kelly

new offensive coordinator John Morton,.. Metallica & QB's ~ ~ ~

Say this for the New York Jets: They always keep it interesting. Our question of the week focuses on their ... uh ... unconventional quarterback battle.

Is Todd Bowles handling this QB competition correctly? It makes no sense that he says McCown needs more work and he gets less reps #jetsmail

@RichCimini : Yes, Eric, that was a curious comment. Bowles could do a better job of explaining things, but he obviously isn't committed to full transparency. Here's my take :

I still think Josh McCown will be the opening-day quarterback, barring injury. Will he be 100 percent ready from a physical standpoint? Probably not, simply because he has played so little in the preseason. Granted, this isn't the traditional way to prepare a starter for the regular season, but there's nothing traditional about this so-called quarterback competition.

The Jets still are trying to find out about Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, neither of whom has demonstrated the ability to be a No. 1 quarterback. In fact, Hackenberg has gone 26 straight possessions without a score, dating to last preseason. That is a crazy number.Given McCown's durability issues, Bowles needs to have faith in his No. 2 quarterback, and I don't think he feels that way right now about Hackenberg and Petty. That's why I suspect both will see a decent amount of time against the New York Giants. If it were up to me, I'd start McCown against the Giants, play him two or three series and give Hackenberg a chance to play behind the first-team offensive line. Petty, too, time permitting.

You certainly can criticize Bowles for paying more attention to his likely backups than his presumptive starter, but this is an unusual situation. Let's be real, the Jets aren't a one-quarterback team. They'll use two, maybe three this season.I also think they scaled back McCown's reps because he may have experienced some arm fatigue early in camp. Remember, he's 38 years old, and they want to keep his arm fresh.

Bottom line : This is a bad situation. To paraphrase John Madden, when you have three quarterbacks, you don't have any.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70662/is-todd-bowles-botching-the-jets-quarterback-competition

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

-- The choice comes down to this for Todd Bowles: Does he entrust his team to a rusty Josh McCown or does he take a leap with Bryce Petty based on one dazzling preseason performance against backups?

It can't be Christian Hackenberg, who squandered his opportunity the last two weeks.

Let's be honest, there are no great options for the New York Jets, who are doomed to a season of mediocre quarterback play (if they're lucky). The realdecision will be April 26, 2018, when it'll be Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Josh Rosen -- or another college hot-shot in the draft. Based on what we've seen over the last month, their current cast members are playing the role of set-up men.Bowles is expected to reveal his pick on Monday or Tuesday. No, the TV stations won't break into local programming to trumpet the news. Chances are, it'll be McCown, the man in the plastic bubble wrap. The 38-year-old has thrown only four more passes in the preseason than me. They might have to break out a can of Rustoleum to get him ready for the Buffalo Bills on Sept. 10, thanks to an unconventional quarterback rotation.The Jets devoted the preseason to Hackenberg, hoping -- praying? -- he'd show enough to claim the starting job or at least establish himself as a viable alternative. The outcome was painfully obvious: He's not ready to be a No. 2 quarterback, much less a starter.

In 13 possessions as a starter, covering two games, Hackenberg failed to get the team in the end zone. (He threw a late touchdown on Saturday night after replacing the injured Petty.) If Bowles were to anoint him, it would be a total flush of the season -- and a bad message to the locker room. Hackenberg should be the No. 3.Petty is a fan favorite because of his gunslinger mentality, and he further endeared himself to Jets Nation with a three-touchdown, 250-yard performance against the New York Giants. He came out of the game with a minor knee sprain. While he should be available for the opener, as ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported, it's unclear if his practice time will be affected. That could impact his status.You have to admire Petty's resilience. At one point in camp, he appeared to be out of the competition, as his practice reps had almost vanished. He battled his way back into the conversation, but here's the thing: He hasn't faced a starting defense since last December. Against the Giants, he faced backups and capitalized on several coverage breakdowns.

No doubt Petty has grown as a quarterback since last year, when he started four games in garbage time, but his body of work this summer is incomplete. The organization doesn't see him as the long-term answer, so he'd be keeping the spot warm for Hackenberg, who will be keeping it warm for next year's No. 1 pick.

My choice: I'd make Petty the No. 2, giving McCown a short leash.

If Bowles starts Petty, it'll prove he never had any intention of riding with McCown, their so-called bridge quarterback. The man hasn't received a fair shot; we're talking about one series, a total of seven plays.Conversely, you could argue it's unfair to start McCown, who was a virtual bystander last week in practice. He's set up to fail because of his relative inactivity and lack of chemistry with the receivers.It's highly unusual for an opening-day starter to sit for three straight weeks in the preseason. Robert Griffin III had no preseason snaps in 2013 and started in Week 1, but he was held out because of a surgically repaired knee. RG III was out of sync and wound up losing his first three starts.

"I feel like, absolutely, I'd be ready to go," said McCown, who has made a career of saying things like that.

So now we wait for Bowles to make his multiple choice: A, B or C.

They'll have to wait until next spring for D.

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70711/jets-multiple-choice-at-quarterback-a-b-or-c-and-wait-for-d

-- So Josh McCown wins the New York Jets' quarterback competition.

Actually, there's a better way to say it:

He didn't lose the competition. Big difference.

This isn't a triumph for him or the organization because the only thing it accomplished was to underscore the Jets' dire situation at quarterback. McCown was the favorite since Day 1, so this is hardly a franchise-altering bombshell. The bigger story, one that casts a pall over this so-called coronation, is that Christian Hackenberg didn't even challenge for the job.I never expected him to overtake McCown, but he finished third in a three-man race, unofficially -- and that's disappointing. Think about it: Mike Maccagnan's second-round project from last year wasn't able to push a 38-year-old journeyman who was limited to seven reps in the first three preseason games. That is troubling on multiple levels.

It's premature to call Hackenberg a bust, but he's not anywhere close to being NFL-ready. He has had two starts and a long relief appearance this preseason, and his offense has surrendered more points (16) than it scored (nine) -- two pick-6s and a safety, if you're keeping track. Hackenberg's field awareness and pre-snap decisions are highly suspect.He can't be trusted to start a game. He can't be trusted to be the primary backup. He should be the No. 3 quarterback, assuming Bryce Petty (sprained knee) is available for the season opener."There must have been someone in that building who pushed for Hackenberg extremely hard to get him drafted in the second round," an opposing scout said last week. "He's everything you want from a look standpoint -- smart, articulate, good size -- but it doesn't match up with his tape."

Maccagnan fell in love with Hackenberg and put his reputation on the line by drafting him a couple of rounds before many expected. Recognizing he wasn't ready to play, the Jets showed patience, essentially redshirting him as a rookie. They changed quarterback coaches, bringing in the well-respected Jeremy Bates. They signed the ideal mentor in McCown, an unselfish, positive influence for young quarterbacks.They removed Hackenberg's training wheels and sent him on his way, expecting to see progress. Is he better than last year? No question. Will he continue to improve? Yes, probably, but now he's on the bench and practice reps are scarce for backups.At some point, Hackenberg will get a shot because -- let's not forget -- the Jets need to form an evaluation before next spring's blockbuster quarterback draft. But now, based on his preseason, the long-anticipated debut could get pushed back.

This wasn't entirely his fault, not with the personnel deficiencies on offense. Every quarterback needs a dynamic playmaker, and the Jets don't have one, adding stress to the position. Petty handled it better than Hackenberg, but he also had the benefit of facing second- and third-team defenses.

The Cleveland Browns are in a similar situation -- rebuilding -- and they've handed the reins to rookie DeShone Kizer, a second-round pick. Kizer didn't win the job with a lights-out preseason, but he showed enough to make them willing to live with the inevitable growing pains. The Jets didn't see enough in Hackenberg to make them believe the bumpy ride would be worth it.

>    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/70717/hollow-outcome-to-jets-qb-battle-what-the-hack-happened

-- The Jets three-man quarterback competition wasn't very competitive. Through organized team activities, minicamp, training camp and two weeks of preseason games, it was clear 38-year-old Josh McCown was the best the Jets had. 

As crazy as that sounds. 

Coach Todd Bowles made things official Monday, naming McCown the starter for the season opener against the Bills. He gives the Jets the "best chance to win," Bowles said. Which, after watching Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, is hard to deny.Now that the summer's biggest storyline finally has an ending, another question has come to the forefront: Should the Jets be worried about Hackenberg's development?A second-round pick a year ago, Hackenberg had every chance to win the starting job. He out-repped McCown and Petty the final three weeks of camp. He started the last two preseason games. The Jets practically begged him to show them something -- anything -- to make them confident in naming him the starter. 

He couldn't meet the challenge. 

Unofficially, Hackenberg completed just over 50 percent of his passes in team drills in camp. In three preseason games, he led the Jets on just two scoring drives in 18 attempts. 

In those games, Hackenberg completed 32 of 52 passes (61.5 percent) for 267 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. That's a yards per attempt of 5.1, and a quarterback rating of 65.1. Versus the Lions and Giants -- Hackenberg's two starts -- he was a combined 14 of 27 (51 percent). He threw two pick-sixes.

It wasn't pretty. At times, it was downright ugly. 

It's not uncommon for second-round picks to come in, play, and have success right away. Derek Carr did it with the Raiders. The Browns just named rookie Deshone Kizer the starter.So why can't Hackenberg find any semblance of success in now his second year? Is it a serious issue?

Watch the video above and find out. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/should_jets_be_concerned_with_where_christian_hack.html#incart_river_index

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

The opener will mark the debut of new Jets offensive coordinator John Morton, who hasn't called plays since he was the USC coordinator in 2010. "I've been around some great coaches that have prepared me, and a lot of great players that have prepared me," he said. "I've been in a couple of Super Bowl games and a lot of playoff games. I feel really comfortable going into this game, calling plays for the first time."

>     http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/new-york-jets

~ ~ 7. Heeeere's Johnny : New offensive coordinator John Morton walked into his news conference the other day, unshaven, looking like he had just pulled an all-nighter. He acknowledged he hadn't been getting much sleep, adding, "That's OK. That's what I love about this job."

No surprise. His first boss, Jon Gruden, told me months ago that Morton is an all-night grinder. Recalling their days with the Oakland Raiders, Gruden said, "He slept in the office. He got there, he stayed there and he didn't go home. He loved it."I like Morton's no-nonsense approach with the players and his emphasis on fundamentals. He's an NFL lifer getting his first coordinator shot at age 47, which makes him an outlier in a profession that is getting younger. Who knows? Maybe Todd Bowles uncovered a gem. We'll find out soon enough.

rest of above article : 

>     http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71047/jets-and-bills-begin-season-with-eye-on-the-same-doggone-prize

28 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Morton called one of the worst games ive ever seen week 1.  Guy took 0 chances.  Hes got no balls.  Shouldnt have been allowed back into the locker room.

tumblr_ndn3nt65b71r62mtoo1_500.gif?w=110

:rolleyes:

It could be a long time before Christian Hackenberg gets a shot, if ever

Todd Bowles finally has ended his silly shell game, declaring the quarterback under shell No. 2 is Bryce Petty, not Christian Hackenberg. Just as everybody suspected.

Why Bowles dragged it out for two weeks is anyone's guess, but let's put that aside and focus on the bigger story -- the ramifications. By declaring that Petty "has been the two" all along and will remain Josh McCown's primary backup for the foreseeable future, Bowles has created a scenario where Hackenberg could spend most of the season on the bench -- maybe the entire year.

That would be bitterly disappointing for the Jets because one of the goals this season is -- was? -- to get a long look at Hackenberg, determining whether he's the quarterback of the future.

I think we know the answer to that question.

More importantly, I think the New York Jets know the answer. They probably knew it a year ago, but it was confirmed by Hackenberg's struggles in the preseason. Not only did he miss an opportunity to claim the starting job, but he also lost the backup job.

He was 0-2 in the Summer of Hack.

As a result, Hackenberg is at the bottom of the depth chart for the second straight year, certainly not what the Jets had in mind when they made him a second-round pick in 2016. Barring injuries, the only way he will start a game is if Bowles plays late-season leap frog, moving him over Petty just for the sake of seeing him in a game. By then, the season will be long gone.The moment he turns to Hackenberg, Bowles is basically announcing he's moving on to 2018. No coach can do that in September or October and expect to maintain credibility in the locker room. I'm sure the pro-tanking faction of the fan base wants to see Hackenberg now, but what's the point? Why play a liability? Why buy a stock if you know the price is going to drop?

Trying to be kind, Bowles said Hackenberg is the No. 3 quarterback because "he’s the newest of the bunch. The other two guys have played in the league. Bryce played the year before him. [Hackenberg is] learning a new offense. He made progress. It doesn't say anything bad about him. He made progress. His chance will come, and he'll have time to fight again."Bowles sounds like he's committed to Petty as the No. 2, as he should be. He outplayed Hackenberg in the preseason and deserves to be the Next Man Up. The only reason Petty was inactive in Week 1, according to the coach, was because his recently sprained knee wasn't 100 percent. If Bowles decides to bench in McCown in the coming weeks, it would be for Petty, not Hackenberg. Nothing in practice, short of an injury, could change that.

All things considered, McCown has done a credible job leading the offense, but another couple of losses will fuel the pro-Petty campaign. Personally, I wouldn't consider a change until Week 5 at the earliest. If they're going to Cleveland at 0-4, it could be the right time to insert Petty, depending on how the offense is playing.It's probably not a matter of "if," but "when" for Petty, who admittedly failed to capitalize on his opportunity late last season. There are shortcomings in his game -- i.e. reading coverages -- but he's a resilient competitor. He'll get a second chance. The bigger question is, will Hackenberg get a first?

Bowles was asked if Hackenberg can be a productive starter, and his answer -- or non-answer -- was telling.

"He has to work his way up there," he said. "He has a lot of football to play, and he has a lot of chances to grow. So as he gains experience, we'll see."

>      http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71379/it-could-be-a-long-time-before-christian-hackenberg-gets-a-shot-if-ever

TOTAL QBR VS. RAIDERS

NO. 3 OVERALL, WEEK 3

It might be a little surprising to see a quarterback who lost 45-20 come in with the third-highest Total QBR of Week 2. But it's important to remember that Total QBR is a rate stat, not a counting stat, and it is opponent-adjusted. McCown had two big plays while the game was still close that boosted his QBR. First, he hit Jermaine Kearse for a 34-yard touchdown on a third down to cut the Jets' deficit to 14-7. Second, he scrambled for 22 yards on a third-and-18 to keep alive a drive that ended with a Jets field goal to get to 21-13. That was the high point, however, as the Jets' defense allowed the next 28 points. Overall, McCown's solid play on third down (see first pass plot chart below) helped propel him near the top of this list.

rest of above article : 

>  http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/20748744/nfl-best-worst-quarterbacks-week-2-2017