Jets Waive Devin Smith

UntouchableCrew

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I know the SOJF contingent will eat this up, but Robbie Anderson has effectively negated the loss/suckiness of Smith. As a rookie this past year Anderson was 6th in receptions despite being buried on the depth chart to start the season. 

Rich Kotite discovered Wayne Chrebet.  Wanna give him a GM job?

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You were one of those SOJF's I was referring to so thanks for being you. 

Will you still be here when Hackenberg is the next of Macagnan's 2nd round picks to get cut next offseason?

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

totes magotes

Enunwa and Anderson, regardless off who picked them, can play. I also like Peake, Marshall (if he can keep his head on straight), and the rooks. To each their own.

Tough break (no pun intended).

Hopefully we can bring him back and IR him. But we have so many young receivers that it might not be necessarily.

Hopefully he can come back strong and get a shot somewhere if not with us 

Dee Milliner just gets killed for being injured and actually played about 5 good games in his career.

Devin Smith stepped on the jag train out of the station and people are feeling bad for him.  Smith STUNK the few times he was not hurt.

Also the fact we found a few late rounders and udfa takes nothing away form a stinky wasted 2nd round pick.

3 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

The guy was a gamer at OSU and came up big in some of their most important games. Loved drafting a deep threat with a winning pedigree that had Desean Jackson comps.

Injuries are the culprit here, not bad drafting... this wasn't a Vlad Ducasse 2nd rounder. After that broken rib he looked like he was coming around until he tore the ACL. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-smith?id=2552459 

Nope the guy was only a bum. He had a huge finish to his senior season, about the last 4-5 games and went from a possible udfa to a wasted 2nd rounder.

My brother is huge osu fan we watch just about every game together.

Still remember my brother saying to me after the conference title game, I bet some team wastes a 4th rounder on this slouch after these past couple games.

3 hours ago, bigalbarracuda said:

The guy was a gamer at OSU and came up big in some of their most important games. Loved drafting a deep threat with a winning pedigree that had Desean Jackson comps.

Injuries are the culprit here, not bad drafting... this wasn't a Vlad Ducasse 2nd rounder. After that broken rib he looked like he was coming around until he tore the ACL. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-smith?id=2552459 

Nope the guy was only a bum. He had a huge finish to his senior season, about the last 4-5 games and went from a possible udfa to a wasted 2nd rounder.

Still remember my brother saying to me after the conference title game, I bet some team wastes a 4th rounder on this slouch after these past couple games.

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Feel bad for him. It wasn't his fault. He just couldn't stay healthy. Had two very bad injuries that take a lot of rehab to come back from. 

what? thank god get this bum off the team, I always hate how we hold onto guys that don't live up to the draft position or expected performance and then take years to get off the team while hungry deserving guys show promise and lose their spot cause we have to hold onto worthless draft picks...god damn sorry man, not really at you, just this damn team. I love seeing us get rid of these bums.

Yeah you say he was hurt, maybe he was, doesn't matter lets get someone healthy onto the roster. waste spots on someone elses team. Also screw this kid, he sucked.,

3 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Feel bad for him. It wasn't his fault. He just couldn't stay healthy. Had two very bad injuries that take a lot of rehab to come back from. 

what? thank god get this bum off the team, I always hate how we hold onto guys that don't live up to the draft position or expected performance and then take years to get off the team while hungry deserving guys show promise and lose their spot cause we have to hold onto worthless draft picks...god damn sorry man, not really at you, just this damn team. I love seeing us get rid of these bums.

Yeah you say he was hurt, maybe he was, doesn't matter lets get someone healthy onto the roster. waste spots on someone elses team. Also screw this kid, he sucked.,

NEW YORK JETS

Jets got nothing in return for second-round gamble on Devin Smith

Jordy McElroy
Posted on May 22, 2017
13 DEC 2015: New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith (19) is taken off the field on a cart after being injured during the third quarter of the game between the New York Jets and the Tennessee Titans played at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford,NJ, (Photo by Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire)
(PHOTO BY RICH GRAESSLE/ICON SPORTSWIRE)

Devin Smith’s NFL talent may never see the light of day.

A cruel mixture of bad luck and bad timing might undo the happiness the 25-year-old receiver felt in his heart when he was drafted by the New York Jets in 2015. The team announced on Monday that they were waiving him after he tore his ACL during the first phase of offseason workouts.

Another one bites the dust for the Jets; for Smith, it represents another major setback in his future playing professional football.

“It’s bad luck and bad timing because the kid worked so hard to get back,” Jets head coach Todd Bowles told the official team website. “He has to persevere and adversity will help him get stronger. But unfortunately in this game, over my course of time playing and coaching, you see these types of things. Some of the best athletes get hurt and don’t get a chance to get on the field and it’s just bad timing, bad luck.”

The Jets liked Smith well enough to spend the No. 37 overall pick of the draft on him, when they could have selected Tyler Lockett or David Johnson. But hindsight is always 20-20, and the Jets had good reasons to be excited about Smith as a rookie prospect.

His Flash-like speed was the primary talking point regarding his skill set heading into the draft. The Jets believed they had a player who could put stress on the back-end of defenses. They graded him purely on his physical capabilities rather than hinging everything on his stat sheet. He never had a 1,000-yard receiving season at Ohio State, mostly because the Buckeyes were too busy running the football with Ezekiel Elliott.

The hype was legitimate for Smith, and the Jets weren’t the only ones buying into it. An NFL scout compared him to a young DeSean Jackson coming out of college. That comparison may have been justified, but it’s truth may remain permanently locked away thanks to the injury gods. Smith tore his ACL in 2015 before the end of the season, and he suffered the same injury in the same knee once again this year.

Coming off an injury last year, Smith played in only four games and caught one pass for 20 yards.

The Jets will continue to rebuild on offense and defense for next season. Perhaps they’d even consider giving Smith another shot when he’s healed up from his injury.

With all of this bad luck, he is certainly due for some good news.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

Devin Smith cut this year and Hack will be cut next year.

We get it. You hate Hack for some reason. Stop thread crapping unless you are actually going to put forth an argument other than "hack sucks" (not an argument) or "he couldn't even get on the field last year" (also not an argument as they TOLD us he was red shirting the entire year)

Just stop.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

didn't he catch more passes than hill?  hill wasn't injured just a slacker. it's just another sad tale by a jet high round draftee.  maybe he'll be back.

No, Not really.  Hill sucked but compared to Smith..................................................................................

Both in Two years

Hill:      45 receptions....594 Yards..............4 TD's

Smith: 10 receptions....135 Yards..............1 TD

40 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

It's not like this guy has played 25+ games and did nothing. He had bad luck. Most likely we'll never know if he could have been a NFL WR. 

Where is the JN member that heard on good authority that Devin Smith was regularly out partying until 4 AM in NYC?

Most of you ignored the post.  But I happen to believe him. Mainly because of my own story being skipped over about witnessing something shady from Santonio Holmes 3 hours before the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

1 minute ago, RoadFan said:

Where is the JN member that heard on good authority that Devin Smith was regularly out partying until 4 AM in NYC?

Most of you ignored the post.  But I happen to believe him. Mainly because of my own story being skipped over about witnessing something shady from Santonio Holmes 3 hours before the AFCCG in Pittsburgh.

A professional athlete in NYC partying at 4 am?  Next thing you know we are going to hear about how he has his women sign a NDA and giving them a Jets swag basket and cab fare after the moneyshot.

I would have liked to see Devin Smith get a real chance. hopefully he falls through the waiver wire unnoticed but i have a feeling someone will scoop him up. I guess it is a good sign that they are willing to move away from players who don't work out even if they were drafted high though so there is that.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Dee Milliner just gets killed for being injured and actually played about 5 good games in his career.

Devin Smith stepped on the jag train out of the station and people are feeling bad for him.  Smith STUNK the few times he was not hurt.

Also the fact we found a few late rounders and udfa takes nothing away form a stinky wasted 2nd round pick.

Milliner had a HOF career compared to Smith and Hackenberg

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

We get it. You hate Hack for some reason. Stop thread crapping unless you are actually going to put forth an argument other than "hack sucks" (not an argument) or "he couldn't even get on the field last year" (also not an argument as they TOLD us he was red shirting the entire year)

Just stop.

The next 2nd round pick to get cut after 2 seasons

3 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I'm failing to understand how any of that is relevant to him breaking his ribs and ripping his ACL twice.  You know, the reasons that he was waived.

You're telling me that when he isn't on the field, a young, 25 year old, millionaire athlete enjoys going out and having legal fun in one of the greatest cities in the world for such an activity?  

I, for one, am shocked and appalled.

IMG_9311-2.jpg?fit=780%2C616

he Jets waived/injured third-year wide receiver Devin Smith on Monday. Smith will revert back to the Jets I.R. if he claims waivers. After his second torn ACL in his short career, it is expected that he will clear waivers.

Todd Bowles had this to say about Devin Smith.

It’s bad luck and bad timing because the kid worked so hard to get back, he has to persevere and adversity will help him get stronger. But unfortunately in this game, over my course of time playing and coaching, you see these types of things. Some of the best athletes get hurt and don’t get a chance to get on the field and it’s just bad timing, bad luck.

Stop by the JetNation Forums and join other Jets fans who are discussing Devin Smith.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
u0RAAYAKjts

Click here to read the full story...

6 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Yes cause if was home by 10pm  he would of never tore his ACL , punctured his lungs , broke his ribs ect..  you guys are crazy injuries are part of the game unfortunately for smith it just kept happening . 

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm failing to understand how any of that is relevant to him breaking his ribs and ripping his ACL twice.  You know, the reasons that he was waived.

You're telling me that when he isn't on the field, a young, 25 year old, millionaire athlete enjoys going out and having legal fun in one of the greatest cities in the world for such an activity?  

I, for one, am shocked and appalled.

It shows a lack of commitment.  Hard to rehab with a hangover multiple days per week.

He sucked anyway, so both points are mute.  Whether it was injury, lack of commitment, that he was a lousy WR, or all of the above... the result would have been the same.

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

He tore his ACL twice. It's not his fault. We don't know if he was a bad player or not. We just know that he couldnt stay healthy. I have no problem with him being cut. But to call him a bum isnt really fair. He's not Stephen Hill.

Archived