Jets ditching LB experiment and unleashing beast in Richardson

Gas2No99

Jets ditching LB experiment and unleashing beast in Richardson

DGM160925731_Jets_at_Chiefs.jpg

Posted on May 23, 2017

Hybrid defensive front-man Sheldon Richardson appears to still be a part of the New York Jets’ plans next season — for now at least.

Jets defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers assured fans that the team was done with trying him out at linebacker. It’s time to take him back to his roots next season and make him a permanent fixture at defensive end. Linebacker Richardson is gone and Richardson the quarterback-hunter will finally return to the lineup.

This move has been a longtime coming considering how badly he has struggled playing off the line. He was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2013, and he made the Pro Bowl the following year. Since those two seasons, his on-field production has taken a significant hit. Last year especially was his worst season in the NFL. He finished the year with 38 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two pass deflections.

Playing out of position was without question the downfall of Richardson’s production, and now that he’s making the permanent switch back to defensive end, he can focus on getting after the quarterback and clogging up the line. His versatility allows him to play up and down the defensive front, but he’s definitely at his best when he’s freed up as a pass rusher.

The only question is if his behavior has matured enough for the Jets to even put him on the field. There were numerous off-field situations last season that had the team considering trading Richardson to another team. That still might have happened if not for the difficulty in moving a marquee player with one year left on his contract. The Jets were initially seeking a first-round pick, but no team in their right mind was going to dole that type of compensation out ahead of the draft.

So they are stuck with Richardson for now.

If they can keep his head on straight and scrap the linebacker experiment, things should go over more smoothly next season. Richardson will basically be auditioning for a big contract next year when he enters free agency.

If he wants his money, it would behoove him to be more productive on the field and steer clear of negative, non-football related headlines.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Brandon Marshall gone, Jets' Sheldon Richardson poised for monster season

Sheldon Richardson says the Jets locker room is a happier place without Brandon Marshall.

It might be patently ridiculous that the Jets have entertained the idea of trading Sheldon Richardson for more than six months, but the team has unwittingly granted the uber-talented defensive lineman two wishes: 1) He no longer has to share space with his nemesis, and 2) He’s through being the utility man.

Richardson delivered a zinger Tuesday after the team’s first OTA practice that was vintage Richardson: Hilarious and probably unnecessary. 

It’s no secret that Richardson’s rift with Brandon Marshall was at the heart of the Jets locker room dysfunction last season, a pair of passionate grown men, who frankly both were to blame. 

The lineman’s disdain for the wide receiver bubbled to the surface during a heated verbal exchange after a Week 3 meltdown in Kansas City and climaxed amid a Christmas Eve massacre in Foxborough. 

Jets' Marshall, Richardson haven't spoken since verbal shot

Richardson, the center of trade speculation, evidently couldn’t let bygones be bygones, taking one final (?) swipe at Marshall, who signed with the Giants after getting cut this offseason. 

“I enjoy being here,” Richardson said in front of his locker on Tuesday. “The locker room’s a whole lot easier to get along with now.” 

He smiled at reporters wanting further explanation. “Y'all are thirsty. Let’s just say we got 15 reasons why it’s better.”

Marshall, of course, was No. 15. 

Brandon Marshall has lofty goals for his final 2 NFL seasons

The audience chuckled, but the shame of it is that Richardson is more similar than dissimilar to the man he couldn’t co-exist with in the locker room. Todd Bowles downplayed the notion that this fractured relationship somehow affected Richardson’s play in easily the least productive of his career. The coach also said that Marshall didn’t hurt team chemistry last season. 

Regardless, Richardson is clearly happier without Marshall around. He also should be pleased with defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers’ claim that using him at multiple positions like linebacker is over. 

The Jets' logjam at defensive line prompted Bowles and Rodgers to sometimes play the ultra-athletic Richardson in positions other than his natural three-technique defensive tackle spot that got him 2013 Defensive Rookie of the Year honors and a 2014 Pro Bowl berth. 

One: He’s one of my favorite players,” Rodgers said. “Two: We ask him to do a lot of stuff and (that’s) probably a detriment to him. In one game… he played middle linebacker. And he never said a word. ‘Whatever you need me to do, Coach.’ At the end of the day, he’s a three-technique. That’s what he needs to play.” 

So his days of playing stand-up outside linebacker are finally over? 

Never say never,” Rodgers said with a laugh. “But we’re going to try to let him do what he does best.”:angry:

Richardson, coming off a career-low 1 ½ sacks, didn’t quite agree with Rodgers’ belief that “he has something to prove” though. 

Brandon Marshall feuded with Sheldon Richardson during a miserable season for Jets last year.
(Kathy Willens/AP)

“I’m proven, honestly,” Richardson said. “I just got to get some stats. Contract year.”

It’s frankly absurd that the Jets shopped Richardson before last year’s trade deadline and during the draft. Teams interested in Richardson balked at the idea of paying the fully guaranteed $8.1 million in the final year of his contract, according to sources. It obviously made no sense for Richardson to take a pay cut, so he remained with the team that drafted him. 

The Jets, however, are still amenable to moving Richardson, which isn’t exactly sound logic given that they’d have to take pennies on the dollar for a talented player on a roster bereft of talent. 

There have been concerns on One Jets Drive about Richardson’s tardiness/absences to weight-lifting sessions in the past, according to sources, but his skills are undeniable. He also happens to be the second-best talent on the roster behind Leonard Williams. 

The organization evidently doesn’t believe that Richardson fits with the new locker room culture they’re hoping to create in the third year under Mike Maccagnan and Bowles. But it’d be unfair to paint the fifth-year defensive lineman as a rogue element. 

“He’s a beast,” wide receiver Quincy Enunwa told the Daily News. “He’s an athletic freak. His work ethic on the field is crazy. You can just see every down he’s going hard. That’s why I respect his game.”

Yeah. Who needs that, right? 

Richardson, of course, is no angel. His off-field transgressions that landed him two league-issued suspensions the past two seasons shouldn’t be discounted, but anyone who has spent time around him knows that his passion on gamedays is exactly what the Jets need. 

There’s a feeling within the organization that perhaps a change of scenery might be best for both parties, but that’s a bunch of hooey. What is best for the Jets is to keep their options open along the defensive line during this rebuilding season. 

If Richardson shines and Muhammad Wilkerson flops for a second consecutive season, then keep Richardson and bid Wilkerson adieu. If Wilkerson shines and Richardson flops, then gladly take your 2019 compensatory draft pick when Richardson leaves. 

Richardson claimed that he didn’t pay much attention to the trade rumors during the draft, but he’s no dummy. He’s fully aware of the landscape. He said he’s happy to do “whatever I have to do to help this team win” this season. 

“I got some trade value or I don’t,” Richardson said. “Either way, I’m a Jet. Until I’m not a Jet, I’m here. Playing. Full force.” :blink:

Get ready for a monster season.  

honestly, thats great and all, i hope our defense develops fast but im hoping for the #1 overall or something of that sort so we can get that franchise QB. kinda sucks to say but we need that QB to finish it all up.

6 hours ago, pointman said:

I love Sheldon. I love his on the field work ethic. I hope we lock him up long term. 

I would only give him at most a 2 year deal.  But he's going to want Mo money plus next season will be the year he steps up because it's a contract year

Bowles has ruined both players

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

This dunce will want $100 Million.

He will get 8-10 sacks, and want 100 Mill just watch. Jets will have to cut Mo and sign Sheldon, or keep Mo. Personally I'm not impressed with either at the moment.

Get rid of them both. Richardson has outlasted his welcome. I don't care if he gets 20 sacks, he's a cancer and a selfish, reckless child.  Mo has seen better days. His injury has significantly hampered his ability, Even if he bounces back and has a decent year, he's not the player he once was and isn't worth all that money.  Redo. Move on. Build the line around Big Cat ? 

It's not rocket science to realize moving a DE to LB hurt the Defense last year. Richardson is a D-Line man. Put him on the line and let him do his thing. Mo, Shelly and Leo playing at their potential in their positions is a D-Line I'll take any day. Not every NFL player is a model citizen off the field or even in the locker room in case anyone hasn't noticed. These guys are paid to do their job on the field. If they play at the level they're capable of the Jets will have a force to be reckoned with. Bowles can get back to his blitz schemes we saw in his first year, that worked,  if the secondary can play man coverage. They weren't capable of it last year and tried to get creative moving personnel around and shuffling between the 4-3 and 3-4 sets. Coaches realized it and went big in the draft on secondary. 

43 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Get rid of them both. Richardson has outlasted his welcome. I don't care if he gets 20 sacks, he's a cancer and a selfish, reckless child.  Mo has seen better days. His injury has significantly hampered his ability, Even if he bounces back and has a decent year, he's not the player he once was and isn't worth all that money.  Redo. Move on. Build the line around Big Cat ? 

I agree with the Richardson opinion. The Mo opinion seems overly negative and myopic. Why would you suggest that you pin all your hopes on a single guy when you have two guys who can play. Yeah, Wilkerson had a down year. What makes you think he can only bounce back to "decent"? Is it just hate or do you have some tangible reason for such a negative prognosis?

11 minutes ago, phill1c said:

I agree with the Richardson opinion. The Mo opinion seems overly negative and myopic. Why would you suggest that you pin all your hopes on a single guy when you have two guys who can play. Yeah, Wilkerson had a down year. What makes you think he can only bounce back to "decent"? Is it just hate or do you have some tangible reason for such a negative prognosis?

Reading is fun da mental. I gave my reasoning. Even if he bounces back, do you really want to invest all that money on a guy who's suffered such a significant injury. You can get pretty much equal production from someone at half the cost.  He's been a good Jet but its a what have you done for me lately business. Its  money better spent elsewhere like getting a premium LT to protect our new franchise QB we get in next year's draft. There's more - figure it out.

Richardson can easily have a pro bowl year this year. He has the talent. The question will still remain whether he is someone you can give a long term contract to given his history of making dumb decisions. Mo/Williams/Richardson/Lee/Adams/Maye/Jenkins could be the core of an elite defense in a year or 2. 

18 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Reading is fun da mental. I gave my reasoning. Even if he bounces back, do you really want to invest all that money on a guy who's suffered such a significant injury. You can get pretty much equal production from someone at half the cost.  He's been a good Jet but its a what have you done for me lately business. Its  money better spent elsewhere like getting a premium LT to protect our new franchise QB we get in next year's draft. There's more - figure it out.

What have ANY of the Jets DEs done for anyone lately?

Also, what is this "such a significant injury" you're talking about? Do you even know? The fact is that the Jets actually invested in Wilkerson knowing exactly what they were getting, since he broke his leg prior to signing the contract. So, unless there is some other injury that you're privy to, your case seems weak.

as far as "there's more - figure it out..." No, I don't think there's more. And it's not my job to figure out YOUR opinions. It's your job to make them understood, if you care to. And if you don't care to, I certainly don't.

1 minute ago, phill1c said:

Also, what is this "such a significant injury" you're talking about? Do you even know? The fact is that the Jets actually invested in Wilkerson knowing exactly what they were getting, since he broke his leg prior to signing the contract. So, unless there is some other injury that you're privy to, your case seems weak.

as far as "there's more - figure it out..." No, I don't think there's more. And it's not my job to figure out YOUR opinions. It's your job to make them understood, if you care to. And if you don't care to, I certainly don't.

Eat a snickers bar.

11 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

With Brandon Marshall gone, Jets' Sheldon Richardson poised for monster season

So, Brandon Marshall was holding him back? Horrible headline.

Anyway, Sheldon has beast potential... it would be nice, since we've been trying to trade him for 2 years for a 1st rounder, if they'd play him like a 1st rounder... dumb asses.

25 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Is it that time of month for you? Understandable.

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

So, Brandon Marshall was holding him back? Horrible headline.

Anyway, Sheldon has beast potential... it would be nice, since we've been trying to trade him for 2 years for a 1st rounder, if they'd play him like a 1st rounder... dumb asses.

I loved that one.

"That annoying WR made me play bad."   Yeah, did he turn off your alarm clock so you couldn't make meetings?

You have 3 DE.   All I hear about is how the defense will get worn down as the game goes on.   Just rotate the 3 of them, so they all are fresh for 50+ snaps a game.  Create competition.  You want to play?   Produce.  You miss a meeting, you get 10 snaps next week, see how that does for your contract.

14 minutes ago, Powpow said:

Is it that time of month for you? Understandable.

I think his point was that you just made statements with no supporting evidence and then proceeded to blame him for not understanding your poorly reasoned argument. 

Mo has been productive every season except 1. Broken legs tend to affect players short term rather than long term and Wilk's injury was at a time where his fitness and recovery schedules overlapped with the season. There's reason to believe he will return to form, and that form is the 2nd best 3-4 defensive end in the league.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think his point was that you just made statements with no supporting evidence and the proceeded to blame him for not understanding your poorly reasoned argument. 

Mo has been productive every season except 1. Broken legs tend to affect players short term rather than long term and Wilk's injury was at a time where his fitness and recovery schedules overlapped with the season. There's reason to believe he will return to form, and that form is the 2nd best 3-4 defensive end in the league.

So says you. Mo did nothing last year and we're paying him 17 mill. Again, even if he has a good year it's wiser to move on from a guy who's going to cost a small fortune and who suffered a major injury. Same goes for Decker. By the time this team gets talent to compete, both Mo and Decker will be long gone. 

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Hope he has 8 sacks before the trade deadline. Maybe we can get something in return then.

This is what I'm hoping for at this point. Of course, if that happens, then they won't trade him.

Instead the 8 sacks will be the reason the team extends him (but first they'll franchise tag him, have him hold out, etc.).

Or even if they are still resolved to trading him despite him tearing up the league through mid-late October, their previous demands (which no one bit on) will increase to a 1st and a 2nd, meaning they'll still be out of touch with what anyone else is willing to surrender for Sheldon.

Archived