Christian Hackenberg- Foot Mechanics

JetNation

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The issue is he's got tiny hands for a QB. It's why he's so inconsistent throwing the ball. The footwork is fine. 

Why this is actually a red herring. Tony Romo's hands, just for the record: 8.88" (which may explain Jessica Simpson, but doesn't explain his career as a QB)

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/4/11161580/quarterback-hand-size-a-statistical-cautionary-tale

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JiF said:

I love these threads.  I really do.  I appreciate the effort and thought that go into them but this one...I'm just having a hard time with.  We're literally discussing a player who was taken in the 2nd round and the fact he doesnt know know you're supposed to step into a throw with your opposite foot pointing in the direction of your target.  

Like, we're actually going to debate whether or not Hack is capable of doing the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything and if a professional coaching staff is strong enough to teach this mechanic.  This is actually happening? 

Which is worse?

Tebow in the 1st or Hack in the 2nd?

Sad that professional scouts drafted these two very early to play QB in the NFL.  smh

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Give me in-depth, detailed articles everyday over the agenda driven narratives that are pushed in

the "mainstream" media.  Repeating the same things about the Jets from now until September is

beyond boring:

- They have the worst roster in the league

- They'll be in the top 5 of the 2018 draft

- These are the top QB's in the 2018 draft ...

Blah, blah, blah

Oh yeah... clearly the idea that the Jets have one of the worst rosters in the league is just agenda-driven "fake news." 

Ask yourself how many GMs would trade their current roster for the Jets.  One?  Maybe two?

Even if Hack does improve his mechanics in practice, as soon as he is facing full speed game action and gets walloped a few times by 300 lb men... he will revert right back to his bad habits.  But hey whatever... I probably just have an agenda.  Just find the one station or writer that tells you what you want to hear and stick to them.

6 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Which is worse?

Sad that professional scouts drafted these two very early to play QB in the NFL.  smh

Tebow was a prodigious winner in college whom everyone loves. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

And based on raw production, was a significantly superior prospect than Hackenberg.

And, to bring this lovely thread full circle, there were a million articles written about how all Tebow needed to do was fix his mechanics. I'd laugh about this, but all it means is that Christian Hackenberg is going to be playing an awful right field for the Mets in 2019.

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Say it. Hackenberg came from an institution that promoted a pedophile, and got just desserts. Don't go soft on me now.

I'd never use those things to slander a man who endured such trauma and is trying to rebuild his life. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

I love these threads.  I really do.  I appreciate the effort and thought that go into them but this one...I'm just having a hard time with.  We're literally discussing a player who was taken in the 2nd round and the fact he doesnt know know you're supposed to step into a throw with your opposite foot pointing in the direction of your target.  

Like, we're actually going to debate whether or not Hack is capable of doing the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything and if a professional coaching staff is strong enough to teach this mechanic.  This is actually happening? 

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

you got anything better to do today?

Exactly. Sure if there was game film on Hack in the pros this would be the discussion. There isn't. So right now this is what it is. :)

Hack had one of the worst offensive lines in college and took something like over 100 sacks in his career... The kid is gun shy... you can see him not stepping to the target and fading away when pressure is coming or the pocket is collapsing.

Changing his footwork mid-career (O'Brien Pro Style/Franklin Spread) definitely didn't help... but I think he's just more afraid of being hit, even if it's subconsciously... he took a beating and in the heat of the moment you see him revert

if he can break the bad habit, he's ridiculously talented and every bit as talented as anyone who's came out or is coming out... but that's a big if, Lord knows David Carr couldn't

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder what Jet fans will say if this kid starts the season, has a 50% completion percentage rate, throws for 3000 yards, with 20TDs and 12 INTs and the Jets win 7 games in the season .

Jets fans will label him a bust and crucify him as the reason why they didn't get Sam Darnold in the 2018 draft.

1 hour ago, RoadFan said:

Which is worse?

I'd say Hack in the 2nd was worse.  Obviously he could prove that wrong but Tebow was definitely a more sensible pick.  Even as a Florida fan, I knew Tebow would never be an NFL QB but I can remember saying at the time, I wouldnt bet against him because he's just that type of a competitor/Football player.  While flawed, he did leave college as one of the best to ever play, the most efficient passer in SEC history and the first player in the history of the NCAA to run and throw for 20+ TD's in a season.  And for as short as his career was, that ride he took the Broncos on was wild...all those comebacks in dramatic fashion, his all or nothing play, the playoff win vs. the Steelers.  Hack is going to be very fortunate to have that much success in the NFL. 

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Exactly. Sure if there was game film on Hack in the pros this would be the discussion. There isn't. So right now this is what it is. :)

Maybe I'm just depressed that we're discussing our 2nd round QB's inability to do the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything.....errrrr...wait...darts?  Darts you use the same foot, right? 

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I wonder what Jet fans will say if this kid starts the season, has a 50% completion percentage rate, throws for 3000 yards, with 20TDs and 12 INTs and the Jets win 7 games in the season .

I'd say 50% completion is unacceptable in today's game but otherwise, I'd be very optimistic. 

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Right on... Please the guy has been playing QB his entire adult life and has a problem with his footwork facing the target so why does anyone think that he will not revert back to the open hip arm thrower he was in College when a 300 lb Lineman is in his face, or a LB for that matter.  Like a boxer who has poor defensive mechanics and is trained to be better always reverts back to his tendencies when he gets hit and hurt! 

best case scenario is I am wrong and Petty is better than both.... but that is a stretch too!

PS.  Thanks for the analysis it was right on.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe I'm just depressed that we're discussing our 2nd round QB's inability to do the most basic mechanic in the art of throwing anything.....errrrr...wait...darts?  Darts you use the same foot, right? 

I guess I see what you are saying. It is sad that we have to discuss this. You would assume that even if the QB ended up being bad, these sort of mechanical things wouldn't ever be the reason why for a pick that high.

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I guess I see what you are saying. It is sad that we have to discuss this. You would assume that even if the QB ended up being bad, these sort of mechanical things wouldn't ever be the reason why for a pick that high.

No doubt.  I mean, other than letting go of the object in your hand at the right time, what is more important than stepping in to your throw?  

It aint easy being green...

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tebow won a million games in college, scored a million touchdowns and sported a 65+ completion percentage. 

You never watched tebow in college if you think he was a better QB prospect than Hackenburg or even Petty..tebow had zero arm strength, awful mechanics and wasn't even that fast for a mobile QB. He was just tebow and was able to out will inferior college talent with gimmick plays. It's the same reason the Mets are giving him a chance.

That doesn't make the hack pick look good, but it's comical to think anyone ever thought tebow could evolve into an NFL QB.

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You never watched tebow in college if you think he was a better QB prospect than Hackenburg or even Petty..tebow had zero arm strength, awful mechanics and wasn't even that fast for a mobile QB. He was just tebow and was able to out will inferior college talent with gimmick plays. It's the same reason the Mets are giving him a chance.

That doesn't make the hack pick look good, but it's comical to think anyone ever thought tebow could evolve into an NFL QB.

I didn't think either were NFL QB's

34 minutes ago, bLguerriero1 said:

Hack had one of the worst offensive lines in college and took something like over 100 sacks in his career... The kid is gun shy... you can see him not stepping to the target and fading away when pressure is coming or the pocket is collapsing.

Changing his footwork mid-career (O'Brien Pro Style/Franklin Spread) definitely didn't help... but I think he's just more afraid of being hit, even if it's subconsciously... he took a beating and in the heat of the moment you see him revert

He's how you draw a quarterback up," McCown said. "Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. 

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tebow won a million games in college, scored a million touchdowns and sported a 65+ completion percentage. 

If only he could hit 55 mph on the radar gun!

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Do you think Hack will finish his NFL playing career with 17 TD's and 9 INT's? 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He's how you draw a quarterback up," McCown said. "Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. 

If only he could hit 55 mph on the radar gun!

He didnt throw at the combine because if he did, he would have willed that ball to 56 MPH!!!!!

50 minutes ago, Scottsdalejet said:

Right on... Please the guy has been playing QB his entire adult life and has a problem with his footwork facing the target so why does anyone think that he will not revert back to the open hip arm thrower he was in College when a 300 lb Lineman is in his face, or a LB for that matter.  Like a boxer who has poor defensive mechanics and is trained to be better always reverts back to his tendencies when he gets hit and hurt! 

best case scenario is I am wrong and Petty is better than both.... but that is a stretch too!

PS.  Thanks for the analysis it was right on.

Basically what some on here are assuming is that once the mechanics are flawed they can never get fixed.  That's why QB's hire consultants and teams hire QB coaches to help players fix these type of issues. I along with many here are flummoxed as to exactly what Patullo(the QB coach) did last year with Hack, by many accounts it was completely nothing and even stated that way from Gailey.

I'm only speaking for myself but as a golfer , bowler etc , I know mechanical issues can get fixed through guidance and repetition, sure both sports don't entail 300Lb men trying to take your head off - but the mechanics are all muscle memory types of movements which can be corrected.

Archived