Christian Hackenberg- Foot Mechanics

JetNation

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/27/2017 at 8:43 PM, Cyberjet said:

Wasn't that the point with him? He wasn't pro ready, had a offense system that didn't prepare him for the pros but had the skillset. Needed work on his mechanics and accuracy. These are fixable problems as opposed to natural talent.

There were a few things wrong, but one of the biggest being that the system didn't actually fit him because it was a slow developing system, that relied heavily on the offensive line holding up.  He also had bad mechanics, with a good part of it due to the hits he was taking, and the lack of progression from being a true freshman.  

On 5/27/2017 at 9:19 PM, Hael said:

I would say accuracy is the one thing you can't fix in a QB.  It's almost never happened that an innacurate QB became an accurate one.  A few exceptions notwithstanding  it's almost never happened.

Of course that's not the death of a QB either, bc there have been decent qbs that have succeeded with accuracy issues (McNabb, Newton), but then they had other intangibles that made them successful.

Accuracy can get better from college to pros (Montana, Carson Palmer, and I think Matt Ryan too) but it depends on the system and any tangible changes you can make.  It's not common because most top end QBs go to ideal teams that can develop them.  For example, this year we saw two examples in Watson/Mahomes.  Watson was with a team that was loaded in talent, probably the most talented offense in the country last year.  Mahomes went to a system that is tailor made for the college system to put up numbers.  They won't have that kind of athletic or schematic advantages in the NFL, so chances are they are bound to see a numbers dip.  Even a Mark Sanchez or Matt Stafford, they played with such advantages with the talent around them that it's hard to see them have the same advantages in the NFL.

Look, Hackenberg could suck for all I know.  I'm not even arguing that he's good.  My point is that, he had mechanical issues in his delivery, and if he fixes them, there is a chance he could be good.  Right now, his biggest problem is accuracy, and the biggest cause of a lack of accuracy is bad footwork.  If he fixes the footwork, I think he has a chance to fix his accuracy issues.  Now, I don't know how he picks up the game speed of the NFL, playbook, or the talent around him, but if his mechanics are better, he has a better chance to be good.  

15 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hack has every physical tool needed to succeed in the league. He also has a high football IQ, great work ethic, and overall strong personal character.

His mechanics were shot due to constant pass rush pressure and the beating he took.

Shell shock is a real thing, and if he can't get over that fear of getting leveled, takes his eyes off the secondary, no amount of footwork practice will save him, and he'll be out of the league in a few years.

He's a rare case, who is truly is boom or bust, exactly as he was labeled in the draft. 

For all the impatient folk, his best shot was sitting year 1, and taking his time having every nuance of this new system understood before throwing him out there. Best way to get rid the ball quick is to master your playbook first. Id say he sits til mid season, gets 8 games this year, and next year to truly gauge him. 

Carson Palmer basically sat a year.  Chad Pennington sat a year.  Tom Brady sat a year.  Peyton Manning had one of the worst rookie seasons ever.  Drew Brees for all intents and purposes sat a year.  Philip Rivers sat two years.  Kirk Cousins sat (except one injury game) for a year.  It's not really all that unprecedented for a QB to sit a year, but the NY media makes it out as if we picked a kid in HS and we're just waiting for him.  

His case is really hard to judge from the past, because it's pretty unique.  He would have been much better if he got out of Penn State, but for some reason he did not.  

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I've deduced that a wide majority of the excuses you've levied for Hackenberg seem to have been disqualified by the fact the team was in the top ten a few months after Hackenberg left. Just say that Hackenberg has some talent, you have high hopes, and that we should disregard almost everything about Hackenberg's history other than parts of a freshman season where it looked like he had an NFL future. There's nothing wrong with that. 

Well the biggest reason for the change is the offense.  Besides having offensive lineman, they went to a fast pace, quick read offense of Jeff Moorhead.  The two years prior to that, they had John Donovan as the OC, and he's basically known for grind out offensive efforts that we saw with Rex Ryan.  The years before he was the OC for PSU, he was in the same spot at Vanderbilt (people legitimately hated his offense here) and they ran one of the worst offenses out there.  The problem with the offense is that, it's fine if you can match up talent wise with the defense.  However, if you can't, then this isn't a gimmick offense that can generate stats.  

You can go through the game logs to see them face teams with top say 50 defenses, and how mediocre they end up being from 2011-2013.  They will beat up on teams like middle Tennessee state, but then regress badly against good teams.  

Joe Moorhead installed a much different system, based on fast pace, and that's a big difference in college football.  The other example is Indiana, they installed a fast pace spread system.  They went from one of the worst offensive teams in 2010 and 2011 to very good one in 2012 and I think too 10 in 2013.  It's not because they suddenly had an influx of talent, but the talent they had mixed well with the system.  

14 hours ago, nicg4360 said:

It's obvious there has been much invested time in trashing our 2nd round pick. While reading this thread it is quite clear there are some that are quite convinced that hell or high water Hack is never going to amount to anything. The others which I am one of as well are HOPEFUL he can turn it around and fully understand he needs work and COULD fail. Not saying he can be our QB but HE IS A JET. As a fan I am supporting a player on our roster. MANY players not necessarily QBs come onto NFL rosters with question marks and need coaching to develop into well rounded players. These players come and go but I've never seen a player takes over the coals like Hackenberg without even getting some actual game experience with sometime playing with the first team. Seriously what has this guy done to some of these posters....did he shoot your dog? Wishing him out of the league yea that's great good stuff. Hackenberg has had good mechanics, getting back to that on a consistent basis is what's involved here....he is not learning it from scratch.
Let me repeat I am not sure he is the answer. He may just end up being a backup for whoever we draft next year. But hey he may be able to be that quality backup every team would like to have. If that's what it is that's what it is and that's not a bad thing in the end.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

Yeah, it's not a given that he will be good, but his chances are better with cleaner mechanics.  He has the potential to be good but he needs to fix his accuracy issues and that could stem from mechanics.   

13 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

In 2014 Penn St had FOUR (3 when Dieffenbach returned from injury later in the year) first year starters on the O-line including converted defensive players.

In 2015 Penn St lost it's top two linemen, Dieffenbach and Smith, and had a couple red shirt players getting their feet wet with playing time.

In 2016 Penn St hired a new o-line coach and ALL those first year starters have now been together for a few seasons and were poised to breakout as upperclassmen.  It's kind of crazy how much a kid can improve from freshman to junior/senior years.

So the growing pains suffered through the Hack years led to the Rose Bowl year.

They also replaced the OC, and it's a brand new system.  They went away from the Donovan system, which relies on the deep pass out of running sets.  When he was in Vandy, the team liked to run the ball over and over, then take shots with longer developing plays.  It worked fine against mediocre opponents, but once they faced good teams, it was a struggle.  

With the sanctions, PSU just didn't have the talent to compete, they were one of those filler teams talent wise and it's not a match.  

Now, they have a more wide open offense, which should score more points because a quick pass offense is much better suited for college.  

9 hours ago, glenn31 said:

It's almost like that quote: "If a debate is needed whether or not a guy is a HOFer, chances are he ain't." This can absolutely be applied to franchise QBs and to a lesser extent even starting QBs, but we're having a friggin debate over whether this kid can gain or (regain) his proper fundamental mechanics JUST to compete for a future on this QB starved team. Am I the only one who finds this utterly insane???

Call me negative, call me SOJF, I don't care, but if this is what we're debating about a 2nd round pick heading into year two, no way in hell am I betting that we get to the next level of debates about this kid.

I think it's fun to have a debate, what's the harm?  There are plenty of guys that sat a year (or multiple years) so it's not unprecedented that a QB sits.  Since he didn't practice as much last year, we don't really know how he has looked beyond "anonymous" sources.  From the film, we can clearly see that he has issues with his mechanics.  If he fixes those mechanical problems, chances are his accuracy issues are less of a worry.  He's not really competing for just a future, but competing for the starting job, but we won't know for sure if the issues are fixed until the pre-season.  

4 hours ago, win4ever said:

I think it's fun to have a debate, what's the harm?  There are plenty of guys that sat a year (or multiple years) so it's not unprecedented that a QB sits.  Since he didn't practice as much last year, we don't really know how he has looked beyond "anonymous" sources.  From the film, we can clearly see that he has issues with his mechanics.  If he fixes those mechanical problems, chances are his accuracy issues are less of a worry.  He's not really competing for just a future, but competing for the starting job, but we won't know for sure if the issues are fixed until the pre-season.  

A fun debate was (circa 2002) whether or not that young unknown QB on the bench with the last name of Pennington (who's only knock at that point was that he wouldn't let 'er rip in practice and was over-thinking according to Herm) was ready to unseat the grizzled veteran Testaverde.

We're debating whether or not Tory Woodbury can throw a football without falling over himself.

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

There were a few things wrong, but one of the biggest being that the system didn't actually fit him because it was a slow developing system, that relied heavily on the offensive line holding up.  He also had bad mechanics, with a good part of it due to the hits he was taking, and the lack of progression from being a true freshman.  

Accuracy can get better from college to pros (Montana, Carson Palmer, and I think Matt Ryan too) but it depends on the system and any tangible changes you can make.  It's not common because most top end QBs go to ideal teams that can develop them.  For example, this year we saw two examples in Watson/Mahomes.  Watson was with a team that was loaded in talent, probably the most talented offense in the country last year.  Mahomes went to a system that is tailor made for the college system to put up numbers.  They won't have that kind of athletic or schematic advantages in the NFL, so chances are they are bound to see a numbers dip.  Even a Mark Sanchez or Matt Stafford, they played with such advantages with the talent around them that it's hard to see them have the same advantages in the NFL.

Look, Hackenberg could suck for all I know.  I'm not even arguing that he's good.  My point is that, he had mechanical issues in his delivery, and if he fixes them, there is a chance he could be good.  Right now, his biggest problem is accuracy, and the biggest cause of a lack of accuracy is bad footwork.  If he fixes the footwork, I think he has a chance to fix his accuracy issues.  Now, I don't know how he picks up the game speed of the NFL, playbook, or the talent around him, but if his mechanics are better, he has a better chance to be good.  

Carson Palmer basically sat a year.  Chad Pennington sat a year.  Tom Brady sat a year.  Peyton Manning had one of the worst rookie seasons ever.  Drew Brees for all intents and purposes sat a year.  Philip Rivers sat two years.  Kirk Cousins sat (except one injury game) for a year.  It's not really all that unprecedented for a QB to sit a year, but the NY media makes it out as if we picked a kid in HS and we're just waiting for him.  

His case is really hard to judge from the past, because it's pretty unique.  He would have been much better if he got out of Penn State, but for some reason he did not.  

Well the biggest reason for the change is the offense.  Besides having offensive lineman, they went to a fast pace, quick read offense of Jeff Moorhead.  The two years prior to that, they had John Donovan as the OC, and he's basically known for grind out offensive efforts that we saw with Rex Ryan.  The years before he was the OC for PSU, he was in the same spot at Vanderbilt (people legitimately hated his offense here) and they ran one of the worst offenses out there.  The problem with the offense is that, it's fine if you can match up talent wise with the defense.  However, if you can't, then this isn't a gimmick offense that can generate stats.  

You can go through the game logs to see them face teams with top say 50 defenses, and how mediocre they end up being from 2011-2013.  They will beat up on teams like middle Tennessee state, but then regress badly against good teams.  

Joe Moorhead installed a much different system, based on fast pace, and that's a big difference in college football.  The other example is Indiana, they installed a fast pace spread system.  They went from one of the worst offensive teams in 2010 and 2011 to very good one in 2012 and I think too 10 in 2013.  It's not because they suddenly had an influx of talent, but the talent they had mixed well with the system.  

Yeah, it's not a given that he will be good, but his chances are better with cleaner mechanics.  He has the potential to be good but he needs to fix his accuracy issues and that could stem from mechanics.   

They also replaced the OC, and it's a brand new system.  They went away from the Donovan system, which relies on the deep pass out of running sets.  When he was in Vandy, the team liked to run the ball over and over, then take shots with longer developing plays.  It worked fine against mediocre opponents, but once they faced good teams, it was a struggle.  

With the sanctions, PSU just didn't have the talent to compete, they were one of those filler teams talent wise and it's not a match.  

Now, they have a more wide open offense, which should score more points because a quick pass offense is much better suited for college.  

I was all for Hack sitting the first year, and Fitz didn't completely sh*t the bed, sitting this year as well. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but he's gotta get comfortable in that pocket or he's gonna be useless.

21 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Tomshane has an agenda. He refuses to acknowledge sound arguments like the one you presented. PSU was a clusterf*ck thanks to the NCAA's punishments. Not to mention Mcsorley is a far more mobile QB that has also had much better Oline play. His ability to scramble helped him succeed where Hack, a pure pocket passer struggled. 

The biggest mistake Hack made was being loyal to PSU and their fans and staying on board when he was given a "get out of jail free card" by the NCAA. Instead, he thought he could will his way to success despite the lack of talent around him. Clearly, it was a mistake for his career. But in an era of selfish players and instagram/snapchatters Hack is a legit high character guy that also possess all the tools an NFL QB needs. 

Based on what people saw of him as a freshman and his talent he was still coveted by many NFL teams. Not sure I would have reached for him in the 2nd, but we saw talented, yet unproven and flawed QBs get drafted in the 1st/2nd round every year (see guys like Mahomes/Kizer this year). So if the jets really loved his talent then I don't mind the selection. 

To me this what stands out about his situation . He could have left went to a PAC10 school and probably compiled gaudy stats that everyone loves. Instead he chose to ride out his comittment to PSU , it shows a great deal of leadership and confidence, even if it was probably not the smartest choice. 

17 hours ago, glenn31 said:

It's almost like that quote: "If a debate is needed whether or not a guy is a HOFer, chances are he ain't." This can absolutely be applied to franchise QBs and to a lesser extent even starting QBs, but we're having a friggin debate over whether this kid can gain or (regain) his proper fundamental mechanics JUST to compete for a future on this QB starved team. Am I the only one who finds this utterly insane???

Call me negative, call me SOJF, I don't care, but if this is what we're debating about a 2nd round pick heading into year two, no way in hell am I betting that we get to the next level of debates about this kid.

When your best other option is Josh Mccown your damn right we're debating and hoping this kid can develop. 

33 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

To me this what stands out about his situation . He could have left went to a PAC10 school and probably compiled gaudy stats that everyone loves. Instead he chose to ride out his comittment to PSU , it shows a great deal of leadership and confidence, even if it was probably not the smartest choice. 

Hackenberg certainly could have decommitted.  He had discussions with O'Brien, and he very much liked the offense that O'Brien had installed (pro style). O'Brien had used what scholarships he had left in supplementing skill positions that had to be attractive for Hackenberg. There were top of class Tight Ends, Wide receivers and running backs in that mix. 

What PSU was not able to do was put any stock in the offensive line. With the limited numbers they had, it was just impossible to pay attention to everything. Add injuries into that mix and it was a volatile part of the team.

Complicating matters for Hack was the defection of O'Brien. Franklin brought in mostly his staff, there were few holdovers and John Donovan was named offensive coordinator. His style of play did not mesh with Hack's pro style aptitude and was recipe for disaster. Hack's body language (HIS problem), just seemed to deteriorate as time wore on. Donovan was fired before the Bowl game in 20915, but the damage was done. It is a shame that Hack did not get to work with Joe Morehead who has been brought on, as he seems to have a much better ability to adapt to players he inherited. As a matter of fact, I am shocked that no team hired Morehead as its head coach this past offseason. Someone will in 2018.

I don't fault O'Brien for moving (many PSU fans do). He always wanted to coach at the pro level. But that was the move that seemingly doomed Hackenberg.

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I actually get all my news from Bleacher Report, not just NFL stuff

The man can't even fill out a bracket correctly, let alone make predictions

Doug Farrar

doug-farrar-2016-playoff-bracket-1.jpg

Seattle and Kansas City are the NFL’s hottest teams right now, and as much as momentum has a funny way of shifting, I think this postseason sees the proverbial “teams you don’t want to face” winning out. Right now, I see them as the two most complete teams in all facets. Carolina could get undone by an uneven run game and inconsistent receivers, and the Patriots are losing the war of attrition. Seahawks vs. Chiefs in Super Bowl 50 is a great matchup in so many ways if it happens, but I know Seattle can’t possibly keep this offensive pace going through four road games.

3 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Doug Farrar

doug-farrar-2016-playoff-bracket-1.jpg

Seattle and Kansas City are the NFL’s hottest teams right now, and as much as momentum has a funny way of shifting, I think this postseason sees the proverbial “teams you don’t want to face” winning out. Right now, I see them as the two most complete teams in all facets. Carolina could get undone by an uneven run game and inconsistent receivers, and the Patriots are losing the war of attrition. Seahawks vs. Chiefs in Super Bowl 50 is a great matchup in so many ways if it happens, but I know Seattle can’t possibly keep this offensive pace going through four road games.

Oh jeez...is there a way to delete a post

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Anyone can make stupid predictions, hey we have all done it. But, when you can't even put teams in the right bracket, you be be sports challenged.

Trying to decide if I should delete the post or leave it up to continue shaming me indefinitely

Just now, NoBowles said:

Yeah, but it sounds cool as hell, no?

Nothing you say sounds cool as hell. Rather, it's just another wimpy attempt at riling up others to take on those whom you're incapable of verbally beating on your own.

So many have seen your cringeworthy - and one might say, "agenda-driven" - meltdowns numerous times here. Therefore all you've got is to try this "enemy of my enemy" angle.

That's more of what it sounds like. But carry on. ;) 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nothing you say sounds cool as hell. Rather, it's just another wimpy attempt at riling up others to take on those whom you're incapable of verbally beating on your own.

So many have seen your cringeworthy - and one might say, "agenda-driven" - meltdowns numerous times here. Therefore all you've got is to try this "enemy of my enemy" angle.

That's more of what it sounds like. But carry on. ;) 

Lol, you go with yo badass self!

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Hackenberg certainly could have decommitted.  He had discussions with O'Brien, and he very much liked the offense that O'Brien had installed (pro style). O'Brien had used what scholarships he had left in supplementing skill positions that had to be attractive for Hackenberg. There were top of class Tight Ends, Wide receivers and running backs in that mix. 

What PSU was not able to do was put any stock in the offensive line. With the limited numbers they had, it was just impossible to pay attention to everything. Add injuries into that mix and it was a volatile part of the team.

Complicating matters for Hack was the defection of O'Brien. Franklin brought in mostly his staff, there were few holdovers and John Donovan was named offensive coordinator. His style of play did not mesh with Hack's pro style aptitude and was recipe for disaster. Hack's body language (HIS problem), just seemed to deteriorate as time wore on. Donovan was fired before the Bowl game in 20915, but the damage was done. It is a shame that Hack did not get to work with Joe Morehead who has been brought on, as he seems to have a much better ability to adapt to players he inherited. As a matter of fact, I am shocked that no team hired Morehead as its head coach this past offseason. Someone will in 2018.

I don't fault O'Brien for moving (many PSU fans do). He always wanted to coach at the pro level. But that was the move that seemingly doomed Hackenberg.

I'd imagine Franklin could leave and get a big job, too. Guy steered a mid-major all the way back from the precipice.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I'd imagine Franklin could leave and get a big job, too. Guy steered a mid-major all the way back from the precipice.

Franklin's head was being called for by the fan base after loses to Pitt and Michigan just this past year. Then, miraculously they opened up the offense. 

Anybody can leave any program, but PSU is a dream job for Franklin. He is a Pennsylvania boy, working at a program that has a rabid fan base, is able to draw top 10 classes, and is national draw.

Again, anything can happen.

Maybe you don't understand what a mid-major is, but PSU is in a Power 5 conference.

Hard to judge Hack based on his time at Pedophile State.  The whole place was a mess once Sandusky was found out and there wasn't much to work with once they dealt with a mass exodus.

Hack was loyal to a fault here.  The best thing he could've done for himself was to go to a school that wasn't embroiled in a kid touching scandal and focus on football.

Gotta' give him credit for hanging in there though.

17 hours ago, glenn31 said:

A fun debate was (circa 2002) whether or not that young unknown QB on the bench with the last name of Pennington (who's only knock at that point was that he wouldn't let 'er rip in practice and was over-thinking according to Herm) was ready to unseat the grizzled veteran Testaverde.

We're debating whether or not Tory Woodbury can throw a football without falling over himself.

There were a lot to debate back then too, because when Pennington came out, there were major questions about his arm strength, and level of competition he faced.  While we know the outcome is positive (besides the injuries) now, we can't say that it wasn't a heated discussion there.  He pretty much sat there for two years, while Vinny Testervede wasn't exactly lighting it up with his 69 and 75 passer ratings.    

It's not really about if he can throw without falling down, it's his accuracy levels being tied to his mechanics.  If he fixes his mechanics, then his accuracy gets better.  If not, he doesn't get better.  Figured it was a good discussion.

If you have more sane topics to debate, by all means hit the "Post New Topic" button and fire away.  

14 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I was all for Hack sitting the first year, and Fitz didn't completely sh*t the bed, sitting this year as well. I think the kid has a lot of potential, but he's gotta get comfortable in that pocket or he's gonna be useless.

I want to see him this year, mainly because I think next year's QB crop is one of the deepest in a long time.  So I would like to see how he's going to respond this year, because going into Year 3 with an unknown commodity is an injury away from disaster.   I didn't think he was going to start last year, and I sort of understand why they didn't let him play.  I wish we dropped Fitz as soon as he was benched (not that I was a fan of resigning him either last year), moved Hackenberg up in the rotation, and just signed someone else to be a backup off the street.  On the practice field at least, I thought Hackenberg warranted more reps than someone like Fitz, who would have no upside since he was guaranteed to be a free agent.  

In the pre-season, I think we will know if Hackenberg has improved, for sure or not.  

I'm also not counting out Petty, but that's another discussion for another day.  I really think he's somewhat under-rated in the media's eye (and therefore most Jets fans as well) but he showed some really good arm talent last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if Petty beat Hackenberg out, and remember last year, many were clamoring for Petty to be given a shot in the pre-season.  

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

Hard to judge Hack based on his time at Pedophile State.  The whole place was a mess once Sandusky was found out and there wasn't much to work with once they dealt with a mass exodus.

Hack was loyal to a fault here.  The best thing he could've done for himself was to go to a school that wasn't embroiled in a kid touching scandal and focus on football.

Gotta' give him credit for hanging in there though.

I don't understand why he didn't move because the sanctions happened with his career path in the way.  And he couldn't have possibly looked at Franklin/Donovan duo at Vanderbilt and said "Well these guys know how to run an offense".  

Basically, he either works his accuracy problems enough this offseason or he won't.  I think we've beaten it enough into the ground as possible.  I really don't even have a problem with McCown starting really.  Say we wait until four or five games (losses) in to start Hack. That gives us still enough time to see if he has any promise.  And we don't lose any ground in trying to get the number 1 pick.

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

I don't understand why he didn't move because the sanctions happened with his career path in the way.  And he couldn't have possibly looked at Franklin/Donovan duo at Vanderbilt and said "Well these guys know how to run an offense".  

As I said, he was loyal to a fault,

5 hours ago, win4ever said:

I'm just wondering, why is it called "New All-22"?  That's the TV angle because the NFL didn't release coaches tape for the pre-season.

I thought the same thing.  Tried to watch the Hack pre-season All-22 and it wasn't available.  I thought maybe as a reporter he had access, but none of the shots are from the All-22.

6 hours ago, win4ever said:

I want to see him this year, mainly because I think next year's QB crop is one of the deepest in a long time.  So I would like to see how he's going to respond this year, because going into Year 3 with an unknown commodity is an injury away from disaster.   I didn't think he was going to start last year, and I sort of understand why they didn't let him play.  I wish we dropped Fitz as soon as he was benched (not that I was a fan of resigning him either last year), moved Hackenberg up in the rotation, and just signed someone else to be a backup off the street.  On the practice field at least, I thought Hackenberg warranted more reps than someone like Fitz, who would have no upside since he was guaranteed to be a free agent.  

In the pre-season, I think we will know if Hackenberg has improved, for sure or not.  

I'm also not counting out Petty, but that's another discussion for another day.  I really think he's somewhat under-rated in the media's eye (and therefore most Jets fans as well) but he showed some really good arm talent last year.  I wouldn't be shocked if Petty beat Hackenberg out, and remember last year, many were clamoring for Petty to be given a shot in the pre-season.  

One of our many problems last year was keeping Fitz and Geno. I get the re-signing of Fitz (lets see if we can build on the 2015 magic bla bla bla) I'm just glad Mac was smart enough to kee it to a one year deal. But they should have cut bait with Geno and given reps to Petty and Hack. 

They thought Geno was good enough to keep us in contention if Fitz got hurt. Again, a waste and overly wishful thinking. 

I like Petty a lot. I have no idea how far along he is with reading defenses and maintaing a huddle and grasping pro offense concepts. 

I do know Mac has said that they drafted Petty with the expectation of him being a good long term back up for them, and anything after that is gravy. They drafted Hacken to be the starter (at some point). So we'll see what happens. 

Archived