Giants' Damon Harrison to Jets' Sheldon Richardson: 'Get away from the damn microphone'

Gas2No99

Giants' Damon Harrison to Jets' Sheldon Richardson: 'Get away from the damn microphone'

EAST RUTHERFORD -- So Damon Harrison, were you surprised by the fact Sheldon Richardson ripped Brandon Marshall again?

"I never heard Sheldon's comments," the Giants' jolly All-Pro defensive tackle said (rather unconvincingly) when asked about what Richardson, his old Jets mate, said about Marshall, his current Giants counterpart and one-time fellow Jet.

Everybody in the tri-state area heard Richardson's comments. The guy trended on Twitter, after all. But to play along, a reporter filled Harrison in about how Richardson said there were "15 reasons" why the Jets' locker room is better this season, a clear reference to his long-running beef with the veteran wide receiver.

"Fifteen reasons? Did he name them?"

Harrison was then told Richardson was referring to the fact Marshall wore No. 15 with the Jets (and still does with the Giants).

Marshall takes the high road on Sheldon

"Brandon's jersey number? Pretty clever, Sheldon," Harrison said to laughs. "Oh wow. You got to keep the mic away from Sheldon, man. He then hammed it up and looked directly into the assembled cameras, generating even more laughs: "Sheldon, get away from the damn microphone."

End scene.

It's not necessarily a joking matter for the Giants, though. Richardson may just be blowing off steam, but Marshall is no longer a Jet. He is a Giant, and what Richardson - admittedly not a guy with a sterling reputation - said may cause concern for some around here. Harrison said he didn't spend a lot of time with Marshall during their one Jets season together, but he did not seem worried though

"Of course, [teammates] ask me all things New York Jets. He's a good guy and a great competitor," Harrison said of Marshall. "And at the end of the day, bottom line, the guy can help us win a Super Bowl, and that's our ultimate goal."

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Worry about your own dipsh*t teammates, fatass.

I'd like to revisit this article and possible interview with Snacks after a week that Brandon drops 3-4 crucial passes in a loss and then rips the team for effort in an emotional from the heart of a leader locker room speech. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I'd like to revisit this article and possible interview with Snacks after a week that Brandon drops 3-4 crucial passes in a loss and then rips the team for effort in an emotional from the heart of a leader locker room speech. 

Snacks like the true leader he is would still blame himself and what he could have done better on defense to help the offense so it didn't have to come down to just 3 or 4 plays.  That's the difference when you have actual teammates and not a bunch of high paid individuals wearing the same jersey.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Snacks is on a team with Brandon Marshall and Odell Beckham. He needs to mind his own house.

Destory the NFL executive of the year in one post and defend a dope like Sheldon in the next.

That's some trick.

Letting Snacks walk, misplacing Sheldon, and extending lazy Mo... even when the Jets have a dominant position group, they manage to **** it in the ear.

Snacks was head and shoulders above the others as a member of a TEAM. Mo and Sheldon have established a clear history of alienation in the locker room and weak leadership/commitment. Snacks was also pound for pound as good as, if not better than, both... which begs the questions why were they our draft picks? Why are they still Jets getting contracts, while Snacks is part of a winning organization? Why do fools fall in love?

Look back on the 2011 - 2015 drafts, and revisit the 1st round picks alone, and looks how different the makeup of this team could be:

• 2011 - Andy Dalton, certainly not a perfect QB, but better than anyone we've had here in decades - at #30 overall, given the makeup of the team at the time the most obvious best available and biggest need (incredibly, we went on to draft Kenrick Ellis another DL with our 3rd rounder, the 2nd pick we made in this draft)
  • 2012 - Donta Hightower, I'm not a huge fan of ILB in the first round, but we were clearly in a situation where ILB was a roster need, we'd got on to draft Demario Davis in the 3rd round of this same draft, but if you consider best available and need here then you have to think Hightower (who dropped in this draft a little) was a more appealing pick, and the only reason Coples became a Jet is because that fat ******* moron "gave him his word" in pre-draft visits. Sigh, I can't believe that idiots here argued for years that Rex had no accountability for the state of the roster.
  • 2013 - DJ Fluker and Sheldon Richardson, again, when looking at roster needs and best available, these are the guys that stand out to me. Dee Milliner was picked as a reaction to letting Revis walk. The smart play would have been to replace Revis with a veteran at a moderate cost. Our biggest issues at the time were in the trenches, and recall here if we'd taken Dalton in 2011, we'd want to be protecting him. Fluker would have played RT, Brick LT, and it would have been strategically proactive to keep restocking our OL. Sheldon can play. I like him as a player. I would love to have Damon Harrison and Sheldon on the DL, with Hightower and Harris behind them in 2013 - while Dalton is playing QB behind a line that features Brick, Mangold and Fluker.
  • 2014 - Brandon Cooks, because if you want to win games, you have to score points. We have a great OL at this point, a stud defense, and a QB, so weapons are in order here.
  • 2015 - Leonard Williams, 'nuff said.

In this exercise, I didn't go back and cherry pick the only successful players of these drafts with hindsight in my favor. I went back and picked players that met both need and best available requirements at the time, recalling the roster in those off-seasons, and it seemed pretty obvious who the Jets should have taken at the time.

Damn me for doing this, because I made myself physically ill.

2 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

The Giants are going to implode, wait for it. 

I dont see it happening

The owners and executives over there are fully developed adults with strong intellects and have resumes that contain all the needed experience to succeed. (As opposed to whats inhabiting Florham Park.)

Notice ODB cooled his nonsense? Think he was spoken to and convinced to get it right?

WOnder how long they would tolerate what Sheldumb is doing right now this week in the press embarrasing the franchise?

1 hour ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Snacks like the true leader he is would still blame himself and what he could have done better on defense to help the offense so it didn't have to come down to just 3 or 4 plays.  That's the difference when you have actual teammates and not a bunch of high paid individuals wearing the same jersey.

Jets fans are amazing a guy like Snacks who was as good a teammate as there was on the Jets in recent years is now considered a jerk because what? He is on a different team......

Sometimes as a fan base we are a little embarrassing.... Just saying :) 

56 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Jets fans are amazing a guy like Snacks who was as good a teammate as there was on the Jets in recent years is now considered a jerk because what? He is on a different team......

Sometimes as a fan base we are a little embarrassing.... Just saying :) 

Sometimes?? This is a fan base that still believes Rex Ryan is a great HC, and thinks Geno Smith is a great QB.  

2 hours ago, Pac said:

Destory the NFL executive of the year in one post and defend a dope like Sheldon in the next.

That's some trick.

Sheldon's a dope--an even bigger one than you, in fact, which really is some trick. But considering the Giants are going to need padded walls in their wide receiver room by Week 4, I figure Harrison's late lamented veteran leadership might be better spent there.

5 hours ago, JiF said:

I didn't hate Marshall while he was here but I gotta admit, you pretty much nailed it in this post. Like a bullseye. 

14 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Just curious, how do we know Snacks is a "true leader"?   I dont recall him being viewed as such here. 

15 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just curious, how do we know Snacks is a "true leader"?   I dont recall him being viewed as such here. 

Leads by example?

I can't recall one time anything negative about Snacks, can you?  Maybe I'm wrong and between the sh*t storm of Sanchez, Rex, Holmes, Edwards, Geno, Idzik, Marshall, Richardson I may have missed a story?

He was an undrafted FA with hard work and determination rose to be one of the best at his position, always showed up and played hard and always seems to know how to measure his words.

I can't think of a better way to be a true leader honestly.

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Letting Snacks walk, misplacing Sheldon, and extending lazy Mo... even when the Jets have a dominant position group, they manage to **** it in the ear.

Snacks was head and shoulders above the others as a member of a TEAM. Mo and Sheldon have established a clear history of alienation in the locker room and weak leadership/commitment. Snacks was also pound for pound as good as, if not better than, both... which begs the questions why were they our draft picks? Why are they still Jets getting contracts, while Snacks is part of a winning organization? Why do fools fall in love?

Look back on the 2011 - 2015 drafts, and revisit the 1st round picks alone, and looks how different the makeup of this team could be:

• 2011 - Andy Dalton, certainly not a perfect QB, but better than anyone we've had here in decades - at #30 overall, given the makeup of the team at the time the most obvious best available and biggest need (incredibly, we went on to draft Kenrick Ellis another DL with our 3rd rounder, the 2nd pick we made in this draft)
  • 2012 - Donta Hightower, I'm not a huge fan of ILB in the first round, but we were clearly in a situation where ILB was a roster need, we'd got on to draft Demario Davis in the 3rd round of this same draft, but if you consider best available and need here then you have to think Hightower (who dropped in this draft a little) was a more appealing pick, and the only reason Coples became a Jet is because that fat ******* moron "gave him his word" in pre-draft visits. Sigh, I can't believe that idiots here argued for years that Rex had no accountability for the state of the roster.
  • 2013 - DJ Fluker and Sheldon Richardson, again, when looking at roster needs and best available, these are the guys that stand out to me. Dee Milliner was picked as a reaction to letting Revis walk. The smart play would have been to replace Revis with a veteran at a moderate cost. Our biggest issues at the time were in the trenches, and recall here if we'd taken Dalton in 2011, we'd want to be protecting him. Fluker would have played RT, Brick LT, and it would have been strategically proactive to keep restocking our OL. Sheldon can play. I like him as a player. I would love to have Damon Harrison and Sheldon on the DL, with Hightower and Harris behind them in 2013 - while Dalton is playing QB behind a line that features Brick, Mangold and Fluker.
  • 2014 - Brandon Cooks, because if you want to win games, you have to score points. We have a great OL at this point, a stud defense, and a QB, so weapons are in order here.
  • 2015 - Leonard Williams, 'nuff said.

In this exercise, I didn't go back and cherry pick the only successful players of these drafts with hindsight in my favor. I went back and picked players that met both need and best available requirements at the time, recalling the roster in those off-seasons, and it seemed pretty obvious who the Jets should have taken at the time.

Damn me for doing this, because I made myself physically ill.

So we should've drafted Andy Dalton despite the Jets just coming off their 2nd straight AFC Title game appearance AND the Jets investing in a quarterback already on the roster that was drafted 2 years earlier? A guy who at the time looked like he was on a upward trajectory? And you say this wasn't based on hindsight? 

17 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Worry about your own dipsh*t teammates, fatass.

He is. He is defending Marshall. HIS teammate. It's Richardson who should worry about his own teammates. 

Having said that, this is all much-ado-about-nothing. None of this talk matters, really. And it's ironic that snacks is telling Sheldon to get away from the mic while directly inserting himself in this moronic back and forth. 'No comment' would have been the right thing to say. 

11 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Leads by example?

I can't recall one time anything negative about Snacks, can you?  Maybe I'm wrong and between the sh*t storm of Sanchez, Rex, Holmes, Edwards, Geno, Idzik, Marshall, Richardson I may have missed a story?

He was an undrafted FA with hard work and determination rose to be one of the best at his position, always showed up and played hard and always seems to know how to measure his words.

I can't think of a better way to be a true leader honestly.

That's fair, I was just asking.  Doesnt seem like his leadership rubbed off on anyone on the defense but cool.  Was just curious. 

27 minutes ago, August said:

So we should've drafted Andy Dalton despite the Jets just coming off their 2nd straight AFC Title game appearance AND the Jets investing in a quarterback already on the roster that was drafted 2 years earlier? A guy who at the time looked like he was on a upward trajectory? And you say this wasn't based on hindsight? 

Yes, if you recall we had Mark Brunell as our backup. The 2nd round is a perfectly good place to look for a backup QB to develop, eventually turn into an asset and use as bargaining leverage later. It also protects the investment in Sanchez. Yes, absolutely. I've talked about having foresight like this for years on message boards though. Tannenbaum was the furthest thing from a GM with foresight. He is why Jet fans think it's okay to stop investing in QBs for 5 years, because you took one. Probably one of the most gullible points of view in all sports, amongst fans.

24 minutes ago, JiF said:

That's fair, I was just asking.  Doesnt seem like his leadership rubbed off on anyone on the defense but cool.  Was just curious. 

No doubt, its definitely my opinion of him, not sure if anyone has really been asked if they thought he was a leader, I would hazard a guess that many of the guys would have said yes.  That's the thing about good leaders though, they don't want the spotlight, they don't want that type of recognition, they just want to do whats right.  I would have loved to keep snacks but the reality of the situation and the position he held just put the Jets in an impossible situation.  Both Wilk and Harrison should have been solidified long term prior to our current regime but it is what it is and I'm still a snacks fan no matter what jersey he wears.  

To your bolded part though its hard to measure.  But you can always lead a horse to water but you can't force the horse to drink it is all I got on that one

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Yes, if you recall we had Mark Brunell as our backup. The 2nd round is a perfectly good place to look for a backup QB to develop, eventually turn into an asset and use as bargaining leverage later. It also protects the investment in Sanchez. Yes, absolutely. I've talked about having foresight like this for years on message boards though. Tannenbaum was the furthest thing from a GM with foresight. He is why Jet fans think it's okay to stop investing in QBs for 5 years, because you took one. Probably one of the most gullible points of view in all sports, amongst fans.

Tannenbaum drafted and/or brought in quarterbacks throughout his tenure. He definitely didn't draft a guy and that was it. He drafted Clemons then still went ahead and traded up for Sanchez then he drafted McElroy etc. If you believe you have your guy then you put weapons around him. Instead of another quarterback that high how about a WR, TE or RB? If you want a young developmental quarterback then taking one in the 4-6 range makes more sense. 

1 hour ago, August said:

Tannenbaum drafted and/or brought in quarterbacks throughout his tenure. He definitely didn't draft a guy and that was it. He drafted Clemons then still went ahead and traded up for Sanchez then he drafted McElroy etc. If you believe you have your guy then you put weapons around him. Instead of another quarterback that high how about a WR, TE or RB? If you want a young developmental quarterback then taking one in the 4-6 range makes more sense. 

That's nice. My hypothetical is based on my philosophy. I don't understand the point in debating a hypothetical like this.

Archived