part of the play is coming up. Notice how Jones once again cuts under the route and uses his acceleration to not just to get in between the ball and the receiver but he actually breaks back to the quarterback...a trait of a wide receiver! He also once again high points the ball. Also, because he's a former WR and he totally ran that route better than the receiver, you can also see that Jones turned around to track the ball at the exact same time the receiver did. This is just a spectacular play. And just to show you how much space Jones put in between himself and the receiver when coming back to the football, here's a video of this play from a different angle in slow mo.

He has about a 3 yard separation after high pointing the ball for the interception. This is a phenomenal effort, skill and understanding from a guy who was in all honesty just recently converted to DB. 

As I said in his draft thread, if this is the norm of Derrick Jones and it translates to the NFL this guy is an instant steal, could end up being the best CB in the class and could very well be the next Richard Sherman given the similar circumstance of converting from WR to CB. Having that coverage radius being able to high point the ball consistently while having natural hands of a WR and shadowing receivers like this is downright scary. 

I got to give much praise to Macc on this pick here. These 3 plays here are absolutely spectacular from a "raw" player who's new to the position. 

Oh and just for comparison sake. 

Richardson ran a 4.56 at the combine, Jones ran in the 4.40's at his pro day. Sherman had a 38 inch vert jump, Jones had a 41 in vert. Richardson was stronger however, benching 225lbs 16 times to Jones 9. Strength you can develop though, anticipation, feel of a play, coverage radius, awareness, self confidence etc is something that can compensate for those 9 reps. He may not win a press battle at the LOS, but if he's a shadow throughout the play will it even make a difference? 

I cant wait to see this guy on the field. 

These are impressive gifs. The guy's development was undoubtedly hampered by the constant position switches from offense to defense and back. I would like to see him become more physical with his press technique. 

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

These are impressive gifs. The guy's development was undoubtedly hampered by the constant position switches from offense to defense and back. I would like to see him become more physical with his press technique. 

If he can add a solid press to his game and further develop his overall coverage ability along with his natural athletic ability, this guy could be similar to Patrick Peterson. 

Patrick Peterson is faster  and stronger than him but in regards to hip fluidity, quick twitch motion and the ability not to take false steps (in the 3 GIF examples atleast) This guy's upside is that high imo. Not to mention that he's taller, longer and has a higher vert than Peterson when he came into the league. 

Tracking a football 18 yards on a play that was 25 yards long as well as high pointing it while never even considering touching the receiver after 5 yards gives me the immediate indication that this guy has ball hawking skills. And having that 4.40 speed means that he can cover the majority of WR's and his acceleration with the ability to shadow also lets me know that he can cover in the slot and have the acceleration to cover WR's that are more quicker than fast. 

This kid could be special, and im seriously not trying to overhype him because he's a Jet. If those GIFs are his norm he'll basically be a starter this season. Which that also means that Macc just found a starting cornerback as a rookie in the 6th round if so. 

I have a feeling this kid is going to light up camp this summer. 

That was indeed a great post w/clips.  Good job, Villain.  Thank you for your efforts.  In a super negative environment,  you provided something that made me smile ☺. 

Definitely am seeing what you are seeing in Derrick and I agree he could be special. Good post. Think my favorite part about him Is his patience as a still inexperienced corner .. that mixed with his leaping ability and decisiveness when making aggressive plays on the ball verses knowing when to play it conservative spells is an intriguing quality to have considering the amount of time he's played the position. High ceiling for a 6th rounder I can say that. 

41 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Definitely am seeing what you are seeing in Derrick and I agree he could be special. Good post. Think my favorite part about him Is his patience as a still inexperienced corner .. that mixed with his leaping ability and decisiveness when making aggressive plays on the ball verses knowing when to play it conservative spells is an intriguing quality to have considering the amount of time he's played the position. High ceiling for a 6th rounder I can say that. 

If Adams, May and Jones all hit this will be one hell of a rebound in the draft. 

I still dont know much about the CB from Michigan but im going to begin trying to find work on him as well. 

Just now, FTL Jet Fan said:

Thanks for the post  Villian, hopefully Dennard Wilson can get the most out of him. You would think that since our HC and DB coach were both DB's they can un-fu*k our secondary. I have more faith in Wilson at this point. Kid looks promising.

Thanks. I was excited to write it when I came across the video on the Jets website. 

Completely blew me away. And to hear how reserved and humble the guy is when being interviewed. 

7 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

@rangerous asked...

I was looking at Derrick Jones highlights earlier and I was determined to find some clips of him. NYJets.com had an interview that showed a few clips and these are the GIF's that I made. 

#1. Control, awareness, speed and explosiveness

Derrick%20Jones%201.gif

This is total text book, from using his inside arm to guide the receiver taking the outside release, to staying under control and playing the ball and not the receiver. Let me explain why this play is so damn impressive. The play starts at the 31 yard line and ends at the 6 yard line where he breaks up the pass. Jones uses his inside arm to gauge what the receiver wants to do, putting him in position to stay with the receiver within the 1st 5 yards of the play. After those 5 yards he doesnt touch the receiver again. Jones notices at the 26 yard line that the receiver turns his head to track the ball, jones proceeds to turn his head when they're at the 24 yard line. This is the crazy part. Jones tracks the ball in the air for 18 yards, yet the play from start to finish was only 25 total yards. Jones completely outplayed the receiver on this play. To breakdown the 25 yards, the first 5 yards Jones uses his inside arm to guage the receivers outside release, from yards 5 to 7 Jones notices that the receiver is looking back to track the ball and takes just 2 yards in order to respond to track the ball as well. For the next 18 yards Derrick Jones is playing the ball in the air, fading toward the sideline along with the receiver at the 15 yard line. Then the best part of this play, Jones attacks the ball at the highest point (same as the receiver). The thing is though, Jones doesnt know that the receiver is going to in fact attack the ball at the heighest point given that Jones has been playing the football in the air for the past 18 yards and not the receiver. Jones slows down at the 10 yard line in order to prepare himself to attack the ball, and uses his 6-2 height and 41 inch vertical to break up this pass. 

For 18 of the 25 yards Jones played the ball. Jones never once got "feely" in an effort to get an idea of where the receiver was because it simply didnt matter, Jones knew where the ball was and decided to attack the ball and not the receiver after the initial 7 yards. He used textbook technique when the receiver decided to use the outside release. Jones shows great hip flexibility and great acceleration to be able to turn with the receiver while staying right in the receiver's hip pocket for the first 7 yards then playing the football for the duration of the play ending the play by high-pointing the ball and not once interfering with the route of the receiver. This shows absolute confidence in his ability to stay with the receiver and the play. Probably because he has excellent ability to track the ball given that he's a former WR. He also shows great hand-eye coordination being able to stick one hand in there to break up the pass while having the athletic ability to land and stay on his feet while the receiver ended up also trying to high-point the ball but ended up on the floor and Jones over him. 

Jones only gets better. Here's the next play. 

#2. Discipline and self confidence. 

ElderlyInfatuatedIndianjackal-size_restr

In this clip the we see the receiver try to fake Jones out with a triple move. Move 1. He fakes the outside release to his left which forces Jones to use technique by attempting to shoot his inside arm to gauge and control the outside release while moving his outside foot back in order to make the potential turn up field, the receiver quickly fakes back showing an inside release which causes Jones to quickly pull back his inside hand check and Jones takes a quick yet slight hop-step with both feet to maintain a neutral defensive posture, the receiver once again quickly fakes back outside and utilizes a swim move to ultimately get a free, virtually unimpeded outside release. Jones never once seems concerned about the triple move, swim and free release of the receiver. Jones quick hip turn after the hop step and great acceleration keeps Jones in the hip pocket of the receiver. This gif shows how Jones hip fluidity is truly top notch. Jones runs the route with the receiver in which the receiver begins his break inside and turning his head to track the pass at the 45 yard line. Jones responds by turning his head at the 48 yard line in order to track the ball. From the 48 yard line of the opponents side of the field until to the 47 yard line of his side of the field, where he ultimately intercepts the ball, he tracks the ball and uses his left arm as a visual extension to see and feel where the receiver is in space though without creating enough contact as to warrant a flag. He put his hand out there to reassure that the the receiver is where he believe he is to be.  As soon as he notices that the receiver isnt coming back to the ball Jones knows that he just ran this route better than the receiver and is in excellent position to make the play on the ball. Jones intercepts the ball, and runs it back 53 yards untouched for the pick 6. 

Yet another example of Jones tracking the ball, but this time adding his ability to trust himself and not panic at the LOS with triple moves, fakeouts and swim moves. Jones understands the WR position because he was once a WR. He trust his ability to stay with the receiver with his 4.40 speed, his ability to quickly turn his hips as well as his acceleration to be able to let a receiver free from the LOS but stay in their hip pocket. Most of all, watching his feet not get tangled up and tripping over themselves while keeping a neutral base in order to ultimately shadow the receiver when he decides to actually make a decision when going up field is rather elite from an athletic point of view. And speaking of shadowing...

#3. Shadowing the receiver stride for stride. 

PerfectUnknownBunting-size_restricted.gi

This right here is just ridiculous. It looks like Jones is covering the slot so there will be no touching of the receiver and the receiver will get a free release with enough field real estate to work his route. This clip has to be the most impressive of all because it's arguably the most difficult of the 3 given that he has no boundary to work with in support of his defense. This is pure coverage skills at its finest. And when I say at its finest, I want you to look at both players legs and look how Jones absolutely shadows this guy's every stride and cut on this route. Jones literally runs this route better than the receiver because once again, he allows to receiver his release but doesnt panic and his athleticism allows him to stay with the receiver once past him but his anticipation of the route is truly off the charts here. Look at how Jones cut on the route didnt come after the receivers cut. It was at the exact same time. This level of anticipation and being able to "feel" whats coming is world class. And as usual, the best part of the play is coming up. Notice how Jones once again cuts under the route and uses his acceleration to not just to get in between the ball and the receiver but he actually breaks back to the quarterback...a trait of a wide receiver! He also once again high points the ball. Also, because he's a former WR and he totally ran that route better than the receiver, you can also see that Jones turned around to track the ball at the exact same time the receiver did. This is just a spectacular play. And just to show you how much space Jones put in between himself and the receiver when coming back to the football, here's a video of this play from a different angle in slow mo.

He has about a 3 yard separation after high pointing the ball for the interception. This is a phenomenal effort, skill and understanding from a guy who was in all honesty just recently converted to DB. 

As I said in his draft thread, if this is the norm of Derrick Jones and it translates to the NFL this guy is an instant steal, could end up being the best CB in the class and could very well be the next Richard Sherman given the similar circumstance of converting from WR to CB. Having that coverage radius being able to high point the ball consistently while having natural hands of a WR and shadowing receivers like this is downright scary. 

I got to give much praise to Macc on this pick here. These 3 plays here are absolutely spectacular from a "raw" player who's new to the position. 

Oh and just for comparison sake. 

Richardson ran a 4.56 at the combine, Jones ran in the 4.40's at his pro day. Sherman had a 38 inch vert jump, Jones had a 41 in vert. Richardson was stronger however, benching 225lbs 16 times to Jones 9. Strength you can develop though, anticipation, feel of a play, coverage radius, awareness, self confidence etc is something that can compensate for those 9 reps. He may not win a press battle at the LOS, but if he's a shadow throughout the play will it even make a difference? 

I cant wait to see this guy on the field. 

he looks like he has some good hands and ball anticipation.  the jets are due to find some hidden gems.

2 minutes ago, rangerous said:

he looks like he has some good hands and ball anticipation.  the jets are due to find some hidden gems.

I agree. There are professional CB's that have been in the league for years that cant do this. 

Kyle Wilson should ring a bell for all of us Jets fans. 

6 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. There are professional CB's that have been in the league for years that cant do this. 

Kyle Wilson should ring a bell for all of us Jets fans. 

ding ding ding, winner.  skrine does the same thing too.

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

ding ding ding, winner.  skrine does the same thing too.

And this is why I feel like if these Gif's are a representation of what Jones does on the normal basis he will most definitely be a starter for this team this year. We have Skrine, a guy who's effort I never question, but he does get beat and he's klingy with his hands and will draw a flag. We dont know what Justin Burris is. We've seen some good things from him but also some bad things. Marcus Williams imo is a good football player, I just feel like he's more of a zone corner and not a press man corner. I would say that we should convert him to free safety, which I think he could do, except for the fact that his tackling is totally suspect. If he could tackle I would say that he could make the transition given that he does show solid ball skills when the play is in front of him and he's working a particular area of the field. However, asking him to tackle a player? Good luck with that. 

Jones can most definitely make this team and possibly even start if this is indeed his game. I want to see if I can find some Jeremy Clark tape. So far I have to say that im not really impressed by what little I've come across so far. But he is a late round draft pick so that's to be expected as well. 

Excellent breakdown.  From a measurable standpoint Jones reminds me of Cromartie, but hopefully
the coaching staff can make him more sound technically.  Because once Cromartie's speed started
to leave he was done as a CB.  Jones work as a WR has definitely given him excellent ball skills

I said it before Jones will be a starter for this team and I believe he earns that spot this season. He looks incredibly fluid and he's got athleticism is spades. 

If you're looking into Jeremy Clark you're gonna be disappointed. He looks plodding compared to Jones and when he trails he looks like he's chasing compared to Jones who looks like he's shadowing.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

3 plays?  That's an awful lot of assuming.  I mean - what if his problem is "consistency"?

I think issues with consistency are a given right now. We're talking about a guy who moved back-and-forth from receiver to corner.

That's why he was drafted where he was despite his freakish skills.

Nice to see there's a lot to work with.

29 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

3 plays?  That's an awful lot of assuming.  I mean - what if his problem is "consistency"?

There's not alot of footage that I can find. I have said a few times that "If these 3 plays are a reflection of him as a player", making it known that this is basically making it known that my feelings are based on if his play is consistent with what these 3 GIF's show.

Here's an example. 

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

If he can add a solid press to his game and further develop his overall coverage ability along with his natural athletic ability, this guy could be similar to Patrick Peterson. 

Patrick Peterson is faster  and stronger than him but in regards to hip fluidity, quick twitch motion and the ability not to take false steps (in the 3 GIF examples atleast) This guy's upside is that high imo. Not to mention that he's taller, longer and has a higher vert than Peterson when he came into the league. 

Tracking a football 18 yards on a play that was 25 yards long as well as high pointing it while never even considering touching the receiver after 5 yards gives me the immediate indication that this guy has ball hawking skills. And having that 4.40 speed means that he can cover the majority of WR's and his acceleration with the ability to shadow also lets me know that he can cover in the slot and have the acceleration to cover WR's that are more quicker than fast. 

This kid could be special, and im seriously not trying to overhype him because he's a Jet. If those GIFs are his norm he'll basically be a starter this season. Which that also means that Macc just found a starting cornerback as a rookie in the 6th round if so. 

I have a feeling this kid is going to light up camp this summer. 

42 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I said it before Jones will be a starter for this team and I believe he earns that spot this season. He looks incredibly fluid and he's got athleticism is spades. 

If you're looking into Jeremy Clark you're gonna be disappointed. He looks plodding compared to Jones and when he trails he looks like he's chasing compared to Jones who looks like he's shadowing.

I'll be doing a bit of a comparison soon. It'll probably be up tomorrow. And you're absolutely correct. I've seen nothing to get excited about regarding Jeremy Clark. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thanks Crusher.

And yeah, this is going to take a while. Have no idea what you're talking about. what is the o.p.? 

Original post. Haha. Was long so if people kept quoting it then this thread would take awhile to read. 

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'll be doing a bit of a comparison soon. It'll probably be up tomorrow. And you're absolutely correct. I've seen nothing to get excited about regarding Jeremy Clark. 

Once healthy, I can see Clark playing a hybrid role CB/S/LB. 

Archived