Teammate on Christian Hackenberg: 'He's how you draw a quarterback up'

Gas2No99

Teammate on Christian Hackenberg: 'He's how you draw a quarterback up'

Screen-Shot-2016-05-31-at-11.15.00-AM.pn

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Josh McCown knows quarterbacks. He could write a book on all the different quarterbacks he's played with over 15 years -- a Hall of Famer (Kurt Warner), a colossal bust (JaMarcus Russell) and a train wreck (Johnny Manziel), to name a few.

This week, McCown was asked to size up Christian Hackenberg, one of his new teammates with the New York Jets.

"He's how you draw a quarterback up," McCown said. "Big, strong arm, athletic. He fits that mold, for sure. And his mindset, it's right on. He works very hard. I think he's a sharp kid. He's got a lot in front of him. He's got a great opportunity."

It sounded like he was reading from Mike Maccagnan's scouting report on Hackenberg. The Jets' general manager saw those same traits in Hackenberg last year, which is why he drafted him in the second round -- higher than many teams projected.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0525%2Fr212595_1

Jets quarterbacks Josh McCown (left) and Christian Hackenberg during organized team activities this week. Ed Mulholland-USA TODAY Sports

That doesn't matter now because this is Year 2 of the Hackenberg Project, and the Jets are committed to finding out if he can develop into a starting quarterback. They see what McCown sees -- the arm and the measurables -- but they can't say for sure if he'll put it all together. They're hoping.

"Just make strides from last year," said coach Todd Bowles, explaining his 2017 expectations. "Obviously, he’s going to get a lot of reps, and we’re going to get to see him come out of his shell a little bit. He didn’t get a lot of reps last year, he gets a lot of reps this year. We'll see how he handles it going forward. ... Hopefully, he makes a step forward."

The Jets wrapped up their first week of OTA practices on Thursday. Three practices down, seven to go, followed by a three-day minicamp. Don't expect a definitive conclusion by then; this will be a season-long process for Hackenberg, who is splitting reps with McCown and Bryce Petty in what the Jets are calling a three-way competition.

Offensive coordinator John Morton, hired in January to replace Chan Gailey, spent part of his offseason digging into Hackenberg's past. He studied three years of game tape from Penn State and tape from his rookie season, which didn't take long. Hackenberg appeared in only two preseason games and attempted just 47 passes -- 17 completions (36 percent), one touchdown, two interceptions and 159 yards.

Hackenberg didn't play in the regular season, as you may have heard.

"I love the way he prepares and the way he competes," Morton said. "I'm talking about competing in the classroom, too. Guys have to learn to do that, and be a pro and be a student of the game, and learn to take notes and those things. He's doing those things, but it's too early to tell right now, football-wise.":blink:

McCown believes part of his job is to help groom Hackenberg and Petty. (Paging @dbatesman - "Why McCown was Brough IN!" :D)

"I want to take my experiences and be able to hand it to those guys, so, hopefully, maybe they can stay in one place for a long time," McCown said.

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

I said it before and I'll say it again: I have never in my life been as excited for a training camp as I am for this one.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, I have a big fat boner now.

That makes three of us. 

It's funny because I think the same things were said about McCown at one point. 

The NFL's Secret Freak Athlete: Josh McCown Absolutely Destroyed the 2002 NFL Combine

Mute
Current Time0:52
/
Duration Time1:26
Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%

Now Playing
How to Perform the 5-10-5 Shuttle Drill

When I say the name "Josh McCown," you probably don't think "freak athlete," right?

After all, he's a lanky 37-year-old journeyman with a record of 18-39 as a starting NFL QB. Also, plays like this don't exactly scream "superb athlete":

@SportsCenter @espn @SportsNation Josh McCown's Fumble/interception might be worse than 50 Cent on #SCNotTop10

However, looks can be deceiving. Going off pure measurables, Josh McCown is an absolute athletic freak. In fact, he might be one of the most athletic quarterbacks in NFL history. How do I know? Because McCown absolutely destroyed the 2002 NFL Combine. Check out these numbers (all data per nflcombineresults.com):

• McCown measured in at just over 6-foot-3 and weighed 223 pounds
  • McCown posted a 38.5-inch Vertical Jump
  • McCown jumped a 10-foot Broad Jump
  • McCown recorded a 3.90 20-Yard Short Shuttle
  • McCown recorded a 6.85 3-Cone Drill
  • McCown ran a 4.59 40-Yard Dash

Those numbers are pretty impressive in their own right. But when you compare them to how other quarterbacks have performed at the Combine, it becomes clear that McCown is a serious outlier. Combine data goes back to 1999, so let's see how McCown stacks up.

RELATED: Max Out Your Speed and Strength With This NFL Combine Training Program

His 20-Yard Short Shuttle is the second-best by a quarterback in Combine history, ahead of guys like Johnny Manziel and Tyrod Taylor.

His Vertical Jump is tied for the fifth-best by a quarterback in Combine history, ahead of players like Michael Vick and Marcus Mariota.

His Broad Jump is tied for the 20th-best by a quarterback in Combine history, ahead of guys like Russell Wilson and Donovan McNabb.

His 40-Yard Dash is tied for the 29th-best by a quarterback in Combine history. He's just the 10th quarterback to run a 4.59 or faster while also being at least 76 inches tall.

His 3-Cone Drill is tied for the 30th-best in Combine history, ahead of guys like Cam Newton.

McCown's SPARQ score, a number that takes into account an athlete's size and measurables, is the fifth-best in NFL history.

Josh McCown has the 5th-highest QB SPARQ of anyone since 1999.

McCown's incredible Combine performance helped him rocket up the draft board. He was ultimately selected with the 81st overall pick by the Arizona Cardinals.

If you think he's lost all of the athleticism that helped him post those crazy numbers, you'd be wrong:

Joe Haden said the Browns have been playing basketball together after practice. Said Josh McCown threw down a 360-dunk the other day

Excited to bring back my friend, #QFest14 Celebrity Basketball MVP & Browns QB @JoshMcCown12 to #QFest16! pic.twitter.com/MLXKVt07G5

ykqJoyAimyEue1uI.jpg

Excited to bring back my friend, #QFest14 Celebrity Basketball MVP & Browns QB @JoshMcCown12 to #QFest16!

Strange but true—clumsy Josh McCown really is an athletic freak.

RELATED: 10 Off-Season Drills and Tips for Quarterbacks

Well I hope that Hack can play I really do but until he proves it on the field its all just speculation. Of course the coaches are talking him up what else can they do? He is all they have right now and they have to stand behind him.

2 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Well I hope that Hack can play I really do but until he proves it on the field its all just speculation. Of course the coaches are talking him up what else can they do? He is all they have right now and they have to stand behind him.

They have Josh McDreamy.

10 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Huh? You both were SCREAMING for Paxton Lynch last year.

oh well, I guess my biscuit will have to stay limp forever then.

I like Lynch. Dbatesman did not. Your team drafted a bad ILB instead.

Those Jets second rounders. Feel like we could've seen these:

Teammate on Stephen Hill: 'He's how you draw a wide receiver up.'

Teammate on Jace Amaro: 'He's how you draw a tight end up.'

Too bad the reasons the otherwise prototypical guys fall to the second round end up being really problematic.

To be fair I do think there is a chance, albeit a small one, Hackenberg surprises in a good way and I'll be rooting for him. Just not holding my breath for one of these upside second rounders to pan out. If Maye ends up being a legitimate starting safety for like 3-4 seasons he may be the best second round pick in ten years.

Archived