Can Jets’ Richardson Play Himself in to Long-Term Deal?

JetNation

IMG_3828.jpg?fit=2248%2C1874

By Glenn Naughton

Could Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson end up staying in Green and White beyond the 2017 season?

IMG_3895.jpg?resize=300%2C200

Richardson has seen his production plummet since the arrival of head coach Todd Bowles.

Given the fact that there have been rumors claiming the team has made an effort to trade him on multiple occasions it’s hard to envision, but is too early to rule it out?

Just a few short years ago, Richardson appeared to be on the brink of stardom with the Jets.  He garnered defensive rookie of the year honors at the conclusion of the 2013 season and followed that up with a dominant sophomore campaign, racking up 8.5 sacks.  In his first two pro seasons, Richardson had  a total of 84 solo tackles and 11.5 sacks in 32 games.  Since then, suspensions and injuries have limited him to 26 games in which he has produced 58 tackles and just 6.5 sacks.

It’s not just a quick glance at the box scores either.  Any casual observer would be able to tell you that Richardson was a force in his first two seasons.  He was often spotted in opposing backfields, making life miserable for anyone who got in his way. Now, under head coach Todd Bowles, you may find yourself checking the Jets inactives list at half time to see if Richardson is in fact suited up on some Sundays.

The potential issue the Jets could face at season’s end is what to do if Richardson plays at a consistently high level in 2017 and keeps his nose clean.

If that were to happen, the Jets would be faced with the possibility of losing an extremely talented player whose poor conduct would be a distant memory, in exchange for absolutely nothing.  A poor miscalculation by GM Mike Maccagnan if rumors of a second round draft pick being offered to the Jets for Richardson last year at the trade deadline are true.

IMG_7494.jpg?resize=300%2C279

Sheldon Richardson could be waving goodbye to the Jets after the 2017 season.

There has been some talk among Jets fans who feel Richardson could fetch the Jets a third round compensatory pick as Damon Harrison did this season, but that’s highly improbable as the Jets are likely to spend big in free agency with roughly $70 million in cap space.  Multiple big splash signings would wipe out a potential comp pick for Richardson.

It sounds like there’s a good chance Maccagnan mishandled the Richardson situaiton last year if he did in fact pass up a chance to deal him.  Will a big season from the former Missouri product entice him to pony up a portion of that $70 million to keep Richardson in-house, or would Maccagnan let him walk out the door, getting nothing in return?

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
UcPilyw94Pc

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all depends on Mo. There isn't really a place on this team for both of them. Even if you could get both of them and Williams on the D-Line all at the same time it's way to much money to invest in one area. Richardson is a really good player and should command a fairly high deal iif he plays well even with his off field issues. They'd have to choose between Richardson and Mo IMO.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

There isn't really a place on this team for both of them.

2 of the better DL in the league, but we don't have room... shameful on the part of this organization (specifically the coaching staff), and the fans for accepting this line of thinking as legitimate. The issue is the inability of "defensive-minded" coach and his best buddy running the defense. Not the fact that the Jets just don't have room for a great player. 

The Jets ALWAYS have room for great players, because they are ALWAYS in need of them.

Of course Richardson can. All he has to do is have his best season under Todd Bowles, sign his franchise tag, allow Maccagnan to try and shop him while under a franchise tag, of course to no avail. Hold out all spring-summer long, enjoy your offseason by missing all spring-summer activities, then sign your new shiny deal the day before training camp begins. BAM! You're paid. Thanks Maccagnan!

B)

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

2 of the better DL in the league, but we don't have room... shameful on the part of this organization (specifically the coaching staff), and the fans for accepting this line of thinking as legitimate. The issue is the inability of "defensive-minded" coach and his best buddy running the defense. Not the fact that the Jets just don't have room for a great player. 

The Jets ALWAYS have room for great players, because they are ALWAYS in need of them.

Rodgers, the mastermind when it comes to innovation on defense....smh

It's not like I'm holding my breath here. Richardson kept his nose clean last year...and sucked.

You lose him, you lose him. He's not a difference maker ON THIS TEAM. And his attitude sucks. That's why, despite his talent, I'm hopeful he leaves, however that happens. If somehow the Jets lose him for "nothing" it's really not that big a loss; they have two other talented DL and probably shouldn't put all that much money in a position that shows diminishing importance.

There is no way the jets should ever give this guy a long term deal.  Even if the pressure is high because he is going to have a huge year this year.  He just saw his buddy mwoilk get paid and then float he will do the same, either float or get into trouble.

The jets are screwed no matter what they do with this player.

55 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The Jets have 3 guys for basically 2 spots. I know you can get him on the field in other ways and we should be more creative but with all the help the Jets need why tie up big money in another defensive lineman? This team has so many other areas where they need to get better. Richardson has never proven to be a great player. He's been a good player with the potential to be great, he's got  strikes against him, let him get his pay day elsewhere. The last thing this team needs is to pay another D-Lineman big money and then watch him possibly get suspended for an entire season for smoking pot...

Of course the Jets need talent. But they operate under a salary cap. If they didn't I'd be all for locking him up. This team most likely needs a QB, a number 1 receiver, a left tackle, another CB, an outside pass rusher, etc. Paying Richardson a ton of money when you just gave a big contract to Wilkerson, and your best player (Williams), is going to need to be paid soon is a mistake.

8 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

It all depends on Mo. There isn't really a place on this team for both of them. Even if you could get both of them and Williams on the D-Line all at the same time it's way to much money to invest in one area. Richardson is a really good player and should command a fairly high deal iif he plays well even with his off field issues. They'd have to choose between Richardson and Mo IMO.

100% agree.   Wilk is a $20M spend next year, or $11M cap savings if traded/cut.  One, or the other.  Incentive laden contract for Richardson, but since he's going to be a free agent the Jets are going to have to compete for his services, or franchise him.  How huge would it be if Hackenberg actually works out as our QB, that would change everything.

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There is no way the jets should ever give this guy a long term deal.  Even if the pressure is high because he is going to have a huge year this year.  He just saw his buddy mwoilk get paid and then float he will do the same, either float or get into trouble.

His buddy got paid because of Sheldon's transgressions, giving us no choice.  If Sheldon had kept his nose clean Wilk might have been gone.

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

true enough.  imo they overpaid wilk and even at 8 m, richardson would be very close to being overpaid. maybe there's a case to keep leo and shelly over wilk but keeping all three is near impossible.  also, there was a article that said the best combination of the 3 linemen was shelly and leo and having all three play at the same time was disastrous.  shelly needs to have a really good season if only to get the big money from some other team.

57 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

His buddy got paid because of Sheldon's transgressions, giving us no choice.  If Sheldon had kept his nose clean Wilk might have been gone.

I don;t see it, we were not going to keep a guy like shel over a Wilkerson when he was coming off a 12 sack really good year. The jets would have been killed for it, we are not the pats who because they have brady can make any stupid move they want,

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

but he gives us the best chance to win

2 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets have 3 guys for basically 2 spots. I know you can get him on the field in other ways and we should be more creative but with all the help the Jets need why tie up big money in another defensive lineman? This team has so many other areas where they need to get better. Richardson has never proven to be a great player. He's been a good player with the potential to be great, he's got  strikes against him, let him get his pay day elsewhere. The last thing this team needs is to pay another D-Lineman big money and then watch him possibly get suspended for an entire season for smoking pot...

Of course the Jets need talent. But they operate under a salary cap. If they didn't I'd be all for locking him up. This team most likely needs a QB, a number 1 receiver, a left tackle, another CB, an outside pass rusher, etc. Paying Richardson a ton of money when you just gave a big contract to Wilkerson, and your best player (Williams), is going to need to be paid soon is a mistake.

I ******* hate Rex Ryan, but I think even that dope would have found a way to use the 3 of them more successfully. 

Don't make excuses for the shortcomings of the first-time coaches we always hire. They don't deserve to be defended. There are coaches all over the league that are capable of scheming to the players they have, especially if they have a couple of great ones. The Jets aren't the first team to face this situation, but they are possibly the least inventive and creative. Sticking Sheldon at LBer isn't being creative either. It's stupid. 

The fact that they can't use, and can't trade Sheldon, is a ******* disgrace.

Mangini was probably the most gratuitous when it came to perpetuating the "can't run my system, without the right guys" bullsh*t. Giving away the best 2 defenders we had at the time in Vilma and Abraham... and the fans still didn't learn. This kind of crap from 1st-time coaches is call "job extending". Rex did it too. Now these buffoons are doing it. 

You want to know why that cheating piece of crap in NE wins? Not because he cheats, but because he uses what he has to the best he can. He has never told the fanbase in NE that they just need XYZ players in order to not be a trash team. That's ALL I CAN REMEMBER EVER BEING TOLD BY JETS LEADERSHIP MY WHOLE LIFE.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

If Bowles keeps starting him out of position at OLB, he will continue to be disappointing.  Not to mention reducing any trade value.  Stoopid Bowles.

I remember watching the mnf game with the Cardinals last year and literally every time Richardson lined up at OLB Carson Palmer audibled to a run to whatever side Richardson was on.  One of those audibles resulted in a 75 yard td run

Bowles is the WORST 

I think where ever he is after this year he will need to sign a prove it deal. Unless this season is off the charts for him.

At the end of the year we have to take a deep hard look. They only thing I know is that Williams id staying

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I ******* hate Rex Ryan, but I think even that dope would have found a way to use the 3 of them more successfully. 

Don't make excuses for the shortcomings of the first-time coaches we always hire. They don't deserve to be defended. There are coaches all over the league that are capable of scheming to the players they have, especially if they have a couple of great ones. The Jets aren't the first team to face this situation, but they are possibly the least inventive and creative. Sticking Sheldon at LBer isn't being creative either. It's stupid. 

The fact that they can't use, and can't trade Sheldon, is a ******* disgrace.

The problem is with our, top talent in coaching and management don't want to come here.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

is it possible to tender him at a 2nd round level?  what would that cost be? I think he plays well in his contract year.

No - we either sign him, franchise him or let him walk.

41 minutes ago, sciond said:

The problem is with our, top talent in coaching and management don't want to come here.

Another falsehood created by the fans.

If you pay them, they will come. Woody Johnson has been trying to find the next Beli by hiring non-experienced coordinators for the past ~20 years. Coaches, GM, everyone he hires is a ******* 1st-timer... and then they hire experienced coordinators and throw them under the bus to extend their job lives.

It's a racket, and the Jets fans are equal parts cause and victim.

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

depends on how Wilkes plays this year.  He better play at Pro Bowl level to justify 20million cap hit in 2018.  If not Richardson is the likely replacement at fraction of that cost.

Except it wouldn't be a fraction of that cost (unless you are referring to fractions like 19/20).

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Another falsehood created by the fans.

If you pay them, they will come. Woody Johnson has been trying to find the next Beli by hiring non-experienced coordinators for the past ~20 years. Coaches, GM, everyone he hires is a ******* 1st-timer... and then they hire experienced coordinators and throw them under the bus to extend their job lives.

It's a racket, and the Jets fans are equal parts cause and victim.

I think  Woody has been trying to what you stated because top talent does not want to be here. Can you name an example of one in recent memory who did?

4 minutes ago, sciond said:

I think  Woody has been trying to what you stated because top talent does not want to be here. Can you name an example of one in recent memory who did?

Can you name an example of recent memory when Woody interviewed top, experienced coaching talent - when they've been on the market - and we've had an opening?

No. 

Going all the way back to when he blew off interviewing Cowher. He hires the less expensive coordinators, because he understands that with inexperienced coaches/GMs comes the stipulation that the fans must lower their expectations and embrace the "hope" of the new guys becoming great. When, in reality he's not even finding guys who are capable... nevermind great.

He's shooting for the middle, and delivering every time... because the fans say "good coaches don't want to come here, so it's okay". 

It's nonsense. Good coaches will go to where the biggest challenge and paycheck lead them.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Can you name an example of recent memory when Woody interviewed top, experienced coaching talent - when they've been on the market - and we've had an opening?

No. 

Going all the way back to when he blew off interviewing Cowher. He hires the less expensive coordinators, because he understands that with inexperienced coaches/GMs comes the stipulation that the fans must lower their expectations and embrace the "hope" of the new guys becoming great. When, in reality he's not even finding guys who are capable... nevermind great.

He's shooting for the middle, and delivering every time... because the fans say "good coaches don't want to come here, so it's okay". 

It's nonsense. Good coaches will go to where the biggest challenge and paycheck lead them.

specifically  people like Dan Quinn as a coach, Dave Caldwell as a GM for starters... did not want to be here and they were rising talent

Any time a top coach or GM was available and we had an opening none ever said the NY Jets intrigue them.... if no like I said name just one who wanted to come here.... Please do say Her "playoff's" Edwards....

1 minute ago, sciond said:

specifically  people like Dan Quinn as a coach, Dave Caldwell as a GM for starters... did not want to be here and they were rising talent

Any time a top coach or GM was available and we had an opening none ever said the NY Jets intrigue them.... if no like I said name just one who wanted to come here.... Please do say Her "playoff's" Edwards....

Those guys were unproven, and had as much buzz as Bowles, and other names Woody slobbers over. 

I said "top, experienced coaching talent". 

You aren't having the debate you think you are. Read better.

Archived