Anthony Becht w/ awesome tweet to Jordan Leggett

AFJF

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I would think it would be a great accomplishment for an UDFA to outplay a draft pick . Question, who would you say will be the 1st inducted into the Jets ring of honor, Keyshawn Johnson who was drafted by a 1st round pick or Wayne Chrebet who was undrafted . 

Those names you mentioned have participated in NFL training camps and even in some form of the scheme the Jets are about to institute . What will be new to a rookie will be something that those names have seen before .  It would be un-wise to underestimate those kids with such little as an obstacle in their path .

Maybe you're 10% right, but o love an underdog

Wayne no question a 11 year Jet where KJ played for 4 teams and was the 1st pick in the 1996 draft..

On 5/26/2017 at 7:14 PM, long suffering jets fan said:

Fantastic blocker and dropped a few too many balls, but he was a very good contributor to the Jets and we sorely missed him when he left Jets in the blocking game.  Blocking tight ends are never appreciated, but oh so neccessary.

this is the truth. becht wasn't really a pass catching tight end. he was basically another tackle. he was drafted too high but thats not really his fault

8 hours ago, neckdemon said:

this is the truth. becht wasn't really a pass catching tight end. he was basically another tackle. he was drafted too high but thats not really his fault

He wasn't Mark Bavaro but he wasn't Kyle Brady 2.0 either. His problem was never with catching balls or even getting open, it's that when he had the ball in his hand, NOTHING happened except for a rumble of 5 yards or so and then he gets cut down by a DB he outweighed by 50-60 lbs. I'll never forget when Phil Simms once commented on Becht (and I paraphrase): "Whether you run like a rhino or a gazelle should be determined by your physical attributes. Becht is a rhino who wants to run like a gazelle."

Considering Simms threw to one of the greatest rhinos in NFL history, I'd venture to guess he was deadly accurate on that assessment.

And TEs drafted in the 1st round are guys who can catch and make at least the first tackler miss according to their film & workout numbers (Johnny Mitchell might have been crazy and stupid but on this front he absolutely showed he was drafted in the correct round). Becht must have shown he had some sort of "wiggle" to him to have been taken in the 1st. But he just didn't translate. Chris Baker had much more "wiggle" than he did.

22 hours ago, Tinstar said:

I would think it would be a great accomplishment for an UDFA to outplay a draft pick . Question, who would you say will be the 1st inducted into the Jets ring of honor, Keyshawn Johnson who was drafted by a 1st round pick or Wayne Chrebet who was undrafted . 

Those names you mentioned have participated in NFL training camps and even in some form of the scheme the Jets are about to institute . What will be new to a rookie will be something that those names have seen before .  It would be un-wise to underestimate those kids with such little as an obstacle in their path .

Maybe you're 10% right, but o love an underdog

I agree with you with the Chrebet reference.  I just don't see any of the guys on our roster having the talent/work ethic of Chrebet.  This is t bashing any of those guys.  But each of them have had opportunities here and elsewhere and haven't warranted anything more than camp fodder.  I was intrigued by Bowman but he got hurt the minute he got here after being cut from Jax.

Chrebet blew the doors off the minute he got here.  It didn't hurt that Kotie didn't bring in any veteran WRs other than Wilson.

If ASJ is serious about turning his career around, then Leggett's an afterthought. Decent player who can fill out the roster, but he's not one of the reasons this year's tight end class had me reaching for my groin. 

On 5/28/2017 at 10:02 AM, nycdan said:

Hopefully the playbook will be a little more complicated than:

1D: Run
2D: Run
3D & 8:  6-yard pass to a covered WR
4D: Punt

First thing I'd check is the Glossary to see if TE is defined.

Not sure your math actually works out.  The Jets threw the ball 550 times, only ran the ball 418 times for a 4.3 average

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Not sure your math actually works out.  The Jets threw the ball 550 times, only ran the ball 418 times for a 4.3 average

There is so much chewy goodness in stats. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

A few of my favorites:  NYJ ranked 29th in Drive Success Rate (which measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown).  Or maybe it's that they were ranked 30th in points/drive or dead last (32nd) in Red Zone points and TDs. 

They actually were average (17th) in 3-and-out drives so I guess I will walk that back and we can celebrate together.  But honestly that's akin to waxing nostalgic about how good the food was on the Titanic. 

36 minutes ago, nycdan said:

There is so much chewy goodness in stats. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsoff

A few of my favorites:  NYJ ranked 29th in Drive Success Rate (which measures the percentage of down series that result in a first down or touchdown).  Or maybe it's that they were ranked 30th in points/drive or dead last (32nd) in Red Zone points and TDs. 

They actually were average (17th) in 3-and-out drives so I guess I will walk that back and we can celebrate together.  But honestly that's akin to waxing nostalgic about how good the food was on the Titanic. 

Everyone knows the O sucked, but it had more to do with the fact that the personnel sucked not that they ran ran and then passed on 3rd and 8.  That wasn't happening.  What was happening was they threw the ball a lot with out success.  Bad QBing, mediocre blocking.  bad decisions by the HC.  Like leaving Fitz in when it was obvious he wasn't preforming as he did in 2015  

On May 28, 2017 at 8:13 AM, neckdemon said:

Becht was a good receiver in college.  He was too stiff and slow to be effective as a receiver in college.  Good blocker tho

Archived