NY Jets OTA Updates

JetNation

43 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I wonder if Connor Hughes reported that Hackenberg was the second coming in OTA that you'd feel the same about his credentials. 

Yea, pretty much - if the pattern of echoing was the same. I'd be saying "temper your reactions folks".

As far as we know, not too many in the media are actually seeing much football. Whenever this happens these guys all just parrot whoever makes the most controversial claim. He could be 100% spot on, but I tend not to think much of things when the they all take one tweet and blow it up into a big deal.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Funny you should mention this--I'm actually in the process of developing a proprietary analytic that will allow us to properly judge the veracity of each beat writer's tweets. You input the tweet, and the system assesses it against a matrix of known information about the writer, including, but not limited to:

• Anti-Jets Bias
  • Physical Appearance
  • Woman
  • Wrote A Positive Article On Belichick Once
  • Skips Leg Day
  • Mockable Name
  • Lmao Does This Guy Even Watch Football

I call it the Media Evaluation Heuristic Tracking All Bias Over Time, or MEHTA-BOT for short. Should be ready for training camp.

lol, terrific

17 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI  

Jets announce they've signed WR Chris Harper and waived TE Braedon Bowman...

I noticed Bowman walking inside w/ head trainer John Mellody during practice, but couldn't tell what was wrong from far away

Macc loves to sign WRs

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

Macc loves to sign WRs

OTAs = can't hit..Not much of a need for OL / DL at this stage. Aslo Stewart & Hanson are nicked up and not practicing. Decker wasn't there today

27 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Funny you should mention this--I'm actually in the process of developing a proprietary analytic that will allow us to properly judge the veracity of each beat writer's tweets. You input the tweet, and the system assesses it against a matrix of known information about the writer, including, but not limited to:

• Anti-Jets Bias
  • Physical Appearance
  • Woman
  • Skips Leg Day
  • Mockable Name

I call it the Media Evaluation Heuristic Tracking All Bias Over Time, or MEHTA-BOT for short. Should be ready for training camp.

Between this and the DRAFTRON - I think you're on to something BIG!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Well, he did report that Hack made an impressive comeback in the second half of practice. So there is that. but people tend to like to ignore that.

Ignore it? I just petitioned the NFL to put it in the first paragraph of his Hall of Fame plaque. 

36 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Kimberley A. Martin‏ @KMart_LI  

Jets announce they've signed WR Chris Harper and waived TE Braedon Bowman...

I noticed Bowman walking inside w/ head trainer John Mellody during practice, but couldn't tell what was wrong from far away

Interesting.  This is at least the 3rd WR they have picked up from the Niners (Patton, Cannon) and 2nd from Cal (Hansen).  

I kind of like Bowman as a prospect.  Small school guy (S Alabama) who is a fairly high level athlete.  This is the kind of guy UDFA that can turn out to be a useful player, particularly after a year or two of seasoning/training to block.

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  This is at least the 3rd WR they have picked up from the Niners (Patton, Cannon) and 2nd from Cal (Hansen).  

I kind of like Bowman as a prospect.  Small school guy (S Alabama) who is a fairly high level athlete.  This is the kind of guy UDFA that can turn out to be a useful player, particularly after a year or two of seasoning/training to block.

Think the niners connection is just a coincidence..Patton was there w/Morton but Cannon is a rookie and seems to have the skillset i.e. speed DSmith was supposed to provide. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Think the niners connection is just a coincidence..Patton was there w/Morton but Cannon is a rookie and seems to have the skillset i.e. speed DSmith was supposed to provide. 

Patton was there from the prior regime, but I look at these things more as how teams scout.  Certain teams look for certain traits, and that will sometimes be where the overlap will lie.  This certainly might be a coincidence, but that was what I was referring to regarding the connection.

FWIW, I don't think they took Cannon to replace Smith because of speed.  Speed is something you look for in literally every player. 

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mccown = 40-50th best Qb in the league, McCown far and away the best looking jets QB.....

Mccown will be the starter until he either gets hurt (really good chance) or it is the last game or so of the year.

All reports I'm reading so far show its not even close

And the sad thing is McCown stinks so how bad are Petty and Hack?

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Tit for tat. I don't get excited about anything in OTA's, too far in either direction. It is ridiculous, quite honestly. I take nothing from it. But is is comical to see people's reactions.

Tit for tat, I think, is an oversimplification.  Perhaps it is unbalanced, but Hackenberg cannot in these OTAs do much to make us objectively think he's the guy, but he sure can do things to make it continue to seem as if he is not.  It'd be silly to get fired up about anyone's performance, in either direction, as you say.  However, accuracy, you'd have to admit, is an ongoing concern for Hackenberg - one that predates these OTAs, no?  So, the fact that he's another year in and still struggling to connect on passes to unguarded WRs, is by no means the death blow to his career, but it is doing nothing to silence ongoing concerns that have been with him since year one at Penn State.

Edit to add: I feel the same way about preseason.  People say it's meaningless, but that's not really true.  The outcome is meaningless, but the individual drives and plays are not.

2 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Tit for tat, I think, is an oversimplification.  Perhaps it is unbalanced, but Hackenberg cannot in these OTAs do much to make us objectively think he's the guy, but he sure can do things to make it continue to seem as if he is not.  It'd be silly to get fired up about anyone's performance, in either direction, as you say.  However, accuracy, you'd have to admit, is an ongoing concern for Hackenberg - one that predates these OTAs, no?  So, the fact that he's another year in and still struggling to connect on passes to unguarded WRs, is by no means the death blow to his career, but it is doing nothing to silence ongoing concerns that have been with him since year one at Penn State.

I did not have as much a problem with the accuracy his freshman year. The big thing was that he hit passes at the right time that year. While there may have been some flutters and misconnects, the overall achievement was larger than the fleeting mistakes, which can be (agree, less objectively) ignored.

Look at the number of times that O'Brien went for it on 4th down using a freshman qb (Hackenberg).  Now, O'Brien had a proclivity to do this with McGloin as well, but to do it with true freshman showed the amount of confidence he had in that qb in a clutch spot. Also look at the comebacks engineered over Michigan and BC that year. 

I agree that is just fleeting glimpses, but, if you watched regularly (and I know you didn't), you saw something special there.

Years 2 and 3 were very different as I posted earlier.

As I have said all along, all this means nothing unless he makes progress. But, I have seen him have moments, and just hope that those moments can lead to something more. 

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The biggest problem with Hackenberg's freshman year is that people keep saying "as a freshman."  We are banking on something that has been qualified by his status.  

Because "as a freshman" he was playing in a pro style offense for a NFL coach,

12 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I did not have as much a problem with the accuracy his freshman year. The big thing was that he hit passes at the right time that year. While there may have been some flutters and misconnects, the overall achievement was larger than the fleeting mistakes, which can be (agree, less objectively) ignored.

Look at the number of times that O'Brien went for it on 4th down using a freshman qb (Hackenberg).  Now, O'Brien had a proclivity to do this with McGloin as well, but to do it with true freshman showed the amount of confidence he had in that qb in a clutch spot. Also look at the comebacks engineered over Michigan and BC that year. 

I agree that is just fleeting glimpses, but, if you watched regularly (and I know you didn't), you saw something special there.

Years 2 and 3 were very different as I posted earlier.

As I have said all along, all this means nothing unless he makes progress. But, I have seen him have moments, and just hope that those moments can lead to something more. 

I just wonder, and the numbers do back this up to some extent, how much of that "special" was more the result of Allen Robinson being a top tier college WR than Hackenberg being "special" that year, and then losing it.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

I just wonder, and the numbers do back this up to some extent, how much of that "special" was more the result of Allen Robinson being a top tier college WR than Hackenberg being "special" that year, and then losing it.

Wonder all you want. But, I choose to look at the results. It was not Allen Robinson that was there for the sophomore Pinstripe Bowl. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

• Anti-Jets Bias
  • Physical Appearance
  • Woman
  • Skips Leg Day
  • Mockable Name

Gold, Jerry. ??????

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

• Anti-Jets Bias
  • Physical Appearance
  • Woman
  • Skips Leg Day
  • Mockable Name

The bolded one really gets my goat.  I work out in a place with a lot of young studs and most of them look like inverted pyramids.

17 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Why isn't Bortles "special" then since Robinson seems to be able to sprinkle magic dust on his QBs

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The gap between Mccown/Fitz to Geno/Petty/Hack is massive.

OTAs with a brand new offense and the 35 year veteran/player coach looks better than the two kids. 

I'm not reading anymore into it but it's not shocking. He's there to help the kids learn.

I'm glad McCown gets the offense and hopefully he does his job and gets those children ready for the season. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Ignore it? I just petitioned the NFL to put it in the first paragraph of his Hall of Fame plaque. 

I'm on amazon right now about to order his roller skates, what size shoe does he wear?

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The biggest problem with Hackenberg's freshman year is that people keep saying "as a freshman."  We are banking on something that has been qualified by his status.  

Because he looked really good for a freshman and then faced more adversity than any college Qb could possibly face. Losing all those scholarship players is not something to brush off. It's like an NFL team going 3 years without draft picks. Remember that besides the loss of scholarships you had kids not even wanting to go to PSU because of the lack of post season bowls and talent on the team (thanks again to the scholarships). 

Considering all of that Hack still showed some signs in his last 2 years but all in all was pretty bad. Taking Hack was a calculated risk. At this point, no one has any idea what he will become. 

Anyone on this forum suggesting that Hack is a future stud QB would be a fool, but the same goes for those that suggest he has zero chance at success because "duh, they didn't play him last year..."

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

Because "as a freshman" he was playing in a pro style offense for a NFL coach,

That is nice, but 59% for 2955 and 20/10 is not a particularly great year.  

I really don't give much of a **** about this "pro style offense".  The main reason you want a pro style offense is to shorten the time it takes to be ready for the NFL game.  What good does it do for a guy that is going to redshirt?  

It's not like he was so successful, see his numbers above.  People act like his success was stifled by this NFL coach and system.  I understand he isn't going to put up pinball numbers like it was Chip Kelly, but that doesn't explain his poor completion percentage which dropped when he went to the dink and dunk.  I wish the kid the best, but I am just tired of hearing about his adversity.  It's as if Happy Valley was a ******* minefield.

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is nice, but 59% for 2955 and 20/10 is not a particularly great year.  

I really don't give much of a **** about this "pro style offense".  The main reason you want a pro style offense is to shorten the time it takes to be ready for the NFL game.  What good does it do for a guy that is going to redshirt?  

It's not like he was so successful, see his numbers above.  People act like his success was stifled by this NFL coach and system.  I understand he isn't going to put up pinball numbers like it was Chad Kelly, but that doesn't explain his poor completion percentage which dropped when he went to the dink and dunk.  I wish the kid the best, but I am just tired of hearing about his adversity.  It's as if Happy Valley was a ******* minefield.

Oh boy. You're about to get it something fierce. Prepare to find out how Penn State was actually the Battle of the Bulge.

Archived