Josh McCown the early favorite, but all three Jets QBs will get equal shot

Gas2No99

Josh McCown the early favorite, but all three Jets QBs will get equal shot

• cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Dick Semen-i ESPN Pole wRider

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets are calling it an open competition at quarterback. Whatever. We know how this will turn out.

It'll go like it did Tuesday on the first day of OTAs, with well-traveled veteran Josh McCown in the starting role.

McCown received the majority of the first-team reps in team drills, and he demonstrated vocal leadership and a solid command of the offense. There were a few hiccups, including an interception, but it was a workmanlike first day. For those into stats, he completed 11 of 16 passes unofficially.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0523%2Fr212113_1

Josh McCown showed vocal leadership and a solid command of the offense on a workmanlike first day of practice. Ed Mulholland/USA Today Sports

Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg were the Nos. 2 and 3 quarterbacks, respectively. In fact, Hackenberg worked exclusively on the far field during team drills -- they practiced on two fields simultaneously -- so it was difficult to get a read on his debut. He threw at least one interception.

The quarterbacks will rotate throughout the nine remaining OTA practices, with each getting an equal shot to work with the starters.

"We're giving everybody a great opportunity to show themselves and see if they can be the starter," offensive coordinator John Morton said.

Coach Todd Bowles said it's "wide-open" and declined to provide a timetable for when he will name a starter. It probably won't be until the preseason. He said he needs to see his candidates perform in games before making a decision.

"Obviously, you want to see them start to separate at some point," Bowles said. "It's going to come down to playing in games. As far as getting more reps in practice as we go, we'll see what happens."

In other words, Bowles might pare it down to a two-man competition at some point. Ideally, he'd like to have a front-runner for the start of training camp. That way, he can give that player the majority of the first-team reps to prepare him for the season.

Something tells me McCown will win by a TKO. Not only is he familiar with their West Coast-based offense, but he's also a natural leader and has been well-received in the locker room. He's embracing his role as a mentor to Hackenberg and Petty and sharing his experiences from early in his career. This is McCown's 10th team, so, yeah, he could tell some stories.

"When I'm talking to Christian and I'm talking to Bryce, I feel like I'm talking to myself back then," the 37-year-old McCown said. "That's what I want to share with them and make their journeys better."

Hackenberg and Petty were unavailable to the media. The Jets are restricting access to the quarterbacks the next four weeks, limiting them to two sessions apiece over the six days of media availability.

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

LOL rebuilding with a 38 year old QB who is lifetime 18-42 in the NFL. 

I LOVE THE NEW YORK JETS. 

Exactly how is this a factual statement . The Jets are unveiling a new offensive scheme by a rookie offensive coordinator . There are 3 QB presently on the roster trying to learn and execute this offense . Of the 3, only 1, the aforementioned 38 year old has enough experience behind center having played in multiple schemes over his career . All 3 QBs  will be allowed to have equal opportunities during current OTAs and training camp to make their case all from the same learning curve . Those are the facts, and the battle will be won by whoever steps out as the clear leader  .

Let the best man start until he proves he isn't good enough and go from there .

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

Exactly how is this a factual statement . The Jets are unveiling a new offensive scheme by a rookie offensive coordinator . There are 3 QB presently on the roster trying to learn and execute this offense . Of the 3, only 1, the aforementioned 38 year old has enough experience behind center having played in multiple schemes over his career . All 3 QBs  will be allowed to have equal opportunities during current OTAs and training camp to make their case all from the same learning curve . Those are the facts, and the battle will be won by whoever steps out as the clear leader  .

Sorry but that is just a completely wrong way to look at it IMO. It should not matter at all if either Hack or Petty is actually better than McCown by the end of TC. It is likely they wont be. But they will not develop without getting first team reps and 2nd team reps and STARTING IN GAMES. We need to develop a QB, and playing in games is critical. Put the best between Petty and Hack out there, coach him hard and let him develop. I think both will be better than McCown through experience. Starting McCown is only repeating the complete folly of the last 2 years. A rebuilding team starting a veteran retread that actually kinda sucks whether or not he has command of the offense and all that crap, is the absolute dumbest thing the team can do. There is literally no upside to the move at all in any way. McCown should share his knowledge in the QB room and work with the young guys to share his knowledge but he should get at most 10% of the snaps in TC, and only start a game if both Petty and Hack are injured. I honestly think anything else is madness. Bowles should try and win every game but he should understand that forcing a veteran in an attempt to squeak out a couple additional victories is completely meaningless and sets this organization back. It baffles me that people do not see this.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Sorry but that is just a completely wrong way to look at it IMO. It should not matter at all if either Hack or Petty is actually better than McCown by the end of TC. It is likely they wont be. But they will not develop without getting first team reps and 2nd team reps and STARTING IN GAMES. We need to develop a QB, and playing in games is critical. Put the best between Petty and Hack out there, coach him hard and let him develop. I think both will be better than McCown through experience. Starting McCown is only repeating the complete folly of the last 2 years. A rebuilding team starting a veteran retread that actually kinda sucks whether or not he has command of the offense and all that crap, is the absolute dumbest thing the team can do. There is literally no upside to the move at all in any way. McCown should share his knowledge in the QB room and work with the young guys to share his knowledge but he should get at most 10% of the snaps in TC, and only start a game if both Petty and Hack are injured. I honestly think anything else is madness. Bowles should try and win every game but he should understand that forcing a veteran in an attempt to squeak out a couple additional victories is completely meaningless and sets this organization back. It baffles me that people do not see this.

this guy gets it.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

If I was looking at this from a Fan's point of view, that is exactly what I would say, but since I'm not, then I stand by my assessment . Yes, the Jets need to develop a QB, but the Jets also need to win games or at the very least look like they are trying to win games . Furthermore, with such a young team the Jets also need to develop an offensive line, a running game and some receivers . What sense does it make putting a QB out there if he can't execute what you want  to establish .   I have no doubt that Hack and or Petty will have the opportunity to play this year, but that opportunity should be earned, not given and if neither can beat out McCown, then neither should be allowed to start the season .

We need to develop a team, not just  a QB  .

26 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If I was looking at this from a Fan's point of view, that is exactly what I would say, but since I'm not, then I stand by my assessment . Yes, the Jets need to develop a QB, but the Jets also need to win games or at the very least look like they are trying to win games . Furthermore, with such a young team the Jets also need to develop an offensive line, a running game and some receivers . What sense does it make putting a QB out there if he can't execute what you want  to establish .   I have no doubt that Hack and or Petty will have the opportunity to play this year, but that opportunity should be earned, not given and if neither can beat out McCown, then neither should be allowed to start the season .

+1. The bold is the proper counter response. 

That pretty much was going to be my counter argument. I AGREE and UNDERSTAND wanting Hack & Petty to receive the majority of the reps, but THERE ARE ALSO 10 OTHER PLAYERS that need to run the offense COMPETENTLY. It's universally accepted that the QB pups will have a longer learning curve than McCown to grasp the new offense, and you can't retard the rest of the team in installing a new scheme simply to accommodate your developing QBs at THIS point in May. Come TC, #5 & #9 SHOULD have immersed themselves in the playbook and HOPEFULLY their natural (& superior) ability will have them overtake McCown by Mid-August. 

6 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

+1. The bold is the proper counter response. 

That pretty much was going to be my counter argument. I AGREE and UNDERSTAND wanting Hack & Petty to receive the majority of the reps, but THERE IS ALSO 10 OTHER PLAYERS that need to run the offense COMPETENTLY. It's universally accepted that the QB pups will have a longer learning curve than McCown to grasp the new offense, and you can retard the rest of the team in installing a new scheme simply to accommodate your developing QBs at THIS point in May. Come TC, #5 & #9 SHOULD have immersed themselves in the playbook and HOPEFULLY there natural superior ability will have them overtake McCown by Mid-August. 

This guy gets it .

36 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I dont agree with that at all. You develop a team BY developing a QB. Not the other way around. And the only way to develop them is to play period. If you keep trotting veteran QBs out there to "at least look like you are trying to win games" all you do is continuously set the franchise back farther and farther. It is a loser mentality quite honestly, a move made by people unwilling to fail. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

I dont agree with that at all. You develop a team BY developing a QB. Not the other way around. And the only way to develop them is to play period. If you keep trotting veteran QBs out there to "at least look like you are trying to win games" all you do is continuously set the franchise back farther and farther. It is a loser mentality quite honestly, a move made by people unwilling to fail. 

Look, if McCown goes out there and does a decent job but the Jets lose the majority of their games  we will have a new QB on this team next year from the draft  and players who have shown the ability to execute the scheme . If either of the 2 kids go out there and mess up , we will still have the same new QB, but we will have players we still don't know about .

Josh McCown is here to hold the hands of our young QBs while they try to orchestrate John Morton's  offense . He also has to learn and execute that offense just in case the kids prove not to be ready  for the bright lights . It's up to the kids, not Bowles, McCown or Morton .

Take the Job or sit down and shut up .

35 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

mighty presumptuous of you.

And the POINT of his argument is that you can not have neophyte QBs HOLD BACK 10 other players in MAY OTAs when installing a NEW OFFENSE that MUST RUN smoothly - how do you prepare the OTHER 10 offensive players in MAY OTAs and not limit and waste time installing the new offense due to the mistakes of 2 under 25 y.o. QBs? you TROT OUT a VETERAN QB who can run the offense and ASSIST the other offensive players on where and when to be. 

Come TC, THEN you have more ground to stand on in your petulant rant of McCown running the OTAs. It's for the BETTER OF THE TEAM while the 2 QB neophytes are still ABSORBING CONCEPTS of the WCO which is like Remedial math to McCown at this point. 

B!tch in August, it's too early in the set up in May to cry over scheme installs in Ts and Shorts. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Statistical facts 18-42 NFL career = a LOSER 

38 years old is also a FACT

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Look, if McCown goes out there and does a decent job but the Jets lose the majority of their games  we will have a new QB on this team next year from the draft  and players who have shown the ability to execute the scheme . If either of the 2 kids go out there and mess up , we will still have the same new QB, but we will have players we still don't know about .

Josh McCown is here to hold the hands of our young QBs while they try to orchestrate John Morton's  offense . He also has to learn and execute that offense just in case the kids prove not to be ready  for the bright lights . It's up to the kids, not Bowles, McCown or Morton .

Take the Job or sit down and shut up .

One of the dumbest arguments I have ever read. By that logic you would never ever start a young QB

28 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

One of the dumbest arguments I have ever read. By that logic you would never ever start a young QB

Haven't we ruined enough young QBs playing them before they were ready just because of their draft status  . Hackenberg is 23 years old, and what he needs is stability in a scheme with repetitions . I was hoping that would be in Gailey's system with the QB coach taking over when the old man retired, but I didn't materialized . Yesterday was the start of Morton's scheme with a QB coach who has coordinator experience that would enable what it is I'm looking for .

If this works, Either Morton leaves to take a HC job or takes over for Bowles allowing continuity within the scheme . I'm interested in 1 of these young QBs developing and the drafting of another to either be the Franchise leader or the backup  to hopefully the proven starter . It calls for patience from the owner and progress with continuity within a scheme something the Jets are not known for . It doesn't include McCown beyond this year but hopefully, he will have served the purposed he was signed for .  

Like the coach says, on this team, you earn your playing time  .

No matter what including reports that Hack couldn't throw a ten yard pass in practice to Petty (that has to be BS) and that he is wildly inaccurate (that could be true) there is no doubt he has to get a lot of reps and extensive playing time in exhibition games. He did play in two pre-season games last year and was ok in one of them and real bad in the other. But we have to see him on the field in game action and this probably includes regular season. I think McCown will win the job but he's injury prone and some time in 2017 our young guns are going to have to play. 

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

SOJF response to a non-story. You are like a moth to flame when it comes to these types of stories. Mccown wasn't named the starter. Just take a chill-pill and wait and see who is eventually named the starter for week 1. 

18 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

stop with the nonsense the Jets are not rebuilding with McCown.... Hes here for a year and if our two young QB's don't show something this season the Jets will make a move in next years draft. Hell they may make a move even if they play good. I would think Petty or Hack would have to be downright great for the Jets not to target a QB in next years draft . In that case Petty and Hack would be battling for back up QB spot. 

The Jets didn't give Josh McCown $6 million for one year to stand on the sidelines and hold a clipboard.  Unless Petty or Hackenberg totally light it up in training camp and preseason, the Jets are going into the season with McCown as the starter.

It's not the way I would manage a rebuilding team, but there is little doubt in my mind this is exactly what the Jets will do.  I happen to think McCown is a bad quarterback so his time as starter isn't going to last long.  All three quarterbacks will get their shot this season.

This is just SAD. There is no upside to playing McCown. I wouldn't have even signed him. We need to play Hack or Petty enough to know what we have; Give Petty 2-4 games. Give Hack 4-6 games. if Petty or Hack have promise play them for the rest of the year and give them experience. If neither shows promise it is time to move on and draft a QB in 2018.

Playing McCown does NOTHING but maybe win an extra game or two and drop us out of the QB lottery. McCown's only value is a veteran to help with prep, practice and attitude.

A player like McCown should only play on a team with a SHOT at the playoffs.

Of course, this could just be shoddy reporting too :-)

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Haven't we ruined enough young QBs playing them before they were ready just because of their draft status  . Hackenberg is 23 years old, and what he needs is stability in a scheme with repetitions . I was hoping that would be in Gailey's system with the QB coach taking over when the old man retired, but I didn't materialized . Yesterday was the start of Morton's scheme with a QB coach who has coordinator experience that would enable what it is I'm looking for .

If this works, Either Morton leaves to take a HC job or takes over for Bowles allowing continuity within the scheme . I'm interested in 1 of these young QBs developing and the drafting of another to either be the Franchise leader or the backup  to hopefully the proven starter . It calls for patience from the owner and progress with continuity within a scheme something the Jets are not known for . It doesn't include McCown beyond this year but hopefully, he will have served the purposed he was signed for .  

Like the coach says, on this team, you earn your playing time  .

Still makes no sense. QBs need reps and playing time. Starting McCown steals the young guys both of them. Sitting Hack again is just a bad idea. I just fundamentally disagree with this approach. Always have. It does not move the team forward.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

SOJF response to a non-story. You are like a moth to flame when it comes to these types of stories. Mccown wasn't named the starter. Just take a chill-pill and wait and see who is eventually named the starter for week 1. 

DIEHARD fan response is more like it.  

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

stop with the nonsense the Jets are not rebuilding with McCown.... Hes here for a year and if our two young QB's don't show something this season the Jets will make a move in next years draft. Hell they may make a move even if they play good. I would think Petty or Hack would have to be downright great for the Jets not to target a QB in next years draft . In that case Petty and Hack would be battling for back up QB spot. 

Ok then if we aren't rebuilding then what the hell do you you call what we are doing? He's 18-42 as a starter in the NFL what can he possibly bring here? We need to see if we have anything in Petty or Hackenberg, McCown is a non factor here this year next year or any year. 

51 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

This is just SAD. There is no upside to playing McCown. I wouldn't have even signed him. We need to play Hack or Petty enough to know what we have; Give Petty 2-4 games. Give Hack 4-6 games. if Petty or Hack have promise play them for the rest of the year and give them experience. If neither shows promise it is time to move on and draft a QB in 2018.

Playing McCown does NOTHING but maybe win an extra game or two and drop us out of the QB lottery. McCown's only value is a veteran to help with prep, practice and attitude.

A player like McCown should only play on a team with a SHOT at the playoffs.

Of course, this could just be shoddy reporting too :-)

Other side here- Petty and Hackenberg give non competitive efforts in practice leaving the Jets with no choice but playing guys like Fitz and Mccown.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Other side here- Petty and Hackenberg give non competitive efforts in practice leaving the Jets with no choice but playing guys like Fitz and Mccown.

Then why didn't they draft a QB at 6 or sign a decent free agent QB.  

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

DIEHARD fan response is more like it.  

Ok then if we aren't rebuilding then what the hell do you you call what we are doing? He's 18-42 as a starter in the NFL what can he possibly bring here? We need to see if we have anything in Petty or Hackenberg, McCown is a non factor here this year next year or any year. 

re read my post and understand what I said before you reply. Its obvious we are rebuilding and it seems obvious why McCown is here and its certainly NOT part of the rebuild other than maybe step in for a few games then allow one of the young QB's to step in

Seriously going to buy a new outfit, pour a snifter of chianti, and sit on my chaise reading JetNation for hours and hours when McCown is named the starter for Week One. The derpitude will rain down in buckets and I will drink all of it right up.

Archived